• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How Many Doubloons have you stashed away?

How many Doubloons or equivalent have you stashed away? rounded

• < 1M

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • 1M

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • 2M

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 3M

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • 4M

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 5M

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 6M

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7M

• 8M

• 9M

• 10M +

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You realize if they make Trtons cost 1.2m everyone will be coming with those pitchforks to you~ lol.
My guess is that, at the very least, he would not remain Governor of Britain for long, should that really happen....

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
They should deduct some of the cost if it is 1million , simply because it's just a recoloured lava elem

If it were NEW art, then ofc it would be worth 1.2

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh FFS... lol I guess I have to give props to Dot for totally playing me and quite a few others like lute strings if that's an April fools joke. I saw that post after the 1st and saw the spoiler tag and thought it was a legit "insider information" spoiler. Given that apparently I'm not the only one since quite a few folks (including some in my guild) fell for it too I plead for clemency on any perceptions of my ability to process information! ;)

Well on the plus side, if Tritons are significantly less I'll have quite a few doubloons to spend! I think I'll just slink away now.... ;)

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think triton should be in the 200k-500k range no more honestly, if its really a limited event... , vollems are 500k clean up pts

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is an element of RNG involved when "opening" the Triton (think Vollem), thus making an obscene pricetag a losing proposition for the devs (i.e. multiple threads of vitriolic posts). Since Kyronix wants these events to be accessible, the price will be reasonable.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is an element of RNG involved when "opening" the Triton (think Vollem), thus making an obscene pricetag a losing proposition for the devs (i.e. multiple threads of vitriolic posts). Since Kyronix wants these events to be accessible, the price will be reasonable.
That has been our thinking on the subject. However, are we going to see poor little Tritons disappearing into the void because their masters deem them insufficient to be companions (even though a low triton is still a good pet) Poor little Tritons. Sounds like it's time for me to make more tamers.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
0 Doubloons is my answer. I don't care for the pirate theme. There just retooling old content. For me 2019 is a waisted year in UO.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That has been our thinking on the subject. However, are we going to see poor little Tritons disappearing into the void because their masters deem them insufficient to be companions (even though a low triton is still a good pet) Poor little Tritons. Sounds like it's time for me to make more tamers.
"(even though a low triton is still a good pet)"

And what is that supposed to mean, if I may ask ?

That Tritons, perhaps, even if costing to players the same amount of Doubloons will NOT be the same quality but there will be players getting good Tritons and players getting BAD Tritons even though they ALL spent the same amount of Doubloons on them ?

REALLY ??

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess you did not attend the Khaldun Event, as it was the same for the spellbooks there,
thus would not be surprised at this.

Random slayer in that event so i guess random Triton in this one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"(even though a low triton is still a good pet)"

And what is that supposed to mean, if I may ask ?

That Tritons, perhaps, even if costing to players the same amount of Doubloons will NOT be the same quality but there will be players getting good Tritons and players getting BAD Tritons even though they ALL spent the same amount of Doubloons on them ?

REALLY ??
All the Tritons will make a better AI/Chiv pet "build" than we have now. (the damage type will be the only difference between the current AI/Chiv pet types we can make now) The ones that start better will only be have a difference that experienced tamers will be able to take advantage of. And that is for specific builds that will be best used in specific encounters.

The Triton will be the least complex starting pet that has been available to us. A very NOOB friendly pet.

Hopefully this will lead to the next pet type they create starting even better.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You realize if they make Trtons cost 1.2m everyone will be coming with those pitchforks to you~ lol.
This is a good place to toss this around. How much should they cost? Also I Hope the devs do not see this, because I'm just tossing ideas out.

I got my parrots and then filled my city coffers. Then I started saving Doubloons. At first I though 1M would be a fair price. Then I noticed how long it took to get that 1M after I had experience and all the needed resources. Lets say you can do 3 or 4 Beacons an hour.(You also have to include time for crafting the needed items) That's 30k to 40k. That's 25 to 33 hours for 1 person. I've done the roof at least that many hours and have nothing valuable except the standard Legendary shield that is good for a mage. I have found 5 identical ones. I'm sure I spend that much time or more on spawns between a useful 120 scroll that sells for more than 30M.
I'm sure players have done other encounters for that long and do not have the best drop.

But, I don't think this pet is equal to a halo or a cameo. So, I do not have any reference to compare.

So, I have no high end cost but I do think that 1M is too high since it seems we are supposed to obtain this new pet because it sounds like the high end stuff is coming later this year. Maybe the refined Corgul will have the real high end item. I do feel the low price should be more than 200k.

When I collected 10 Mythic crates I went to the trade forum to see if it was worth taking those to Atlantic and selling them. Someone was already selling 100 of them... We just have to accept that some are more serious than others and remove those from the equation.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you did not attend the Khaldun Event, as it was the same for the spellbooks there,
thus would not be surprised at this.

Random slayer in that event so i guess random Triton in this one.
No, I did not participate in the Khaldun Even as I did not play UO at all back then....

But that this was done back then does not make it fair nor correct now....

It is still a system where the SAME turn ins get DIFFERENT results and, personally, I do not find this fair nor just.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the Tritons will make a better AI/Chiv pet "build" than we have now. (the damage type will be the only difference between the current AI/Chiv pet types we can make now) The ones that start better will only be have a difference that experienced tamers will be able to take advantage of. And that is for specific builds that will be best used in specific encounters.

The Triton will be the least complex starting pet that has been available to us. A very NOOB friendly pet.

Hopefully this will lead to the next pet type they create starting even better.
Well, what will be then the difference in intensity in between a LOW end Trion and a HIGH end Triton if I may ask ?

Because, if the difference (the DELTA) will be marginal, IRRELEVANT in practical use of the Triton then it will not be noticeable, INSTEAD, if the difference between a LOW end Triton and a HIGH end Triton will be significant, making it up for a MUCH different performing pet, well, then this could create some problems......

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a good place to toss this around. How much should they cost? Also I Hope the devs do not see this, because I'm just tossing ideas out.

I got my parrots and then filled my city coffers. Then I started saving Doubloons. At first I though 1M would be a fair price. Then I noticed how long it took to get that 1M after I had experience and all the needed resources. Lets say you can do 3 or 4 Beacons an hour.(You also have to include time for crafting the needed items) That's 30k to 40k. That's 25 to 33 hours for 1 person. I've done the roof at least that many hours and have nothing valuable except the standard Legendary shield that is good for a mage. I have found 5 identical ones. I'm sure I spend that much time or more on spawns between a useful 120 scroll that sells for more than 30M.
I'm sure players have done other encounters for that long and do not have the best drop.

But, I don't think this pet is equal to a halo or a cameo. So, I do not have any reference to compare.

So, I have no high end cost but I do think that 1M is too high since it seems we are supposed to obtain this new pet because it sounds like the high end stuff is coming later this year. Maybe the refined Corgul will have the real high end item. I do feel the low price should be more than 200k.

When I collected 10 Mythic crates I went to the trade forum to see if it was worth taking those to Atlantic and selling them. Someone was already selling 100 of them... We just have to accept that some are more serious than others and remove those from the equation.
Well, "if" the Tritons will ALSO come in LOW and HIGH intensity "varieties", one has ALSO to consider the fact that all of the Doubloons invested in a Triton might yield a CRAPPY one.... that perhaps the Tamer will just release and have it go "poof" which it would mean vanished doubloons....

Therefore, it simply CANNOT be too high a cost to get a Triton in Doubloone "IF" the chance to get a CRAPPY one will be a possible one.....

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the Tritons will make a better AI/Chiv pet "build" than we have now.
Not necessarily. It's advantage over the favorite existing Chiv/AI pets is that it does not have trash built in abili
I agree that they may be better for very specific uses, but IMO they will be inferior to the current kings of DPS in general use. Yes, they do not have mana wasting built in abilities. But, they are not rideable. That means longer times getting from target to target, and more pet deaths because you can't ride it out of danger. All of that translates into a lower practical DPS.
The realization of the effect of rideablily came to me during the first invasion we had post the pet revamp. I trained a drake with damage perfectly matched to take advantage of the high HP mobs. And then realised that a cu or a reptalon are doing better. Much better. Even though they had split damage. This was simply because I was spending more time fighting and less time dragging the pet around.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any pet that walks has a disadvantage. Thats probably why they gave this and the Frost Drake high dex.

Has healing and no other abilities. Advantage to compensate.

I also know players who only use mount pets.

For encounters that you teleport to the boss you can use a non mount if they fit the resists of the victim. Peerless etc.

If the next new pet is a mount and can get a good build, it will fly off the shelves.
Equine or Canine. hmm Maybe a spider that rider fits well on.

Adell of Catskills

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
These seam to me to be a nice pet for gargoyles as they can keep up with you due to high DeX. This is just my 2 cents worth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
So this Triton is like a little newt looking thing? Not being into taming I'm not really feeling what the excitement is about lol. Now if if was some kind of scary Cthulhu looking thing maybe I could see it. And where are you going to get all the flies to feed it?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are two months left after April.
So they're still making temporary event content and afterward I will tell newbs, "you can't get that any more, it's not available any more, you had to be there then, sux to be you now"?
@Kyronix, let's have fewer things that suck, m'kay? Let's have fewer reasons for me to tell people "sux to be you now"? Don't make this suck? If you were thinking about making this suck, please desuckify your thinking?

where the SAME turn ins get DIFFERENT results and, personally, I do not find this fair nor just
Yup, me neither. I would prefer that all tritons be the same initially and the only differences will come about through training choices.
There's some aspect of the so-called random number generator that makes it suck for some people, e.g. I have done the roof plenty enough but never gotten a cameo ever; I have gone to Lady Melisande often enough and never ever gotten a crimson cincture.
@Kyronix don't make this random, because that is going to suck, m'kay? If you were thinking about making this suck, please desuckify your thinking?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So this Triton is like a little newt looking thing? Not being into taming I'm not really feeling what the excitement is about lol. Now if if was some kind of scary Cthulhu looking thing maybe I could see it. And where are you going to get all the flies to feed it?
Looks wise they just took a Lava Elemental model and colored it green. Functionality wise it is nice that it does not have any built in abilities (more room for customization). But it is also non-rideable which IMHO makes it inferior to a number of pets I have now. So meh.
I plan to get a couple just to have them, but I really struggle to force myself to log in to do the plunderbeacons. All of the current rewards are either deco or do not carry any functionality that does not already exist in game. And the only promised reward that is functional is the above triton.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't help but think the terd is just a placeholder for a graphical surprise.