• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many people can actually solo

Soloing peerless and/or dark fathers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been wondering for quite sometime just how many people are capable of soloing either peerless or dark fathers, so I thought a poll might be interesting.

I'd like your comments to reflect whether or not you think soloing hurts you or the game.

Looking into my crystal ball I predict very few are capable of soloing these and in my opinion more power to them. I wish I could. I don't feel that they hurt me or the game one bit.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before I joined the Catskills Alliance, I set out to make the most powerful solo template I could. With those templates (I tried two), I could defeat Dread Horn, Paroxy, Travesty and the Dark Father (also Baracoon, but I notice you didn't include champions in the poll)... usually faster than I could with a group (including gathering time, key collection, "I forgot to bring my pots! BRB!" time).

Now I have more fun with groups, and my templates reflect the change in play style. I probably couldn't do any of them alone now, but I can in pairs.

It never hurt me to do it alone. It doesn't hurt me when other people do it alone unless they aren't good at it and it takes forever. Everyone has their own fun, and if soloing peerless is their cup of tea then, as you said, "more power to them."

C

Connor_Graham

I think you're going to get a very skewed number with a poll on this here.

K

Kiminality

I've never done a peerless before.
If I could solo one, I probably wouldn't be particularly public about it. That would include answering "yes" in a poll where people can see I answered yes ;)

Doesn't bother me a bit, what individuals do. There are always those ahead of the curve, and those behind.
If a few people can do alone what most others need groups to do, then they are exceeding the norm, but not causing any harm in principal.
However, without instancing on the peerless bosses, and with the extra time it would take to defeat one solo, they have an impact on the flow of the system.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cannot solo a Peerless or a Dark Father.

On one occasion, My Doom Paladin soloed his way through the lesser Gauntlet bosses, but it was rough going and I'd rather not do it again.

-Galen's player

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't solo peerless or champions and have never been interested in being able to, either.

That said, I don't think the fact that some people can do it hurts the game. At this point in the game's history, I suspect that being able to solo peerless and/or champions may be one of the last challenges left in the game for a number of folks. I can completely understand the comments folks have made about their other reasons for doing it: difficulty getting a small group together to go do it and lack of trust in other players when you do hunt these in a group. I've done peerless with strangers a few times and have seen weird stuff happen with my client crashing multiple times just as it was time to loot and when I recovered and tried to loot before everything went into the common stack. I will never do peerless with strangers again because of things like that.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't, I never will, and I don't want to.
Reasons:

I don't want to use skills just for being able to achieve this goal. There are certain skills that would just mess with my character. Example: My pirate characters are Dread. Chivalry is not an option for them. My mage is "good", so Necromancy is not an option for him.

I don't want to waste a lot of time and gold to be able to solo play. I rather spend my time and gold to encourage team play and communities. (I don't say that improving a suit isn't fun. It just isn't my primary goal.)

I am not interested in being able to "solo". UO is a community game. If I wanted to fight alone, I'd play Diablo 3 or Titan Quest. Why should I bother paying a monthly fee if I focus on solo playing? Of course, sometimes (for example when no friends are around) I also spend some online time alone. But in most occasions I prefer playing with other people.

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can solo the dark father, it just takes forever and I would prefer to do it with a group. I have never tried a peerless, but I think they would be harder.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
a better question might be how many people can solo peerlesses while getting a snack in the kitchen - hehe

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could be right Connor, I hadn't thought of that.

Although I'm also really interested in hearing the reasons people feel like soloing hurts them or the game. I see posts from people who seem to think it's some sort of sin for anyone to be able to do it, calling for this or that nerf, and I always wonder why they feel so strongly about it.

C

Connor_Graham

I don't see how it hurts the game at all. Most of the people that I know that solo anything do so during non peak game times, so they really don't have much choice. Those same people group during peak game time for the simple fact that it takes much less time to take a peerless down with 2 or more people than it does with one. As things stand now, there are still VERY FEW people compared to the total population of UO that can actually solo ANY of the Peerless, and it's actually tamers that are doing it more than Sampires because it's much easier to do it that way.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can solo Baracoon, I could probably solo Rikktor if push came to shove. I can kill three of the others with healing by the protector. Neira is a bit too hard to do that way because of how she jumps around. I can solo the lesser Doom Bosses. I could probably solo a DF if push came to shove, but prefer to have 1 other person with me. Peerless, I cannot solo and have no desire to ... I do them with my husband, so we 2-man them. At least we do Dread, Trav, Paroxy, and Mel. The other two we are working on ... could probably 2-man Grizzle if we could get all the notes in a timely manner. We've been working on doing it with Shimmer, but havent quite hit on the right character combo yet.

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can solo Dreadhorn, Parox, Barracoon, all doom minis and Dark Father if my wife is cutting the bones. Not too hard tbh. The reason I prefer to solo is I find most people in UO are more of a hassle than a help and I don't have to split loot with anyone.

X

Xel Naga

You could be right Connor, I hadn't thought of that.

Although I'm also really interested in hearing the reasons people feel like soloing hurts them or the game. I see posts from people who seem to think it's some sort of sin for anyone to be able to do it, calling for this or that nerf, and I always wonder why they feel so strongly about it.
In my opinion it all comes down to jealousy. It's the same reason why some people will simply key a nice expensive car they see in the parking lot for no apparent reason. Real reason behind it? They see a nice expensive car that someone worked very hard to save up and buy and don't think it's fair that they don't have one. Result? They key the car and try to make it uglier because damaging the situation and ruining it for the people who worked hard for their nice things makes themselves feel better for not working hard for anything themselves.

The same thing applies with the nerfs in the game for the past 10 years. If they see that someone has perfected their skill template, spent hundreds of millions of gold and countless hours of time perfecting a suit of gear to supplement their build, and hours soloing what a group can do in 10 minutes they want it nerfed and make it look like the player can solo it in 5 minutes and get all the loot with no risk. Same exact thing as the real life analogy and keying the cars. The mentality of "If I can't have it, no one can" it's such a childish way to look at things but unfortunately, EA is the parents that spoil the whining child. Instead of telling players to get off their lazy butts and do something constructive to achieve success they dumb down the situation and environment in some way to accommodate the whines. As I've stated in another post http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=104193
It will never be equal people will always find something to complain about being biased or overpowered. Every template that ends up becoming the effective one will simply be nerfed by EA because the vast majority will whine and moan about it until it's changed. The mechanics of moves will keep being altered to accommodate the skill-less, the way npcs react will be buffed because skilled players who have more than half a brain were able to solo it with the most expensive gear around. No even if everyone were naked with no armor, accessories, or weapons to use there will still be someone complaining that the brown horse someone has gives them an advantage over their light brown horse because it blends in better in dungeons when night sight runs out. I wouldn't even doubt it if someone complains that a bald character has an advantage over one with long hair because it's more camouflaged.

Sadly no, since AOS came out, this game will never be equal and about skill ever again. It will always be an item based game and a race to see who can get the best combination of the gear available to better exploit the next overpowered build. That is why UO will never be good again and just be a shadow of what it once was for pvp. And those of us who follow the path of merchanting will simply be shafted over and over because the equipment will no longer be something rare, just something generic and disposable that everyone will be able to attain after slaying one skeleton in the graveyard for some gold.

Guess I'll have to go back to setting up a shop outside a dungeon to sell bandages and potions. Would probably make more money than burning kits to sell armor nowadays anyway with the speed of how fast EA devs keep nerfing builds and the way things work. I wonder if UO is still in Beta? Maybe my GM forensic eval, item ID, and taste ID will be useful eventually instead of just wasting a soulstone to show off that I wasted time training it.
Unfortunately the new staff we have at UO has more than likely never actually played for the entire duration of the game and has no idea of what TRULY needs fixing or how to go about doing it. They simply refer to U.Hall suggestion threads and think that the handful of people voicing their opinions to nerf something means the entirety of UO feels that way. Only such a small portion of the game's playerbase posts on stratics, however they are the ones that dictate where the game goes.

Nerf threads and 100 pages of crying about a template will get it nerfed within a few publishes. People crying that someone can "solo" a boss easily will get that boss buffed so people can't solo it. Side effect of that? It has 100x more HP and hits 10x harder, now the people who couldn't even do it in a group easily will stand absolutely no chance just so the player who stood out from the crowd and spent time perfecting soloing it can't reap the benefits of his labor.

It's why I don't bother investing any time making good armor suits anymore. Everything I've made in regards to specific builds such as Vampiric Mages for regen and poison resist becomes useless because someone whines about a build since it poses a challenge for them either in PvP or PvM. Instead of finding a build to better defeat those said builds in their weakpoints they rather complain till it's nerfed and yet another build comes to take its place.

This game has never left Beta and never will. The Devs have no idea where to take the game because the playerbase would rather continue whining and complaining about anything that gives them a challenge rather than adapting to the situations and letting the game actually become a solid game. Why would ANY new player want to play UO ? They have no idea what they are getting into, everything will change again in a couple of publishes, half the things they buy will end up to be dupes, and customer service is non-existent. The only thing to be grateful for now is the lack of customer service and GMs, at least this way there CAN'T be anymore corrupted GMs abusing their power because they have none to begin with.

I finished having fun with this game when they canned the only fun thing left for me to do, and that was to attend Event Moderator storyline events on shards. Just because they'd rather waste their budget on other things like nerfing things people whine about enough instead of focusing solely on tracking down every duped item and delete it based on itemID and item creation dates. Or maybe making skills that actually have a purpose: Herding, Item Identification, Taste Identification, Begging.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, what's a peerless? Really...I have yet to venture to these locations. Where are they found?...la

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...The mentality of "If I can't have it, no one can" it's such a childish way to look at things but unfortunately, EA is the parents that spoil the whining child. Instead of telling players to get off their lazy butts and do something constructive to achieve success they dumb down the situation and environment in some way to accommodate the whines. As I've stated in another post

Unfortunately the new staff we have at UO has more than likely never actually played for the entire duration of the game and has no idea of what TRULY needs fixing or how to go about doing it. They simply refer to U.Hall suggestion threads and think that the handful of people voicing their opinions to nerf something means the entirety of UO feels that way. Only such a small portion of the game's playerbase posts on stratics, however they are the ones that dictate where the game goes.
This is a bunch of BS. To start with, yes there are people out there with the jealousy issue. But if you are using a LOOPHOLE to make yourself better, then you are exploiting. Whether the DEVs chose to call it that or bad game design matters not, it is still exploiting (look the word up).

Second ... Draconi chose his profession because of playing this game. Sakkarah was a well known player until she became a UO DEV. Sure, some of the others maybe not so much so (the newer ones who recently introduced themselves) but your core DEV team most certainly are/were UO players. Just because you don't like their vision doesn't make it less true.

The fact is, people here on UHall cry about exploits, loopholes, overpowered this and that ... and want it all fixed for ANY TEMPLATE BUT THEIR OWN.

I was one who said I could solo part of the things, and 2-man most of the rest. I am sure if I really wanted I could solo most of them. Guess what? I have never had a "Sampire" and a good amount of the time the char I use for these things does not even have Bushido OR Parry. Just a LJ Swords char. Why would I need Vamp form if I am hitting for large damage with a life/mana/stam leech weapon?? Soulseeker works sometimes, the rest of the time I have axes and an occasional sword (for those times I need to chug pots). Why would I bother making a whole char around a loophole when I don't need to?

L

love2winalot

I can solo a GREATER Mongbat. No, this is not a typo, i said GREATER.......:D

S

Salty Pete

I don't have the kind of time needed to solo any of these creatures. It is a PIA to get to them, they each have a gazillion hit points and I don't have the money or desire to invest the time needed to build such a character.

X

Xel Naga

This is a bunch of BS. To start with, yes there are people out there with the jealousy issue. But if you are using a LOOPHOLE to make yourself better, then you are exploiting. Whether the DEVs chose to call it that or bad game design matters not, it is still exploiting (look the word up).

Second ... Draconi chose his profession because of playing this game. Sakkarah was a well known player until she became a UO DEV. Sure, some of the others maybe not so much so (the newer ones who recently introduced themselves) but your core DEV team most certainly are/were UO players. Just because you don't like their vision doesn't make it less true.

The fact is, people here on UHall cry about exploits, loopholes, overpowered this and that ... and want it all fixed for ANY TEMPLATE BUT THEIR OWN.

I was one who said I could solo part of the things, and 2-man most of the rest. I am sure if I really wanted I could solo most of them. Guess what? I have never had a "Sampire" and a good amount of the time the char I use for these things does not even have Bushido OR Parry. Just a LJ Swords char. Why would I need Vamp form if I am hitting for large damage with a life/mana/stam leech weapon?? Soulseeker works sometimes, the rest of the time I have axes and an occasional sword (for those times I need to chug pots). Why would I bother making a whole char around a loophole when I don't need to?
Really exploit and loopholes?

I wasn't aware using a disco provo bard mage to solo doom was considered an exploit and loophole. Care to explain how that template is exploiting the game and why a bard shouldn't be able to solo a DF and the rooms with magery summons and bard skills?

X

Xel Naga

LOL! Thank you sir, I've yet to laugh at a post for some time. I'm referring to that whole jealousy BS line.
You have such an intellectual argument and rebuttal it's amazingly mind blowing. I'm glad such intelligent people are reading my posts to argue the other side that there is no jealousy in complaining about things you don't want to work towards achieving yourself.

If you're going to laugh at a well thought out post and simply call it BS at least man up enough to give a compelling argument. Your type of people are exactly the ones who simply cry and expect to be spoon fed items and content.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disco/Provo/Bard Mages are only using exploits/loopholes in Doom when they make the DF's attack eachother. I don't seem to recall that template being nerfed in that area at all. I still see Disco/Bards in Doom almost every time I am there ... so explain to me how this particular thing applies to your rant about nerfs?

X

Xel Naga

Disco/Provo/Bard Mages are only using exploits/loopholes in Doom when they make the DF's attack eachother. I don't seem to recall that template being nerfed in that area at all. I still see Disco/Bards in Doom almost every time I am there ... so explain to me how this particular thing applies to your rant about nerfs?
That was in reply to the posters who stated that -no one- should be able to solo boss content as it ruins the game. I simply use earth elements to spawn up a few rotting corpses, disco the df, and provo all the rcs and lich lords onto the DF till he's dead. Takes a while and can only be done when solo since other players simply kill and kite the spawn around.

I used to be a vamp mage in doom with probably a billion gold worth of equipment a few years ago with all 70 max mana regen, max sdi, lrc, whilst in vamp form. To get that kind of suit without the current arms lore buff or cheap duped runics was extremely difficult and painstaking. Solely because of a pvp rant about how vamp mages were unfair, they since nerfed it so a vamp mage became an broken useless build. That simple nerf in one publish made my suit lose it's purpose (having extremely high FR). With that suit I was soloing DFs in doom for a while simply with a demon slayer spellbook running in and out casting exp eb lightning combo, clearing spawn and repeating. I also soloed Shimmering with that same suit simply running around casting and kiting. So simply because of a pvp nerf cry, it made a completely legit and viable PvM build useless and obsolete. That is why I cry and rant about nerfs quite often, no matter how hard you try to build a nice set it will always be nerfed somehow because of a player complaining instead of adapting.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I've done Shimmering, Dreadhorn, Paroxysmus and all of Doom including the Dark Father with various Vamp Form Samurai builds. Oh and most champs.
I've never tried Travesty or Meraktus.
Tried Bedlam on a Wraith Samurai but I didn't take the time to set it up particularly well and used the wrong weapons, so I didn't get very far. I didn't try again as I needed the character for fel and took apart after one attempt.

I don't see that it hurts the game the drop rate still sucks. If it wasn't for soloing them I would never have had anything from Peerless or Doom. I think anyone could do them but most can't be bothered people often try on a character that isn't set up for it then write it off as being impossible. At the time I did over 100 Paroxysmus's I got only 3 crimsons which didn't cover the cost of building the character. I tend to have bad luck with drops so maybe 3 out of 100 isn't a great reflection, but, thats what I got.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, I was going to write quite a bit, but Xel Naga seems to have hit it on the head every time. So what if a few people put in the time and effort to do something that others have to do in groups. Thats what makes this game great. The ability to play as you like, and to mix skills to reap the max benifits instead of being locked in a predefined template. Its funny that you dont see anybody who has made a template to solo peerless complaining about it being overpowered. Its not because they dont want to admit it... its because they know how much time, effort, money, and skill it takes to actually solo something. And its something EVERYBODY can do if they want to invest in it. I think Xel Naga's Key Analogy was quite appropriate. We are not talking about certain people who have obtained illegal items that give them immortal advantage over everybody else. They dont have a "Everything Slayer, 100%LRC 45LMC, 300% Damage Increase, 40MR, 40HPR, +100 Every Skill, 95 Every Resist Cloak" that they are running around with pwning everybody. They are playing with the same skills, and same items that are available to EVERYBODY in the game who wants to put in the time and effort to build or attain them.

Weather its in a game or Real Life, there is always going to be somebody who is more successful, more skilled, or more knowledgeable then you. And most of the time they DO deserve it, because guess what... THEY WORKED HARDER FOR IT THEN YOU DID! Get over it. Either accept it, or how about this idea... GO OUT AND EARN IT YOURSELF!

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Abstained because there is no "I dunno if I can solo peerless cuz I could never actually be bothered to try" option.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was in reply to the posters who stated that -no one- should be able to solo boss content as it ruins the game. I simply use earth elements to spawn up a few rotting corpses, disco the df, and provo all the rcs and lich lords onto the DF till he's dead. Takes a while and can only be done when solo since other players simply kill and kite the spawn around.
You quoted me, and I NEVER said that no one should be able to solo boss content. I only said that those people using loopholes to do so are exploiting (read, people putting jewelry on, casting a spell, taking jewelry off and keeping the benefits, causing DF's to attack eachother, etc).

The funny thing is, as you point out, there are many templates that are perfectly capable of solo'ing these things without using any exploit/loophole/bad game design.

D

Dicimiie

I've been wondering for quite sometime just how many people are capable of soloing either peerless or dark fathers, so I thought a poll might be interesting.

I'd like your comments to reflect whether or not you think soloing hurts you or the game.

Looking into my crystal ball I predict very few are capable of soloing these and in my opinion more power to them. I wish I could. I don't feel that they hurt me or the game one bit.
You asked... I'll answer.

I honestly do not know if I could ever solo a Peerless or Dark Fathers. Never tried, nor would I really want to. Quite honestly, I am pretty horrible at hunting. I prefer playing pure warrior (no Chivalry, Bushido, Necromancy, Magery, etc.), so I'm pretty limited on what I can do.

As far as soloing hurting the game goes... of course it does. For one reason and one reason only. It futher hurts a community aspect of the game that's already had quite a bit of the community taken away. Long past is the time for people to have to stick together. There are not nearly as many groups hunting anymore (champs notwithstanding). There are few if any blacksmiths hanging out at the forge for repairs. It's become "every man/woman for himself/herself." Quite a shame really.

If even one person can solo the entire game, it lends to the possibility of several people being able to do so. And that hurts the community, and the game.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are not nearly as many groups hunting anymore (champs notwithstanding).
Exactly the reason why Fel is really the only MMO part of this game left.

Although they'll deny it and I'm sure I'll get flamed. This is part of the reason so many Trammies hate PvP.

"What you mean I have to interact with people and group with others in order to accomplish something in an online game?????.........screw that I'm going back to hunting stupid AI by myself"

U

UOKaiser

You asked... I'll answer.

I honestly do not know if I could ever solo a Peerless or Dark Fathers. Never tried, nor would I really want to. Quite honestly, I am pretty horrible at hunting. I prefer playing pure warrior (no Chivalry, Bushido, Necromancy, Magery, etc.), so I'm pretty limited on what I can do.

As far as soloing hurting the game goes... of course it does. For one reason and one reason only. It futher hurts a community aspect of the game that's already had quite a bit of the community taken away. Long past is the time for people to have to stick together. There are not nearly as many groups hunting anymore (champs notwithstanding). There are few if any blacksmiths hanging out at the forge for repairs. It's become "every man/woman for himself/herself." Quite a shame really.

If even one person can solo the entire game, it lends to the possibility of several people being able to do so. And that hurts the community, and the game.
As was said before the game was built on soloing before aos every monster was able to be soloed and the community was 1000x stronger than now. The game has so few players now and getting less after every publish if they end up making non soloble creatures then soon enough they will be called non beatable as there wont be enough people online in the shard that are even free or interested at the time you are to kill the beast. Just like now I can go to dreadhorn i never have to wait to go in because theres nobody fighting it when I go and theres no one waiting to fight it after I leave.

D

Dicimiie

As was said before the game was built on soloing before aos every monster was able to be soloed and the community was 1000x stronger than now. The game has so few players now and getting less after every publish if they end up making non soloble creatures then soon enough they will be called non beatable as there wont be enough people online in the shard that are even free or interested at the time you are to kill the beast. Just like now I can go to dreadhorn i never have to wait to go in because theres nobody fighting it when I go and theres no one waiting to fight it after I leave.
I don't think the creators of the game figured on the original creatires being soloable. I really don't. Did it happen... yep. Is it a shame it did... yep again. But I don't think it was meant to be that way.

And as far as the fewer subscriptions go... how many people do you figure quit due to the game becoming boring because it could be soloed? I'll let you in on a secret. I'm one of the ones that quit because it was too easy to solo. Notbecause I could solo the stuff, but because nobody wanted to group because they could solo the content. And I want interaction. Otherwise, I'll just play a console game.

5% Luck

I havent soloed any peerless (I think I can do travesty) but I do solo the entire gauntlet with relative ease. I dont even die usually! Im limited by the amount of Iolo's lutes I can find.buy. This has been around for along time. its nothing new and now that people are soloing peerless its time for a new gauntlet/peerless

Umm how about Zap the energy snake? As bad a** as 20 coils!

5% Luck

I don't think the creators of the game figured on the original creatires being soloable. I really don't. Did it happen... yep. Is it a shame it did... yep again. But I don't think it was meant to be that way.

And as far as the fewer subscriptions go... how many people do you figure quit due to the game becoming boring because it could be soloed? I'll let you in on a secret. I'm one of the ones that quit because it was too easy to solo. Notbecause I could solo the stuff, but because nobody wanted to group because they could solo the content. And I want interaction. Otherwise, I'll just play a console game.
The 1st time i quit was due to resource randomization!

The next time is going to be from skill items being removed/not allowed over cap/whatever nerf. An i dought ill be back.

As far as soloing If your in a decent guild/aliance it is even harder to solo as I find myself with tagalongs anyhow. If your guild is small or not very goos try to get into an aliance and you wont have any trouble imho. If ya still do its because your an a**

D

Dicimiie

The 1st time i quit was due to resource randomization!

The next time is going to be from skill items being removed/not allowed over cap/whatever nerf. An i dought ill be back.

As far as soloing If your in a decent guild/aliance it is even harder to solo as I find myself with tagalongs anyhow. If your guild is small or not very goos try to get into an aliance and you wont have any trouble imho. If ya still do its because your an a**
My wife would probably say the last portion of your statement is the most true. :lol:

I actually quit the game twice. The first time was after AoS was introduced and the role of the blacksmtih was changed... and not in a good way.

The second time I quit was after I had come back after a couple of years. Most of my friends were gone by then, and the guild I joined was full of tamers that could solo pretty much anything I wanted to go try (no... this is not a "tamers are overpowered" statement... don't read into it!). So I went out and did my own thing, got bored, and quit again. I suppose I could have changed guilds, but I didn't want to upset the friends I had made in the guild. I figured it was easier to just say "hey... I'm going to take a break from the game for a while" and leave it at that.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can do it and no it has no impact on the game at all. Why does it not have any impact? Because it takes forever to solo bosses and it is much faster and more profitable to just go as a group. It always has been more profitable to do things as a group in this game and that is because this is an online multiplayer game which encourages group play either as a team working to accomplish some goal in the game or as 2 teams competing.

U

UOKaiser

My wife would probably say the last portion of your statement is the most true. :lol:

I actually quit the game twice. The first time was after AoS was introduced and the role of the blacksmtih was changed... and not in a good way.

The second time I quit was after I had come back after a couple of years. Most of my friends were gone by then, and the guild I joined was full of tamers that could solo pretty much anything I wanted to go try (no... this is not a "tamers are overpowered" statement... don't read into it!). So I went out and did my own thing, got bored, and quit again. I suppose I could have changed guilds, but I didn't want to upset the friends I had made in the guild. I figured it was easier to just say "hey... I'm going to take a break from the game for a while" and leave it at that.
I enjoy soloing its very challenging. Ofcourse I enjoy group play. In reality you need to kill these top creatures so many times to get any quality loot. And sure I enjoy to go solo them and challenge myself If i do find some guild memebrs or friend to come along I make sure they come its just much quicker like that and more chance at loot when we share,unless they are unfamiliar then it takes longer. When I cant find anybody then I go at it alone I actually have more fun like that and is that not the point of a game to have fun? If I didnt have fun then I'll do things that would bring me enjoyment.

U

UOKaiser

I can do it and no it has no impact on the game at all. Why does it not have any impact? Because it takes forever to solo bosses and it is much faster and more profitable to just go as a group. It always has been more profitable to do things as a group in this game and that is because this is an online multiplayer game which encourages group play either as a team working to accomplish some goal in the game or as 2 teams competing.
Though what makes uo fun is that you can be anything and do anything. You can be the lone hero of sosaria like the avatar or you can be part of a group of heroes its all up to youre imagination. Games like Wow that force grouping are annoying as you can only be a preset of conditions and have no choice but to find people to do things. I enjoy freedom and the rpg aspect in it. The game is multiplayer cause you can interact with others in game not that you have to. Just like many games that have single compaign and a multiplayer campaign you can do both. Some like only multiplayer games like poxnora other likes only single player games like sim city and others enjoy games that have both like uo,the sims,diablo,etc..

D

Dicimiie

Though what makes uo fun is that you can be anything and do anything. You can be the lone hero of sosaria like the avatar or you can be part of a group of heroes its all up to youre imagination. Games like Wow that force grouping are annoying as you can only be a preset of conditions and have no choice but to find people to do things. I enjoy freedom and the rpg aspect in it. The game is multiplayer cause you can interact with others in game not that you have to. Just like many games that have single compaign and a multiplayer campaign you can do both. Some like only multiplayer games like poxnora other likes only single player games like sim city and others enjoy games that have both like uo,the sims,diablo,etc..
The Avatar had help along the way. He didn't do everything solo.

I'm not saying that the entire game should be group oriented. Far from it. What I am saying is that there should be things in the game that cannot be soloable. If you enjoy solo play, there's plenty of things to do. But there should be a few things that only a group can do (and by group I mean as few as three).

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because UHall is such an accurate representation of the playerbase, and nobody here would ever lie just to get something they don't like nerfed...

And yeah, I can. Did it with vamp and wraith, still will, still gonna be making people cry cry cry for the nerf stick.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mainly just solo Travesty for Marks and aprons....

The main reason on why I would prefer solo instead of group is I don't play on a regular basis and finding a group just takes too much time.

The second reason is to get the items I need. For some untold reason I hate buying stuff even though I'm running out of room to store checks. I rather find the item myself and to increase the chances of getting items I desire, I have to solo peerless bosses.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't solo those things, and really, I don't care to - it doesn't come up for me because I'm not that kind of UO player. Too casual. Too intermittent. Not in a power guild or on a big shard.

If other people can solo those things, great. Just means more great loot on the market for me to buy, that I can buy with gold I earned doing something I like rather than farming or trying in vain to get on top damage lists.

The "solo game" has been in decline really since the launch of Tokuno, the mega bosses of Mondain's, and even smaller changes like the blight that is uberdragons in Destard. So this latest nerf to sampires (and no I don't have one) seems like just more of the same in a long line of nerfs to soloers, of any level. I find it pretty sad because I enjoy soloing quite a bit, and it's one of the reasons I still come back to UO.

I

Intoxication

hummm I didn't read about 3/4 of this thread and I'm not to worried whats in most of it, but from the size of the posts i can tell its a lot of useless ranting.

anyways i can solo all the peerless except proxy. i can solo Doom (love my bard took me a long long time to make her and its well worth it and i see nothing wrong with the template). I can solo most of the champs spawns.

Why would anyone wanna solo something?
lets see this game gets boring and this game was made so that people could do things at their own will and at there own pace. sorry if i get bored doing things with a group, killing it with little work and then splitting what little loot there is to start with. Challenges are VERY VERY fun for me.

but i see nothing wrong with people not wanting to solo things either

every one is intitled to play this game as THEY want to. you know the thing that makes UO must better then them other cookie cutter games.

R

RenaLynne

Never tried to solo any peerless, but I doubt I could. I can, however, solo a Greater Dragon :D(proud moment) I dont think soloing hurts the game. In fact, a lot of the time players not in guilds have a hard time finding groups to help out, so if someone can do it on their own, more power to em.