• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Herding -- need some info please

L

legs

Where can i get info about Herding? I checked uo.com, skills section, and found only very basic info.

I have the feeling it is readily available somewhere and i just can't find it! I did search stratics........

I

imported_Lundan

Hmm, what all would you like to know? It's a pretty simple skill. You double-click your crook, then target the animal you want to herd. You pass/fail based on your skill level and the animal's difficulty(How it's calculated, I have no clue). If you pass, you get a target cursor asking where you want the animal to go. You can either send the animal to a location, to another person, or to yourself. If you set it to yourself, it will follow you until you re-herd it. That's pretty much it. At 80% Herding, you can pretty much herd any animal with minimal fail. Going to 100% really isn't necessary. It's a decent skill, useful for pulling one animal away from a large group so you can tame it quietly. It's also good for pulling pranks, like getting every polar bear on Dagger Isle to follow you, then lead them into an open house and recalling out. Dunno if that would be considered grieving, but if it's a guildmate or friend, they'll prolly get a kick out of it.

I

imported_Sarphus

You can herd any creature that's tameable. The herding difficulty factors in the taming difficulty of the critter and the distance they are from you.

Creatures will break out of herding if they are attack or they attack something. For example, if you herd a bunch of cows and someone attacks them, they will leave your herd.

L

legs

Thank you thank you both.....

it was the ability to target another person, or myself, that eluded me......

thanks again....... i shall have some fun with this.....

G

If you're interested in training it, try searching the tamer's forum.

Though essentially training involves herding a horse to 60ish, then moving to gaman and finishing with wild cu sidhe from around 85-90
I just shifted up when the gains ran dry and it gained pretty fast.

You can herd anything which is tameable, but not the paragon versions of those critters.

Just double click crook, target the beast and target either yourself, the ground somewhere or another player or animal etc too. If you target yourself the animal will keep following you unless it fights, but with the others the beast will go to the target then start randomly wandering again.

Wenchy

G

You can't herd champ spawn in Ilsh or Tokuno, but you can in Fel. Which makes for fun situations.

I've had kirin chasing red chars through Delucia, drakes meeting folk coming through Fire dungeon, etc.

Herding 2 unicorns and 2 kirin to Fire lost lands entrance was major fun. When I got to the little bit of swamp I had to go through, they all took off in different directions after the serpents and toads.

Use it wisely though, 2 - 3 creatures is fun, and most people I know who encountered my 'herds' got as much fun out of it as I did. I never herded enough creatures to block movement and cause grief, just give a bit of a surprise.

G

I have a stealth shepherdess on Siege. It's more fun than a vat of whipping cream and 10 live weasles.

G

<blockquote><hr>

it was the ability to target another person, or myself, that eluded me......

thanks again....... i shall have some fun with this.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, that nearly drove me nuts trying to keep my herd together until another player explained target self to indicate they should follow you.

And if you are a tamer-mage-herder, you can have a lot of fun. Your herd cannot cross a gate, but you can work around that. What I do is tame a creature, gate it to where I want, and release it and add it to my herd. I do that until my herd is the size I want, then I march with my tame-release army. They auto target monsters and can be rather effective. Sure it takes a LOT of time and patience and isn't the most efficient way to do something necessarily but it can be fun. Keep in mind they will also auto target red players, so be careful with that. If you plan to herd inherently hostile creatures such as rune beetles, you will want hiding/stealth. I do not have hiding/stealth, and have only herded hostile creatures to make it easier to tame them, and I use invis spell/pots as needed then herd the selected creature right next to the tile where I am hidden away from other spawn, and begin taming (note that hiryus and such have a bad habit of revealing you). Some people really have mastered the patient art of herding meanies en masse.

I have only played on Siege, so I never worried about any "legal" aspects of creative herding, but I understand there are different rules on Trammel, and some things are considered "luring" so I have no idea how it applies there.

-Skylark

G

gothelder

<blockquote><hr>

I have only played on Siege, so I never worried about any "legal" aspects of creative herding, but I understand there are different rules on Trammel, and some things are considered "luring" so I have no idea how it applies there.

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a stealth herder on Sonoma. Makes for easier retrieval of fire beetles. Also more than once I have plugged the destard entrance with dragons (old style, have not tried the new ones) and when they manage to pop a Harrower in Destard I have been known to send dragons in as ill tempered cruise missiles.....

/I love the quote about a vat of whip cream and 10 weasles. It applies.

B

Belmarduk

I once herded about 70 horses through Old Haven stealthed.
I nearly died laughing about the reaction of the people there....

G

Indeed I can't wait for a red/neg karma person to come thrugh the gate.

G

Just tameables, but I haven't had a problem herding the tameble spawn at champs on siege.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmmm. wasn't it possible to let an animal follow another animal, so making a chain of animals ? If I remember right I did that a few years ago, but last time I tried it it didn't work anymore.
Why did they changed it ? And wasn't it also possible to make an animal follow another player ?

X

xxEvolusxx

<blockquote><hr>

Indeed I can't wait for a red/neg karma person to come thrugh the gate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering who did that! Given I am blue, but I did see someone's corpse!

G

I have our very own Nightingale of Siege to thank for the inspiration many years ago. Nothing like 60 low level animals charging thrugh a group of PvPers and when you add stealth and go for the high level critters the results are hilarious.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hmmmmm. wasn't it possible to let an animal follow another animal, so making a chain of animals ? If I remember right I did that a few years ago, but last time I tried it it didn't work anymore.
Why did they changed it ? And wasn't it also possible to make an animal follow another player ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I haven't done herding in close to a year, but I didn't have any trouble making a chain of animals following each other, with the leader following me.

That is kind of sad if they changed it...was fun being a Pied Piper.

@Willa: that single ki-rin (you in ninja form I presume?) in the group of essentially monochrome critters in your herd sticks out like a sore thumb. I hope you weren't going for camouflage against the snow in that situation because you blew your cover.

-Skylark

B

Bo Hica

This also makes a great red defense for Lord Oaks. Try to get about 50 or so ki-rins or uni's to follow you and go red hunting. LOL Most fun I had in a long time. Stealth Hiding Herding Magery Music Provo ftw.

G

This Thread has been moved my ass!!!
We need a herding slot in the UO profesions foum.
There is Gardner (not even a skill), Begger, fisher and cook. Bahh. Discrimination I say.