• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How is Ultima Online now? Thinking about coming back.

Jed123

Visitor
How is the game in it's current state? What shard is the most populated? Does account age matter anymore? How is the game play is it still fun? How is the in-game economy? As a returning player will I have a hard time starting out?

How is animal taming now? Is it still one of the top skills to have in UO?

Thanks

Xoos

Journeyman
I think fine. Atlantic. Only age that matters is 14 yr for free shard transfers to a chosen shard via a reward pick. Atlantic is the economy. I started fresh and had a blast building 7 chars over a year. Taming top 3, need a sampire to solo a lot of pvm

Xoos

Journeyman
I made a mystic treasure hunter first, then a crafter, then the sampire, and was self sustaining after that as far as gear and gold... After that had fun pirating with an archer / legendary fisherman, work up a disco tamer, made a pure sdi mage and a poison/alchemist/thief for fun

Xoos

Journeyman
Some people do because that's kind of where you get your arcane focus if you have spellweaving... more people equals stronger focus.... so people gather there at the circle.

But Luna bank in Malas is where everyone sits and drops their runes to their shops now, Brit Bank is sadly no longer the awesome place to hang out that it once was. TBH, Luna is lame too because now we have discord. Back in MY day (hahaha) we used to have to type to talk to one another. Now it's just a hundred people standing still and no chatter. It's a little weird.

Xoos

Journeyman
Don't underestimate treasure hunting as a first character starting fresh with nothing. A lot of people complain about the loot quality and the changes over the years and yes, it can get a little bit stale after awhile.... but a mystic treasure hunter is fairly easy and cheap to train up and equip and can solo just about any level of chest except the high level Eodon chests. You can get a ton of blue skill scrolls for training your other characters which is super nice for a new player with nothing. You can get good enough gear to wear yourself, even if it's not good enough to sell these days now that everyone has had so much time to max out their characters. And you will find things that you can sell, maybe not for hundreds of millions but plenty to get yourself going. And anything you don't want you can still take from the chest and unravel for imbuing which your crafter will need to make custom suits and weapons for your squad.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's still fun. Lots of flexibility and combinations you can try, between equipment, skills, and all that. Where people hang out varies by shard, but usually between Luna and WBB and a lot goes on in Global Chat.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
How is the game in it's current state?
UO is always what you make of it. There are still plenty of active guilds and groups doing daily activities and hunts. Whatever you're looking for - PVM, PVP, Role play, casual trading or serious game play - it's out there. There is a guild or Discord server that serves every niche of our community.

What shard is the most populated?
Atlantic is the most populated shard. If you're returning to the game after a long absence, that's where I would suggest you begin your journey.

Does account age matter anymore?
A younger or older account should not impede your gameplay. If you have an older account and access to some Vet rewards, that will help you make money a bit easier to get started, but it's not of crucial importance.

How is the game play is it still fun?
It's going to depend on what you're looking for, but the key to success no matter your preferred game play style will be to find a good group or guild to join up with. UO is not a solo game. If you want to have fun, join with a guild that has an active Discord or voice server. Whether it's actual in game play or just having fun laughing and BS'ing with people in voice late at night, that's the one aspect of the community that has kept me around for so many years.

How is the in-game economy?
There are many aspects of UO whereby I believe this world of ours reflects our outside world - and the economy is one of them. There has been a great deal of inflation that occurred during the pandemic era. Most specifically with housing. However, I do believe we're on the backside of the hill at this point and prices are beginning to even out. There are still plenty of ways to make money in the game and plenty of people who will help you get on your feet by way of building a suit or donating some weapons, spellbooks, etc. Alot of that is guild and group dependent. Happy to give you more economy related specifics if you have other questions.

As a returning player will I have a hard time starting out?
That depends. You're not going to build an end-game character over night, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise as that is an aspect of almost all MMORPGs. UO does have a 'pay-to-win' factor that allows people to jump ahead faster than compared to some other games, which is a topic that has its share of both supporters and detractors. If you have a good guild that can help you get your feet off the ground and that you have fun playing with, then I think you won't be bothered as much by some of the initial new player barriers.

A few years back, there was a major change made to the taming system whereby you can now train pets to add additional skills, abilities and stats. While it largely ended the age of Greater Dragons being the top pet, it greatly increased the viability of several other pets so that there is alot of variation to what a tamer can do. An argument could be well made that these changes made tamers the most powerful PVM template in the game.

Hope that gives you some of the feedback you were looking for. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if there is anyway I can help or answer other questions. Good luck on your journey - nice to have you back!!

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
I didn't read anything but OP but free shard way to go. Unless you got vet or vet friends to milk. Still same here though that's for sure. Nothing changes and I mean nothing. So go to free for some change. Sad but true.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How is the game in it's current state?
That's a bit of loaded question. The answer you get here will depend on who you ask. For me personally, someone that's been pretty active the last 4-5 years, the game is becoming extremely stale and boring. There seems to be an average of 3 event arcs a year that might be a little different (they last 2-3 months) but are very similar (Spring event / Halloween event / Krampus & Artisan Festival). They are pretty cookie cutter being styled after the Treasures of Tokuno but usually have a couple of rewards that are worth working for even for vets.

For a returning player this current state wouldn't really matter because it's going to be new for you along with many other aspects of the game; I could see a new player easily having a year or 2 of "new" experiences keeping them engaged.

The question on gameplay would also fall into this category. I do think there are plenty of things a new/returning player would think is fun but my definition of fun might be different from yours. I enjoy end game type content with high risk/high reward which is part of the reason the game is getting stale for me because I've done most of it now. Part of the fun is also working up to doing the end game content. That said, for me personally now that I've built many chars, I don't really have a desire to work skills by active play (I will macro them in Luna until I'm GM). Part of that journey of becoming GM might be fun for a new player though.

What shard is the most populated? Does account age matter anymore? How is the game play is it still fun? How is the in-game economy? As a returning player will I have a hard time starting out?

Thanks
Atlantic is going to be the most populated (this helps with being able to buy things you might need/want more easily). Account age doesn't really matter too much as everyone can ride ethy's now and use most rewards (shard shields are acct bound and need to be 14yrs to use).

The in game economy has had some serious inflation occur over the last 5-10 years but it's all relative. You probably won't become "rich" by slaying dragons for gold anymore but you might loot a ring/bracelet off the dragon that might net you 20million gold. So while things do cost quite a bit more for the most part, you will also be able to sell some of your things for quite a bit more too so it kind of balances out. This goes back to the shard you play though; this is more easily done on ATL (in my opinion) because you have more commerce.

I think you should be fine as a returning player starting out as long as you enjoyed playing the game originally because it's a similar concept where you will need figure things out because there isn't really a consistent method for things. Example - some quests you need to double click an NPC while others you need to single click and others you need to say something to them (clicking them does nothing). As long as you have the patience for that and are willing to come here/UOGuide/Wiki/UOCah/etc then you will be fine. Also there are plenty of people, including myself, that will be able to help you get started by giving you some armor/etc to get started.

Taming is still one of the top templates to have. You can now buy a token to start out at like 80 skill to give you a jump on it and use blue scrolls to increase skill gain (along with using a mastery once you are at 90 so you don't even need to tame things to increase the skill). Overall taming isn't the non-stop taming grind it was early on. That being said....if you didn't take 10 months straight to tame every wolf/polar bear and bull in Britannia, can you really even call yourself a tamer?? :hahaha:

Overall I think you will enjoy your time coming back to UO and it will give you plenty to do for at least a year. Depending how long you were gone for it might even give you fun stuff to do even longer.

Last edited:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I started in 2000, took a break in 2008, came back in 2015, was a new game with all the changes they made. They are not stopping with making changes just SLOW with making them. I play the old 2D (Classical Client) As said above, it depends where you are, what guilds are around etc. One way is to post in the Shards forums check for any Discord links they have, If you check the Sonoma one here at Stratics you will see a PUBLIC discord channel posted. Discord is the key to reaching people in this online world today. Safe Travels

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on when and how you played previously. I played Pac and LA as a merchant (shop owner, IDOC hunter, PvM, Solo play) and from 2003 to 2009, and off and on, i played spring of 2022.
I don't like the direction of the game, and a huge sign it wasn't worth it ( For Me ) was the gargoyles and when Assia Penryn, MEC and FL quit or left or died off...

Most shards are empty, except Atl. IDOC are useless IMO and anything good disappears now.
Vet rewards are still a thing, but like someone mentioned its only good for xfer shields.
Theres still PVP, and there are more group activities available, new lands, elves, gargoyles, new house tiles, more storage, gold is a number in our banks now.
Many vets like the current situation, and of course I get nostalgic for it, but its not the same.
Read through the UO.com site for info and like someone mentioned look for discord servers for activities.