• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do you develop your characters?

How do you work a character up?

• Total voters

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just curious as to how the average player develops their templates? Do you train each toon to a particular level before you head out to adventure with them? Or do you just use the 'learn as you go' method? Or do you just Powergame them to completion before you start using them? Maybe a mixture of all 3?

For the most part I tend to use the train as you go method. With the obvious exception being my mules. Seeing as I've played on and off since 2000, and only have one 100% complete template out of 13, I'd never get to adventuring if I waited until they were done to play with them. I only powergame skills when I really want to get them finished (such as lockpicking), or when using the skill at lower levels is more of a handicap than a help.

U

ultima online

or the option for "i train them for a bit, then give up and do something else for a bit, then go do something else when i get bored of that one, then maybe do the first one again for a while"?

C

Connor_Graham

Oops, I should have added that one huh?
LOL, yeah. Especially since you asked the question in your OP. :dunce:

Put me down for:

Crafters- Powertrain

Other than Bowyer/Fletcher, and to a smaller extent Tinker, trying to train crafting skills through normal gameplay would have a teenager seeing themselves with grandchildren before the character GM'd or 120'd a skill.

Meleer/Archer- Combination of all 3

Start off in Heartwood utilizing the quests and the increased gain chance to get to 50 skill, then powertrain using the various methods up to around 70ish, then train as you hunt from there.

Casters- Powertrain & Normal Gameplay

I powertrained my casting skills standing at my house. I tried to combine this training with dropping runes for my vendors so I could restock immediately if something sold, along with being able to greet and/or assist any of my customers. This served the purpose of both giving my vendor house that personal touch, and keeping me from being bored out of my skull casting the same spell over and over again.

Bard/Tamer- Train a little, then go find something else to do for a few days

Taming and Bard skills take so damn long to train, with the gains few and far between, that it gets boring as hell taming or barding the same things over and over again. I've never been able to do either for more than a few days in a row, if that, and have had to move on to something else for a few weeks before I can go back to it. In other words, these skills suck to train. I'd rather do just about anything than train either of these skills more than a little at a time.

D

D'Amavir

Back in the old days, when I started my first mage, or first warrior or whatever, I would have chosen the 'train as I play' option. But once you learn a mage, it loses its fun factor and you want tojust get that part over with and get into the real game. Which to me is the rp plotlines and activities that go on. That means getting the character to whatever level they should be at as quickly as possible so that your 'end game' can begin, whatever that end game is to you.

Now, a little deeper than just 'how do you develop your characters' skillwise, my development of a character starts long before I have any skills at all. I start by coming up with an attitude for the character. How he talks,how he acts, etc...

Then I come up with a background for that character. How he got to where he is in the world. What/Who he likes or dislikes. What is 'role' is going to be.

Then, I pick out what skill sets make sense for that character. Which isn't always what's the best template of the day or what skills are weak or strong. At this point, I actually start to create the character in game.

After his attitude, background and skill template concept is done, its time for the most important part, What does he look like? What does he wear? From there, its just a matter of finishing the in game creation, getting his outfit together and training the skills.

The end result is a character that actually means something to me. If I don't want to write about my character, I probably won't have him for too long. With three active accounts (out of 9 that I still own) I have characters that don't see a lot of activity in game. But they still figure prominently in written stories and plots that I create.

Also, I an open to the possibility that how I created my character may not be how that character stays. An example of that is my original warrior character. He started out being a swords/shield fighter. He moved around between swords, fencing and macing depending on what I was in the mood for. However, a long running plotline for my House had a part of it where he was attacked by someone that was out to destroy my family. That attack left him without the use of one of his arms for the most part. As such, his weapon/shield days were no more and he dug into the books and learned magery. To this day, he can hardly move that arm and it shows as being atrophied on his profile so that anyone looking at him will notice that fact.

Now, all of that falls outside of what you initially posed as a question in the poll. But, it is part of how I 'develop' my characters. As I see them as being much more than just skill holders but as individual characters with their own personalities and behaviors.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually get all my skills to a reliable amount before heading out. Each skill is different. For example at 65 chiv you can use the skill as you play but something like healing has to be around 85 or 90 before it can be used well in combat. Other skills like swords should be GM+ before you start fighting anything serious.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not vote as none of the above actually fits my style. I powergame or train up to 80-90 ... that is a level where I can then go about my regular activities and get the rest of my gains thru normal game-play.

Z

Zoran

I believe in the method-actor approach....

I try to determine first- what is this charactors motivation? What is their dirve?? Does this guy have the sheer determination of will it takes to cast spell after exhausting spell all day? Does he lack the patience and willpower to wait to venture out into that vast unknown world?
Or am I really just bored an wanna go kill stuff?

Thsi is actually one of the points where I dramatically envy those who use their cheat programs.. I guess im too chicken to do it myself, but I admit building up a charactor is one of the dullest parts of the game.

As to the way- I agree with what was said about the type of charactor determining the best route to building his skills.

I will say this though- I use to play pre-trammel back in the day and only returned to game within the year. The new skill point raise system is WONDERFUL. Grandmasters, Lords, and Ladies were a rare find the first couple years in UO. Im still learing all the tricks to getting point rasises, but kudos to UO for allowing raises to happen...
~Zoran

M

Mitzlplik_SP

I picked #3.
I don`t relish the n00bie content so I`m always ina hurry to get them to a sueful level.DOn`t hafta be 7x by no means,just high enough to take on the munsta`s I wanna play with.Just worked a bard to 103 provo legendary music and 101 peacemaking.ALthough hes far from done,with a couple items I was in playing with the DF`s in doom.

I find once I get them to useable levels it planes out to not be such a high priority,they tend to raise skills as I play.I`ve got lots of almost done toons,lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Guess it largely depends on what I'm "Training" anymore I buy skill high as I can.... Powertrain in NewHaven.... then get bored.... work the skill on occasion... (extreme occasion)... then get tired of waiting for gains... move on to GGS logging the char in once in a great while getting my .1 gain for the day and move on.

C

Connor_Graham

Im still learing all the tricks to getting point rasises, but kudos to UO for allowing raises to happen...
~Zoran
If you need any advice or suggestions on training any of your characters, feel free to send me a PM. I'm always more than happy to help out, and have trained just about every one of the non-dead skills, including all 4 of the warrior skills, all of the caster skills, Taming skills, all of the crafting skills except Alchemy (but it's on the list of things to do) and all of the Bard skills. Just send me a PM.

Z

Zoran

Thanks Conner- You sound like good peeps. Honestly, when I'm having issues now usually my guild is quick to step up and give pointers. I think that having a good guild is one of the best assets a person can have for bulding a char. Heck for arming and equiping him too for that matter!

People like Conner, and the guildmates I have in KOL is largely what I think helps this game stay alive. I've even ran into people in our largest rival guild in shard who are more than willing to give pointers and direction in a non-condecending manner to help out new or returning players.

Thats why UO is still afloat, and thanks again!!
~Zoran

C

Connor_Graham

You're very welcome, and the offer stands if you can't find the answer from your guild. I don't recognize KOL so you must not be on Pacific.