How do I make my house private while having vendors? Please reply

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
S

solina2

Hello,

I am having a problem in one of our houses. I placed some vendors (in the second floor) and the house became "public", I wanted to change the security (containers, etc) to "guild members" when I did that some of the characters (we have two accounts) are not able to access any of the containers that are set to guild members. Could any one here please tell me what I am doing wrong, how do I solve this problem?

Another reason to keep the house private is that we have some orcs near the house and they come in as if they live in the house. I have some characters that have not fighting skills, I do not want orcs coming in the house. I found one eating off from one of my plants! (jk)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

F

feath

couple of ways to fix it... make the other account 'co owners'. they can get into all the chests/containers.

you can also put the vendors on the ground floor, and build the house behind them. make the front house doors set to 'friends', and make sure your other account is friended.

i'm not sure if 'guilded' is higher or lower than 'friends', but i think lower? so this would work.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 19, 2003
Catskills
A private home can't have vendors. In order to have vendors the house must be public.

As for your guild chests. I have never used this level of security personally, but I would assume that it makes the chests accessible ONLY to guild members. Meaning that only the person who placed the container and members of his/her guild will be able access the chest. Just my thought on it.

For the orc problem I would suggest either changing the security on your doors to owners/co-owners/friends only. I was under the impression that monsters couldn't enter a public house. My vendor house has no doors at all on the first floor, and an orc camp spawns about a screen or so away. They wander down from time to time, but they always stand just at the foot of the front steps, never entering the house. (Maybe they just know better?)

Hope I was of some help to you.

S

solina2

couple of ways to fix it... make the other account 'co owners'. they can get into all the chests/containers.

Will this affect the other character's acct? (we have two accounts, in each account we have a house).

you can also put the vendors on the ground floor, and build the house behind them. make the front house doors set to 'friends', and make sure your other account is friended.

I thought to bring them down. Will try it.

i'm not sure if 'guilded' is higher or lower than 'friends', but i think lower? so this would work.
Thanks for your reply.

S

solina2

A private home can't have vendors. In order to have vendors the house must be public.

As for your guild chests. I have never used this level of security personally, but I would assume that it makes the chests accessible ONLY to guild members. Meaning that only the person who placed the container and members of his/her guild will be able access the chest. Just my thought on it.

All the characters in both accounts are in the guild, that is why I thought there will be not problem to change it to 'guild members'

For the orc problem I would suggest either changing the security on your doors to owners/co-owners/friends only. I was under the impression that monsters couldn't enter a public house. My vendor house has no doors at all on the first floor, and an orc camp spawns about a screen or so away. They wander down from time to time, but they always stand just at the foot of the front steps, never entering the house. (Maybe they just know better?)

They are afraid of you because you will :flame: them

Hope I was of some help to you.
You have helped, thanks!

Y

Yalp

Only guild members above ronin can access the chests as well.. even when they are set to guild members..

D

Devil_Woman

If monsters are outside the house and target you while inside, the (fairly) new aggressor code will keep them off the property. If they spawn with no one home they can freely walk onto the plot so long as they have not targetted anyone. If doors are set to "anyone" many of them can also open the doors and walk into the house itself.

What we did with our vendor house was to limit the space from which you can walk into the house to about 3 tiles and then place vendors at the steps to enter the house. NPCs cannot walk through other NPCs so none of the spawn can enter the house, but players can go right through them. This setup would be a bit more problematic in Felucca but would still work so long as you are at full stamina when you try to walk through them.

T

The Home Guild

what i'd do is make a teleport tile and access it to guildy's only and have it goto second floor.this way if you set door access to guildy's once thye open it anyone can follow behind and defeats the purpse of private.

So custom your home[if all vendors are yours]

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Jul 16, 2003
Southeastern Kentucky
home.kih.net
I've also encountered issues in the past where even house owner characters in a different guild could not access a "guild" access container in their own house.

Also, when I tried placing some guild access containers, they were only accessible by the guild of the HOUSE PLACER, not the guild of the character that placed the container and set the security.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 13, 2003
STEALTHING .... behind U

Make public - place ya vendors and lock ya doors to owner or co-owner and u are sorted!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Another thing about the orcs... this is an old fel habit that works ALWAYS log out hidden.... you don't need any hiding to hide in your own house you will always hide at 100%... As well you can always detect hidden on your house at 100%... And yes some monsters can wander about in your house freely while your not aware... I typically have a "I Ban Thee" macro on all my characters as well as logging them out hidden.... I live near the Brit swamp so it's rather important at times.

I believe the changes to housing recently made it so they won't enter when they agro on you but things like Orc's and Liches open doors whenever they get near one...

please click the hatchling/dragon and help it to grow. Bel'la Dos (Thank you)

S

solina2

Another thing about the orcs... this is an old fel habit that works ALWAYS log out hidden.... you don't need any hiding to hide in your own house you will always hide at 100%... As well you can always detect hidden on your house at 100%... And yes some monsters can wander about in your house freely while your not aware... I typically have a "I Ban Thee" macro on all my characters as well as logging them out hidden.... I live near the Brit swamp so it's rather important at times.

I believe the changes to housing recently made it so they won't enter when they agro on you but things like Orc's and Liches open doors whenever they get near one...

please click the hatchling/dragon and help it to grow. Bel'la Dos (Thank you)
Yes I learned to do that now, always log out hiding. The ice snakes they will follow the character right through the first floor when they recall to the house.

Thanks all for your replies.

A

Aboo

. . .Another reason to keep the house private is that we have some orcs near the house and they come in as if they live in the house. I have some characters that have not fighting skills, I do not want orcs coming in the house. I found one eating off from one of my plants!. . .
Orc problem kinda like this?

Attachments

F

feath

Will this affect the other character's acct? (we have two accounts, in each account we have a house).

No, it wont affect it at all.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
There are a couple of exploits that people can use to move up or down through the floor of a house where their character has access rights of "friend" or better. As a result, you need to be very careful with your house design if all of the following apply:
  • you want to limit access to a certain room or area of your house by using teleporter or door security settings such as guild member, co-owner, or owner;
  • for some reason (e.g., the characters on the house owner account are in multiple guilds) you plan to set the security settings on the containers in that room to a low-level setting such as "friends" or "anyone"; AND
  • you have people on the "friends" list of your house who aren't guild members or co-owners and you don't want them to be able to access the containers in the restricted room.

If you find yourself faced with this situation, I would suggest placing the restricted access room on the bottom floor and don't build on the floor above it. If that is not an option, seriously consider dropping people off your house security list as friends if you don't completely trust them with access to any and all chests that are set to "friends" or "anyone." Also, I believe security settings on doors and teleporters may reset themselves to "anyone" when you customize or when you change the house foundation style, so check those settings frequently if you intend to rely on them to keep people out of parts of your house.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 3, 2004
Top of the Mountain
www.angelfire.com
Hello,

I am having a problem in one of our houses. I placed some vendors (in the second floor) and the house became "public", I wanted to change the security (containers, etc) to "guild members" when I did that some of the characters (we have two accounts) are not able to access any of the containers that are set to guild members. Could any one here please tell me what I am doing wrong, how do I solve this problem?

Another reason to keep the house private is that we have some orcs near the house and they come in as if they live in the house. I have some characters that have not fighting skills, I do not want orcs coming in the house. I found one eating off from one of my plants! (jk)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Guys, please make UO set to RIDICULOUSLY EASY MODE... that's the only way to properly title the direction we're currently heading.

Like... can every character start with 100billion UO gold, fully developed chars and every item in the game with a bag full of bless deeds?

Sounds fair... and I think it should happen because I have characters without fighting skills.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
I am not sure if this was addressed in a previous post. but if you are not the guild master of your guild and you set you doors or boxes to guild member you will not be able to access any doors or boxes yourself. This is not really a problem because as the owner of the house you can reset all boxes to the desired setting. Being a in a guild does not allow you to set your stuff to be useable by other guild members.

A

Arch Magus

Guys, please make UO set to RIDICULOUSLY EASY MODE... that's the only way to properly title the direction we're currently heading.

Like... can every character start with 100billion UO gold, fully developed chars and every item in the game with a bag full of bless deeds?

Sounds fair... and I think it should happen because I have characters without fighting skills.
Example #1 of how to be a complete ***hole ! :coco:

What? Did somebody just get killed by someone's Greater Dragon on Siege recently? lol

Seriously though, your comment was just uncalled for...:sad4:

S

solina2

I am not sure if this was addressed in a previous post. but if you are not the guild master of your guild and you set you doors or boxes to guild member you will not be able to access any doors or boxes yourself. This is not really a problem because as the owner of the house you can reset all boxes to the desired setting. Being a in a guild does not allow you to set your stuff to be useable by other guild members.
Orc problem kinda like this?
LOL, that is funny, but not we do not have that many orcs, phew!!

S

solina2

No, it wont affect it at all.
It was my understanding that it will affect the characters that are in our second account and owned houses. We also play in another shard and have a house there.