Help with goza placement.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Liège, Belgium
I read everywhere that gozas are the best thing since sliced bread.
Fine.
The problem is I can't seem to do any of those great things people post pictures here, so here goes:

1° How can you raise a goza? I can't raise it while placed and if I try to place one on top of any object, it goes under the object, right on the floor.

2° I'd like to create a stage for my workshop, so I tried the 'chop the stairs' trick as explained in the sticky. Well... it appears I can't chop stairs off, how are those spiral stairs done then?

That will be enough questions for now, I suspect some things explained in the stickies do not work anymore. If they do, I'll go on from the answers I'll get here :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
There are basically three kinds of goza mats. Well, there are actually 9 but the difference in those is just facings and brocade/plain.

Anyways, you have the two tile goza mat which is useless for raising, then the one tile square goza that comes with a plain border or brocade style border, then you have the newest goza addition which should be last in the menu, which is also a square goza that has no borders.

The borderless square goza slips under things, the square goza either brocade or plain bordered style does not, both of these can be raised but typically people use the one with the border to do deco stuff (IE place goza mat, raise ten times, place item on it, chop goza). If you want to make a smooth stage platform you can just go ahead and use the last item in the misc menu, the square goza.

These gozas also do not have depth, so in order to create depth for your stage you may want to place the stage, then any of the edges that show to the south or west you will place a black goza on top of the stage goza then use your dec tool to lower the goza ones time. This creates a shadow using the black goza.

Aaaand my dog is noisily cleaning herself under my chair. Gross.

Ok sorry. For the spiral stairs it's a bit more complicated. If you still don't get it after reading this thread then I can try to do another write up for you. It should be pretty comprehensive though.

Time to make dinner! Good luck!

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Liège, Belgium
All right, things are getting better :)

I managed to raise those gozas and create a stage with them right at the same level as 'chopped stairs' using the erased teleporters trick.

All is well, besides my second floor, just on top of the stairs leading to my stage: there's a whole in the ground and I can't build any form of bridge to cover that whole.

Pictures:

This is the first floor with the stage, without the gozas, you get the picture.

And this is the second floor showing the orange tiles right on top of the stairs

I'm pretty sure this problem is trivial for you.
For me, it is not :stretcher:

T

Tay M'real

I read everywhere that gozas are the best thing since sliced bread.
Fine.
The problem is I can't seem to do any of those great things people post pictures here, so here goes:

1° How can you raise a goza? I can't raise it while placed and if I try to place one on top of any object, it goes under the object, right on the floor.

2° I'd like to create a stage for my workshop, so I tried the 'chop the stairs' trick as explained in the sticky. Well... it appears I can't chop stairs off, how are those spiral stairs done then?

That will be enough questions for now, I suspect some things explained in the stickies do not work anymore. If they do, I'll go on from the answers I'll get here :)
1. Use 'interior decorator tool' to raise and lower - place it and then raise it. These can be purchased from NPC

2. Make sure you're using 2d client - doesn't work in EC

T

Tay M'real

All right, things are getting better :)

I managed to raise those gozas and create a stage with them right at the same level as 'chopped stairs' using the erased teleporters trick.

All is well, besides my second floor, just on top of the stairs leading to my stage: there's a whole in the ground and I can't build any form of bridge to cover that whole.

Pictures:

This is the first floor with the stage, without the gozas, you get the picture.

And this is the second floor showing the orange tiles right on top of the stairs

I'm pretty sure this problem is trivial for you.
For me, it is not :stretcher:
all staires (even when you chop them) must have an opening above them

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Liège, Belgium
Ah! an opening...
Mmh... what would be a good choice to hide that hole, a wall just in front, stone tables, 2 tiles chests... I'll toy with that tomorrow eventually but it's not fun falling through that opening that isn't supposed to exist :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
Hrm, I think with the goza mats raised up 5 times you will be bumping your head on the ceiling - the stage won't be usable if the gozas are too high and the ceiling is right there. So you might have to ditch the whole floor above the stage area (the 4 x 3 area). You could bring the outer walls in, or leave it as a hole and stick up banisters or whatever to make it safe to be around.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
Ok raising gozas four times you can clear the ceiling, however if you use that shortest wooden wall tile the goza mat directly above it is too low to walk on top of, and the goza mat hangs over the edge anyways.

There are shorter edges though...if you go to "Miscellaneous" (the arch on the left side) then go to "Miscellaneous roof edging". The second example is very similar to what you used, but if you look closely you can see that it is just a little bit shorter.

Now this means you only have a 1 x 3 hole above you to deal with. There are various things you can do, like lock down stuff on top of it when there is a floor there, then put the stairs back on the ground floor.

BTW just gave it a shot and you fall thru carpet tiles, so thats no good. Though that could be really fun for someone building a maze, have a floor covered in carpet but random holes for people to drop down thru...hrm...

Sorry! Ok what else you can do...here I put up walls with peeky windows and then put in some greenery (ugly, but I don't have plants on test center). So you'll have to imagine pretty snowdrops and campions and maybe a little tree in the middle etc.

Miriandel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Liège, Belgium
Thanx, everything went smoothly, excepted that each time I have to customize my house all gozas go to the moving crate, which means I have to do it all over again :rant2:

I just built a 7 tiles long stone table for my new laboratory and, unfortunately, it's even worse, the table pieces simply vanish which means I have to craft new tables each time I customize.

Mmhh.... I think i'll get the whole thing finalized in my head before playing with the gozas, all that stuff is fun and all, but we're really pushing it far here :mf_prop:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 25, 2001
Austin baby!
Thanx, everything went smoothly, excepted that each time I have to customize my house all gozas go to the moving crate, which means I have to do it all over again :rant2:

I just built a 7 tiles long stone table for my new laboratory and, unfortunately, it's even worse, the table pieces simply vanish which means I have to craft new tables each time I customize.

Mmhh.... I think i'll get the whole thing finalized in my head before playing with the gozas, all that stuff is fun and all, but we're really pushing it far here :mf_prop:
Theres nothing that can be done about the goza mats, if you don't need to get into that area then just save them till you're totally done customizing, but as for the tables if you lock down each different piece before you go into customize mode they will stay. I think it resets each day, so just lock em down each time to be on the safe side.