• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help with Greater Dragon

• Thread starter Touchstone
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
T

Touchstone

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there were any tamers that are/will be on today that could get a greater dragon for me, or have an extra one in the stables? I definately wouldnt be able to tame my own.

Also, what is the minimal taming/lore skill needed to control one pretty well? I can get around 110/115 with jewels.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it! I will be on most of the day.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok standing in Luna with one for you....

Character name is Rellik....the dragon is red...I am near stables

he isn't bad either 3.6 stars out of 4 on the pet power calculator!

T

Touchstone

Hey TW sorry I went to shower and clean up, I am in Luna now, character is Misty Nightblade, I'll just be hangin out here.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...TimberWolf...you don't seem to miss a call for help these days. *holds up a mug of ale* "Here's to you friend". :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...TimberWolf...you don't seem to miss a call for help these days. *holds up a mug of ale* "Here's to you friend". :)

I have been pretty fortunate and met some great people in this game...so I don't mind giving back....besides solo taming 2 grt dragons in under 15 mins is a good challenge!

But for the record I am still an A$$hole....and I don't want anyone to forget it!

:gee:

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just built my first tamer character since 1998 (name: McBykar). And this morning, I reached skill 83 (with jewelry 107). So I went straight to Destard to tame myself a Greater Dragon, without any help.

I had fought the Greater Dragon many times, all by myself. Which is a good preparation and training for taming one. It helped me to study Dragon behavior and weaknesses. This is how I did it, without dying. It took me about 20 minutes:

• Equip a Dragon Slayer spellbook.
  • Single out a Greater Dragon and lower its health with E-Bolts until it is almost dead.
  • Tame it, and while you do that, avoid getting hit by its claws.
  • Eventually it will heal back up. You will notice because its fireballs will hurt more. Lower its health again.
  • Continue until you succeed.

It really isn't too difficult. Good armor, decent mana regeneration and high magery/meditation/eval int skills will help.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tame them by using the honor virtue, that way they don't even attack me. When I honor myself and I can try to tame them 8-11 times before my honor runs out. Mind you I try and keep my honor very high just so I can do this.

T

Turdnugget

I thought the pet power calc was out of 5 stars?

If it's 4 then my bake kitsunes must be godly as they're rated at 4.1 and 4.2 =)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought the pet power calc was out of 5 stars?

If it's 4 then my bake kitsunes must be godly as they're rated at 4.1 and 4.2 =)

Gee I guess it depends on which one you use or maybe I can't count!....go figure :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Listen to Vallend....Honor is your friend...I have tamed 6-7 grts the last few days....and have not died....and have been attacked twice!

M

Moonwynd

Listen to Vallend....Honor is your friend...I have tamed 6-7 grts the last few days....and have not died....and have been attacked twice!
This is good to know. So I read the link about Honor but what does it mean under Gaining Honor --"target an appropriate opponent"? Do they have to be in same guild? Or do you have to do this in Fel?

Anyway, Congrats, Hawkeye, on your new tamer and taming your first greater dragon first time without dieing!! An awesome feat, I am sure! And thanks for your taming guide on how you tamed your first greater dragon. I'm training a new tamer, too, so this is all very helpful information. Cheers! :cheerleader:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Training honor on a tamer is a slow process. It is kind of like farming fame in that it is something you need to do regularly or it will decay.

You use the honor gump and honor a monster. ( something you can handle...) then you allow your mount to feast on it's bones.

If you do it correctly you will get a message saying you have gained honor after the creature dies.

Basically any monster that you can farm for fame you can farm for honor.

The monster has to be undamaged before you honor it and it must have a clear path to you.

When you have gained enough honor you can honor yourself ( target yourself with the honor target cursor) this will cause all monster immediately surrounding you to ignore you for a few moments.

At this point you can then tame the beast without fear of attack.

You get a message saying you have no longer invoked honor when the protection wears off.

There is a 5 minute timer between invoking honor on yourself.

Now here is the snag....you pretty much have to do this away from others.
The beast will still aggro to anyone in the area, and if aggressive when you get the taming message, you will then immediately get the message saying this beast is too angry to continue taming. Then you have to start all over.

For a highly aggressive monster like a grt dragon you might get 3-4 tame attempts at "Follower of Honor" before your honor wears out. Then you have to wait out the timer....and if you are unlucky your honor can drop to "seeker" which will give you a single attempt.

It can be a little tricky. I had a stranger interrupt one of my taming sessions just the other night. Even though I asked him politely to please leave the area, he insisted on wanting to help. I think he was honestly trying to help, thinking I could use his help casting greater heals. Unfortunately the Grt Dragon I was attempting to tame kept aggroing on him and his pet.

I wasted an entire honor sequence getting the message that the "creature was too angry to continue taming." Finally after repeated pleas from me for him to leave the area, I got my friend the GRT he wanted. But it was quite stressful because I knew I was getting close to dropping to "seeker" and not wanting to loose this Dragon.

There are many ways to tame high end pets.....this one has it's frustrations at time...but I like it.

T

Turdnugget

You can set up a macro for invoke honor as well. In your macro drop down there is one called Invoke Virtue... then to the right another dropdown, choose honor.

Do that and you can honor anything and everything.

If you're already pretty much skilled out you can go kill succubus or ice fiends. They give lots of honor quickly. Once you get to follower +. It takes longer.

But you can drop them fast enough with the right charater that you gain honor quick and painless (for the most part)

M

Moonwynd

Just wanted to say Thanks, guys! for all the info. I tried it and it is working! I'm gaining Honor on my tamer! Not much there yet. It says, I've "barely just begun" on my path, :) . Got me macro set, so should be fun. Thanks, again!! :thumbup1:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to say Thanks, guys! for all the info. I tried it and it is working! I'm gaining Honor on my tamer! Not much there yet. It says, I've "barely just begun" on my path, :) . Got me macro set, so should be fun. Thanks, again!! :thumbup1:

You are welcome Moonwynd, glad we could be of service.

If you ever do go out to try to solo...send me a pm, I will show you a few of the better spots and a few tricks.