• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How many floors above roof level can one go?

Mezzac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
title says it all
Hi Stupid,

If by this you mean with goza floor that can be walked on and decorated - you can build 7 floors in total.

If you search my name (mezzac) for posts you will see one title 'My Seven storey tower' or use the link below if it works. It shows picture of my the Tower I owned.

But be warned - do not tempt the GM's by doing in populated areas - Goza floors play havoc with players lagggggg.

Any house I have added floor to has always been in 'out the way' places away from populated areas.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=95003

Thanks Mezz

S

Stupid Miner

Hi Stupid,

If by this you mean with goza floor that can be walked on and decorated - you can build 7 floors in total.

If you search my name (mezzac) for posts you will see one title 'My Seven storey tower' or use the link below if it works. It shows picture of my the Tower I owned.

But be warned - do not tempt the GM's by doing in populated areas - Goza floors play havoc with players lagggggg.

Any house I have added floor to has always been in 'out the way' places away from populated areas.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=95003

Thanks Mezz
Ah perfect. I'm out of the way, and I'm not building a tower, but might be useful to get an extra floor in the house. A roof for the roof or something.

Granted I use the term "house" loosely. I've never built a house. :p

T

Tazar

Actually... it depends on where you are in the world and what the ground's Z-axis is. There are some spots on fire island where you can not even build a 4 story custom.

One of my places in Malas has an area built with goza's that is on the equivalent of the 9th floor of the house.

I had many player tell me that it is illegal and that GM's would remove it due to lag... but... I asked Sakkarah about it and she said it was perfectly legal for the following reasons:

1.) It was all built within normal game mechanics.
2.) It did not provide me with an unfair advantage (anyone can do it).
3.) It did not block or cause issues for other players.

Even though the house has a lot of Goza's, you have to step into the house for them to load so it will not disturb other players unless they choose to enter the house. Besides, I have another house that is only 4 stories and has a lot more goza's in it than my 9th floor house.

S

Stupid Miner

Actually... it depends on where you are in the world and what the ground's Z-axis is. There are some spots on fire island where you can not even build a 4 story custom.

One of my places in Malas has an area built with goza's that is on the equivalent of the 9th floor of the house.

I had many player tell me that it is illegal and that GM's would remove it due to lag... but... I asked Sakkarah about it and she said it was perfectly legal for the following reasons:

1.) It was all built within normal game mechanics.
2.) It did not provide me with an unfair advantage (anyone can do it).
3.) It did not block or cause issues for other players.

Even though the house has a lot of Goza's, you have to step into the house for them to load so it will not disturb other players unless they choose to enter the house. Besides, I have another house that is only 4 stories and has a lot more goza's in it than my 9th floor house.
Hm... any way to determine the z-axis of the landscape? (other than building as high as you can)

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only go to 5 on my caslte.. the 3 main floors the 2 with gozas, course i stoped at 4 & only had santas sleigh on the 5th

uo wouldnt let me go any higher

T

Tazar

I wonder if the EC client can go higher than CC... I do use EC.

S

Stupid Miner

I wonder if the EC client can go higher than CC... I do use EC.
No, definitely not. This would have to do with the base structure of the game's world.
The EC is the CC, except things are prettier. (as far as geography goes at least)

T

Tazar

Maybe yes - maybe no. I do know that when I go to my 9th floor in EC, it looks great, but when I go there in 2D, the terrain around the house cuts out leaving black areas. That makes me wonder about how the two relate to the server-side info.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as for the question about getting the Z axis of the ground really the only way I'm aware of is one which we are not to discuss. You may draw what you like from that although in years past the old UO staff and Dev team had no problems with people using those things to explain ideas and model things but I realize this is a strange new world we live in now...

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe yes - maybe no. I do know that when I go to my 9th floor in EC, it looks great, but when I go there in 2D, the terrain around the house cuts out leaving black areas. That makes me wonder about how the two relate to the server-side info.
It'd be a safe bet that due to the age of the 2D code it was designed not to take too much land info at once, in order to keep requirements reasonable "way back then". These days I'm sure they could update the code so that your 9th story had a nicer view, as I've had the same issue when running quickly especially across terrain with lots of trees/houses (it just loads black areas around the edges of the viewing area, presumably to prevent data overload). Try asking the Devs? :thumbup1:

S

Stupid Miner

as for the question about getting the Z axis of the ground really the only way I'm aware of is one which we are not to discuss. You may draw what you like from that although in years past the old UO staff and Dev team had no problems with people using those things to explain ideas and model things but I realize this is a strange new world we live in now...
You mean one of these?
http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/emulatorfaq.shtml

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the problem of always having to repair the levels. A goza or two here and there every week. Is there a way to not have to do this or is it the spawn that sometimes pops into your house before getting kicked that is doing this?

T

Tazar

I usually do not have any problems. The only time I have had items drop like that is when someone opens a gate while standing on it. This will sometimes make the item drop one notch.

C

Crystal Rose

I have the same problem with some tiles dropping every week. Along the edges on the east side only.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had the problem of always having to repair the levels. A goza or two here and there every week. Is there a way to not have to do this or is it the spawn that sometimes pops into your house before getting kicked that is doing this?
I have had an entire floor of gozas over my castle for probably over a year now, and have never had that happen to a single one. I wonder though... is this happening to you in a Keep? I made a floor above the keep of a friends house, and she has repeatedly struggled with this happening. If it is happening in a Keep then I think you may be right... it might be due to spawn in the courtyard of the keep, but not sure.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive tried to make one of these floors but I cant figure out how to raise them high enough to be able to walk under them. Can someone help me out?

T

Tazar

Start with a "ladder" from a heritage token. Set the ladder to any of the "Castle" directions. Climb onto the ladder - and 1 or two more "steps" further in the direction the ladder faces. While on either of the two "steps" use a goza and target yourself. Then take the goza closest to the ladder and lower it 4 notches so that the two goza's are at the same height.

You have now started your new floor. Move the ladder and repeat as needed.