• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

help to play uo

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi, i got windows 7 just after christmas and have not been able to play uo ever since. initially it seemed to be that it just wouldnt patch but now after uninstalling and re installing i double click the shortcut and it shows loading but never appears. if i try again it will say an instance of uo is already running when it clearly isnt. tried my own tech support and they cant make it work and suggest that uo is incompatable with uo which i find hard to believe. ive tried sugggestions from many friends using admin log in etc. i cannot justify paying for summat i cant use and uo tech help frankly isnt any help. will be sad to go but will give friends login details when i go so all the nice stuff finds a good home. help please:eyes:

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi, i got windows 7 just after christmas and have not been able to play uo ever since. initially it seemed to be that it just wouldnt patch but now after uninstalling and re installing i double click the shortcut and it shows loading but never appears. if i try again it will say an instance of uo is already running when it clearly isnt. tried my own tech support and they cant make it work and suggest that uo is incompatable with uo which i find hard to believe. ive tried sugggestions from many friends using admin log in etc. i cannot justify paying for summat i cant use and uo tech help frankly isnt any help. will be sad to go but will give friends login details when i go so all the nice stuff finds a good home. help please:eyes:
You need to run UO as administrator - right click on the icon, and it should be the second option down. It will not run just double clicking like you used to in 98/XP.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need to run UO as administrator - right click on the icon, and it should be the second option down. It will not run just double clicking like you used to in 98/XP.
This should fix your issue.

I will add that you can right click on the UO icon, choose properties. Next select the compatibility tab. Down at the bottom you will see Privilege Level, check this box and apply. This way you will be able to just double click the icon and play like on Win XP. This will work for any application you need to start in administration mode.

Good luck!

The House of Mowbray

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi, i got windows 7 just after christmas and have not been able to play uo ever since. initially it seemed to be that it just wouldnt patch but now after uninstalling and re installing i double click the shortcut and it shows loading but never appears.

This could be a problem with your graphics card Lucy. Can you post your machines specs?

Also did you just upgrade to Win 7 over the top of your existing Windows version [likely to be Vista], or was it a clean wipe then install of a full version?

The reason why I ask this is I had a similar problem with another game when I upgraded from Vista 64 to Win 7 64. I had to update most of my drivers because the game was actually running in the back ground and I had the same error "an instance of blah blah is already running" etc.

The not patching could be to do with your firewall or anti virus software. I use Norton 360 and had to clean reinstall/update after the Win 7 install to get my internet/game clients working properly.

Also one last thing, have you checked to make sure the game has put your user data and client files in the right place?.

Char data should be in - C:\Users\insert Administrators name here\Documents\EA Games

Your client if using 2D should be in - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games

And not in this one - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts which is for the enhanced client.

Appologies if you have already done all of these things [your post doesn't say much about what you have tried]. I just thought the issues I had and the solutions that worked for me might be of some help to you :)

Good luck and don't lose heart, there IS a solution for you out there somewhere!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Also one last thing, have you checked to make sure the game has put your user data and client files in the right place?.

Char data should be in - C:\Users\insert Administrators name here\Documents\EA Games

Your client if using 2D should be in - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games

And not in this one - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts which is for the enhanced client.
If she did a fresh download the 2D client will show up in the same folder as the Enhanced Client. It will be in a folder called Stygian Abyss Classic.

Additionally if you are using an Nvidia card re-install the driver, they released a bad driver update a bit back.. not saying that's the problem but it can't hurt to check!

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Lucy,

I am running Uo on Windows 7 since its launch and it works well. here is what I did :

1. find the UO folder, right click on client.exe and select "properties".
2. Go in the Compatibility Tab, check "Run as administrator" (you already did that part).
3. I also selected the option to run it in compatibility mode with Windows XP service pack .
4. You not only need to do this for client.exe but also for uo.exe and uopatch.exe

Regards,

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thankyou to all of you for your posts. nothing seemed to work but yesterday i sat down and tried time after time, it then picked up a patch and i was in. experimenting seems to show that at perceived (my perception) quiet times ie early morning and late at night i cant get in. apart from that it doesnt seem to patch:love:

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its still not imperfect. i can only log on at about 0930 cet, could there be any reason for that?