• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

how do you gain stats now?

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i know you used to be able to just set a skill up a little and one down then u could gain whichever stat u had set up by using that skill a few times, do u have to be skill capped now or something to gain easily?

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i had someone with 0 wrestle bash me for some str gains. So i guess u'd use Spirit speak for Int and Snooping or something silimar for Dex.

From what i understand you dont need to gain in the skill, just have the skill checked by using it. But don't hold me to it, I'm still trying to catch up from Pre AoS ways LOL

B

BartofCats

they made it so that you have to actually gain in a skill in order to gain in a stat. Why??? well... it still makes the dev team scratch their heads when they do something stupid like this.

They claim it was to "make it easier" for vets to gain the stats... HAHAHAHA my claim is that they made it harder for the legit players *AGAIN* to do anything in the game.

T

Teeshy

In the "players corner" FAQ there's a groovy chart that shows which skills help gain in each stat (I use it a lot =P)

This thread, post #9

S

Sebrina

i know you used to be able to just set a skill up a little and one down then u could gain whichever stat u had set up by using that skill a few times, do u have to be skill capped now or something to gain easily?
Because of the changes, any new character that I create starts with Wrestling to bring up Strength as fast as possible. Even if it is a Mage, it is frustrating to try dawning certain armor or weapons and getting a message that you do not have the strength to do so.

Working out the DEX & INT seems to fall in place after that....actually dropping the wrestling in favor of other skills...yah sounds stupid, but it's been my solution for a long time.

S

Sir Stain

Now think about this! You are a new player. You join the game only to find that a few MONTHS later you are NOT a player that can go against just fairly difficult monsters much less PVP. By the time that player can be a contender he or she is tired of the game because all they have done is work skills and stats. Another lost acct! Food for thought!

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Demonous get your skills up to 700 or 720 wherever your cap is and your stats will max out fairly quickly.:)

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have a soul stone or fragment, you can clear off a little space and use that for stat gains. If you are a new character, you should have a lot of space for stat gain.

I will say that training stats and skills is a lot easier for vets than new players. Time saving tricks aside, items often make stat gain easy. If I don't mind a new character having low karma, I will put a cloak of corruption + various cursed artifacts with hit point regen on a character and watch meditation and focus jump up, gaining stats along the way. Again, this will make you an outcast, but it does get stats done. For maxed out characters, if one of your skills is meditation or focus, you can usually set this to down and regain it later, using a few borrowed points from thse skills to pingpong between skills like arms lore, eval int, anatomy, music, mining, whatever.

Zy'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont need space to gain skill in order to gain stats.

For example - ani Lore raises Str. If you are a newb gaining lore, lock dex, and int, and str will gain.
It will gain massivley slowly toward the end of the skill - 85-100. Once the ani lore skill hits 100, so long as the arrow is pointing up, and u keep loring an animal, it will gain stats (str), faster than it did, then when u were gaining skill. See my post above and click the link for what skill raises what stat.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont need space to gain skill in order to gain stats.

For example - ani Lore raises Str. If you are a newb gaining lore, lock dex, and int, and str will gain.
It will gain massivley slowly toward the end of the skill - 85-100. Once the ani lore skill hits 100, so long as the arrow is pointing up, and u keep loring an animal, it will gain stats (str), faster than it did, then when u were gaining skill. See my post above and click the link for what skill raises what stat.
I have noticed this. If I set my arrows up/down with a maxed out character to make slight moves, if I'm not careful, I'll have to fix a lot more. I'm not sure they are really that much faster, but it isn't something I've really tested.

I do think it is easier to build a character stats first then skills. Any casting skill really needs that mana, and melee skill really needs that swing speed from dex, etc. Though with that in mind, I often build characters in a piece wise fashion, building skills on an already developed character. If someone plans to make lots of characters or remake characters frequently, a soulstone is a really good investment.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stats are very easy to raise now. Just get to your skill cap (easy for old chars), or just buy unneeded skills to reach your cap if it's a new char. Once you're at your skill cap, set Mining to raise, but don't have anything pointed down, grab a few shovels and hit the mountains or a cave. Lock Dex & Int so you can raise Str (or lock Str if you want to raise Int) and just mine away. If you're an elf, you won't even get any ore or use up a shovel, but after 5 mins or so you will start to gain. You can get from 20 to 120 in less then two hours. For Dex gains, set Lockpicking to go up, get a locked box and a few hundred picks and dex will fly up (again it usually takes 5 mins or so for the 1st gain). You will never open the box but you can easily get to 125 in less then 2 hours (if you want to raise Int, just lock dex).

If you don't want to buy skills to your cap, you can do the same two skills, but everytime you reach 25 in that skill, use a soulstone (or frag) to remove the skill (and you can flush the skill off the stone w/out using a charge) and start training again. Obviously this is more of a challenge to do with mining, since you have to be in a house or Inn to use the stone, but with Lockpicking you can do it in your house.

L

Lord Drakelord

Alchemy - Int / Dex
Anatomy - Int / Str
Animal Lore - Int / Str
Animal Taming - Str / Int
Archery - Dex / Str
Arms Lore - Int / Str
Begging - Dex / Int
Blacksmithing - Str / Dex
Bowcraft/Fletching - Dex / Str
Bushido - Str / Int
Camping - Dex / Int
Carpentry - Str, Dex
Cartography - Int / Dex
Chivalry - Str / Int
Cooking - Int / Dex
Detect Hidden - Int / Dex
Discordance - Int / Dex
Evaluating Intelligence - Int / Str
Fencing - Dex / Str
Fishing - Dex / Str
Focus - Dex / Int
Forensic Evaluation - Int / Dex
Healing - Int / Dex
Herding - Int / Dex
Hiding - Dex / Int
Inscription - Int / Dex
Item Identification - Int / Dex
Lockpicking - Dex / Int
Lumberjacking - Str / Dex
Mace Fighting - Str / Dex
Magery - Int / Str
Meditation - Int / Str
Mining - Str / Dex
Musicianship - Dex / Int
Necromancy - Int / Str
Ninjitsu - Dex / Int
Parrying - Dex / Str
Peacemaking - Int / Dex
Poisoning - Int / Dex
Provocation - Int / Dex
Remove Trap - Dex / Int
Resisting Spells - Str / Dex
Snooping - Dex / Int
Spellweaving - Int / Str
Spirit Speak - Int / Str
Stealing - Dex / Int
Stealth - Dex / Int
Swordsmanship - Str / Dex
Tactics - Str / Dex
Tailoring - Dex / Int
Taste Identification - Int / Str
Tinkering - Dex / Int
Tracking - Int / Dex
Veterinary - Int / Dex
Wrestling - Str / Dex
Well I had this list parked on my PC for a long time, I understand that if you use a skill, it will checks the first stat, then the 2nd.

T

T_Amon_from_work

go here and look for "Stat gains from skills" reply post.

Players Corner has information recovered from pre-crash mostly reposted and you're welcome to use it!