• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

hey everyone

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
hey everyone, I am currently tryin to work out kinks with my account and tryin to recover lost info. I plan to come back to uo here in the near future and have been readin about siege perilous. I was wonderin if I could get some information on the shard itself. I have read about some of the rules, in how it is kind of set up as all felucca (guard-safe zone only) which is cool. here are a few questions I have, if yall could answer that would be cool, or point me in the direction of the forums holdin the answers that would be very helpful as well.

• Is siege the same way in that you can create x amount of characters and whatnot, or can you only have one?
  • would there be any way to make a staff fighter that could stand a chance on this shard?
  • are any of the other skills set up differently on this shard, than the other "basic" shards?
  • (general question) if I download the trial client, do I have access to stygian abyss and high seas expansions?
I used to play consistently on Chesapeake shard, and I think I was to come back this fourth or fifth time, id like a decent change. one of the most challengin experiences I had with this game was back in like '99 when I first played on a friends account when I believe it was just fel. either way, thank yall for your time, hope to come back soon

Last edited:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hail.

1. You can only have one character per account on Siege.
2. In PvM or PvP?
3. There might be a tweak or two (Arms lore comes to mind) but it´s basically the same.What really seperates Siege from the prodo shards is the training of them.
Once you reach 70 in any skill you enter what is known as RoT. You´ll get a guranteed gain after a set amount of time.

• Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
  • Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points have a time limit of 5 minutes between points gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 have a time limit of 8 minutes between points gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 have a time limit of 12 minutes between points gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 100 and 120 have a time limit of 15 minutes between points gained.

4. No.

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Tjalle,
well if I was to come back to ultima, (after tryin to find information on the account I activated the late expansions on) I would really like a character with interchangeable capability. I thought it may be interesting, considering what I read about people pvping with next to nothing equipped, to fight with a staff of sorts - basically favorite weapon type. also never really carried a "mace fighter" through the game to play with one effectively. of course pvp would be important, but I would also like to be able to support in pvm situations. besides, it would be nice to be self sufficient to an extent, with the ability to aid others. would prefer to not play a mage or a tamer, although im aware that mages, and tamers can be highly effective in pvp and pvm. I have experience with tamers, mages, crafters, and warrior/paladin/samurai/"sampire." I like to gather resources and craft, but I also enjoyed the combat aspect of ultima as well. ive thought maybe proficiency in mace fighting, healin, tactics, anatomy, magic resist, and not really sure what else. something well-rounded, and/or balanced would be interesting. like a staff-fighting pirate of sorts. obviously I don't expect to have a perfect character immediately, which is another reason siege is intriguing. id just like to get off on the right track off the get, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

the_gooch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Tjalle,
well if I was to come back to ultima, (after tryin to find information on the account I activated the late expansions on) I would really like a character with interchangeable capability. I thought it may be interesting, considering what I read about people pvping with next to nothing equipped, to fight with a staff of sorts - basically favorite weapon type. also never really carried a "mace fighter" through the game to play with one effectively. of course pvp would be important, but I would also like to be able to support in pvm situations. besides, it would be nice to be self sufficient to an extent, with the ability to aid others. would prefer to not play a mage or a tamer, although im aware that mages, and tamers can be highly effective in pvp and pvm. I have experience with tamers, mages, crafters, and warrior/paladin/samurai/"sampire." I like to gather resources and craft, but I also enjoyed the combat aspect of ultima as well. ive thought maybe proficiency in mace fighting, healin, tactics, anatomy, magic resist, and not really sure what else. something well-rounded, and/or balanced would be interesting. like a staff-fighting pirate of sorts. obviously I don't expect to have a perfect character immediately, which is another reason siege is intriguing. id just like to get off on the right track off the get, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I didnt read all of that but i read the first sentence.

On siege where you have ONE character the only way to make your character a jack of all trades is to invest into Soulstones. You can buy them on the uo.com store or in game for gold if people are selling them. Then you can switch out your templates all day long for whatever it is you may be doing at that time

crossandmore

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yup, either Soulstones, or splurge on more then the 1 account. Both are on siege perilous quite common. Staves aren't seen much I think,so I look forward to watching you in action,heheh.(Obviously that means I'll stalk you for a while but no worries,you'll never know Im there! )
When you first start on SP, get in touch with the guild called New2, who are all about starting out and learning the subtle differences between prodo and us. Almost all players respect the New2 tag, you'll still get killed but usually you ll also get ressed, and often given great tips (and often items)

PS-Don't ask katt for help,she ll give you so much stuff you ll be encumbered for weeks! *ducks from Katts frying pan*

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Cool folks, I thank yall for the info. i will look into this soon, got work to do. hope to see yall in game or on here in the near future

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Self sufficiency is over rated. Get friends or get rich. If ya can do both , even better.

Has it been mentioned that you can create a house on Siege and one on any other shard of your choice (except Mugen)?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Siege is not so dangerous as it may sound. There are alot of places to go where you rarely will see others.
If you go to places like Shame, you just have calculate the risk. Don't go in your most expensive gear, it may take a little longer to kill the spawn, but the loot you get home should be worth more than what you may lose to PK's.
Most PK's seem to give you a little peace to hunt before they kill you Again, but there may be more than one evil hunting there.
Don't fear acceping a rez and stay polite. If you feel for trash talking your killer, try to do it in a RP way, if you don't want a rez kill and dry looting.

And yes, join NEW2, ask for me or one of the other TDO leaders. If on Trial account, you can't use gen chat, so ask a player if they will try to call us.

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Cool sounds good, im still workin on recoverin my old account information, as it would be kind of nice to see my old 12 year old account.. it would also be nice to not re-purchase stygian abyss and high seas. if it doesn't work out ill just start with a trial account. I came up with some more questions about siege/gameplay..
  • do scrolls of alacrity work any different on siege, considering that skill gains do?
  • how exactly is the rate over time skill increase applied, for instance, if all the skills of my template are 70. does only one raise one skill with the limit of 5 minutes between gains, if I gain .1 in tactics do I have to wait 5 minutes to gain .1 in resisting spells?
  • is 549.5 minutes a proper estimate for the amount of time it takes to legendary a skill on siege?
  • what entails the remaining 200% of the 300% damage increase (knowing the other 100% is based off items with damage increase)
  • with the skillset: 120 bushido 120 parry 100 magic resist 100 anatomy 100 healing 100 mace fighting 60 tactics (I understand its a bit low, but the 125 dexterity, 120 bushido, and 120 parry make for around a 40% of blocking which I like), would that be effective for both pvp and pvm on one character?
Once I finally log into the game I will either put out a message on the siege forum, or ask about [NEW2] in general chat, considering I have to renounce my young player status to even play on siege. hope to see yall soon, thanks again for all the help and gameplay strategies/tips

Last edited:

crossandmore

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Young status doesn't matter anymore these days,you can make a brand new account and character on SP right off the bat.And as far as damage output goes,I d really consider higher tactics to be able to use the combat moves.

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Young status doesn't matter anymore these days,you can make a brand new account and character on SP right off the bat.And as far as damage output goes,I d really consider higher tactics to be able to use the combat moves.
Ah, nice, so its both the weapon skill and tactics that factor in whether or not you can execute combat moves? I always thought it was just the weapon skill that depended on special attacks. I remember mages runnin around without tactics doin disarm, and other attacks depending on what weapon they used.

crossandmore

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Most are tactics/weapon skill based,but yes,wrestling mages have other requirements,also there is bushido/stealth/ninjitsu etc for some of the newer moves,and so on,and so on. But for the 'plain' weapon moves,its typically weaponskill 70/tactics 70 and wep 90/tac 90

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
is there a way to increase the skill cap 20? if not would it be better to drop healing/resist/anatomy to 90 to bring tactics up too 90?

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapon special moves do need real skill , you need 70 real tactics and weapon for first special and 90 for second special. However, bushido and ninja abilities dont need tactics or real weapon skill.

Since nobody did answer this
  • with the skillset: 120 bushido 120 parry 100 magic resist 100 anatomy 100 healing 100 mace fighting 60 tactics (I understand its a bit low, but the 125 dexterity, 120 bushido, and 120 parry make for around a 40% of blocking which I like), would that be effective for both pvp and pvm on one character?
Dexxers need 120 weapon skill. It does affect your chance to hit and to get hit. For a start, 110 or 115 will work .
90 tactics is basically needed, sometimes you get away with 70 or even no tactics, but thats situational and advanced rocket science anyway.
For pvp, people say its either 120 resist or none at all. For pvm you probably get away with about 80 to 90 in the worst cases.
Healing and anatomy . Hmm. 140 dex is needed for 4s bandage speed, with 125 its 5. Some changes to bandage healing have been made, you are able to cure poison after 50% bandage time and then still heal some amount after full time. Also at 120 healing you get 100% chance to cure lethal poison and to rezz other people.
Bushido/parry combination has a weak point , that is , once you got disarmed, your parry doesnt do anything anymore. Simple weapon/parry combination without bushido doesnt have this weakness. Strong point is, bushido/parry is best and most flexible for most of the hard pvm encounters.

Since you did ask about it, if you want to kill people that are worth killing (same skill and equip level) and be able to pvm very well with the same skillset, forget about that on siege.
The nice thing about UO on siege is, every template has a counter, and you cannot defend yourself against every possible template in all possible situations all the time.

My advice is , just come into the game again. A lot of stuff has been added or changed since you did leave. Watch and learn.UO on siege ruleset is probably the best balanced mmo around today.

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Weapon special moves do need real skill , you need 70 real tactics and weapon for first special and 90 for second special. However, bushido and ninja abilities dont need tactics or real weapon skill.

Since nobody did answer this

Dexxers need 120 weapon skill. It does affect your chance to hit and to get hit. For a start, 110 or 115 will work .
90 tactics is basically needed, sometimes you get away with 70 or even no tactics, but thats situational and advanced rocket science anyway.
For pvp, people say its either 120 resist or none at all. For pvm you probably get away with about 80 to 90 in the worst cases.
Healing and anatomy . Hmm. 140 dex is needed for 4s bandage speed, with 125 its 5. Some changes to bandage healing have been made, you are able to cure poison after 50% bandage time and then still heal some amount after full time. Also at 120 healing you get 100% chance to cure lethal poison and to rezz other people.
Bushido/parry combination has a weak point , that is , once you got disarmed, your parry doesnt do anything anymore. Simple weapon/parry combination without bushido doesnt have this weakness. Strong point is, bushido/parry is best and most flexible for most of the hard pvm encounters.

Since you did ask about it, if you want to kill people that are worth killing (same skill and equip level) and be able to pvm very well with the same skillset, forget about that on siege.
The nice thing about UO on siege is, every template has a counter, and you cannot defend yourself against every possible template in all possible situations all the time.

My advice is , just come into the game again. A lot of stuff has been added or changed since you did leave. Watch and learn.UO on siege ruleset is probably the best balanced mmo around today.
well klapauc, I definetly plan to be on very soon. getting account stuff straightened out with uo support now. I am gonna start a trial account when I borrow my neighbor's laptop too see whats up, but id like to at least get off to a good start. what I mean I guess with pvm/pvp is that id like to occasionally be able to go out and kill some monsters that don't yield 12 gold a pop, especially when I have to grind my skill to the level I journey for. I always liked both aspects of ultima, but was never in a great position for pvp till later on the other shards but it became so item-based that I got a bit disconcerted. I guess what I mean is if there was a equilibrium between pvp and my character was holdin the scale, id want to be more weighted on pvp, but with some ability to pvm when . from what I understand there is "soulstones," but I understand im not gonna start out with them ready to have whatever skill I need at a whim. I am patient, but id like to find a good foundation to get started. I always liked the gameplay of ultima, but I prefer to be frontline with a warrior or more weapon based class. I am speculating on skill to get a good idea of what to start with, I realize all the nice powerscrolls and whatnot aren't readily available, so its not as if I can expect the 120 skills immediately, but id like to work for a good staff-fighter a little more "geared or skilled" for pvp. my original plan was to start 50 resist/healing, and basically grind on what I can find.. skeletons or mongbats, slowly workin my way up the skill-chain, but if you have anymore opinions or suggestions id find it greatly helpful, preciate it, thank ye

Last edited:

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bo sees what you are trying to do with that template but it wont work with those skills set at those levels.
You must have 120 weapon skill and at least 90 tactics, and truthfully as someone else stated resist either 120 or 0, unless you plan on wearing jewels to bump up your skill. When the Bo usually plays this temp, it is something like this.
120 weapon, bushido, resist
90 heal, anat, tactics, parry
there are many variations of this template. but those skills at 90 are the minimum the Bo would run them at except for parry. Bo has taken parry sometimes to 80 and resist to 100 and bumped the others to 100..

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Bo sees what you are trying to do with that template but it wont work with those skills set at those levels.
You must have 120 weapon skill and at least 90 tactics, and truthfully as someone else stated resist either 120 or 0, unless you plan on wearing jewels to bump up your skill. When the Bo usually plays this temp, it is something like this.
120 weapon, bushido, resist
90 heal, anat, tactics, parry
there are many variations of this template. but those skills at 90 are the minimum the Bo would run them at except for parry. Bo has taken parry sometimes to 80 and resist to 100 and bumped the others to 100..
thanks bo bo, looks like that is what im gonna be what I am gonna go for when I finally get to return. cant wait.. once again, I appreciate all of yall's incite and advice in helpin me get an understandin before I jump back in this, and look forward to seein yall in game soon

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dust, let me know if you're interested in some minion work when you become active.

I won't steal the sense of accomplishment by giving you everything, but I can give you the chance to earn your way if you don't mind some deaths.

Had the last guy skin every corpse during a reptile champion spawn. Can walk you through Khaldun and have you work the puzzle boxes while I kill liches. That sort of thing.

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Dust, let me know if you're interested in some minion work when you become active.

I won't steal the sense of accomplishment by giving you everything, but I can give you the chance to earn your way if you don't mind some deaths.

Had the last guy skin every corpse during a reptile champion spawn. Can walk you through Khaldun and have you work the puzzle boxes while I kill liches. That sort of thing.
sounds good wulf2k, look forward to the work. gonna try to get ahold of a laptop here soon, as I believe I got most of the account info sorted out. im not sure if old vet rewards make a difference, but I asked the ultima "contact us" deal if linking accounts will make that stuff accessible on a trial account(which I kind of doubt, but I hope). it would be ideal to not have to purchase high seas and stygian abyss again, but I wouldn't be completely apposed to it. as for bein a gopher, the experience gained would be payment enough. I appreciate the offer, and hope to see yall soon