• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Help with Pinco's please!

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all,

after finally moving my equipment into the 21st century I can finally use the EC and Pinco's. While I still love the CC and will mostly use that one, I like doing grinding stuff like mining and so on with Pinco's.

So here's the Problem: after setting up my miner nicely this afternoon and being very happy with all the fancy macros and stuff, when I logged on again later it was ALL gone! Now I don't want to go through doing everything all over again and then loose it when I log off. Does anybody have an idea what I did wrong? I looked at the Pinco forum but couldn't find anything. And since our Forum here is always so helpful ...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You shouldn't lose anything provided you actually log off and not just quit.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah sounds like it didn't logout properly as Petra says. Don't be put off by this, stick with it. The Pinco UI is awesome one your setup!

Also you can download the "EC Profile Manager". This allows you to setup a char the way you want, then clone the layout etc to your other chars. Macros, hotbars everything.

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the EC crashes it'll also not save details, as apparently UI and Macro details are only written to the files during a normal exit. You can however back up, and outright clone the details between characters this way;

1.) Open Windows Explorer; navigate to here...

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\Ultima Online Account Name\Europa (or other shard)

2.) You'll see files with each of your characters names. Copy the file with your macros so far, and move it one level up, to the Shard Name level.

3.) . From there, you can rename them to another character's name, and then move it back. Over-write the file and that character will now have an identical set up.... resolution, icon layout, macro list.... Later, when you've got individual characters, copy their profiles as above to make back ups of their unique set ups.

4.) Macro list is unique per character. What happens when you want a pretty complex macro for an individual character which is on one, and you don't want to set it up again on another, nor copy the entire file over and change their layouts etc? Well the files are just disguised .txt, so you can right click any, select Open, and use Notepad to get inside. The parts you want to copy are listed between the <useraction> </useraction> tabs. For instance, a macro called "Fishing (Lava)" which has no key binding, which casts into Lava using a Lava Baited Hook, then delays 8 seconds (the fishing time) so it casts as soon as the rod is usable again, and repeats the whole macro 10 times, with lots and lots of individual casts looks like this;

<UserAction type="Macro" id="38" iconId="855918" name="Fishing (Lava)" repeatEnabled="true" repeatCount="10" binding="">
<UserAction type="TargetByResource" id="0" iconId="770" targetType="Cursor" targetByResourceObjectId="230623699" targetByResourceObjectType="6" targetByResourceCategory="3" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" iconId="623" targetType="Cursor" delay="8.00" />
<UserAction type="TargetByResource" id="0" iconId="770" targetType="Cursor" targetByResourceObjectId="230623699" targetByResourceObjectType="6" targetByResourceCategory="3" />
<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" iconId="623" targetType="Cursor" delay="8.00" />
</UserAction>

That's normally enough to exhaust a complete Lava Hook. Just copy and paste the entire thing into any characters file in the macro section of the text and now they have it too. What if you want to keep on fishing that lava? You can extend it further by copying and pasting a group of macros; in the above case <UserAction is indicating where each one starts, and there's two we want, the Delay and the Cast, so you'd copy between <UserAction type="TargetByResouce" up to delay="8.00"> and then just clone it again and again to extend it to ridiculous lengths of lava fishing without having to slowly set up each macro and the delay time by hand in the game itself...

Last edited:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello all,

thanks for all the advise, but unfortunately nothing changed. Whenever I log in, Pinco's starts as if it is the first time I use it: everything I set up before is gone, it has all the first time windows doing their thing and all. I can only assume that it has something to do with Windows 8 and the files not being stored or accessed as they should be. But even running Pinco's in compatibility mode doesn't help: when I run it under Windows 7 it's got the same problems, under Windows XP SP3 it won't even patch.

Guess I have to file a bug report ....

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just downloaded the UI again and put it in the EC Folder (the stuff was there before, but you never know ..). But alas the result is the same: no settings are remembered, every time I start the EC it's a like I never played it before.

I now tried the default UI as well and the result is actually the same. So it's not a Pinco's problem, but something in general ... *sighs* ... I guess it's Windows 8 acting up and I just have to see if more people have the same issues and there will be a solution for it one day.

Thanks y'all for trying to help!

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you upgrade your PC to Windows 8, or have you reinstalled everything on to a Windows 8 machine?

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a brand new computer with a brand new Windows 8 on it ... and it's giving me a headache ... maybe it knows that I like the CC more anyway ... IT'S ALIVE!!

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting, but unfortunately doesn't help with my problem.

I tried everything I can think of: run the program as administrator (doing that anyway), and now turned off the UAC (User Action Control or something like that) but still no joy :(

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Struggling a bit since I don't have Windows 8 (or 7 for that matter) but still, this may be worth a look.

FAQ - Windows Compatibility Center

App questions
What is the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter?
Windows 8 provides a set of compatibility modes that lets you run some apps written for earlier versions of Windows. Many apps written for Windows 7 will also work for Windows 8, but some older apps might run poorly or not at all. If an older app doesn't run correctly, you can use the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter to apply compatibility modes of earlier versions of Windows, which may address the issue. To run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter:
  • From the Start screen, type 'Control Panel', click on the Control Panel tile, click on Programs, and then click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.
  • Follow the instructions in the troubleshooter.

I fear that may be more about actual 'running' than saving settings, but maybe......

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm re-writing this post because as soon as I made it, I realised there would be a problem before the one I was thinking about; what ever UI you're in, your changes should be saved... IF you log out as normal through the menus and don't just hit the X to close the screen. So your EC folder may be write-protected, as Windows increasingly locks down it's security settings.

Do a file search for one of your character's names; it won't be in the same location I mentioned if you're on Windows 8, as My Documents has become Documents. It could be in there now, but it may not be. When you've found the folder, make sure write-protection (Read Only off, Write On) for the Europa folder it's in is disabled

Windows 8: Take Ownership Of Files &amp; Change Folder Permissions

Give both Pinco and Ultima Online Administrator settings. When you come to start it, do the following;

Beginner: How to Run an Application as Administrator in Windows 8 - How-To Geek

You don't need to launch with the Pinco UI patcher unless patching the UI itself, but you want the UI to be enabled, in game use Esc > User Settings > Options > Scroll down to Use Custom UI and switch it to Pinco.

It could be a Windows incompatibility as well, this is the problem of buying a new version of Windows not long after launch, most of the software isn't patched for it and, if that version doesn't take off, may never be (Vista and ME both had driver issues for their entire support life). If you wanted out-of-the-box usability, Windows 7 would have been a better buy... I'm still on WinXP as it's the most common gaming platform, and I don't have new enough hardware to worry about going over 4gb RAM...

Last edited:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I tried about everything now: making sure that every single file I can think off is not read-only, running everything as administrator, etc., etc. It's only the EC having these problems, CC is fine. So I give up for now. There might be a solution in the future.

Thanks for all your kind advise though, I certainly learned a lot!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not giving up yet; Here's one of my profiles from EC, download it, rename it to the exact name of one of your characters and overwrite the file in the Europa folder, make the file Read Only so it can't be changed, and load the game as that character, tell me if you get my macros, and whether they are saved;

Aron Swordmaster

If they do, I can create a character folder for you, with the macros you want, and then we can sneak around it that way.

Alas Windows 8, being an entirely new engine, dropped WinXP compatibility mode, but there is a work around you can try; You'll need your old, valid WinXP key though...

Windows 8 XP Mode? - LockerGnome

Last edited:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am in total awe!!!! Adol finally found out what was going wrong and sorted it out ... he is the man!! *bows*

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was waiting in alliance chat to mug him, whilst playing FTL in the background :p After listening to what exactly he could see, it seemed the 2d account files had been copied to the EC folder, and as they are a different format (Folder of character name, sub files within - compared to single text file of character name for EC) I guessed it was breaking EC's attempts to read or save the profile... clearing the entire Europa folder allowed him to load my profile above, and keep it... so a lucky guess it was ;)

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah, you're just clever and know things ... I never had any idea what was supposed to be in those folders, so it didn't dawn to me that what actually was there was wrong. Now I am a happy miner again ... *jigs*