• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Histories...

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tian Agrivar stood at the bow, watching the bustle of the Vesper docks as the boat came into the inner harbor. The boat gliding almost soundlessly as it approached the mooring. Tian was plainly dressed. He could be easily mistaken for any commoner on the streets. This was not by accident. Tian's stock and trade was information, something he was very adept at acquiring. Playing the role of common folk or even a beggar was a necessity. Guile and misdirection were his tools, and he was a master at using them. Vesper was a town he had visited many years ago when it was less civilized, a much more "colorful" town. It had changed much in the years since, as he himself had. The past he shared with the town now threatened his family, and possibly these very shores. He considered his task both urgent personally, and a partial atonement for deeds of his youth. Some of which would be better forgotten, but they remained to haunt his thoughts.

His mission was a simple one, locate his cousin Piram, and give him the information he carried. Information that was vital to the Agrivar name... information that could affect this harborage and the lands at large.

Piram no sooner than got settled, taking a late meal after returning from the Governor's meeting, when Shoji came in. Piram looked up, waiting for a response. He could see the look of concern in the others eyes. "Well, speak man... I am trying to eat here." Shoji replied, "You may not have an appetite soon..." At that response Piram stopped eating and pushed his plate away, "speak my friend." Shoji responded, "We have a guest, and you may not be happy about it." Getting up, Piram headed to the entry.

Hearing approaching footsteps, Tian turned and regarded his cousin. Piram did not recognized the poorly dressed man at first, then looks of first shock, then anger, crossed his face. Barely spitting out the word, all he could muster was... "YOU!!"

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The cousins locked eyes for a long moment, then Piram asked, "What do you want. I never thought I'd see you here in these lands. You have important news... or are you here to torment me?" Tian smiles briefly at that thought. He had always been a "tormentor" of Piram's, since they were but lads. "No", he said, "I have not come to cause you any more grief, but the news I possess might. Someone from your deep past has returned to the world, someone you thought had long since died...you know of whom I speak..." Piram had a puzzled look while he pondered those words, then it came upon him.... "De Graaf" he whispered, "it has to be De Graaf" On saying those words he sat down hard in the chair just behind him. Tian regarded his older cousin a moment, not quite feeling sorry for him as much as understanding the meaning and importance of that name.

Piram looked up. "He is here, in these lands?" Tian responded by saying, "I don't believe he is here yet, but I am sure he has an inkling you are here. You know then, eventually he will show up... and that will be bad for any that cross his path." "Aye", Piram said. "You and I have had our differences over the years. I have followed the path of honor and virtue, while you have followed a.... shadier path." Tian started a bit at that - saying, "just because I do not openly perform your.. good deeds, doesn't mean I am any less honorable. You fight in the open, while I prefer to fight from the shadows. Information can be every bit as powerful as the steel you are so found of wielding. It was those very talents that allowed me to find out about De Graaf. Don't be so fast to judge Piram... I am honorable, as are all the Agrivars." Piram studied Tian. There was conviction in the words he spoke, no doubt Tian thought he was doing good, dealing in information that Piram regarded as acquired by dubious means... still this was blood, and Tian's intentions appeared to be for the good of himself, and others.

"Okay", Piram relented, "We shall work together to find and rid the land of De Graaf. Gods know I have tried many times before, and the last time I thought it was done... once more I am in error. Enough of this, we have things that must be done... preparations, warnings. And I need to let Vesper know so they can safeguard themselves. Shoji, send birds... Master Frostmore first, it is imperative he know of this as soon as possible to put his associates into play. Also birds to the Governor Khaleesi, and to Lord Quacklebush. He must prepare the ships.. they will encounter De Graaf long before we see him in the lands. He is a Pirate through and through... he'll deal with the seas first... then come for us. All must be prepared, all must be ready."

Shoji headed to the aviary in the top of the outpost, once more doing his all familiar task, banding the birds with their notes... but this time there was real urgency. He watched as the birds went... each taking flight in the direction of Vesper's council folk. Shoji only hoped it was not too late...

Frostmore

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It was a dreary day. Grey skies and a restless sea. Atop the Vesper Intelligence HQ Lord Frostmore looks toward an angry an unforgiving storm looming from the south like a predator stalking its prey. "A few hours, maybe." He grabs a large cauldron full of oil with both his hands and brings it over to the gargoyle statues between the crenelations of the small stronghold. As he fills the statues with the oil, pouring it into an opening on the gargoyles back; only seen when an inconspicuous stone, that looked like a natural part of the sculpture, was removed. It was a safeguard. The intelligence trade was dangerous on good days. If an unwelcome intruder tried to breach the headquarters they would be drenched with scolding oil. One can never be to careful. So far the location of the site is known only to key Vesperians and allies. Frostmore meant to keep it that way.

Suddenly, he heard the faint flapping of wings and a hurried heartbeat in the distance. As he turned around the raven landed on his forearm. He smirked. "Piram works you like a dog. He must realize you're just a raven by now." Frostmore shakes his head. "What news do you bring me this time my little friend?" He reads the letter. "A Pirate ay? If he's on his way by sea, he might have passed by the Sea Market. I should start there."

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Piram sat with Tian on the roof of the outpost. Both puffing on their pipes, looking out over the small bay leading to the sea. Tian broke the silence, "You cannot face De Graaf alone. You will need help." Piram replied, "I am not... you are here now." Taking a long draw from his pipe, then releasing the smoke to swirl in the salt breeze Tian said, "Then let me rephrase... you and I alone will NOT be enough. Is that more precise?" Piram allowed a small chuckle, "Aye, and the Orion alone will not be enough ship. I will need to ask Lord Quacklebush about the Armada. Vesper has many ships, many good captains, and even a few... that shall we say are adept at combating and acquiring sea vessels from those wanting to keep them." Tian feigned shock, "Do you mean to say the pious Piram Agrivar consorts with pirates!?" Piram responded, "These men are not what I consider true pirates. Certainly not as low as De Graaf. These men serve the greater good of Vesper... so, yes, I support them."

Piram's gaze wandered to the spot where the Orion was moored. It was a traditional galleon of Vesper construction. In fine shape, and a good captain. Piram had purchased the large ship shortly after the outpost was constructed. The outpost was erected here partly because of the easy sea access, and he figured as Vesper was a harbor town, a boat would be needed. He had however, figured to use it for commerce not combat. It was meagerly equipped with just 6 cannon... something he would need to rectify if going up against De Graaf.

About this time his thoughts were interrupted when Shoji came with a message from spy master Frostmore. It was a short response regarding the warning about De Graaf's appearance. Simply stated it said, "Understood my friend. I will set about making inquiries." Piram handed the note to Tian and suggested, "I think you and Master Frostmore will make good allies in this. You both share the same... gifts and talents. I am sure he could use your help, and you his. I will go down now and write you a letter of introduction. Take it, and seek him out. I'll wager he already knows you are here, and quite probably WHO you are." With that Piram arose heading off to the teleportation pad, leaving Tian sitting in the sun to contemplate Piram's suggestion.

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Captain Eduard De Graaf. A tall gaunt man, dark hair with streaks of gray running through it, grizzled un-kept beard and moustache. A man not to be trifiled with. He was now standing at the railing of the Erebus, his ship. He stood watching as his latest catch as it sank. The command crew lashed to the yard arms. Grinning while they moaned and cried for mercy. HIs revelry was interrupted just then by his first mate, a large half orc by the name Haac. Haac questioned, "Cap'n wut bout these here?". He was referring to the crew that they "invited" on board the Erebus. De Graaf responded, "If they have information, they live... if not, over the side with em." Haac brought up the first man. The pitiful seaman looked up into the cold eyes of De Graaf. Looking into those eyes and seeing nothing, no hint of humanity or compassion. De Graaf asked, "What can ye tell me that's worth your wretched soul? C'mon man speak..." The seaman looked downward, "I know little my lord." "LORD" De Graaf howled, "He called me a lord. Do I look like a lord? This man has no use, over the side with em.. and be quick about it." Gleefully the crew of the Erebus hoisted the man up, and over the side he went. Attached to his ankle was a manacled chain with a heavy cannonball on the end. A "tradition" of the Erebus... the command crew goes down with the ship, the crew gets questioned, and in most cases, drowned.

After several men had been tossed over... De Graaf started to bore of the activity. Barely listening to the captured men as they wailed, pleaded or actually offered up what they thought might save them. De Graaf called over Haac, and in a low whisper began talking to his 1st mate. " What news? Any word on who we seek? Many boats we have taken with little to show." Haac shot back, "Cap'n... we ave more gold n goods now then we'v err taken. How can ya say we got nothing?" At that, De Graaf riled, his voice rising to a much more audible level, "YOU more than most know what I seek... word of the clan Agrivar. Those 'honorable nits' took everything from me, and I will have my vengeance on them all. As long as an Agrivar breathes I will not rest!!" Haac winced a bit at his captain's response. But the next crewman from the taken ship brightened a bit, "Captain, I may have words that will save meself from the sea." De Graaf turned to the man on his knees and growled, "What can a lowly bilge rat like yerself have that I could possibly need?" The crewman said in a condescending tone, "I know of an Agrivar..." De Graaf cocked his head, "That my lad, may be of interest... " Moving closer to the man's face he asked, "And just where is this Agrivar? Eh?" The man responded with one word, "Vesper".

Hearing that, De Graaf stood bolt upright. "Haac, toss the rest of this scum over, we'll need speed." Haac looked at the man that seemed to have uttered the magic word, "And what of this one?" De Graaf turned, his gaze falling over Haac and then the seaman.... "Ah, let's reward im properly, eh? Lash two cannon balls before tossing him over. He can see Davey Jones that much quicker!" Spinning around and walking a brisk step, he headed towards his cabin. He could hear the protests of the man that may have given him what he has sought after for so long - another Agrivar to collect and punish. He started laughing heartily then, a cold humorless laugh, more chilling than anything else. Speaking to no one, he said, "I'm coming. Another payment to collect. MEN! Raise the sheets. Haul anchor, we make for Vesper. It has been ages since I've been... time to make them remember me..."

The Erebus was a Gargoyle ship. Smaller than the big ships, but quicker and more maneuverable. That's why De Graaf chose it. Easy to make quick hits, run out ahead, then drop back in and spar some more. It was coal black, no hint of color, even the sheets were black. A simple flag flew from the main mast... a silver nautilus on an black back ground. Upon close inspection you would see that the nautilus had a patch like a pirate... The Erebus was making way north by north west, even at it's fastest, it would be weeks before they would make Vesper, that is provided they left the commerce shipping alone - a highly unlikely possibility.

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
De Graaf grinned a toothy grin, watching as his latest prize slipped beneath the waves. Haac and the rest of the crew had already resumed their duties and chores. Only De Graaf reveled in watching the merchant vessel die. As the water boiled with the escaping air trapped below its decks, various flotsam appeared on the surface. Mostly ship parts and assorted wood from the breaking up ship, but then a banner floated up. As De Graaf studied it, it became clear... the words he could make out... 'Vesper Trading and Shipping'. De Graaf's grin became an all out smile as he realized the ship came from the harbor town of Vesper... exactly where he intended to end up. Thinking to himself, "Ah, a good omen. As if fate was dragging me directly to you. Do you feel it? Your impending doom. Soon Agrivar, soon... Vesper will run red, and you... well, I have much in store for you!" Cackling as he went, none of the crew dared ask what their captain found so funny. Not even Haac, who long ago learned it was best to not risk the captain's ire.

Frostmore

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Shedding his standard Vesper heraldry Frostmore puts on a set of ringmail and dons a tricorner hat in an effort to look the part. Today he wasn't Lord Frostmore, he was Halleck the smuggler. A two bit thug and mercenary looking for work on the infamous pirate D’Graafs’ legendary vessel. He unties the ship and sails south to the sea market.

upload_2014-3-6_23-54-46.png

He knew that before D’Graaf headed for Vesper he would have to pass by the sea market to replenish his supplies. He was more than capable of extracting the information. Fortunately, the seas were calm that day. A small boat would sail into the market relatively unnoticed compared to any one of the Armada’s mighty galleys that were at his disposal.

upload_2014-3-6_23-56-36.png

Arriving at the oasis in the middle of a perverbial oceanic desert Frostmore “the smuggler” steps onto the Sea Market. Someone here knows something and it was his job, no, his duty to protect Vesper from it’s enemies, at any cost.

upload_2014-3-6_23-57-24.png

“Ale!” he yells at the bartender. Samuel looks at him narrow eys. “Never seen ya ‘round ‘ere b’for.” He says, as he hands Frostmore a bottle. “Never been ‘round this barnacle dump b’for,” After about an hour he gained what little trust he could from barkeep by feeding him a cleverly thought out web of lies and half-truths. When assuming a cover identity every detail is as important as the next. You need to be able account for your past. Back as many years as you need to convince your mark that you’re authentic even though everything out of your mouth is a lie. The bartender revealed that a group of pirates came around the market just the other day and that one of them was a disgustingly filthy orc. He said they wanted to find the blacksmith but for what he didn’t know.

upload_2014-3-6_23-58-19.png

Octavian was a huge man. Seven feet tall three hundred pounds of pure muscle with arms like tree trunks and fists the size of ham hocks. The man didn’t really care much about who came and went except when they were his costomers. He just practiced his art and he was paid for it well. So it didn’t take much prying to find out that a human pirate and his pet orc ordered four cannons from the smith. Most interestingly, though, he said there was a sailor named Sherwood who stayed at the market when the pirates left. Apparently they didn’t kick him off the boat so much as they never cared to wait for him to come back to the ships before they left. Men of no loyalty they were, good pirates.

upload_2014-3-6_23-59-51.png

The market wasn’t very big. So it didn’t take long to find this sailor using the discription that Octavian gave him. The fool happened to be looking out into the ocean like some lovesick child waiting for his love to return. He looked around and saw no one in the immediate vacinity. Frostmore slowed his pace and silenced his feet like he was trained to so long ago. Like a cobra his hand strikes the back of the sailors neck and latches on. At the same time he slides a dagger from his sleeve and presses it gentilly but deliberately between two of Sherwoods ribs. He was younger that Frostmore thought. A simple greenhorn, no wonder D’Graaf didn’t bother to wait for him. The boy’s heart pounded in utter confusion and fear. Frostmore could hear the blood pumping through his aorta faster and faster. Leaning close to the boys ear he says in a calm and low whisper, “Where is D’Graaf headed?” Struggling to speak he squeels, “I… I can’t he’ll kill me, no he’ll do worse, I can’t please.” “When is he going reach Vesper? I’m not gonna give you another chance.” “Vesper? I don’t know nothin’ bout Vesp…” All he had to do was tighten his grip and put a little more pressure on the blade and the boy was talking like an old woman at a wedding. “Ok Ok! He’s ‘eaded to Vesper aye, but he’s not going there first. He says he wants some knight called Agrinar or Abnicar or something. I don know who he is. Says he wants this knight feel what it’s like to ‘ave is world crummble around ‘em before D’Graaf kills ‘em. He’s goin’ after the cities allied with Vesper first. Figures if Vesper habors this Knight he’s gonna take the city down from the outside. Now come on man, who the hell are you? I gave you what you want! What the hell?!!!” “Where is he starting? What city is next?” Frostmore pushes the dagger a half inch breaking the skin. “Don’t make sound unless you’re gonna answer my question.” “Glow! ‘he’s ‘eaded for Glow first!” Frostmore scowled. Please with the information Frostmore removed the dagger from the boys side and lifted it up to his face. Cutting deeply enough to leave a nasty scar but in no way lethal he whispers one last word of advice. “If you think D’Graaf would kill you for this, then keep your mouth shut little boy. But never forget me and never mention me.” A wicked smile grew across Frostmores face as he took the blade and licked the blood off the finely sharpened edge. As the boy watched from the corner of his eye in parralyzing fear he nodded slowly and assuredly. Suddenly, he released his grip and was gone by the time the boy turned around. Bewildered and scared he counted the few blessings he had left in this life and never spoke of the encounter with another living… or dead soul.

upload_2014-3-7_0-1-4.png

Last edited:

Frostmore

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Haac the Orc took the sharpening stone and slid it methodically across the edge the scimitar he took from the dead elf. A moons turn back the pirate fleet crossed paths with a ship of Elven merchants and a couple sell-swords they hired to protect them on their journey. Haac boarded the ship with his men as Captain De Graaf blocked off the ship from the other side and watched in amusement as Haac took out one of the sell-swords with a frenzy of enraged blows. He hissed, “Money well spent Elves,” and cackled in a uniquely guttural and orcish manner.

Currently, the fleet had finally made its way to Moonglow. The first in a series of attacks that De Graaf has planned. For years now, since Haac first met him in Bucs Den, he’d been obsessed with this Knight that Haac never heard of before. The Orc sometimes wondered if this Agrivar was all in De Graaf’s head. Revenge drove every second of the man’s existence. Every night he would tell his crew the same story about how the knight ruined his life and he would vow revenge. He wouldn’t be satisfied with anything less than the head of the very bane of his existence. Haac couldn’t care less about this knight or what he did to De Graaf. It was the plunder that De Graaf promised him. He said Vesper was a rich city with abundant gold. Gold. He licked his purple lips with a slimy black tongue.

It wasn’t as big or rich or populated as Vesper, but Moonglow was in their path and the crews needed a little exercise before pillaging a city as big Vesper. They were getting restless from the long journey. As the pulled into the docks some of the fishermen started to scurry leaving their catches and hoping that it would satisfy the pirates and they would leave. These men won’t be satiated until they tasted blood. De Graaf gave him the signal to drop anchor and tie up the rig to the dock. Now the fun would begin.

upload_2014-3-23_14-0-59.png

When they set foot on the dock the walked straight over to the fish monger. A burly gargoyle named Clement. The goyle was a hard man. His skin was leathery from the years he spent in the sun while working the docks. The pirates approached. Clement didn’t flinch, he wasn’t about to be pushed around on his own dock. The pirates demanded his fish and his gold. Clement was a proud Gargoyle but he was smart too. This wasn’t the first time he’s dealt with this kind of sea-scum. He gave them the day catch and the gold in his pockets. What else could he do? He was no match for five men and an Orc. At least they might spare his life if he cooperated. Everyone lives by a code of sorts, even pirates sometimes. They took their treasure and their fish and moved on further into the city. Clement wondered how many townspeople he would have to bury tonight.

upload_2014-3-23_14-1-38.png

De Graaf moved as if he knew exactly where he wanted to go. Their first stop was the mapmaker. The Captain kicked down the door with ease and the pirates rushed in. “Who is the mapmaker?” De Graaf yelled, as his men corraled the other merchants in the store. “Be still or I’ll cut ya down,” one of them said. A timid young woman raised a trembling hand. “I am Patience the mapmaker sir.” De Graaf had fire in his eyes and he grabed the girls hand with a ferosity, “Sir!? I am no sir you little wench! Do you see me wearing a fancy doublet and cape? How about these lovely little pantaloons I have!? Aren’t they just splendid!? Why, I’m ready to go to court and parade in front of that aggrivating little monkey you call a king!” It looked to Haac like the Captains eyes were about to launch right out of their sockets. Even as an orc Haac was always surprised at how quickly De Graaf would loose his rage. “ Where are the charts to Vesper? Give them to me now and I might let you live!” When De Graaf let her go she fell on the ground. Her legs were so weak the felt like noodles. She huried to her feet and went over to one of the crates. She fingered the rolls of maps. “Urry op,” yelled the Orc, “Or ull beh meh lunch. Am gettin ungry!” The orc let out a horrible laugh.

upload_2014-3-23_14-2-23.png

As they came out of the mapmaker they were spotted by one of the sentry guards. Moonglow wasn’t prepared. Their guards weren’t expecting an attack and were spread all about the town. This one was brave. He walked straight toward the pirates. “Thou art now match for me! Ye pirates are unlawful bottom feeders of our Kings peace! A dozen of ye are no match for me!” The foolhardy guard didn’t stand a chance. Suddenly, a fury of swords danced around him with savage precision and cut the man down before he realized the mistake he made. Maybe that was a good thing, thought Haac.

upload_2014-3-23_14-3-4.png

A nobelman walked in their direction as the raiding party proceeded further into Moonglow. He was quickly stripped of his coins and jewels when two guards heard the nobleman’s plees for mercy. The guards sacrificed themselves for the town they vowed to keep safe and failed at their duty.

upload_2014-3-23_14-3-43.png

When De Graaf saw the statue of Blackthorn in the middle of a pretty patch of grass surrounded by flowers he spat on the ground and looked at his men with a wicked grin. “Let’s give our good King a make-over boys! He’s looking a little stiff these days!” De Graaf laughed. The King offered no resistance to his plundering at sea, so how could Vesper hope to hold back his fleet?

upload_2014-3-23_14-6-7.png

Once they had their fill the pirates returned to their ships and set of for Vesper. Before they left they set fire to the docks. They knew how important the docks were to the island and they wanted the city to feel what it was like to be sacked by pirates again.

With these new charts it shouldn’t take long to reach the city. Treasure was just a couple weeks away and Haac could taste it. He liked the way gold tasted on his slug-like tongue. These little diversions were decent enough, but De Graaf promised riches in Vesper. Haac was going to hold him to that.

upload_2014-3-23_14-7-34.png

Moonglow was thoroughly sacked and pillaged. Its supplies of fish were dwindled and its docks set to the torch. After years of peace on the seas the pirates have returned. Only a powerful Navy could halt this plague from spreading across the greater kingdom. Fortunately, it seemed De Graaf was headed straight for that very Armada. With his sails unfurled and his bows pointing to Vesper, De Graaf's very existence hung on the outcome of the upcoming battle with his greatest foe, Sir Piram Agrivar and his new family of Vesperians.

Attachments

Last edited:

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Piram stood on the edge of the Vesper docks. It was late into the evening, and there was little visible of the activity of the docks in the daytime. While he reveled in his thoughts, gazing out across the water, a stiff - rather cold gust came from over the water. Feeling the chill, he thought "trouble is coming, I can feel it. Something I can't quite fathom, but it will be upon us soon... I must discuss this with the others." With that, he hurried off to find Vesper's new Governor, and it's master of intelligence.

Frostmore

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The Battle of Nujel'm Cove

Lord Frostmore had cast a web throughout the kingdom in search of anything that might lead to Captain DeGraaf’s location. His efforts paid off one random afternoon when one of his agents, a man named Thufir, brought him an intersting piece of information. Thufir spotted DeGraaf and his pirate fleet, a ragged band of murderers and theives north of Nujel’m. They were stationed on the northern cove preparing for the final assault on Vesper and the ultimate revenge against the Agrivar family.

The various ships they boarded and captured and the pillage of Monglow were not enough. DeGraaf wanted to crush Piram, and in order to do that he would need a fleet that rivaled the Armada at Vesper. Not an easy task by any standard, but he had been unstoppable so far and this bloated his allready magnanimous ego. When men are motivated by revenge their other faculties are often blinded to the reality that looms close.

An important report such as this must be verified by first hand knowledge. In order to make a convincing case to the Governor, Lord Frostmore would have to set out to Nujel’m himself, and that’s exactly what he did. He dressed himself in pirates clothing and assumed the identity once again. Once he arrived to the cove he had seen exactly what he expected to see. The majority of DeGraaf’s fleet was out on the open water, but he left a few behind. They bore the markings of his fleet, flying the pirate flag high on the mast. With the report validated Lord Frostmore slipped out as quietly as he strode in and hurried back to Vesper.

upload_2014-4-26_16-53-30.png

Back in Vepser…..

Lord Frostmore hurried to the Governor’s office. He burst through the door starling Governor Quacklebush. Lord Alward and Stry were there as well, representatives of the Guard and the Armada, respectively. The Governor spoke, “Ah, nice of you to join us Lord Frostmore. We were just discussing plans to sure up the eastern coast against the pirates and reviewing our weak points discovered during the unsuccessful invasion the other month.” With a slight grin on his face Frostmore communicated his findings to the group. “I have a location on DeGraaf’s fleet. They’re based in the northern cove of Nujel’m. They are gathering their strength against us.” Quacklebush’s long beard jiggled about as he bellowed with great laughter. “Exceptional work Lord Frostmore! Your little birdies have done us a great justice; you should feed them well!” He chuckled. “This is just the news we needed to hear gentlemen. It is time to rouse the guard and furl the sails.” The Governor proudly stood up from his seat and clenched his fist. “We will put an end to these pirateers before they get any closer to the city. Piram will be pleased.” Alward added, “I know that cove my lord; we could box them in with our ships and pummel them until they yield to us. It is the perfect place to trap them.” Frostmore continued, “We will take them unawares. They will be crippled before they even realize we are on them.” Stry asked, “And what will we do with these pirates once we have them under our control?” Frostmore and Alward replied in synchrony, “Hang them!” The Governor smashed his fist on the table and the three other men fell silent, “NO! This is Vesper. We have laws here, ours and the Kings and we cannot stoop to the level of these savages. We will put these pirates in chains and bring them to the city jail to await trial. Their crimes will be dealt with through civil means and when they’re found guilty of their crimes….. Then we hang them! Make the preparations. We sail on the marrow.” The three other men all looked at each other and nodded, then left.

At the Northern Cove of Nujel’m...

The pirates were loading some of the last provisions and arms onto the two main warships. Haac, the First Officer in the fleet, was inspecting the cannons before ordering them to armed and ready to fire. In a night or two they would be departing for the long awaited voyage to Vesper, to plunder and gold. He was convinced now more than ever that all of DeGraaf’s pretty words and shallow promises would come true. Haac wasn’t fueled by revenged like his captain was, in fact he didn’t care at all about the Agrivars or what they did to DeGraaf so long ago. All he could see and taste was the gold.

upload_2014-4-26_16-55-30.png

“Bancroft make sure those barrels are cleaned, and inspect the rigging! Consuella, take stock of cannonballs, torches, fuses and powder! We are going to use everything we have when we reach Vesper. Agrivar and his new friends will crumble when we ambush them unawares. When we sink the mighty ships in their very docks they will be scrambling and disoriented. Then we will land on their shores and strike them with all our might the midst of the chaos!”

upload_2014-4-26_16-58-20.png

“Soon weh get ta Vesper, weh hav mos of da supplies. Weh gonna take dem by suprize! Hit hard!”“Aye Haac,” the captain replied. “But we should be ready for them. Vesper is ripe my Orc-friend, and the Agrivar will rue the day!”

upload_2014-4-26_17-0-33.png

The two war ships cradled the cove waiting for the other smaller ships in the fleet to return from their duties. The schooners paroled the water while the fishing boats caught the days meal for the men. DeGraaf looked out toward the water searching for signs of the other men. He caught sight of a handful of familiar sails, not nearly as much as he would have expected. The Captains face grew confused. His ships were coming in fast as if something was chasing them. Suddenly, three massive ships flying high the bright flag of Vesper, were almost twice the size of one of DeGraaf’s warships and rounded the opening of the cove. Realizing what was happening the captain yelled, “Man the cannons! Raise the sails! The enemy is upon us!” Thunder boomed in the air as the enemy fired its mighty cannons on the fleeing ships. The handful of pirates watched helplessly from the warships as their fleet sank beneath the water.

upload_2014-4-26_17-1-9.png

DeGraaf was furious, but the Armada was swift and fell upon them before they able to respond significantly. Only one of the ships was fully manned and armed. One the Vesper ships took out the nearly defensely warship with little effort. Then they surrounded DeGraafs main ship. “Fire all cannons! Now you filthy scum! Now!” boomed DeGraaf. He was being attacked from both side now and before all the cannons the Vesper ships had done severe damage to DeGraaf’s vessel. The Armada, led by the Lord Governor Quacklebush himself, had outwitted the pirate and all his schemes. Now the captain of the broken fleet heard the Governor yell out to his men, “Board the ship!!!!! We take them alive!”

upload_2014-4-26_17-1-56.png

The Governor spoke with an air confidence and determination. “Lay down your arms pirates and yield to us. We do not wish your deaths and will offer you the mercy of surrender.” Haac turned around to meet Quacklebush face to face. The Orcs eyes turn red in a frenzied rage and he roared, “Never!!!” He leaped toward the Governor with an assorted blow of attacks. Quaklebush blocked, parried, and skillfully evaded each one of the Orcs freakishly strong blows.

upload_2014-4-26_17-3-6.png

They danced the mortal dance upon the deck of the ship while Cauchemar of the Vanguard and a mage named Lore, a friend of the city, were having trouble keeping DeGraaf from aiding his first mate. Quacklebush saw an opening through the Orc’s tornado of strikes and seized it, quickly. He plunged his cutlass through the orcs armor and withdrew it, opening a giant wound in the orcs side. Haac dropped to the deck, montionless and in an egregiously large pool of his own blood.

upload_2014-4-26_17-3-40.png

As Haac lay slain on the floor Quacklebush was able to aid the two men fending off DeGraaf’s blows. With three opponents on him the pirate captain couldn’t defend himself against all those swords and was quickly wounded in the leg. “You bastards! Where is the Agrivar! I will gut him like a pig! Argh!!!!” The only response the pirate received was the Governors gruff voice saying, “Put him in chains and bring him back to Vesper with us. We are done here.” With that the barely scratch Armada took their prize and sailed back to Vesper.

Quacklebush in his foresight had ordered Frostmore to stay behind with Piram and Tian, who both initially protested vigorously at first until they saw the wisdom in the decision. The Governor knew that bringing them along could create an unpredictable set of variables and this was too important to allow an emotional out lash to jeopardize the mission. The encounter proved to him that he made the right choice because it wasn’t just a member of the Vanguard who was at stake, it was the entire city of Vesper, everything he his predecessor worked so hard to build.

upload_2014-4-26_17-4-10.png

Back in Vesper, after the Armada returned home….

Frostmore was summoned to the jail by the Governor. “So did you bring DeGraaf back alive and unharmed?” “Aye, alive we did, but we took him with a flesh wound. It went precisely as we discussed at my office the other night except that I had to fell the orc. He couldn’t be subdued. DeGraaf was my main concern,” said the Governor. Frostmore shrugged with impunity, “I will sleep well tonight knowing the world is free of one more orc.” They both allowed each other a slight grin. “Come in Lord Frostmore, and gaze upon our prize this evening.”

upload_2014-4-26_17-8-24.png

As Frostmore entered the jail and looked upon the disheveled pirate licking his wound and his pride Frostmore smiled wickedly. He took a slow deep breath and he could smell the blood seeping through DeGraaf’s bandage. It titillated him. Cauchemar and Lore were already there and noded. Frostmore turned to the Governor. “I would take great pleasure in extracting any information you might need my lord. I still have the skills taught to me by the Ebon Skull, I could use the practice.” “Nay Joseph, it won’t be necessary. We have all we need behind those very bars. We will put him on trial as I said and this washed up pirate will seal his own fate, with his own words. Then, maybe… we will have ourselves a good hanging.” Frostmore smirked. “The mighty DeGraaf,” he chuckled. “Frostmore, I want you to send word to Moonglow. See if they wish to be present during this trial. They were the true victims of the pirate.” “Aye my lord I shall do that as soon as I get back to the rookery.”

upload_2014-4-26_17-16-9.png

As Frostmore and Quacklebush walked out of the jail to leave the pirate sulking in his own loathsome demise. “Well done Governor,” said Frostmore, “I will go and inform Piram, he will be relieved at least and jubilant at best.” Quacklebush put a hand on Frostmore’s shoulder and had a big smile on his face. “You did well too my friend, we all did well on this day.”

Attachments

Piram Agrivar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Piram pulled the stool over closer to the cell. Peering through the shadows he could see the outline of DeGraaf, slumped in the corner. He could tell the man was staring back at him, his hate almost palpable. Piram regarded the man a while longer, then DeGraaf broke the silence, "Come ta gloat have ye? See me in chains, broken and powerless..." Piram merely watched, saying nothing. The silence in the room was deafening. Then DeGraaf rushed the bars - his chains clattering loudly behind him. "Have ye nothing ta say Agrivar?! Ye won, ye bested me... no, nothing?"

Piram shifted on the stool, then stood up. Moving close to the bars he whispered," It is coming DeGraaf. Justice. Justice for your wrongs, justice for your deeds, and justice for those left in your wake." DeGraaf snorted, "Come at me then, brings yer justice. I fear nothing nor no man - not even the great Piram Agrivar." Piram smiled, "It is well you do not fear me pirate. Governor Quacklebush will be your undoing, and he is the one you should fear. He will preside over your trial, and not a more resolute soul would you find. He will teach you the meaning of Justice, and you will finally pay for your crimes. I am sure Lord Frostmore will have a hand in it as well. As for me, I will be watching. Just another onlooker."

DeGraaf's face whitened somewhat at the realization of Piram's meaning, but only briefly. Spitting at Piram's foot, he turned and headed back into the shadows. Speaking as he went, " No man has bested me ever, and I doubt yer Quacklebush or Frostmore will now... you always had more faith than brains. Leave me now , I grow tired of looking at ye...."