• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help! Who is the speaker of this Poem????

G

Radio Thin Air by Nick Flynn

Keep the radio on softly
So it sounds like two people in the next
Room, maybe
Your parents, speaking calmly about something
Important—a lack
Of cash, the broken
Cellar pump. Marconi believed
We are wrapped in voices, that waves
Never die, merely space themselves
Farther & farther apart,
Passing through the ether he imagined
Floating the planets. But wander
Into the kitchen & no one
will be there, the tiny red eye of the radio, songs
That crawl through walls,
Voices pulled from air. Marconi
Wanted to locate the last song
The band on the deck of the Titanic played,
What Jesus said
On the cross, he kept dialing
The frequency, staring across the Atlantic,
His ear to the water,
There, can you hear it?

The question is Who is the speaker of the poem?

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

I really do not know, but my guess is: Carl Sagan
He did something similar on his show 'COSMOS'.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

The writer is Nick Flynn. The question is who is the speaker in the poem. After determining whom the speaker is, I have to write an essay on the speaker.

I don’t believe there is a wrong answer. It’s your interpretation of the poem.

I

imported_Goron

well, lets look at it line by line.
<font color="red">Keep the radio on softly </font>Obviously 'radio' is just poet speak for the noises made during sexual intercourse - so for some reason the speaker needs to be quiet while bangin'
<font color="red">So it sounds like two people in the next </font>Ah, be quiet to place the blame on others?
<font color="red">Room, maybe</font>Blaming people next door? lets see why...
<font color="red">Your parents, speaking calmly about something</font>ahh, because the parents are nearby, talking...
<font color="red">Important—a lack</font> they are talking about something important, a lack of something important.
<font color="red">Of cash, the broken </font>cash... of course, they are low on cash, and something is broken.
<font color="red">Cellar pump. Marconi believed </font>The cellar pump is broken, and they dont have the cash to fix it. Marconi, could this be the same marconi that helped pioneer the development of the radio? It must be - but since we know 'radio' is poet speak for making love, 'Marconi', in this case, must be a reference to a pimp. Now this pimp has strong convictions and blieved...
<font color="red">We are wrapped in voices, that waves</font>that we are always surrounded by the urge for sexual intercourse ('voices' from the 'radio')
<font color="red">Never die, merely space themselves </font>and these urges never go away... they just get held back-
<font color="red">Farther &amp; farther apart, </font>for longer and longer periods of time.
<font color="red">Passing through the ether he imagined </font>through a magical world of free love that the pimp thougth up
<font color="red">Floating the planets. But wander </font>keeping our universe in sync - but sometimes have other effects
<font color="red">Into the kitchen &amp; no one </font>coloser to home, in our personal lives but, no one...
<font color="red">will be there, the tiny red eye of the radio, songs </font>is actually in this magical free love univserse (because it doesn;t exsist). The small portion of our lives that is actually occupied by sex, the act of sex
<font color="red">That crawl through walls, </font> that does get into our lives
<font color="red">Voices pulled from air. Marconi </font>that act of sex is was pulled from down the street (by the pimp). The pimp...
<font color="red">Wanted to locate the last song </font>wants to turn one last trick
<font color="red">The band on the deck of the Titanic played, </font>A wicked trick that was doomed to failure
<font color="red">What Jesus said </font> I have no idea how this line fits in.
<font color="red">On the cross, he kept dialing </font> The pimp was being sacraficed (maybe a snitch turned him in?), so he kept looking for that trick
<font color="red">The frequency, staring across the Atlantic, </font>but by golly, he looked far and wide for the trick
<font color="red">His ear to the water, </font>and listened.
<font color="red">There, can you hear it?</font> and then he found the trick - it was the speaker.

Easy answer: the speaker is the prostitute getting being forced to do work in her(or maybe his) own house, next door to her/his parents, because she/he wants to hook them up with money to fixe a pump. Gosh, anyone coulda answered that easily.

G

1). Sounds like the Stratics Siege Perilous forum to me...

voices blathering thru the ether over and over again
rinse repeat same old same voices caught in the ether
traveling the speed of sound
rolling echoing sound waves
tide rolls in tide rolls out
voices blathering
traveling the speed of sound
for all eternity
can ya hear em
echoing throughout all time
unchanged, whines
unchanged, cheers/geers
unchanged, opinions
positive negative, both
can ya hear em/us ?

-------------------

2).How can one determine whom the speaker is ?

What any one heard said,
how old is the sound wave
how old are those voices

where are the words coming from ?

what time or space or even planet or galaxy

whom is speaking as sound waves
voices travel thru the universe
echoing as they travel their journey
through the ages of time and space
voices traveling the speed of sound
across the airwaves of, time ?

You may hear it today
I may have heard it 20 yrs ago
Moses may have heard it centuries ago
and someone yet to be born
will hear it spoken in the future,
in sound wave that same message spoken,
traveled o'ver speed of sound
centuries from now.
We have entered the twilight zone.

--------
3). or just do an essay on Queen singing Radio Gahgah

M

Maleeka

This poem is from a collection of poems by Nick Flynn called Some Ether. The poems were about his difficult childhood and his mother's suicide. He is the "narrator". Marconi is referring to Guglielmo Marconi who is known for developing the radiotelegraph system...beginning the experiments in his home and finally moving outside and successfully transmitting across the Atlantic. The two radio operators on the Titanic were employed by Marconi International Communication Company.

Does any of that help?

N

Nerf-Herder

You got all of that from watching Jeopardy didn't ya?

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

The writer is Nick Flynn. The question is who is the speaker in the poem. After determining whom the speaker is, I have to write an essay on the speaker.

I don’t believe there is a wrong answer. It’s your interpretation of the poem.

[/ QUOTE ]Essay for a writing class? I sure you come up with your own idea!
Try walking throughout all eternity then look into a mirror for example.
Do that freewriting!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

No she got all that from living in Nebraska, its where all the really smart people set up residence!

M

Maleeka

<blockquote><hr>

No she got all that from living in Nebraska, its where all the really smart people set up residence!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT *smiles*