• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How hard is it... not very.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
A topic came up in Uhall a few ago about how hard/expensive it is for players to take part in any new content. So in the interest of testing I started a character on Origin to see how long before I reaped the high value new rewards. If you've not played Origin before it's laggy, under populated and doesn't have much in the way of vendors though coming from Atlantic and Europa maybe I've just been spoiled.

To preface I did already have a couple of hodgepodge characters there from having a peek at past events, no one developed, however, between them and with the new shared bank I should point out that I did have more than 25k to start with (not a lot more).

I started with 60 Str, 20 Dex, 10 Int, because Int raises faster than the other two when not at the skill cap. For skills I went with 50 Throwing and 50 Begging (to mess around with trick or treating) which although I dropped does show I didn't spend every minute training or grinding up a character. I went with Throwing because you can kill things with no armor or equipment or ammo.

I started in Haven and bought Tactics, Anatomy, Bushido and Chivalry to 40 for 400 gp each, also bought a Bushido book and a Chivalry book but didn't tithe anything. I then did the advanced gains quests taking most of those skills to 50, at the same time I allowed Focus, Med and Resist to raise. Why? Because the quicker you get to the skill cap the easier it is to do your stats. Fighting Spectral Binders and Zombies I soon had another 3k gold which covered what I had spent so far, I also had one piece of looted jewelry which gave me some LMC to help with Bushido gains. (I didn't work Chivalry at all).

I decided to stick my character in VvV for some free artifacts. My Int reached 70 just doing the new player quests and then needed turning down to go into Dex. I took a run over to the Turtle Champ Spawn and one was just being killed I didn't get rights but did get 40k off the floor. I then went and purchased a small boat and sailed to Underworld. This is a cost I could have avoided if I had thought to run round Luna first as there was a Corrupted Crystal Portal on a doorstep. But well boats are blessed and useful to have anyway.

I went in and set myself up on a ledge with the Acid Slugs and made a macro to attack the nearest, prime Lightning Strike and use Anatomy all at the same time. Bear in mind I'm still using the Boomerang I started with. Maybe 1-3 hours of actual training like this and Throwing, Tactics, Anatomy, and Bushido were all in the 70's, Anatomy in the 80's due to double gains from hitting and direct use. As I was using LS Med and Focus also raised and by day 2 I was at the skill cap, and Str/Dex maxed out.

Visiting the Turtle Champ another 2-3 times in the first two days acquired me with more gold, and armor and the first drop a level 1 book for Wrestling. I purchased an npc Soul Glaive for range and base damage and took the Spellweaving, Dreadhorn and Shimmering quests while in Heartwood too just for access and good training spots.

Day 3 I worked skills a little more everything in the 80's and considered Necro/SS although without any LRC or a crafter have held off on this so far. The character can now easily take part in all levels of the Champ and got the second drop a level 1 Necro book.

The character has died but as all the gear is expendable I haven't bothered to insure any of it, none of it has been lost. Pah.jpg

So all in all it's not difficult at all to start getting rewards as my 2-3 day old character shows. Admittedly I know more than a completely new player, but these things are all available and every aspect of the game documented in enough paces that if you wanted to get into it quickly you could look it up.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What next...

Make a second character with 50 Imbuing and 50 whatever. Unravel a bag of randomly looted pieces from the other character for ingredients, you can now Imbue a basic LRC suit and train Chivalry/Necro... you can claim a free Orny from the VvV Silver trader.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Good job on the writeup, and good job showing that you don't need to stand around in town hitting a pet or what have you and have all your skills at 120 and all your armor maxxed out before you venture out into the world to kill osme mobs and collect some loot.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
On a side note as it's a fairly dead shard you can get 300-400 silver just capturing towns for VvV in order to get all the pieces necessary for training. I went back got the Orny, Crimson and 15 LMC book for training. So now have 2/6 100 LRC 25 LMC and about 6 MR to train with and can work Necro/SS/Chiv for free.

Downside is there's no Alacrity or Powerscrolls for sale not even 10's which slows gains.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
There's definitely a paradox to the emptier shards. On one hand, you rarely face competition for hunting spots/resource gathering. Oh the other hand, you need to gather all your own resources because none are for sale, and if you need help to kill some big beastie - it's seldom available.

Kaine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Not to be a negative nancy, but a new player isn't going to know how to do any of that. Absolutely nothing in or about this game is "well documented". I've been playing for a couple weeks now and I have no clue what about half of what you said means or how to do it, and I've spent a TON of time looking stuff up while at work.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Not to be a negative nancy, but a new player isn't going to know how to do any of that. Absolutely nothing in or about this game is "well documented". I've been playing for a couple weeks now and I have no clue what about half of what you said means or how to do it, and I've spent a TON of time looking stuff up while at work.
This is true. There is nice doc in uoguide.com but only for what you just know.
For example, I do not know yet where to go to battle with nearly 100 in sword.
any guide tell me which challenge is for my level. and this is very important for new players.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Absolutely nothing in or about this game is "well documented".
Rubbish. Every single thing in this game is well documented right down to the game mechanics that control it. If you're capable of typing search terms into google you can find out anything about this game. You may be a few weeks old but this game is 18 years old and people have been writing about it for most of that time. Aside from the fact there is an in game help option, the company's own website which yes shock is actually accurate, Stratics, UOguide, forums, wiki's, dedicated sites for tamers and crafters, and global chat... basically if you can't find something out it's because you haven't tried. I didn't know jack **** about VvV when I came back, it took all of 2 minutes to read about it and take advantage of the free gear available to me.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I do not know yet where to go to battle with nearly 100 in sword.
Actually no, it's not important for new players, what's important for new players is exploring and learning the game, if you logged in and the game told you exactly what to do this wouldn't be an open game.

Kaine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Rubbish. Every single thing in this game is well documented right down to the game mechanics that control it. If you're capable of typing search terms into google you can find out anything about this game. You may be a few weeks old but this game is 18 years old and people have been writing about it for most of that time. Aside from the fact there is an in game help option, the company's own website which yes shock is actually accurate, Stratics, UOguide, forums, wiki's, dedicated sites for tamers and crafters, and global chat... basically if you can't find something out it's because you haven't tried. I didn't know jack **** about VvV when I came back, it took all of 2 minutes to read about it and take advantage of the free gear available to me.
If you don't know what to search for. Searching is not helpful. For example, I've never heard of VvV until you mentioned it.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you don't know what to search for. Searching is not helpful.
Well use some common sense. What do you expect them to do come round and type it in your internet browser for you? Give you 1-2-1 tuition?

A good place to start is with the name of the game you're playing. Followed by the general topic you want to know about. *Can't believe I'm having to explain how to google an 18 year old game.*

Santos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm doing the same on Atlantic right now but O think my knowledge of the game makes it easier. The in-game community is key.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hello everyone,

This is a very good discussion and there are a lot of great points, however please make sure to not insult or belittle other people in your posts, things like that do not contribute to the conversation they only cause drama.

Thanks.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I know how to Google search, as I said I've been doing research for a couple weeks. Do you expect someone to learn every single thing there is to know about an 18 year old game in a couple days? If you are representative of the typical UO player then no wonder this game is dead.
There is no timescale for anyone learning the game. As such I have made no expectations nor care for any. But if I had, no, they don't need to learn every single thing, just the ones that are relevant to what they're trying to do. I'm not representative of the typical UO player, nor trying to be, and glad not to be. The typical UO player is incapable of learning, this is evident in the endless res killing themselves 10+ year vets that still don't know how to play or setup their characters.

I'll bet that whatever you've been researching for weeks could have been achieved in less than 3 days too if you had thought to form and ask the right questions.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Asking the right questions is key. For instance, there's a currently active thread in the Crafter forum where someone basically asked "how do I imbue a suit?" without giving any context for the question. This may seem like a reasonable question... except that the answers are approximately 60% different depending on the type of character.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing the Crystal Ball quest is worthwhile to see how you are doing on maximizing skill gains during training.

The quest giver for this is right outside the alchemy shop in Ter Mur Royal City.

You need 100 Daemon Bone and 100 Dragon Blood to complete the quest.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A topic came up in Uhall a few ago about how hard/expensive it is for players to take part in any new content. So in the interest of testing I started a character on Origin to see how long before I reaped the high value new rewards. If you've not played Origin before it's laggy, under populated and doesn't have much in the way of vendors though coming from Atlantic and Europa maybe I've just been spoiled.

Day 3 I worked skills a little more everything in the 80's and considered Necro/SS although without any LRC or a crafter have held off on this so far. The character can now easily take part in all levels of the Champ and got the second drop a level 1 Necro book.

The character has died but as all the gear is expendable I haven't bothered to insure any of it, none of it has been lost. View attachment 37446

So all in all it's not difficult at all to start getting rewards as my 2-3 day old character shows. Admittedly I know more than a completely new player, but these things are all available and every aspect of the game documented in enough paces that if you wanted to get into it quickly you could look it up.

I think you will be able to get enough LRC off of Looted Armor and Jewlery to patch together some sort of set for training. It might not have all the best LMC and Mana Regen, but still it will do the job at the expense of some time.

I have crafters on Origin, and I've been thinking of what would make a good "beginner" suit for throwers. My goal for the suit was to not use any relics or special ingredients and be easy to make. I call it my scrub suit project. With 2 or 3 shadow runics and a few of the lower level refinements to adjust up resist max, it could get people playing pretty well. A 70/75/70/70/70 suit with reforged HCI and LMC as well as 100LRC, and Stam Incr and HPI, and some luck in the remaining open imbue slots could be put together. Made from plate with agapite enhance before imbuing for a few resist points seems like it would be cheapest to put together. It wouldn't be optimized, but it give people a good starting point.

If you would like to test drive a suit like that, on Origin, I can throw one together. It would be good to get your thoughts on it. I made a suit to try out wraith thrower that was 63/80/71/72/74 with 10HCI, 42Stam Incr, 20HPI, 100LRC, 28Mana Incr, and 270 Luck. For ring and bracelet, I used loot that I had found that were both 5SSI. Making it for the first time, my lessons learned(aka my mistakes!): reforge for HCI and LMC before adding agapite, and to tune the suit resists so you would be at max fire resist for both wraith and vampire. I got Open Office and used the spreadsheet after getting confused and losing track trying to do it on paper. Very basic use, just sum up the columns, make a formula to see how many more points to make the resist, and I changed the background color where I had imbued.

With everyone's helpful insights, maybe a beginner kit could be made for putting on vendors that wouldn't be too much trouble to put together so it could be made and sold cheaply.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
My goal for the suit was to not use any relics or special ingredients and be easy to make.
I think you are vastly under estimating how easy relics are to get. I was wearing 0 luck the other day, and was in Painted Caves in Trammel (only because I didn't have a rune to felucca, I swear) killing Troglodytes and was just looting everything from every kill. Each bag full of loot was ~80 items and when unraveled would give approx. 90 residue, 80 essence, 10 relics. Took me about 10 mins to fill a bag.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you are vastly under estimating how easy relics are to get. I was wearing 0 luck the other day, and was in Painted Caves in Trammel (only because I didn't have a rune to felucca, I swear) killing Troglodytes and was just looting everything from every kill. Each bag full of loot was ~80 items and when unraveled would give approx. 90 residue, 80 essence, 10 relics. Took me about 10 mins to fill a bag.
I started using the Enhanced Client with Pinco UI and it will sort your loot so you can grab relics. It makes loot hunting super easy. But if you added relics to the scrub suit, and you needed 10 relics per suit to stock 6 suits would mean an hour of loot hunting. Residue and Essence seems to build up so there is always a surplus, so for me anyway, that would keep me from needing to do any hunting at all to gather ingredients for such a suit. I know, super lazy. To me, that would make it cheaper since it would get rid of that time factor. Good point though, maybe the next suit upgrade up could be relics and special ingredients if someone was going to stock them on a vendor.