• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many people are playing UO?

How many UO players are there?

• I Play :D

Votes: 96 85.7%
  • I don't Play (and therefore will never answer, but I had to make 2 options...)

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm sure this is a recurring question, but I couldn't find any answers to this in the forum....or in any website for that matter, so I thought I'd make a poll.

I have a strong feeling this will fail miserably, but can't hurt trying. I'm sure many do not come to forums as well.

Of course if someone does not play he/she also cannot submit a vote, so I know how flawed this thing is right at birth...

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'd say less than 20% of the player base even reads these forums..... and even less of the players will vote.
Yes I would expect virtually no participation really...

And not I realized I wrote "Oprions" instead of "Options"...fantastic...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No figures are released, so anything you find anywhere is pure speculation. I did take the liberty of editing your typo.

I play - but so does my husband and he doesn't post on forums.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Enough that the game is profitable.
Exactly right and I guarantee you if it wasn't they'd pull the plug so fast it'd make ya............ And after all, it's none of our business anyhow. Sometimes I think folks forget who are the owners of the game and who are the players, and the players are not shareholders.

Reactions: S_S

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
And after all, it's none of our business anyhow. Sometimes I think folks forget who are the owners of the game and who are the players, and the players are not shareholders.
Well, profitability benefits everyone, including players. It usually translates to longevity. :)

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
No figures are released, so anything you find anywhere is pure speculation. I did take the liberty of editing your typo.

I play - but so does my husband and he doesn't post on forums.
Thanks for the editing Petra!

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Exactly right and I guarantee you if it wasn't they'd pull the plug so fast it'd make ya............ And after all, it's none of our business anyhow. Sometimes I think folks forget who are the owners of the game and who are the players, and the players are not shareholders.
It is our business in the sense that as players we want to be sure there will be others to play with in a MMO. We don't want to think that we are putting down $65 for six-month's of subscription and then have the game go *POOF*. That has and still happens.

We may not be the game owners, but the game exists only because we players are willing to pay for it. Communication is number one in the customer service relationship. Some companies forget that rule.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also add that people see this game, and others, as a investement of sorts. Without the thought of long term playablity what is the point of signing up for a month or longer. Some people, like myself, pay/play UO for the default of not having to start a new game, jumping the learning curve and doing the trial and error. I'd both like to know but would be worried that my lowest expectation might not be reached.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I would just like to make it clear that I started this thread/poll just out of curiosity.

I'm not worried about the game ending anytime soon, don't think it'll happen in the next years anyway.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Considering that I play on GL's and talk to roughly 30 or more players regularly. Of those 30 players only 4 or 5 actually "read" Stratics. And most of them will post but not often. There are probably another 4 who will if they have to look something up on stratics, but that's only IF I'm not around to give them the answer.

I do know that 2 or 3 of the ones who post actually use stratics more than I do.

Of the rest of the ones I know who don't post here and won't come here ...... most of those never even read UO.com..... They continually rely on others like myself to tell them "What was in the patch today?"..... because I know darn well they are going to ask I am usually prepared with an answer. And of those 30 people I know that know 30 or so themselves here and there most of them obviously don't read stratics or the patch notes either because they ask the one I know to ask me what the patch was.

So that is what I base my estimate on. And I'd say it's a fair assessment and has been. Anyone who runs a large guild will tell you that only 10% or less of them will read your own Guild forums... let alone any other forums.

So in short only the most anal... folk with serious OCD and some bits on insanity and such actually read and post on stratics. Those who are extremely addicted to UO and have OCD.... and a need to know. Those of us who are the most passionate about our game play be it PvP, PvM, RP or whatever... Rares collectors. The casual player and those who just farm stuff don't really post or read stratics much. Mostly they will ask the OCD people what's going on.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
about 30 percent of the subscription base is Asian. its really hard to tell how many people actually play, because so many people have multiple accounts. everyone could quit except the crazies with 50 accounts and uo would still be profitable : P

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play, but only for 2-4 months per year, also not in one stretch. Pay 1 month, wait a few months, pay another.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think only a small section of the player base actually reads and posts here. that's why in my opinion the ideas and wants for the game that are posted on here should be only one of the things the devs should listen too.

I'm in agreement that the game is profitable. its a retro game to which brings me hope that if broadsword markets right you can see a resurgence to the playing base. people like retro.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I dread to think what that makes me.
I know I'm OCD.... and rather a passionate player ..... I'm under the impression you fall in the passionate category.... not knowing you that well I can't say if you have OCD or not.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say less than 20% of the player base even reads these forums..... and even less of the players will vote.
Do you guys really think that many people who play legit UO don't use Stratics? I mean when I first starting playing in 1999 I hardly even kept in touch with the people I played with back then, it was like ICQ or nothing and I used the UO.com forums, then found Stratics after that. But I mean, if you type ultima online in Google search, Stratics is third result. I just don't know if the, majority who play UO don't read Stratics, is true? Hm.

twoburntfouryou

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am always lurking around stratics. I do not post much. When my hubby played he would never read or post here. His excuse was why should he when I did and would tell him everything :rolleyes2:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There are 17 total players with between 2 and 50 accounts each.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We are up to 29 players!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was just counting the votes this poll. :yell:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tried to quit. Honestly I did. I purposely did not put in my new credit card info... my hard drive failed and I got a new computer so I no longer had my password saved for uo.com. Then I started jonesin'.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I beg your pardon not everyone on siege is visable ... I work in hidden mode alot to keep the local wild life quiet... and no thats not he reds...hehe
As for OCD .... UO is a luxury for the brain... I dare to compair it to a drug as it does the same effect.. mellows you out or stimulates your thinking and gives you an adrenilin rush (depending on your play). Those of us who use stratics tell others of its usefull content, and help t o bring in those who have drifted off.. I personally tell others if they cant find info to look here and ask the experts... Thats you all by the way.

Petra we are of a pasionate heart for the good we find and enjoy...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do you guys really think that many people who play legit UO don't use Stratics? I mean when I first starting playing in 1999 I hardly even kept in touch with the people I played with back then, it was like ICQ or nothing and I used the UO.com forums, then found Stratics after that. But I mean, if you type ultima online in Google search, Stratics is third result. I just don't know if the, majority who play UO don't read Stratics, is true? Hm.
As I said I don't think so I know so..... I know dozens of players who don't use stratics...... they don't read stratics, don't post on stratics... nothing... They play the game that's it.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I said I don't think so I know so..... I know dozens of players who don't use stratics...... they don't read stratics, don't post on stratics... nothing... They play the game that's it.
Do they use another place/UOGuide etc? Huh. Well I guess it strikes me as odd since UO mods frequent Stratics, and all. Being a UO nerd I'm addicted to Stratics since I found the "Ideas Den" way back when ;D.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have to agree with MalagAste. I know several other players on Legends who are quite active on this forum, but a lot of players tell me they never read the forum (even though I think it's invaluable, as well as just entertaining).

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same, MalagAste, out of the 5 to 7 players I play with regularly, only one of them reads stratics. The others are as you stated in another post, they wait for me to give them info.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do they use another place/UOGuide etc? Huh. Well I guess it strikes me as odd since UO mods frequent Stratics, and all. Being a UO nerd I'm addicted to Stratics since I found the "Ideas Den" way back when ;D.
No they don't. They just ask me. I swear I spend half my time in UO telling other folk where to find things, what stuff is, how to do this or that quest.... what this or that NPC is and where to find them... etc. I have been a "Councilor" as in an in-game helper since shortly after I became the Mayor of Yew and active in the Yew Militia years ago..... likely for 10 years or more. Only I don't have a blue robe.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A reliable source I have not spoken to definitively asserts that there are only 20 or so active UO players, they merely own many accounts each.

-Galen's player

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No they don't. They just ask me. I swear I spend half my time in UO telling other folk where to find things, what stuff is, how to do this or that quest.... what this or that NPC is and where to find them... etc. I have been a "Councilor" as in an in-game helper since shortly after I became the Mayor of Yew and active in the Yew Militia years ago..... likely for 10 years or more. Only I don't have a blue robe.

Me too!.. lol... since the very beginning I've always been the one to say '' Did you guys see this?" [Insert appropriate link ]

The funny thing is.. I after all these years I still know in my heart I know nothing...
Heck if it wasn't for Kojak, Mystic, Pandora, and that whole crew I'd still be hunting Earth Elementals!..

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need another vote option.

"I play" But lately less time in UO compared to that spent on Stratics.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over the years I have directed many to Stratics for the help beyond what I could give them in game... be it the news section of here on the forums. I have known alot of players who dont come here and play all the same in the game.
Yes there are shards you dont "SEE" the players ....but give a shout for a head count... many are not sitting at luna or Brit bank.
We work at our homes or in a dungeon, forest, mine... or Train pets , or their characters.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I still play (when I'm in the mood) and have no plans to stop.

btw, I know a number of players who don't frequent Stratics, including some long-time players who have several accounts.

Last edited:

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
There you have it folks....aproximately 57 people view and post in the forum.

Out of those 57 we have 52 that play the game.

This thread actually had more success than I thought it ever would :D

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
There you have it folks....aproximately 57 people view and post in the forum.

Out of those 57 we have 52 that play the game.

This thread actually had more success than I thought it ever would :D
There could be a possible margin of error to account for players who don't normally respond to polls?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
There could be a possible margin of error to account for players who don't normally respond to polls?
Oh my yes! It was talked about right at the begining...this was mainly a test and more people than I expected participated!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And those who thought they had participated in a survey/poll. I thought I had voted in this, but it didn't seem to "take." For a couple of hours, Stratics' JavaScript was strangely non-responsive...

Now, do I really "play" UO, or do I "dabble"? Or does dabbling in UO, multiplied by half a dozen accounts, equal "play" of one serious UO player with one account? :p

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
When I made the poll I meant how many individuals play UO, regardless of how many accounts they have.

I just wanted to have an idea of the number of people irl that do play it. Of course most wont come to or reply in the forums, but that's another story ;)

Maybe the Forum statistics would be able to give better numbers, because someone with access would be able to see how many different users post in the UO forum, so that alone would give a number. but I think that would be ilegal in some way, perhaps?

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dread to think what that makes me.
I think it makes you wise! Hey, in '97 when the servers came online, we needed a place to be able to reach out to and find other players. I mean, none of my RL neighbors were playing UO. These forums were a godsend. And they lit up like the Washington D.C. Christmas tree every time the servers went down (i.e. multiple times a day). But it also became THE PLACE to go to find information. Not just the forums, but the incredible wealth of information about the game: where to go to learn about a certain creature, how to kill it, where the wimps like me should NOT to go, how to cross pollinate plants. The list goes on forever. And all that information is still here.

So if most of the population isn't reading these forums and using Stratics, they are missing out BIG TIME.

And no, I wasn't paid to post that.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We love you guys Malag Aste, Galen, Dot who trudge through all this to find what important and relay that to those who don't have the patience. I read now and then, still find the maze of what forum category MIGHT have someone reading that may tell me what I want to know. I hate the search functions on most boards.
Some of us read UO Guide, role play forums, write news for guild stuff. I sometimes feel sending a newbie to Stratics to find an answer is a little like throwing them to the wolves or into the deep end of the pool. You start with your toes in the water in game a little confused, you open stratics to all its sections and now you feel like your gonna drown. That's why seasoned vet players who are willing to be mentors/gurus are so wonderful!! thanks