• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you role?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me start by saying this is not a rant.......seriously!!

Since I've been back, I've been trying many different temps as my old ones just don't work anymore with the way they were set up.
I don't know what it is but nothing seems to "feel right"?
I used to role a straight forward Paladin Warrior.

Now I have no problems with the skills as I have everything on stones nearly twice over but....
I dunno, everytime I go out to hunt everything seems to be so frantic and if the RNG gives me one bad steer, it's dirt nap time?
Am I missing something since I've been away?
Do I have to use 3rd party programs now to hunt in the classic client?
I use Lesser Artifact armour or better if I can find it but again it just seems like paper, even the Macaws give me a hard time and if those bugs surface from underground, it's time to run.

I keep hearing these stories about how people solo most bosses or Doom ect and I just think....How??? What am I doing so wrong?? Have things changed that much that quick?
Looking at vids on youtube and their health bars don't even seem to move from full?? Whereas I try it and in 1 hit i'm down to like 20hp left and running...

I know some of the problem is that i'm just not sinking with any "style" of char at the moment and constantly swapping between my Melee, archer, tamer, mage ect....but seem to end up on my crafters just going thru the motions.

So my question I suppose is...

What's your main char and how did you decide?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was trying to see where the RP question is, but then realized you must have meant "roll", not "role".
If you are looking to solo top end content on a dexxer, then you want to build either a Sampire or a Dragoon - Guides available in a Warrior forum. Both of those are extremely suit sensitive and it can be a frustrating experience if you try it in a cheap suit.

Tamers have gotten much better with masteries, but masteries are expensive.

Best Bang for the Buck is probably some sort of a Mystic template. Mystics have the strongest summons and can do most high end content.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I roll two main toons. The Doctor Mainly a Tamer 120 Tame 120 Lore with 80 vet with 120 spellweaving. He also has Mystic & Focus maxed with focus on trinket and Mystic Mage Focus on jewels. The same with Magery which is mainly used for invis to break agro. I use this build mainly for the shadowguard roof because soloing some rooms is easier with RC than GD for me. And use Taming Mastery Consume Damage for roof with group, which is usually tamers. Keep spare pair of jewels to boost vet and mage for rezzing. The Gear I roll with helps. I use studded armor if I can cause because I don't have med for added LMC and 3-4 MR on each piece with HPR 14. Word of Death is a big plus at the end of most any fights. My Sampire Neo I do mainly spawns with for AoE power 120 Swords 120 tactics 120 anatomy 120 Bushido (For Bonus to whirlwind & Momentum Strike) 100 Necro (Carry spare lrc suit with high regins to get back in fight with Necro on jewels for ease getting back into vamp) 95 Chiv for EoO at no fail if needed. I run either 45 resist or 45 parry with skill to boost on jewels (not optimized as you would want 60 parry for the lmc discount but this is spawning setup and whirlwind gets me plenty of mana back) May lower chiv 15 points and put skill on jewel for LMC but I always have mana. The main thing that helped me with sampire was getting damage increase & ssi off weapon. I am able to reforge NPC made axes and fit 5 max imbues with all three leeches there with slayer, hit area for spawn and HLD for boss. NPC two handers have enough weight to imbue that you don't need to buy whetstone for every one making a good arsenal easy to obtain. Just my thoughts/ramblings hope this gives you some ideas of your own.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My first char (on LS) was a battle mage. 1999-2000 changed to a scribe as there was money in making recalls and gates back then, then a bard. When transfer first came out we took that char to Sonoma, later change it to an archer/mage/spell weaver. However, I will have to say that my favor char is my main tamer.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me start by saying this is not a rant.......seriously!!

Since I've been back, I've been trying many different temps as my old ones just don't work anymore with the way they were set up.
I don't know what it is but nothing seems to "feel right"?
I used to role a straight forward Paladin Warrior.

Now I have no problems with the skills as I have everything on stones nearly twice over but....
I dunno, everytime I go out to hunt everything seems to be so frantic and if the RNG gives me one bad steer, it's dirt nap time?
Am I missing something since I've been away?
Do I have to use 3rd party programs now to hunt in the classic client?
I use Lesser Artifact armour or better if I can find it but again it just seems like paper, even the Macaws give me a hard time and if those bugs surface from underground, it's time to run.

I keep hearing these stories about how people solo most bosses or Doom ect and I just think....How??? What am I doing so wrong?? Have things changed that much that quick?
Looking at vids on youtube and their health bars don't even seem to move from full?? Whereas I try it and in 1 hit i'm down to like 20hp left and running...

I know some of the problem is that i'm just not sinking with any "style" of char at the moment and constantly swapping between my Melee, archer, tamer, mage ect....but seem to end up on my crafters just going thru the motions.

So my question I suppose is...

What's your main char and how did you decide?
Do you use bandages as your only source of healing? What weapon and what mods are you using? What's your DCI//HCI? LMC? etc?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah sorry my opening post isn't really clear.
I know I suck at hunting now.

I wanted to know about you lot,
What main chars do you play and what made you chose the style you play?

I originally played the Paladin as i'd always played the "protector" type of char back in the days of Role Play and it just sort of stuck, I felt the most comfortable in that char and it showed in my playstyle.
Nowadays I just feel like a clumsy warrior not really knowing what to press and what combinations ect.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I believe the "sampire" is still the template that many use, I tried making one once but found it annoying to play as it uses the damage you do as your healing so it felt like an odd balancing act, one which I sucked at.

Nothing wrong with playing a paladin, my "big gun" char for a long while now is my Gargoyle paladin thrower, no clever template or anything:
120 Throwing(115 actual skill and +5 from unforgiven veil)
120 Tactcs
100 healing
110 Chivalry
120 anatomy(110 and +10 from duelists edge talisman)
110 resisting spells(seems to be sweet spot for not getting paralyzed by big paragons)
55 focus(I regen mana from mana leech on all throwing weapons I use)

I use this char mostly to solo champ spawns in Fel, can complete arachnid,vermin,demon and reptile in 40 mins, undead in 50 mins(champ isnt slayer vulnerable), also to farm paragon ballys and ancient wyrms in Ilsh for chests to get maps for my treasure hunter.

I use imbued soul glaives with mana leech, hit area and super slayer(tailored to whichever spawn), and swing speed increase, consecrate weapon up 100% of the time, enemy of one used on anything in the spawn that isnt covered by the super slayer.

I use pretty good gear but the main is imbued stone armour, my swing speed is 1.5 seconds with a glaive, it seems impractical to try to get to 1.25 with a glaive on a gargoyle, it seems to be the only weakness of a thrower compared to an archer, and there are many benefits of a thrower over an archer, no need to carry ammo being the biggest.

All in all its a nice solid char and I enjoy playing it.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I'm a roleplayer and most of my characters are running around with crappy equipment so I'm probably not the one to provide the answers you seek.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm a role-player so my characters developed and are as they are... sometimes they learn new things but basically my Main is an ABC archer... he started as a stealth archer... but when stealthing became obsolete when every rabbit and anything else would reveal you and when people with JOAT could track a 120 Stealther with no problem I quit using it and stoned it off. Sad days...

But honestly due to ADD and whatever I play a multitude of characters many of them Tamers, Crafters, and Archers... I don't really like Melee fighting... so I think I might have 1 fencer and 1 swordsman and my Sampire is a Macer... Though she used to be Swords I think... Macing seemed easier.

Though anymore I barely play UO... I don't like grinding and I find it boring. I enjoy the EM Event and what little RP I can find... but otherwise I have become rather addicted to Slither.io.... I blame @Frog ... All his Froggy Fault! And I play No Man's Sky... which is a solo game which works for my hours of play when no one that speaks English seems to be around. And I can't solo much of anything in UO anymore... and what I can solo is boring... What I'd like to be doing requires more people... and no one is on when I am and with the number of accounts I have Moving has never been an option... besides GL's is my home... I don't care to be anywhere else... I'd rather quit.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I can fully dedicate my attention to the hunt, I usually play an old school melee fighter/tank type of character, but like you said all it takes is some bad luck from the RNG to get slaughtered using this method. I don't use any third party programs, not even UO Assist anymore. I don't like using Sampires either.

If I'm partially distracted by things like icq, guild chat, etc. I'll use an archer or thrower instead. It gives me some leeway, and lets me look away every few seconds to do something else without instantly being killed.

If I'm extremely distracted but still am going on a hunt for whatever reason I use a tamer. Lots of time to look away and do other things, just need to occasionally heal the dragon and target something new for "all kill".

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, I spent a lot of time creating a top-end bushido paladin (dragoon) swordsman so I could solo blackthorn captains. She could also stone swords and switch to archery for spawns and events. Then I decided soloing stuff is boring.
So I checked out some other shards, decided on one, and started building new characters from scratch (I usually start with a gargoyle mystic mage because it's got the most punch for the least amount of money). I think I enjoy building up characters more than hi-end stuff, especially since I have no interest in any type of house deco (the houses on my two accounts are purely workshops and storage units for materials).
I also got recruited into a guild for the first time in a decade, and that may give the game a whole new dimension after I spend some time building characters.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, I spent a lot of time creating a top-end bushido paladin (dragoon) swordsman so I could solo blackthorn captains. She could also stone swords and switch to archery for spawns and events. Then I decided soloing stuff is boring.
So I checked out some other shards, decided on one, and started building new characters from scratch (I usually start with a gargoyle mystic mage because it's got the most punch for the least amount of money). I think I enjoy building up characters more than hi-end stuff, especially since I have no interest in any type of house deco (the houses on my two accounts are purely workshops and storage units for materials).
I also got recruited into a guild for the first time in a decade, and that may give the game a whole new dimension after I spend some time building characters.
For a long while that's something I spent a LOT of time doing was building characters everywhere... but that got old

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For a long while that's something I spent a LOT of time doing was building characters everywhere... but that got old
Yea, the problem with that is it's just too much of a hassle operating without a house - I've tried it for a while out of inns and bankboxes - and I don't want to open more accounts to have more houses

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't pretend to be the expert to answer this question, but I have 100% life leech on the weapons of my bushido paladin, but I've taken 90% life leech when reforging rolled that along with 100% mana leech, for slayer weapons

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I quit for about 4 years kept all accounts active now I'm back and I was hoping skills where more balanced so I could just play a straight paladin or mage

I see some of suits and what it takes to get them and the crafting and ingredients wtf

Anymore its deco and crafting which is boring

I just want to hunt monsters not the perfect piece of armor then hunt for resources recipes etc

Way to much complexity that I'm not willing to spend the time doing just to fight a high end monster.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see some of suits and what it takes to get them and the crafting and ingredients wtf
I just want to hunt monsters not the perfect piece of armor then hunt for resources recipes etc
Way to much complexity that I'm not willing to spend the time doing just to fight a high end monster.
I think it makes sense that you'd need a high end suit to fight a high end monster. And even then only if you want to solo it. In a group, you can use anything you like and be effective.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't pretend to be the expert to answer this question, but I have 100% life leech on the weapons of my bushido paladin, but I've taken 90% life leech when reforging rolled that along with 100% mana leech, for slayer weapons
If you use Onslaught swords mastery you can get away 81% Life leech combined with elemental weapon.

kazeandi

Adventurer
I got 3 chars, my main would be

120 Magery
120 Medi
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Mystic
120 Focus

Never run out of mana, Colossus kills for me and Provo and Invis keep me safe.

maji111

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My personal preference is playing variations of the traditional sampire build. I tend to favour the following as my generic template:

120 swords, 110+10 tactics, 120 bushido, 120 resist, , 60 parry, 100 necro and 90+30 chivalry.

I prefer the utility of having 120 resist as it provides great protection against necro mobs that cast omen on you, stops you from being mana whacked entirely on several encounters and you have more protection against the ghosting mongoloids of Europa who will happily switch servers to raid you with a combination of dismounter, snare and para spam. Furthermore, due to defensive mechanics, 60 parry is sufficient if you take 40 DCI from your suit and the remaining 5 from swords mastery. On soulstones, I have 100 lumberjacking and 120 anat readily available to switch out wherever is appropriate, however, I'm rarely required to do so.

My sampires tackle most encounters in the game and they do so relatively effectively. They _can_ solo roof and harrowers etc, however, once I did that for the accomplishment, I decided to just run with my bard to farm them as it's a generally nicer experience.

If you are struggling to find a certain build, it would be useful to know what template it is that you have been attempting and more importantly, what suit you have been running with. Sampire builds and warrior builds in general can be taken from very powerful to utterly powerless by the exclusion of certain elements or by lacking synchronisation between stats/skills.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Make a sampire, you can basically solo most the game, if you are not sure of your skills as a player, I recommend you get reforged weapons with 100 HLL, then you will be leeching life all the time and wont die, although its pointless in a sense as your VE is leeching life but incase you are not very good fighter take this route.
If you feel a bit more secure with yourself and how the template works, then reforge your weapons to have 100% HML, and then you can chain AI all the time.

Chiv/Bush Archer is also a very nice template, if you can add some healing then even better, the range allows you to run away and not be hit by a melee and heal as needed when in too much danger. Having also 100% elemental bows makes a huge difference in your damage output.

I tend to use both these templates most the time, as they are the most versatile for me and the less time wasting when doing champs, peerless or SG.

Then you can go for the typical, Mage/Mystic/Spellweaver, with no RS, huge fire power but your only downside is you are a target for spellcasters as you will be paralized, burnt, poisoned, electrified and frozen like hell.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
My personal preference is playing variations of the traditional sampire build. I tend to favour the following as my generic template:

120 swords, 110+10 tactics, 120 bushido, 120 resist, , 60 parry, 100 necro and 90+30 chivalry.

I prefer the utility of having 120 resist as it provides great protection against necro mobs that cast omen on you, stops you from being mana whacked entirely on several encounters and you have more protection against the ghosting mongoloids of Europa who will happily switch servers to raid you with a combination of dismounter, snare and para spam. Furthermore, due to defensive mechanics, 60 parry is sufficient if you take 40 DCI from your suit and the remaining 5 from swords mastery. On soulstones, I have 100 lumberjacking and 120 anat readily available to switch out wherever is appropriate, however, I'm rarely required to do so.

My sampires tackle most encounters in the game and they do so relatively effectively. They _can_ solo roof and harrowers etc, however, once I did that for the accomplishment, I decided to just run with my bard to farm them as it's a generally nicer experience.

If you are struggling to find a certain build, it would be useful to know what template it is that you have been attempting and more importantly, what suit you have been running with. Sampire builds and warrior builds in general can be taken from very powerful to utterly powerless by the exclusion of certain elements or by lacking synchronisation between stats/skills.
Who are you in Europa?