• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Holy Fist now ignores Faster Casting

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I see Holy Fist now ignores Faster Casting on Test Center. This is a huge disaster waiting to happen. Why not just slow down the cast time of Holy Fist if you're going to nerf Holy Fist, instead of this weird adjustment they made?

Now you won't have to worry about Wrestle Parry Fisters, now you have to worry about real mages with full Magery and Eval also casting Holy Fist at 1.5 seconds on top of all that.... all because you don't need 4/6 for Holy Fist to be effective, so they can have over 70 magery.

@Bleak please fix it

Last edited:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys are going down the right path with Holy Fist by slowing it down.. but going about it the wrong way as stated above.

Also, can you fix something that makes no sense.... For Magery to be effective you need to curse someone down to 60 for max damage.. For archery hitting does more based on resist etc. Holy Fist max damage is capped at 35. But it can hit 33 at 70 energy. Can you fix it to where it hits 35 at 60 energy and scale based off of that? That fix would go a long way to getting Holy Fist correct. Along with the slow down. You are half way there..

@Bleak

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they should just lower holy fist damage to a 25 cap. Chivalry was always a utility skill, it shouldn't be a main source of damage on a template. Then they can keep the 4/6 on it. If its going to remain at 35 cap then they should cap it at 2/6 like every other offensive casting ability in the game.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fist damage needs to be nerfed, or close wounds/remove curse needs to be nerfed.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fist damage needs to be nerfed, or close wounds/remove curse needs to be nerfed.
I think both of them need to be nerfed tbh. But, at least if fist based its cap off 60 resist like every other spell in game that would be a start. It actually still would be doing a fair amount to 70 resist (~25). I'd actually vote to scale the damage back a few points AND calculate it correctly.

Currently fist does 33 at 70 energy. An explosion EB with focus spec AND inscribe hits for around that AT 60 fire/energy (not to mention it will do less with next patch with the reduction in SDI for focus). The cast time and the damage makes ZERO sense.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What is with these overly complicated solutions by the Devs? Just increase Holy Fist cast time by .25 seconds. No need to change how it works with Faster Casting. That will only create more problems.

Boba

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, this is on test center only for a reason.
LOL. I would like you to provide just ONE example, at any point in 18 years of UO's history, where they fixed an issue pointed out by players before a publish was pushed to production.
Just one.

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
All this time spent on pvp balancing will have gone to waste if this problem is not addressed. There will be packs of Fisters running around in Protection.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Why?
Why does everything about chivalry have to be nerfed?
Does it matter if you get hit with 5 holy fist or 5 flame strikes?
Chivalry has one offensive spell. That's it.

Boba

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This issue has been resolved. Notes will be updated in the morning.
I gave you guys crap about the game screen in modern day resolutions, and it's been resolved. I give you crap about fixing things while they're still on test, and you actually followed through for once.
Maybe I should keep giving you guys crap nonstop; seems we are a good team.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No one is calling for nerfs to Remove Curse in PvM. We have skills and spells that function drastically different in PvM compared to PvP and Remove Curse would be the same.
How would that work when fighting other players at a champ spawn? If you're asking for different versions of Remove Curse instead of every possible debuff it could remove.

Same with Close Wounds.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
How would that work when fighting other players at a champ spawn? If you're asking for different versions of Remove Curse instead of every possible debuff it could remove.

Same with Close Wounds.
Then you're not talking about PvM. If you're fighting over a champ spawn that isn't PvM, that's PvP. The source of the debuffs is what is relevant to a nerf.
  • If you're weakened by a rat mage and that is your only debuff, you remove curse as usual.
  • If you're weakened by a rat mage and cursed by another player, you remove curse with the nerfed status
  • If you're attacking a rat man and cursed by another player, you remove curse with the nerfed status
I don't know how it would work with close wounds as I'm not asking for a nerf to that, but I imagine if you are "in heat" you should be using the nerfed close wounds regardless of if you're engaging in PvM combat. I'd also be fine with remove curse functioning with the nerfed status if you're in heat as well.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then you're not talking about PvM. If you're fighting over a champ spawn that isn't PvM, that's PvP. The source of the debuffs is what is relevant to a nerf.
  • If you're weakened by a rat mage and that is your only debuff, you remove curse as usual.
  • If you're weakened by a rat mage and cursed by another player, you remove curse with the nerfed status
  • If you're attacking a rat man and cursed by another player, you remove curse with the nerfed status
I don't know how it would work with close wounds as I'm not asking for a nerf to that, but I imagine if you are "in heat" you should be using the nerfed close wounds regardless of if you're engaging in PvM combat. I'd also be fine with remove curse functioning with the nerfed status if you're in heat as well.
Then you're still possibly screwing over PvM in the case of accidental attacks from guildmates. Good job.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Then you're still possibly screwing over PvM in the case of accidental attacks from guildmates. Good job.
Perhaps you should be more careful with who you're flagging. Attacking an ally is pretty difficult in PvM scenarios.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why?
Why does everything about chivalry have to be nerfed?
Does it matter if you get hit with 5 holy fist or 5 flame strikes?
Chivalry has one offensive spell. That's it.
I don't want everything nerfed, just one. Fist casts at 4th circle, but does 7th circle damage. Close wounds casts at 2nd circle, but heals 4th circle damage. One is fine, both isn't. A single skill that gets all of this, whereas a mage requires at least two; allowing for the stacking of even more defensive abilities (wrestle, parry, ninja, alchemy). A template that can effectively dish out damage, but also tow the line of "godmode" is not healthy. Not to mention the rejuvenation that casts at a first circle level, can't be interrupted, and restores all health/mana/stam. Idk, I feel like it's pretty warranted to nerf something about it ^_^

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps you should be more careful with who you're flagging. Attacking an ally is pretty difficult in PvM scenarios.
Not really. A little bit of lag on a heal can do it. And it would flag as "PvP" if someone attacked you, so it's not always something you can control.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Not really. A little bit of lag on a heal can do it. And it would flag as "PvP" if someone attacked you, so it's not always something you can control.
I genuinely don't know what you're talking about. If you're not actually fighting another guild and you or your guildmate make a mistake, yes I think you should be punished for that. If that means two minutes of nerfed chivalry, so be it- be more careful.

de-chande

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Welcome to Ultima fist online. It's all you will see in fel soon. Broken spell that does to much damage to fast teamed with 4/6 healing cure and remove curse. If you have a couple of them you can't fight them. Usually teamed with parry wrestle so dexxers can't hit them. I personally made one on europa when it came out. I could fight (not kill) 1 vs about 6 random templates. I got put on foot, cursed and mortalled. Within a couple of seconds I removed curses and mortal and healed to max. Managed to run right through despise into terra and into star room being constantly attacked. It's a bent template. Team a few of them together with alch and their target insta dies. Needs a fix not a buff

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak you dont know what your doing. i feel like you have been pushed around by people, all these pvp changes are makeing me, as a casual pvper more likely to quit all together rather than log in. yes, there were issues that needed to be addressed but they were very simple fixes. these complicated changes, all of them, were not the right thing to do for the current game. maybe trying to make it easier for people to leave? is the game really being shut down after the 20th? an easier let-down so to speak?

all you had to do was make curse / corpse skin not stack, and adjust parry mage. like maybe require 120 dex instead of 80 for max benefit. fixing pvp was a 10 min fix not this monstrosity that just makes people less likely to play.

Last edited:

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL. I would like you to provide just ONE example, at any point in 18 years of UO's history, where they fixed an issue pointed out by players before a publish was pushed to production.
Just one.
This issue has been resolved. Notes will be updated in the morning.
Do you feel dumb yet?

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
I don't want everything nerfed, just one. Fist casts at 4th circle, but does 7th circle damage. Close wounds casts at 2nd circle, but heals 4th circle damage. One is fine, both isn't. A single skill that gets all of this, whereas a mage requires at least two; allowing for the stacking of even more defensive abilities (wrestle, parry, ninja, alchemy). A template that can effectively dish out damage, but also tow the line of "godmode" is not healthy. Not to mention the rejuvenation that casts at a first circle level, can't be interrupted, and restores all health/mana/stam. Idk, I feel like it's pretty warranted to nerf something about it ^_^
Close wounds is dead in the middle of mini and greater heal, both in cast time and damage healed.
I get interrupted casting close wounds all the time. Plus, as a dexxer, close wounds eats mana for breakfast, unlike a mage who can spam mini heals from now until next Tuesday.
I think trying to compare chivalry to magery is unfair.
If you want to get technical, a mage with 3 skills, magery, eval and anatomy has everything they need to destroy a paladin.
All their heals, all their fire power, their defensive wrestle, debuffs, buffs, cures and heals, both small and greater, teleport, invis, mana drain and vamp, summon help.
With chivalry, you put 120 points to be able to hit cures, remove curse and heals.
If you specialize, you get fist and rejuvenate.
Fist isn't fast to cast, it's mana intense, and is the ONLY ranged offensive spell in the paladins arsenal. Rejuvenate is great, once, then you have to wait forever for the cool down, making it almost useless.
You have to have 90 chivalry and primer III
To be able to use fist effectively. One spell. Not a host of spells, not an entire spell book of 64 spells.
All the examples you have for the paladin apply more aptly to the mage. The pure mage template is far easier to make Godly than a paladin.
I'm not trying to argue with you, I respect your opinion and I welcome balance.
But there seems to be this constant chatter of nerf nerf nerf whenever someone's favorite template isn't the new hottest thing.
Here's how to beat fist and close wounds.
Weaken.
It will interrupt a paladin everytime.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Odd that you say that because holy fist has the same cast time as curse...and it barely moves stats if you have resist.
IF you have resist, which I'm old and have 120.
Curse still knocks my stats down, and reduces my resist to 60s. Allowing a mage to effectively nuke their opponent.
There's only one spell in the entire game that allows you to remove that.
Curse costs 11 mana points.
Remove curse costs 20.
Curse also casts faster than fist.
I'm completely for balance. But what people are arguing for isn't balance, they want advantages.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
Welcome to Ultima fist online. It's all you will see in fel soon. Broken spell that does to much damage to fast teamed with 4/6 healing cure and remove curse. If you have a couple of them you can't fight them. Usually teamed with parry wrestle so dexxers can't hit them. I personally made one on europa when it came out. I could fight (not kill) 1 vs about 6 random templates. I got put on foot, cursed and mortalled. Within a couple of seconds I removed curses and mortal and healed to max. Managed to run right through despise into terra and into star room being constantly attacked. It's a bent template. Team a few of them together with alch and their target insta dies. Needs a fix not a buff
I see mages do this all the time.
Get footed, teleport away like no tomorrow, mini heal 50 times in a row, invis, hop on ethy, heal up and are back in the fight in seconds.
Team any decently hard hitting templates "a few together" and your going to die.
It's called getting ganked. It's been here since UO started.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IF you have resist, which I'm old and have 120.
Curse still knocks my stats down, and reduces my resist to 60s. Allowing a mage to effectively nuke their opponent.
There's only one spell in the entire game that allows you to remove that.
Curse costs 11 mana points.
Remove curse costs 20.
Curse also casts faster than fist.
I'm completely for balance. But what people are arguing for isn't balance, they want advantages.
So would you rather have it that spells do the same damage as they do when cursed at 70 instead and thus not having to curse? Because that is how holy fist works.

You realize that is how it was when they first introduced AOS and the devs realized you couldn't kill anyone, so they let curse lower the resist. Also, cleansing winds also removes curses and so do apples. You should never be cursed for more than 25 seconds at a time with apples. And that is if you are immediately recursed. You don't seem to know what you are talking about or are not good. Sorry not sorry.

Hunter Perilous

Journeyman
So would you rather have it that spells do the same damage as they do when cursed at 70 instead and thus not having to curse? Because that is how holy fist works.

You realize that is how it was when they first introduced AOS and the devs realized you couldn't kill anyone, so they let curse lower the resist. Also, cleansing winds also removes curses and so do apples. You should never be cursed for more than 25 seconds at a time with apples. And that is if you are immediately recursed. You don't seem to know what you are talking about or are not good. Sorry not sorry.
Your funny.
I don't have a problem with curse.
Is it overpowered? Totally.
Are there counters? Yes, and there should be.
Nerfing remove curse isn't about balance. You want to be able to curse your opponent and not let them remove it.
That's not seeking balance. That's seeking an undo advantage.
You seem to think your entitled to have advantages to your opponents that can't be countered.

That's not how holy fist works.
Also, you can resist holy fist, if you have magic resist.
Holy fist is resistable, interruptible, mana intense, and capped at 35hps.
Maybe you should build a toon that can take more than a 35hp hit.
If your a decent mage, and you can't totally destroy your cursed opponent within 25 seconds your not very good.
"Sorry not sorry" whatever.
I'm trying to have a discussion, I'm not trying to insult you personally.
Maybe, if you can't discuss this without personally trying to insult me, you shouldn't respond to my opinion.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your funny.
I don't have a problem with curse.
Is it overpowered? Totally.
Are there counters? Yes, and there should be.
Nerfing remove curse isn't about balance. You want to be able to curse your opponent and not let them remove it.
That's not seeking balance. That's seeking an undo advantage.
You seem to think your entitled to have advantages to your opponents that can't be countered.

That's not how holy fist works.
Also, you can resist holy fist, if you have magic resist.
Holy fist is resistable, interruptible, mana intense, and capped at 35hps.
Maybe you should build a toon that can take more than a 35hp hit.
If your a decent mage, and you can't totally destroy your cursed opponent within 25 seconds your not very good.
"Sorry not sorry" whatever.
I'm trying to have a discussion, I'm not trying to insult you personally.
Maybe, if you can't discuss this without personally trying to insult me, you shouldn't respond to my opinion.
I didn't say take away remove curse- did I? It is unbalanced because of how many curses it removes AND it's cast time at 4/6. You can practically cast it while running. That is not balanced in the least and it seems like you are looking to keep advantages over YOUR opponents. I want there to be balance for once. It should be cast at a 2/6 speed and remove ONE curse at a time. It is not called remove curses last time I checked.

Resistable? What? You can't resist a holy fist. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The only thing resist does vs holy fist is make it so you don't get walked while taking damage. Yes, holy fist is capped at 35 damage. But it hits almost at cap (33) at 70 energy. Now, explosion WITH 30 sdi caps at 34 damage and needs the target to be at 60 to achieve that. It is a slower cast time, and interruptible as well (not sure what your point is). So would you like magery spells to hit near cap at 70 to balance it with fist (even though the slow spell speed would still make it inferior)? I bet not.

Would you like to test your decent mage theory out? I will not remove curse and I will sit on either a 4/6 chiv toon (lol) or on my mage without leaving screen and you can show me how easy it is to kill me? I will give ya 2 minutes of full dump to do so (should be plenty of time because you only need 25 seconds). Again, I am guessing not because you are talking out of your butt and are clueless as to what balance is.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I didn't say take away remove curse- did I? It is unbalanced because of how many curses it removes AND it's cast time at 4/6. You can practically cast it while running. That is not balanced in the least and it seems like you are looking to keep advantages over YOUR opponents. I want there to be balance for once. It should be cast at a 2/6 speed and remove ONE curse at a time. It is not called remove curses last time I checked.

Resistable? What? You can't resist a holy fist. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The only thing resist does vs holy fist is make it so you don't get walked while taking damage. Yes, holy fist is capped at 35 damage. But it hits almost at cap (33) at 70 energy. Now, explosion WITH 30 sdi caps at 34 damage and needs the target to be at 60 to achieve that. It is a slower cast time, and interruptible as well (not sure what your point is). So would you like magery spells to hit near cap at 70 to balance it with fist (even though the slow spell speed would still make it inferior)? I bet not.

Would you like to test your decent mage theory out? I will not remove curse and I will sit on either a 4/6 chiv toon (lol) or on my mage without leaving screen and you can show me how easy it is to kill me? I will give ya 2 minutes of full dump to do so (should be plenty of time because you only need 25 seconds). Again, I am guessing not because you are talking out of your butt and are clueless as to what balance is.
Dude I wouldn't bother. The guy is just deflecting so his template doesn't get nerfed.

I mean, are we really going to listen to the guy who thinks you can "resist holy fist" or thinks curse is overpowered? Nah.

He's playing the flavor of the month and clearly has no idea what to do if it gets nerfed to balance it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks -

Without any doubt, the new publish notes are going to cause some debate and differences in opinion. There is no issue with fleshing out those differences of opinion.

However, PLEASE, I am insisting... do not make it personal.

Simply because someone disagrees with you is no reason to take personal swipes, or make minor put downs, or insult anyone's intentions, credibility, and so on.

Please keep all feed back constructive and on topic.

The RoC, found here: Rules of Conduct | Stratics , is still in effect for all posts.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks -

Without any doubt, the new publish notes are going to cause some debate and differences in opinion. There is no issue with fleshing out those differences of opinion.

However, PLEASE, I am insisting... do not make it personal.

Simply because someone disagrees with you is no reason to take personal swipes, or make minor put downs, or insult anyone's intentions, credibility, and so on.

Please keep all feed back constructive and on topic.

The RoC, found here: Rules of Conduct | Stratics , is still in effect for all posts.
You seem to take offense when someone tells someone else they don't know what they are talking about (even though it is explained how they don't). That is not an insult or a put down. It is a fact and showing people how they are incorrect is how to debate them. We would get literally no where if someone didn't bring up counter points to someone else because you view that somehow as an insult.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You seem to take offense when someone tells someone else they don't know what they are talking about (even though it is explained how they don't). That is not an insult or a put down. It is a fact and showing people how they are incorrect is how to debate them. We would get literally no where if someone didn't bring up counter points to someone else because you view that somehow as an insult.
There is no problem with bringing up counter points. That is encouraged. However, many times people assume their OPINIONS are fact, when they are not.

Per the RoC,
  • Trolling is defined as: To make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
  • Personal attacks are defined as: The making of an abusive remark on or relating to one's person instead of providing evidence when examining another person's claims or comments.
Please keep that in mind.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak and adjust parry mage. like maybe require 120 dex instead of 80 for max benefit.
That's just going to give additional healing speed to some holyfisters & most of the parry-mages that already exist.... Healing gains speed with higher dex, this wouldn't fix the problem, it'll just force people to gain unneeded healing speed from it making the problem worse.

I agree with the rest of your post though, it makes sense.

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Dude I wouldn't bother. The guy is just deflecting so his template doesn't get nerfed.

I mean, are we really going to listen to the guy who thinks you can "resist holy fist" or thinks curse is overpowered? Nah.

But, it CAN be resisted. He is not wrong. This is from the Publish 90 notes on UO guide.

Skill Masteries

• Updated Mastery Book layout in both clients.
  • Mastery Primers now drop as rewards from all Champion Spawns, Scalis, and Charybdis.
  • Mastery Necromancy ability Conduit no longer forces hands free when casting.
  • Mastery abilities Called Shot, Thrust, Shield Bash, and Elemental Fury damage is now capped at 35 in player verses player.
  • Mastery Chivalry ability Holy Fist now has a chance to slow its target that can be resisted.
  • Mastery Archery ability Playing the Odds now applies a lower defense buff to targets within a five tiles radius.
  • Mastery abilities that trigger from hitting targets no longer trigger when combined with special moves.
  • Mastery Animal Taming abilities Combat Training and Whispering now unhide caster.
  • Mastery Parry ability Shield Bash now interrupts spells if players are not immune to paralyze.
  • Mastery Poisoning ability Injected Strike debuff will be reduced on ranged weapons.
  • Mastery Balance: All special abilities (Death Strike, Counter Attack …) now cancel Injected

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

But, it CAN be resisted. He is not wrong. This is from the Publish 90 notes on UO guide.

Skill Masteries

• Mastery Primers now drop as rewards from all Champion Spawns, Scalis, and Charybdis.
  • Mastery abilities Called Shot, Thrust, Shield Bash, and Elemental Fury damage is now capped at 35 in player verses player.
  • Mastery Chivalry ability Holy Fist now has a chance to slow its target that can be resisted.
  • Mastery Archery ability Playing the Odds now applies a lower defense buff to targets within a five tiles radius.
  • Mastery abilities that trigger from hitting targets no longer trigger when combined with special moves.
  • Mastery Animal Taming abilities Combat Training and Whispering now unhide caster.
  • Mastery Parry ability Shield Bash now interrupts spells if players are not immune to paralyze.
  • Mastery Poisoning ability Injected Strike debuff will be reduced on ranged weapons.
  • Mastery Balance: All special abilities (Death Strike, Counter Attack …) now cancel Injected
Yea, the slow can be resisted. Not the dmg. Paith is correct in his statement

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Skill Masteries

The slow effect, is only an issue when you're fighting Multiple holyfisters... it makes like 0 difference in one vs one.

Blitzkrieg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have noticed that sometimes you hit for 35 points, sometimes only 19. Is this not resisted damage? Or just a bad roll? It seems really hit or miss.