• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hops! Can brewing be far behind?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
This is something I have wanted for years! If this is a possibility, I may actually log in and rework my pub! I don't want to get ahead of myself, but...
*hopes*

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be awesome!

But what do you think? Roll it into Cooking or create a new skill?

Legendary Brewmaster sounds pretty cool to me!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be too limited to be a skill on its own. My best guess is that in the same way the the Ilshenar gargoyles sold our carpenters books to learn to craft stone, alchemists, glass and for miners to learn how to dig stone and sand, the gargoyles of the abyss will sell our cooks books to learn to brew beer.

Though actually I hope, if we're going to brew beer, that we don't have to wait for SA to do it, that's a minimum of 12 months away if I've understood correctly.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You really should never think how "far behind" something can be. In case you forget, they made the colored Pigments of Tokuno limited charges because they were thinking of adding a permanent way to get them "soon". How many years ago was that now?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You really should never think how "far behind" something can be. In case you forget, they made the colored Pigments of Tokuno limited charges because they were thinking of adding a permanent way to get them "soon". How many years ago was that now?
*cries* Don't rain on me!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something I have wanted for years! If this is a possibility, I may actually log in and rework my pub! I don't want to get ahead of myself, but...
*hopes*
Wine too please. We've got grapes, just give me some yeast and I'll be all set.

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be too limited to be a skill on its own. My best guess is that in the same way the the Ilshenar gargoyles sold our carpenters books to learn to craft stone, alchemists, glass and for miners to learn how to dig stone and sand, the gargoyles of the abyss will sell our cooks books to learn to brew beer.

Though actually I hope, if we're going to brew beer, that we don't have to wait for SA to do it, that's a minimum of 12 months away if I've understood correctly.
A copper kettle, yeast, malt, grains, pitchers of water, tripod stand for kettle,
make a camp fire or other fire source, and brown bottles on list of ingredients.
Skills Tinker, Cooking, Camping, etc.; just probably what you need.

Product: bottle of beer.

Should be keggable.

In game use... gets Orcs drunk and lowers their Stats.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

S

Sarphus

About the comment about making wine... that could be really cool. Players could grow specific kinds of grapes like Riesling, Cardonnay, Zinfadel, etc. Then the grapes could be harvested and made into wine.

The best part is that we already have grapes art, so really the devs would just need to build some kind of a lookup table to have all the types of grapes that they want to add to the system.

So, a winemaking system could be a combination of brewing and gardening. Players could get various grape seeds to grow a vineyard of the kinds of grapes they want. Then they could brew the grapes into wine (not sure if brew is the right term).

I did a quick google search and found this site about wine grapes
http://www.cellarnotes.net/key_grape_varieties.html

It seems like a system as such could be built fairly easily from existing systems.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*hopes*
You know they could really hit a home run with a total cooking skill revamp. Just think of the possibilities of eating food for stat bonus' or other enhancements of any single or combination of current item properties. Set the food timer to 30 min and drink ale to mod INTand STR +5, MR +2, DEX -5 for that 30 min. Even a bit higher boosts for exceptional.

Different foods have different (or no) effects on each race. The possibilities are vast for all of the different types of food and drink that can be produced. Skills, resists, all other item properties. Foods that only work with sertain types of armor or weapons. Enhanced food by using potions or fish in place of certain ingredients. You could build an impressive and challenging system that would keep folks discovering for a long long time. Imagine how popular taverns would become then!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget - we'll need a means of converting the currently decorative sugar cane (one of the new plants), into sugar.

Let's see - cooking and alchemy could do...
cocoa, vanilla & sugar = chocolate (currently doable, just half the ingredients are still just waiting to be turned from deco to resource).
honey, yeast and some flavoring ingredients = mead
grain, hops, malt, yeast = beer.
grain, sugar, & yeast = whisky (including the firebomb types).
Wine, plus distillment = Brandy
Sugar cane & yeast = rum

A

Alrich

Would be interesting to see if you would have to wait for fermentation or have instantly alchoholized beer!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, a winemaking system could be a combination of brewing and gardening. Players could get various grape seeds to grow a vineyard of the kinds of grapes they want. Then they could brew the grapes into wine (not sure if brew is the right term).
Brewing and wine making are different in a lot of little ways, but still very similiar. (I'm a home wine maker myself.) I think brewing and wine making would make an awesome addition to one of my favorite underrated skills (cooking).

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see it be part of cooking since it fits well with cooking and cooking is one of the less beloved craft skills. It is one of those things we've wanted for years, and this is a possible sign that we might get it. Every roleplay tavern will love to have its own local brew or wine.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Second!!

Mama would be great for brewing beer, Mama's own personal label!!

Cooking and alchemy maybe together?

Wine, beer!! We needs alcoholic beverages with labels for parties!!

Oriana

K

Kyrie_Elaison

I would love to have grapevines growing in my garden.

I already have barrels in my tavern. I gave them special labels using a wooden container engraving tool.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree brewing ales, wine, cider would be awesome!.... I'd love to do that... especially if you could put it into kegs... Growing Grapes, hops, wheat would all be cool... maybe lumberjacks could get special yeast or something for fermenting....

Milk could then become cheese...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooo, I want to make my own brewery! Would be awesome, though. I hope it's not too far behind either. And by not too far behind, I mean within 6 months, at most, lol.

But hey, when that comes in, I want to make beer battered fish!

...mmm, I'm hungry now.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would be interesting to see if you would have to wait for fermentation or have instantly alchoholized beer!
I think it would be more realistic if there was a tending cycle, like with plants now. But I can't think at the moment what this would entail - hopefully not pouring potions on the cask or on a cheese wheel. I don't know too much about winemaking - I think the "tending" involves tasting, filtering, checking temperatures, maybe blending?

What about apples fermented into hard cider, and pears into Perry? And if they add a vanilla orchid, we could distill our own vanilla extract using vanilla pods and alcohol.

I would love love love to be able to brew my own drinks. What about using glassblowing to create the different bottles/tools (still, etc), and being able to add your own label to the bottles?

E

Evilminion

Well, you know I love this idea. :D :D

How are we going to get yeast, do you suppose? Leave open barrels of mash in our houses until a natural layer forms, then cultivate it? Ooooo, we could trade yeasts for various regions! Perhaps the Zento area would have a perfect mead yeast (since we can get honey from our beehives now, I wanna make mead), and Luna grows a yeast suitable for ales...

Devs, please bring on the game-booze! :love:

C

Corrupted Goblin

Im down to add this into cooking while requiring the other skills (making kegs etc)

K

Kyrie_Elaison

If we had a skill that created just beverages they could make,

Cider - an alcoholic beverage made from fermenting fruit, mainly apples, but can also be pears, etc.
Ale - a type of beer brewed from barley, hops, and yeast
Beer - made from malted barley (sometimes wheat, corn, or rice), hops, yeast
Wines - I think we all know :D
Hydromel - a type of mead made from honey and water, boiled and then skimmed, cooled, yeast added, then fermented for 5-6 weeks (can also be flavoured with cinnamon, cardamom, ginger or other spices)
Mead - made from honey, water, and yeast
Ipocrase - a wine sweetened and highly spiced with ginger, cinnamon, sugur, and turesoll
Brandy and other liquors

With the different kinds of ales, beers, wines, and liquors you could probably make a completely new skill, and we could call it the "Monk." How would you like that title on your paper doll?

I'm sure we could break down the different drinks and have items like Elvish Mead, Gargoyle Ipocrase, different sorts of wines, etc.

Add in some items like a fruit press, vat, possibly a still (all craftables) and I'm sure we could find more craftable items. I think we are on to something here.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Any hand crafted beverage has the chance to be a masterful brew or it could be vile. I think it should be tied to existing skills. Recipes and ingredients, mystical and mundane could be difficult and or complex to acquire. I would hope that many would be attainable by Crafters, though some might have to purchased or procured by hired agents.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any hand crafted beverage has the chance to be a masterful brew or it could be vile. I think it should be tied to existing skills. Recipes and ingredients, mystical and mundane could be difficult and or complex to acquire. I would hope that many would be attainable by Crafters, though some might have to purchased or procured by hired agents.
It could give a nice use for taste ID.... gosh is that still a skill?

U

ultima online

Well, you know I love this idea. :D :D

How are we going to get yeast, do you suppose? Leave open barrels of mash in our houses until a natural layer forms, then cultivate it? Ooooo, we could trade yeasts for various regions! Perhaps the Zento area would have a perfect mead yeast (since we can get honey from our beehives now, I wanna make mead), and Luna grows a yeast suitable for ales...

Devs, please bring on the game-booze! :love:

naa you have to harvest the yeast from other players underwear since its never been changed, must be teething with all sorts of mould and bacteria :p
maybe even thieves are the only ones that can get it by stealing the persons pants! mass pantie raids!!!

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be great along with being able to label your liquor. And make it stackable? or have the ability to put it in a keg!

And the labels should have 100 characters so I could write

Property of "The Staggering Mongbat Ale Hole" if found please return to 23o33'n 6o35'w Felucca

A

Amathist of PoC

I thought the same thing when I saw the hops plant and then the sugar cane....so who knows it might be in the works as a cooking add on maybe.

F

Flora Green

I so hope they add brewing. And has anyone said yet why we now have the ability to milk cows?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I so hope they add brewing. And has anyone said yet why we now have the ability to milk cows?

Flora, it would capture my interest so much more than plants or bods...

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The below quote is from a post that I made back on 2-27-08 and I still think it would be a welcome addition to the game. Tell me what you all think.

Imagine it....after a long day hunting swoops and your throat is as dry as the Umbra desert. Where to go for a refreshing stout? Come to "Lebruns Ole Towne Tavern-Home of the Frostwood Stout!

Skills that could be given something to assist in the making of ale. Lumberjacking,leatherworking,glassblowing,tinkering,chef,plant-growing(alchemy),Taste ID.

Lumberjacking:Farm the specific wood for the vats to make different type brewing vats.

leatherworking: Make the skins that will hold some types of ale/mead.

Glassblowing/Tinkering: Make the barrels specificly for crafted brew to be held for a certain time.

Chef/Brewer: Either add the brewing skill into the chef skill or create a new skill.

Alchemist/plant-grower Whats a stout without the barley/hops/sugar that goes in it? Make Hops,Barley,Sugar(for Rum) a growable resource.

Taste ID Ahh yes....can't give out half-fermented stouts to the public now can we?? We need skilled tasters to let us know when it is ready for public consumption!

Each harvested wood would give the crafted stout a different 'flavor'. Example-A brewing vat made from frostwood would give the drinker +3 to frost resistance for 10 minutes. Not too much of an advantage so the PvP'ers wont scream 'nerf' at the idea. Also make it where the vats and barrels wear out over time...nothing should last forever...we already have too much of that in the game. This way each skill in the string is always in demand. You can't just drop down a vat for each wood and not have to worry about it again.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think just adding brewing as a side skill for cooking is good enough. Such as glassblowing is to alchemy.
Brewing as a separate skill would be kind of a waste of skill points

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think just adding brewing as a side skill for cooking is good enough. Such as glassblowing is to alchemy.
I wouldn't think of brewing as a waste of skill points. Either way I would like to see the ability to brew even if it is a side skill
to cooking. As long as we get it

A

Amathist of PoC

most likely thing I can think of is chocolate making. BUT I thought it was cool enough my chef now has a pet cow...she likes to do things the natural way.

T

trammelite

for me, being native german, brewing MUST be part of alchemy.

i mean, over here everyone knows, that beer is pure medicine and has been a life saver of legions. so those who can brew potions should be able to make other berverages.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know too much about winemaking - I think the "tending" involves tasting, filtering, checking temperatures, maybe blending?
Winemaking is a RL hobby of mine, and I would love to see it in UO. Wine does require a little 'tending' but not in a way that requires it to be done every day. Usually every few weeks during the fermenting process over a period of a few months. Personally, I would like to see a system like plant growing used. Tending it every day or so to get to the finished product quicker. I hope one of the dev's have taken a peek at this thread, and take the idea and run with it.

I don't know about you, but I'd live to have a character with the title of Grandmaster Brewer. I'd go so far as to dedicate an entire character to all the skills necessary to make wine & beer.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I don't know about you, but I'd live to have a character with the title of Grandmaster Brewer. I'd go so far as to dedicate an entire character to all the skills necessary to make wine & beer.
*nods* I would go so far as to dedicate an account for that title on Siege.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It would be better to just tie it to Alchemy and Cooking....If players want a Brewer title have them take [x] amount of Exceptional wine or Beer to a NPC who grants them the title.....

L

love2winalot

And, as we all know, You fight a hell of a lot better when you are drunk............:)

K

Kyrie_Elaison

I thought the same thing when I saw the hops plant and then the sugar cane....so who knows it might be in the works as a cooking add on maybe.
I'm sure they will have sugar soon from the sugar cane. We need sugar to make chocolates, and the only way to get it now is by killing stuff. So why wouldn't they have sugar cane produce sugar now that they have cocoa trees?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do wish chocolate making was a bit more worthwhile. All that effort for one teensy chocolate that can hardly be seen?

If we can make a tray of cookies, why can't we make a box of chocolates? I'm pretty sure the sushi rolls graphic could be adapted for the purpose, or even the tray of cookies graphic.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I do wish chocolate making was a bit more worthwhile. All that effort for one teensy chocolate that can hardly be seen?

If we can make a tray of cookies, why can't we make a box of chocolates? I'm pretty sure the sushi rolls graphic could be adapted for the purpose, or even the tray of cookies graphic.
*grumbles* This is about the beer, woman... *winks*

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Chocolate stout!

*cries* That would be so awesome. Come on Devs, make an old man happy...

Brewing/distilling/wine making with lots of variations and surprises.