• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How do i stop WiFi users in my apartment?

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any advice?Or step by step tutorial or even does it matter i was on the impression their stealing my speed...any truth?

S

Sturdy

To much speed makes you paranoid.

(Use data encryption on your router and set a strong password)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wi-fi requires a Wi-fi capable router.

Does the cable modem have a built-in wi-fi router? If not, there's no way that anyone could be stealing your non-existant wi-fi bandwidth.

If it does have a built-in wi-fi router, look up the modem/router combo on the internet by its model number, and find out how to set up encryption on it.

Do note that having multiple cable internet users sharing the same trunk line (say, in other apartments in your complex) can slow down your internet connection a little, if nearly everyone's on at the same time (especially if a lot of them are uploading/downloading).

B

Beer_Cayse

I don't have wifi, but I a hardwired TimeWarner network. Trust me, spend $30 or so for a 4-port wifi-capable router! Then secure the stuff with strong encryption ... and change the #@$%#$#$% default password for the router admin account. <chuckle>

TW modems are not capable of supporting the security wifi should have. Plus they need to be able to acces the device for firmware upgrades, troubleshooting problems, etc. Get a router.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
First, determine the make/model of your modem. Second, google "default username password [your modem type]". Most likely, your username and password is some combination of "admin" and/or "password."

Third, open your start menu, then navigate to all programs > accessories > command prompt. Fourth, within command prompt, type "ipconfig" and press return. Look at the results to determine your default gateway IP address.

Fifth, open a web browser and navigate to the IP address of your default gateway. Sixth, enter the default username/password of your modem. You are now accessing your modem settings.

Once you gain access to your modem, change your default username/password and add encryption to your wireless (preferably WPA-2 encryption). Once you have encrypted your wireless and changed your default username/password, no one should be able to access your wireless unless you give them the WPA-2 password.

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fifth, open a web browser and navigate to the IP address of your default gateway.

Whats that mean?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Fifth, open a web browser and navigate to the IP address of your default gateway.

Whats that mean?
When you run "ipconfig" in the command prompt, it will list several IP addresses, including one called your "default gateway." For example, AT&T customers have the default gateway "192.168.0.1."

Once you have identified your default gateway, open a web browser (e.g., internet explorer, firefox, etc.) and type the default gateway into the address bar. In other words, instead of typing in a website domain (e.g., uo.stratics.com), you are typing in an IP address (e.g., 192.168.0.1).

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at xx.xxx.xxx.x

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I x'ed out the numbers but this is what i get when i try to do it...i didnt type www. or .com just the numbers...

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Excellent. That's a relief, I'm sure.