• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hi Catskills!...Gargoyle Equipment?

L

Lightpaw

Greetings Catskills, returning to UO to be with my partner Huskiblu who seems to be having a good time on this shard. Seems like there are quite a few new things in the game so i feel all noobish and confuzzled all over again. I am not asking for any handouts though.

I do have to ask this, I have been wanting to try playing as a gargoyle (sampire maybe, sounds like fun), but heard they have problems with not being able to wear certain kinds of equipment. I have not been able to find anything saying what they can and cannot equip, so I would like some advice in this matter.

Thanks,
Lightpaw

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The latest patch has addressed a bulk of the issue of them not being able to equip certian "types" of items that really give an advantage. For example Crimson Cinture & Glasses.

If you're just returning I wouldn't worry about it too much though as it won't affect you unless you're ready to go all out and deck a character out from nothing to everything.

Gargoyles arn't too far off at all these days with equipment selection with the exception of pvp based faction gear that should be addressed in the future I'd hope.

L

Lightpaw

Well learned the hard way that starting back as a gargoyle with nothing is not the right thing to do, they cant equip anything not meant for gargoyles (not even worried about artifacts right now). And could not find any starting area meant for gargoyles. Guess I will be an elf =^.^=

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if you want to run a garg run a garg! As far as starting equipment it would be so easy to make you a starting suit, not even worth calling it a "hand out".

Let me know if you are a caster or a dexxer and I can throw something together quick.

L

Lightpaw

I do appreciate the offer of a suit, but I guess I was more hoping for an area to learn the game again as a gargoyle, similar to what haven is for humans and elves...as in being able to find equipment from corpses to use.

Roaming around outside the gargoyle city in Tel Mur just kinda led me to a couple mongbats before getting slaughtered by a trap door spider and losing everything I had on me.

Did I perhaps miss something?

L

Lightpaw

Thank you for the replies. After several hours of searching through old forum posts I think I have finally answered most of my own questions regarding Gargoyles and thought I would post here what I did find, maybe it will help others looking for similar answers.

I still do not know for sure that there is or is not a newbie gargoyle starting area, but the closest quest to where you appear in the game when creating a gargoyle is a raptor quest. One of those by itself pretty much one hit killed me, and they spawn others when one attacks you, on top of that, they seem quite fast...not very newbie gargoyle friendly at all.

As far as equipment. The new areas added in the expansion are where gargoyle stuffs are dropping. But again, too hard for new players. If you have a friend that is already at least GM in some of the craft skills such as tailoring or blacksmithing, then you can get a number of drops "converted" to gargoyle equipment for your gargoyle to wear. Seems like some artifacts are able to be converted as well, but not all.

It may be beneficial for the new player or confused returning player to go ahead and stay with making an elf or human, to go through everything haven has to offer, and make use of anything given to them easily. If that player still wishes to be a gargoyle in the end, soulstone fragments can be crafted (i believe) to help with moving the skills over to your new gargoyle. If you are planning to do this, remember to save any power scrolls (skill and stat) both for when you are truly ready for them on your gargoyle.

I hope all that helps someone out there.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Aye it is quite confusing if you once played UO back before there were races and then suddenly try to take on the game as a gargoyle!

Glad you got the answers you were looking for :)

L

Lightpaw

Thank you =^.^=, Eventually I will be a gargoyle, but will get going well first