• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hidden Portal in New Room In Doom - (Spoiler)!!!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so lets be frank....can someone if they have time post how the bloody hell they worked this out in LOGICAL steps form start to finish so that people can understand why they cant .....please...because this makes my brain hurt and meant absoulte jack **** to me....
I said it earlier, but put the spoiler tags around it.... It was basically when the manuscript mentioned 'long dead king'. There are only a few known Kings. While British had been missing, he wasn't dead, so that left someone before him. As far as I know there are only three named kings before Lord British took the throne. Shamino, King of the White Dragon and Wolfgang.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I have to agree with THP....*waits for flamestrike* I KID! :)

My brain does not work that way...so I see ok we have a chance for these doom drops...get enough of them and you can make one of 5 prophetic manuscripts. Read into that..ok so these must be a prophecy of some sort...so collect all 5 and read them.

Which I did; but don't know enough about Ultima lore so I needed some help lol.

Now when you go into the dig site itself...with someone who doesn't have detect...all you'll see is a wooden sign (No runes):

*The wooden sign seems in oddly good condition for how old the sarcophagus is. Most of the inscription is worn away...*

and another sign with some buttons on it:

*You examine the plaque...there appears to be a series of runic characters that are raised up...they look like buttons...*
Enter the characters you wish to push

So how does one go from reading the books and realizing that whatever clues are hidden within them have something to do with the weird runic symbols on the plaque.

This is why I believed that the runes on the wooden sign have little to do with the buttons on the plaque because not everyone can see them..but they DO have a purpose..of which we don't know yet?

So if you know Ultima Lore then what NuSair said makes sense...I didn't know of the three kings before Lord British so did some historical reading after he gave me the hint he posted above, and learned a lot! Still would not have thought to try the names of those kings on the plaque but it makes sense in a linear way, seeing as the manuscripts are a prophecy, and whatever prophetic message contained within them had to have something to do with the plaque...but to me there's no real clue pointing to that fact.

*Read the books, figure out the clues, use that as the password* all very vague to me, but obviously people figured it out so that's all that matters :)

Can't wait to see what's in store, I do love a good story arc!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While interesting (by pulling in old Ultima lore), I really don't like the direction this is going. I don't like they way the EMs have evidently been using the Time Lord (from what I've heard, I haven't participated in any of the events) and I like even less when people begin retconning the stories that helped me fall in love with Ultima.

It is kind of like how TSR was having Kevin J Anderson write a Drizzt novel because Salvatore was putting out his Demon Gate Wars novels (I think those were the ones) and he didn't want to have two novels out at the same time. So, TSR hired Anderson to write a Drizzt novel. Thankfully Wizards of the Coast bought TSR and tossed that in the trash.

Build off the story, don't go back and change it.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While interesting (by pulling in old Ultima lore), I really don't like the direction this is going. I don't like they way the EMs have evidently been using the Time Lord (from what I've heard, I haven't participated in any of the events) and I like even less when people begin retconning the stories that helped me fall in love with Ultima.
I'm curious to hear more about how the EMs have been using the Time Lord. Haven't seen him on LS since the Blackrock detector. I have less of a problem with retconning stories from the original games and more with retconning UO specific fiction (origin story for Ilshenar, Blackthorn's many incarnations, the Shadowlords, etc.).

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

It is kind of like how TSR was having Kevin J Anderson write a Drizzt novel because Salvatore was putting out his Demon Gate Wars novels (I think those were the ones) and he didn't want to have two novels out at the same time. So, TSR hired Anderson to write a Drizzt novel. Thankfully Wizards of the Coast bought TSR and tossed that in the trash.

Build off the story, don't go back and change it.
I agree, lately it seems the EM's have run out of ideas for new storylines. They seem to all pretty much just copy each others events now. Whenever one EM does a really cool event, within a month you see 3+ more on other shards that are nearly identical to the original. I understand that after 17 years it's hard to think of new story ideas, but maybe they should accept player fan-fiction or something. Set up an email account they all have access to that way people can email them new ideas for events, and they can just pick whichever they like and roll with it.

Carebearsrulez

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I found that the blind guy is more of a taker than a giver. He takes all kinds of items, stuff like orange petals, bank checks, and insured robes. My friends paid $12.99 this month to kill monsters in doom, I paid $12.99 to stare at my irretrievable items in an NPC's backpack, this game is so fun. I'm sure the dev team will assure me this was "intentional" and not in any way a mistake, that way they will not have to compensate me, since technically my items are not lost or stolen, they are just irretrievable due to a poorly planned game mechanic. (As usual)
insured.png
insured.png

Attachments

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So...just out of curiosity....did you GIVE him your robe? And...if so...why? I mean..I can see testing stuff...but did you HAVE to do it with that?

Seems kinda silly....but can you steal them back? Also note to self...don't give the blind man anything :)

BigJP

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hahaha

I got a nice repeating crossbow, spell chan, Mana leech 34%, mage weap -15, balanced, intel +5, MR 3, FC -1, Poison dam. 70%, perfect for my mage tamer :D.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's nice to see some actual in game fiction even if it is fairly esoteric in form, especially for people like myself who have never played another ultima game, but, and I hate to be nitpicky... this isn't really the "Halloween" event it was marketed as. It's a regular/VvV story. :p
Do you want to play the other Ultimas?

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I found that the blind guy is more of a taker than a giver. He takes all kinds of items, stuff like orange petals, bank checks, and insured robes. My friends paid $12.99 this month to kill monsters in doom, I paid $12.99 to stare at my irretrievable items in an NPC's backpack, this game is so fun. I'm sure the dev team will assure me this was "intentional" and not in any way a mistake, that way they will not have to compensate me, since technically my items are not lost or stolen, they are just irretrievable due to a poorly planned game mechanic. (As usual)
View attachment 25306
View attachment 25306

I don't understand this post either.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ah... sorta. I bought them all on GoG like 2 years ago on sale and never played them heh. I'll get around to it eventually I wager.
You dont have to play them all. Concentrate on U7 part 1 and 2. These are milestones in RPG. Incredibly good games. And you will find many similarities to UO. U6 is a stunner, too.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont have to play them all. Concentrate on U7 part 1 and 2. These are milestones in RPG. Incredibly good games. And you will find many similarities to UO. U6 is a stunner, too.
I was mainly planning on 6-8 when I get around to it. I played 9 for like 3 minutes (came with some expansion of UO), and hated it, and the previous ones are just a bit too old.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima 7 is among the Top 10 of the best games ever. Together with Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Civilization, Silent Service, Privateer and some others.

Ok, back to OP: Can somebody tell what the guy in the cathedral does?

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I double clicked him and I found...

....that he is talking too much!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I find myself a bit saddened that they decided to mess with old lore when we still have lore that wasn't touched at all.
What a great opportunity this would have been to introduce Batlin, Elizabeth, Abraham, Hook, The Fellowship and finally the Guardian himself.

But here we are, messing with stuff that happened during Akalabeth and Ultima 1. :(

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 25306
View attachment 25306
Why would you even give him those items in the first place? What did you think would happen?

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
big spoiler below

if u aint got it yet...u dont need any of the books ...just go to the shrine were the plaque is and say wolfgang.....jesus...