• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hey Jeremy- Who Turned Out the Lights?

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
C

Connor_Graham

Something seems to be amiss with the elven night sight....

You can clearly see the lighted areas in this pic with the rest dark as a human character would see it, even though my char is an elf. Do you think you might be able to poke someone and get them to take a look at this? This has been an on and off issue for a couple of months now. I notice it most often around the Ilsh Spirituality champ spawn.

L

Lolindir

No no. Thats one of the good bugs. Please leave it as it is.

C

Connor_Graham

No no. Thats one of the good bugs. Please leave it as it is.
There's no such thing as a good bug. Every character I have is an elf for one reason or another and I'd prefer not to have to find night sight pieces for them or have to go out and buy a bunch of Nocturne Earrings that I shouldn't be needing in the first place.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dismount, remount, should clear it. Not ideal, but I've found it works for me.

C

Connor_Graham

or cast night sight. Not a tough spell to cast, even without any magery...la
What part of "the character is an elf and shouldn't have to worry about nightsight" and "this is a bug" are you not comprehending? I didn't ask for a workaround, I asked for it to be looked at so it could be fixed.

L

Lolindir

Some people chose to be elves just so they could always have night sight. This kind of defeats that purpose don't you think?
True that. Would be nice to have an option to toggle Elven nightsight

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And while it's being worked on...use my suggestion. I don't recall ever saying that this thread or your question were bad ideas. Sheesh...mellow a bit...la

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Connor and Rico, are you guys related in real life or something? Sometimes I'd swear you are, watching you squabble like this....

:D

A

Aboo

True that. Would be nice to have an option to toggle Elven nightsight
Yes it would be nice to have that option so those that wish to play an elf BECAUSE of the night sight can and those who wish to play an elf for other reasons and DON'T like the night sight can do that too.

C

Connor_Graham

He's my wife...la
Did someone steal your brain? Maybe you should get a new one and move to a production shard so you can insure it. :coco:

And no Tina, we're not related. I wouldn't claim him anyway even if we were.

On the other hand, I could always say he's the red headed stepchild and beat the hell out of him just because..... :stretcher:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did someone steal your brain? Maybe you should get a new one and move to a production shard so you can insure it. :coco:

And no Tina, we're not related. I wouldn't claim him anyway even if we were.

On the other hand, I could always say he's the red headed stepchild and beat the hell out of him just because..... :stretcher:
Psst, it was a joke. As mentioned earlier, please chill out...it's a game forum...la

C

Connor_Graham

Right back at ya.

That said, Jeremy, any chance of getting this looked at?

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrr, the true problem here be that no one eats carrots in UO anymore! Me favorite carrot-pickin' spot be just outside Brit...

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I would prefer if night actually was darker than day. Night sight items and elvish night sight should make night as bright as it is on the picture. To players without night sight, night should be as dark as it is in that picture:

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

OR submit a bug report as this is not the place to do that...!!!
You act as if you can't see at all, try being human when the lights go out and it's pitch black!

C

Connor_Graham

OR submit a bug report as this is not the place to do that...!!!
You act as if you can't see at all, try being human when the lights go out and it's pitch black!
That's exactly the effect I'm seeing. It's as if my character was human and not elf as far as night sight goes, although as I said, it's an on and off thing. I never know when the lights will go out.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Night Sight in general is bugged.

If you're using a night sight item, you can just take it off and put it back on and you're set.

Whether this would work as a remedy even for night sight derived from being an elf I don't know.

However....I do have to say that....Well, do you only play elf characters? Because if I saw this I would take it as night sight working pretty well.

The buff/debuff icon for night sight says "ignore lighting effects." That's incorrect, though. I have no memory of night sight ever working that way and I don't expect it to. What it does is have a generalized brightening effect. It flattens the effects of night and dungeons.

I actually like it working that way. I like being able to perceive night and day and lighting effects, and night sight (whatever its source) having a "flattening" effect rather than an "ignore" effect.

I do, however, wish they would "advertise" it correctly.

-Galen's player

ps: Sorry if in this post I mixed up "affect" and "effect."

C

Connor_Graham

Yes, all of my characters are elves for one reason or another.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is as Galen says - remove an item and put it back on. My elf that this tends to happen to wears Brightsight Lenses. I just pull them off and pop them back on occasionally. I actually wish that the elven nightsight was more like "a brighter version of night time", just so it wasnt bright daylight all the time.

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had this happen a couple of times recently with my Nocturne Earrings. A friend mentioned she had the same thing happen as well. We are on Chesapeake.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had it happen with my elf and on my human that has the earrings on. I actually liked being an elf just so I wouldn't need night sight anymore.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this is happening because the game seems to have forgotten that your character is an elf, I wonder if other character attributes changed too. For example, can your elf carry more when this is happening?

C

Connor_Graham

If this is happening because the game seems to have forgotten that your character is an elf, I wonder if other character attributes changed too. For example, can your elf carry more when this is happening?
No, that's remained the same. I'm usually out collecting bones when this happens so I'd notice if the weight he could carry had changed.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think, night sight is bugged since the beginning of UO.
Sometimes it gets darker is passing a certain area.
Sometimes nightsight items stop to work until dropped on paperdoll again.

On some of my hardware the night is that dark, that I cannot find my way through the tunnel between Minoc and Khaldun for the good.

*Salute*
Olahorand

C

Connor_Graham

To add another "thing that makes you go Hmmmm", I just remembered that this character has a gorget that has Night Sight on it. This problem was occurring before I'd gotten the gorget, but with the gorget and being elf you'd think he'd never see dark...

'Splain that one Lucy....

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes i get this too.. ever since beginning..
while the nights arent has dark as my humans with no night sight armor, you can tell its night or day..

i figure elfs should have max level of night sight.. seems to me its night sight potion level.
if i cast night sight spell it does get brighter..

WWGRD?

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually Connor, if you dismount and remount it fixes it. So maybe it has something to do with elves being mounted? It never affects my stealther, who's rarely mounted.

B

BartofCats

it also affects the character when a nightsight piece of armor or jewelry is being worn.. remove the item and put back on and it gets fixed. been that way since almost 2 years ago with ML expansion.

Now its just a feature.