• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How can we get the TPTB to listen to us regarding Greifers?

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By TPTB I mean "the powers that be" aka the Devs, EA, Mythic, Bioware or whom ever has the power to deal with it. This just didn't start today or yesterday. It didn't start last week, last month or last year. It has been around as long as UO has been around. I opened my main account June of 2002 within my first month of playing UO I had a taste of greifers. Then as now TPTB did ABSOLUTLY nothing about them.

As far as I'm concerned these "greifers" are nothing but bullies, period. They should be handled as bullies. However EA neither has GMs enough nor the inclination to deal with them. I have been reading and apparently many states have passed "Cyber-Bully" laws. So far the cases I have read about didn't involve an MMO. They involved chat rooms, MySpace, Face book, Twitter and social networking types stuff. Eventually we'll see a case involving a MMO, its only a matter of time. I can't help but wonder what will be the catalyst; another suicide of a teenage? Perhaps an incident like the one in South Korea where one player of a MMO hunted down another and killed him over a in game item.

I think it is time we in the gaming community should step up and be proactive before something tragic does occur. Its time we all say a unified ENOUGH! Let's start by cleaning our own house (UO). I really do not know how to go about convincing EA to step up and do the right thing.

Yes, we could try the legal route, but there are allot of difficulties in this course of action. The first and most obvious problem is that we are spread all over the U.S. and the World. I would guess that since EA is headquartered out of the U.S. it would most likely be tried here in a Federal Court setting. Then next obstacle is that we would be setting a new legal precedent. That is we would be the first case of its kind. That alone will make it long, tedious, and expensive. I do NOT think the legal system is neither a wise or good choice for our problem. I see it as the most drastic of last resorts, and not an idea we should be entertaining at this juncture.

I think perhaps having a chosen group of players meet with the Development Team, the Customer Support, and whom ever else EA deemed was necessary for such a meeting to take place would be a excellent course of action. How we would choose such a group I do not know. I really believe this can be achieved if we all try to work together.

The one thing I am certain of is that the griefing needs to end.

Many of you will ask the same question you always ask: "Are you going to quite?" My answer is a firm NO. I will give NO ONE the satisfaction of me quitting! If I NEVER log into Ultima Online again I will continue to pay for my accounts until Ultima Online is no more. As long as my castle, keep and 4 houses stand I am give everyone who would like to see me quit the virtual equivalent of the "middle finger"! I stand firm. I am going no where so get used to it I am here until they close the door.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone is harassing you just kill them, or if you can't do so yourself call in help from your guild...or make friends with a few reds.

C

canary

I just... ugh. You know, while I loathe griefers, it just isn't going to happen that they are going to 'clear house' in such a manner.

The internet is full of people who grief. That's just the nature of the beast.

It would be nice, in theory... but so are things like communism and disco.

edit: I can't help but notice by your posting history that you seem to invariably set yourself up to be griefed by others. Have you honestly ever asked yourself why this is? I've played for 11 years now and have not had a fraction of the issues you seem to endure. Just think about it.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Fayled while your contribution is appreciated, I feel that those reviews are taken very lightly. Its much easier to take someone seriously when they are looking you eye to eye. Again I do appreciate your contribution, you heart is in the right place. Thank you.
http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/235845-video-update.html
We are planning a Video House of Commons for next Tuesday, March 1st to field any questions about the coming months, Magincia as a player-driven town, Spring Cleaning, faster/simpler story arcs, arenas, UOgamecode store, shard hardware, and other topics of note.

The reason I did not want to put this in writing is because it doesn't allow you to "see" how we feel about the game, and this answer is only part of what we want to do with Ultima Online.
Ya ONLY get one eye ...

and its QUIET what some be wondering WHEN you gonna be ...
(you are not QUITE there yet ...)
QUIT has already been established ... since you paying ...
work on the quiet ...

time management thang ... :danceb:

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone is harassing you just kill them, or if you can't do so yourself call in help from your guild...or make friends with a few reds.
That is a effective solution in Felucca (or the Seige Perilous Shard), but what do you do when the greifing is in Trammel/Ilishnear/Malas/Ter Mur? Legends Jhelom Pits Event was in Trammel and yet a guild found a way to disrupted the event. A perrenial favorite of trammel rule set greifs is luring. The obvious answer is kill the lured monster. That isn't always the anwser like with the blackrock golems for example. You really can't solo those or at least my friends and I have trouble soloing them. You are on the right track and your heart is clearly in the right place. Thank you so much for your support.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rants and Spiels much?
AGREED.... I got about 1 paragraph into your post before I had to roll my eyes & could no longer continue. If your not mature enough to Deal with an online game then you shouldn't be playing. You need to realize that within the MECHANICS of the game... notice I said mechanics NOT RULES... that certain things are / are not possible. It's as simple as that. Since you don't have the power to enforce your wishes do what you can actually do & realize that's all you can do.

Anyway.. there's 1 minute of my life I can't get back *sighs*

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the OP: What are you talking about? someone "stealing your spawn"?

Someone camping out near your house and terrorizing you personally day in - day out?

Someone killing you while you are soloing a spawn?

Someone invissing you over and over to bother you?

I mean, seriously....

Some of the things are considered harrasment, other stuff can be annoying. As far as I know though, there is no way to track you once you recall away. Just go somewhere else.

Without the specifics of what about you got your panties tied in a knot, I don't think anyone should or could simply agree with you. Personally, I have not had any of the problems you are suggesting in your OP, ever. Now, have I been annoyed with righteous people dragging Lurg down thinking that I was scripting for cash, while I was actually been playing the game for cash, sure. And have been a "victim" of a wide variety of associated behaviors However, whenever I run into a situation where I notice myself get irritated with the behavior of another player, I just recall away and find something better to do.

I think you are bringing up kill stealing with WoD again, and if you are, you are mistaking griefing with simple clumsy game mechanics that allow for cheap looting rights, for a personal attack on your game playing style... Now, if you are referring to stuff that happens in Fel, well, get with the program and kill em back...

Not a 100% what you are so mad about, but please enlighten us.

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a effective solution in Felucca (or the Seige Perilous Shard), but what do you do when the greifing is in Trammel/Ilishnear/Malas/Ter Mur? Legends Jhelom Pits Event was in Trammel and yet a guild found a way to disrupted the event. A perrenial favorite of trammel rule set greifs is luring. The obvious answer is kill the lured monster. That isn't always the anwser like with the blackrock golems for example. You really can't solo those or at least my friends and I have trouble soloing them. You are on the right track and your heart is clearly in the right place. Thank you so much for your support.

LOL, ROFL, you are just silly. I knew it! you were whining about kill stealing the blackrock golems. again. get some friends and get over it. If it bothers you so much that someone gets a kill shot in, go hunt something else. There are so many other things to do in UO.

Your event got raided in Trammel? MUHAHAHAH, that is just sad. someone dragged a dragon in? Now, quite frankly, the fact that someone can herd a whole group of Mobs into an event like that is actually the reason I still play UO. It is so ingenious. No other game would even begin to allow something like that. Big in Roleplaying? Start fricking role playing and deal with it!

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the OP: What are you talking about? someone "stealing your spawn"?

Someone camping out near your house and terrorizing you personally day in - day out?

Someone killing you while you are soloing a spawn?

Someone invissing you over and over to bother you?

Not a 100% what you are so mad about, but please enlighten us.
I am talking about greifing in an over all sense. No one has bugged me. Not mad about anything. Have you not read the threads about the Dawn's Funeral Events. Stuff that effects all of us.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Can't say I'm a fan of griefing, either. In trammel, all I can really do is keep them out of our guild. If it's not a direct ToS violation, there's really nothing else you can do but accept that some folks are happiest when making others unhappy. And the game goes on.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone is bothering you, just walk away. It's the internet, get over it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ignore feature works well. Just wish it could hold more on the list.

S

Sevin0oo0

didn't they say they would start banning griefers at events? sounds like a great start to me

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ban the bank sitters for wasting valuable resources while doing nothing.

L

longshanks

i always find a few well placed F bombs coupled with some racist slurs gets attention in a very prompt fashion. If that doesnt work, off color comments about the dev's mothers is sure to get results.

let me know how that goes for you.

out.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i always find a few well placed F bombs coupled with some racist slurs gets attention in a very prompt fashion. If that doesnt work, off color comments about the dev's mothers is sure to get results.

let me know how that goes for you.

out.
That might not be exactly the sort of attention that's being aimed for

F

Flora Green

If someone is bothering you, just walk away. It's the internet, get over it.
It's Jirel. And nothing personal towards her, of course, but I haven't played UO in over a year or read the boards in months. She was complaining then about the same issue and apparently still is. Maybe it's just time for you to finally move on, Jirel.