• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

help me decide ;_;

Which Pet?

• valorite lesser hiryu - 1slot

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • 430str - 255HP - Platinum Frost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 426str - 258HP - Platinum Poison

• 397str - 239HP - Firesteed

• 400str - 236HP - Firesteed

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 363str - 183HP - Lion(with healing ability)

• 319str - 202HP - Kirin

• 450str - 382HP - Tsuki (200dex)

• 1040int - 480HP - Serpentine (204dex)

• Reptalon - 2slot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DDesire

Adventurer
So I am a returning player and my pockets are pretty empty, I want to choose one pet to buy 120PS for and have it be "teh" pet for me.
My problem :gee: is that I hate using common pets that I see all over (nightmares and Cus)
But I still want it to be a good pet that can do almost everything.

1 slot:
valorite lesser hiryu - don't remember the stats(bonding)

2 slots:
Reptalon - don't remember the stats(bonding)
430str - 255HP - Platinum Frost
426str - 258HP - Platinum Poison
397str - 239HP - Firesteed
400str - 236HP - Firesteed
363str - 183HP - Lion(with healing ability)
319str - 202HP - Kirin

3 slots:
450str - 382HP - Tsuki (200dex)
1040int - 480HP - Serpentine (204dex)

Oh and mind you my template has 0 focus/meditation so don't count on consume etc.
thanks for any input at all.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good Evening DD, On the list above I think you would enjoy the lesser hiryu spec with armor ignore and chiv... because they start as one slot they normally end with 800ish hp and 800ish mana.. The combo of Grasp claw , ai , and chiv is just all around amazing and allows the pet to solo most things other pets have trouble with.. I made mine way back and always enjoy a good peerless boss or roof with it... I normally go 20, 9, 30 for regens on them ... the 9 stam regen along with 120 focus helps counter the recoil of ene of one.. They are one of the best sustain burst single target pets in the game... they are weak in aoe.. only bringing holy light to the table.. doing 15-25 damage to no boss lvl monster and much much less to boss lvls.. but the also bring a debuff to what ever you are fightings attack and phy rs, they remove all poisons / debuffs, and heal for 50-70 at 120 chiv...ya should make a copy over to test and give the spec a whirl with all 120s and see if it fits your play style... I bet ya will enjoy those 250-380 armor ignores ^_~ If ya have any question about the spec.. orthe pet feel free to post, message me, or ask in any way.. hope this helps mate =^-^=

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I am a returning player and my pockets are pretty empty, I want to choose one pet to buy 120PS for and have it be "teh" pet for me.
Honestly. 120 Tactics is not worth the cost for the gain received. A 115 or even 110 pet is sufficient. Same with anatomy.

Base damage of a 115 tactics/anat 700 str pet is 109 low end 150 high end PRERESISTS
Base damage of a 120 tactics/anat 700 str pet is 110 low end 152 high end PRERESISTS

when you add in say 50 resists, that difference in low end damage ends up being .5 damage and 1 point of high end.

So you are investing 70-90+m in scrolls for a 1 damage difference in hits. Str is more important in determining pet damage.

You see similar results with focus and meditation. MR is far more important than either of those.

I would instead take that money and buy two sets of lower scrolls for 2 different damage type pets, because a tamer will want more than 1 damage type pet. (try farming greater dragons with a fire steed, etc)

Most important scroll to buy 120 of is wrestling.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good Evening DD, On the list above I think you would enjoy the lesser hiryu spec with armor ignore and chiv... because they start as one slot they normally end with 800ish hp and 800ish mana.. The combo of Grasp claw , ai , and chiv is just all around amazing and allows the pet to solo most things other pets have trouble with.. I made mine way back and always enjoy a good peerless boss or roof with it... I normally go 20, 9, 30 for regens on them ... the 9 stam regen along with 120 focus helps counter the recoil of ene of one.. They are one of the best sustain burst single target pets in the game... they are weak in aoe.. only bringing holy light to the table.. doing 15-25 damage to no boss lvl monster and much much less to boss lvls.. but the also bring a debuff to what ever you are fightings attack and phy rs, they remove all poisons / debuffs, and heal for 50-70 at 120 chiv...ya should make a copy over to test and give the spec a whirl with all 120s and see if it fits your play style... I bet ya will enjoy those 250-380 armor ignores ^_~ If ya have any question about the spec.. orthe pet feel free to post, message me, or ask in any way.. hope this helps mate =^-^=
Which order do you add the Grasping Claw, AI and Chiv?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It will come pre loaded with claw, you want to make sure to add armor ignore before chiv.. or chiv will take up the slot and you will lose the option.. =^-~=

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok I'm always questioning the order since most times I chose wrong and mess it up.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1 slot:

2 slots:
319str - 202HP - Kirin

3 slots:
Also, resists are just as important as str/hits for determining the quality of a pet.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
My problem :gee: is that I hate using common pets that I see all over (nightmares and Cus)
But I still want it to be a good pet that can do almost everything.

1 slot:

2 slots:
319str - 202HP - Kirin

3 slots:

Oh and mind you my template has 0 focus/meditation so don't count on consume etc.
thanks for any input at all.
I too like non-standard pets. I personally hate Cu's because EVERYONE uses them and claim they are the only pet a tamer should have. Bleh!

Honestly, any one of those pets you listed would make a great pet. I would say pick the pet you have the best personal attachment too, and if you roleplay or get into character at all, the one that fits best with your character story. As long as you follow the basic training guides (150 stam/dex, 700 str, regens, resist spread, etc.), just about any pet is perfectly viable.

I really wish the devs would remove the innnate Healing ability of Cu's, Lions, etc., as I feel it makes some players feel pigeonholed into choosing only those pets for that ability... (I'm sure many would disagree with me though, who are members of the "Church of the Cu Sidhe" :D)

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Never hurts to ask question when it comes to order and such.. always best to be sure then to have a poor pet have to go the way of old yellar .. hehe =^-~=

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I too like non-standard pets. I personally hate Cu's because EVERYONE uses them and claim they are the only pet a tamer should have. Bleh!
I was training nightmares and legacy pets before it was "cool"~ (back when people were releasing them in luna)

Nightmares suck, stop training them people!

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I know that feeling, my caster bane is still one of my favorite spawn clearing pets.. Just love riding into an area and seeing goo, and the passive melt everything..only 650 hp .. but the passive negates soo much damage.. plus.. it looks amazing in EC.. kind of like a black cucumber in CC.. but I can live with that.... =^-^=

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Honestly. 120 Tactics is not worth the cost for the gain received. A 115 or even 110 pet is sufficient. Same with anatomy.

Base damage of a 115 tactics/anat 700 str pet is 109 low end 150 high end PRERESISTS
Base damage of a 120 tactics/anat 700 str pet is 110 low end 152 high end PRERESISTS

when you add in say 50 resists, that difference in low end damage ends up being .5 damage and 1 point of high end.

So you are investing 70-90+m in scrolls for a 1 damage difference in hits. Str is more important in determining pet damage.

You see similar results with focus and meditation. MR is far more important than either of those.

I would instead take that money and buy two sets of lower scrolls for 2 different damage type pets, because a tamer will want more than 1 damage type pet. (try farming greater dragons with a fire steed, etc)

Most important scroll to buy 120 of is wrestling.
I agree. The cost investment for 120 Tactics/Anatomy returns very little reward vs the much cheaper 110/115 options. If you do the math, STR is by far the biggest contributing factor for a pet's damage. I find a lot of people just want full 120's for the "Status" of having a 120 pet.

If your pet is an irreplaceable legacy or super rare (like a Blaze Cu), then I could see wanting to give it full 120s. You could also give it 110 tactics/anatomy and just save 20 points unspent on the pet in the event you really want to add 120 tactics/anatomy to it later.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Honestly, any one of those pets you listed would make a great pet. I would say pick the pet you have the best personal attachment too, and if you roleplay or get into character at all, the one that fits best with your character story. As long as you follow the basic training guides (150 stam/dex, 700 str, regens, resist spread, etc.), just about any pet is perfectly viable.

I really wish the devs would remove the innnate Healing ability of Cu's, Lions, etc., as I feel it makes some players feel pigeonholed into choosing only those pets for that ability... (I'm sure many would disagree with me though, who are members of the "Church of the Cu Sidhe" :D)
Now I do like my Disco Cu... but... my current most favored pet is the Unicorn... believe it or not. With AI and Conductive Blast... only. I enjoy it so much as it does wonderful things hits pretty decently, heals me when I need it, and is 100% Immune to all Poison. Making it awesome at many champ spawns, great for killing rotters, has no trouble with most things and watching it rip into Rikki is kinda fun.... Unicorn vs Dragon epic battle. Also does a bang up job against the spiders... I typically only need to heal it for the last 2 levels... And then not a whole lot as it often heals itself with magery.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Now I do like my Disco Cu... but... my current most favored pet is the Unicorn... believe it or not. With AI and Conductive Blast... only. I enjoy it so much as it does wonderful things hits pretty decently, heals me when I need it, and is 100% Immune to all Poison. Making it awesome at many champ spawns, great for killing rotters, has no trouble with most things and watching it rip into Rikki is kinda fun.... Unicorn vs Dragon epic battle. Also does a bang up job against the spiders... I typically only need to heal it for the last 2 levels... And then not a whole lot as it often heals itself with magery.
Sounds like a great bet, but can male toons ride it? and how can they?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't think males can ride them not really sure. But never tried. I know they can't tame one. Fortunately for me most my tamers are girls.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They cannot ride them or tame them. I have had quite a few nice unicorns for awhile. They are nice pets. I mean HORRIBLE HORRIBLE pets.

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was training nightmares and legacy pets before it was "cool"~ (back when people were releasing them in luna)

Nightmares suck, stop training them people!
I dunno brother!
I have a new nightmare, necro mage. What a pain the the butt to skill, not much of a tank at all, but damage output is nice.
I'm imagining for a pre patch it would be so much more higher.
Think we need to meet up and bring our record keeping notebooks :)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I dunno brother!
I have a new nightmare, necro mage. What a pain the the butt to skill, not much of a tank at all, but damage output is nice.
I'm imagining for a pre patch it would be so much more higher.
Think we need to meet up and bring our record keeping notebooks :)
I was being facetious regarding nightmares. I'm annoyed they are becoming a status symbol of bad tamers...
My prepatch necrosmares are good for "two shoting" guildies and destroying their obnoxious rune beetle.... er I mean pvp~ For pve I would chose other specs as they outperform. I've probably trained more prepatch nightmares than anyone else in the game currently. Yeah... I like my nightmares.

As for unicorns, they are good, but can be light on points depending how you spec them.

Last edited:

DDesire

Adventurer
Thank you all!!!

75% lesser hiryu
25% 400STR Firesteed.

will train them both without any PSs and see which I end up liking most then buy the PSs.

thanks all!!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All pets are squishy without powerscrolls.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
All pets are squishy without powerscrolls.
And somehow Cold Drakes are more.. cannot explain that. Frost Dragons are not so squishy though. Even scrolled Cold Drakes? Cannot explain why..What do you think? Despite good stats and all..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And somehow Cold Drakes are more.. cannot explain that. Frost Dragons are not so squishy though. Even scrolled Cold Drakes? Cannot explain why..What do you think? Despite good stats and all..
I brought that up a long time ago. Glad I am not the only one who noticed that about Cold Drakes.

All resists and stats the same. Some pets seem to take more damage than others. I just make stuff, I don't do the math.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I brought that up a long time ago. Glad I am not the only one who noticed that about Cold Drakes.

All resists and stats the same. Some pets seem to take more damage than others. I just make stuff, I don't do the math.
I am with you..I could not explain how Cold Drakes with innate overcap Wres and Tact, and Parry take a GOB more damage than other identical pets..There must be something that is not obvious, or a secret "squishy" property, since ALL resists, Stats, HPS are the same..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am with you..I could not explain how Cold Drakes with innate overcap Wres and Tact, and Parry take a GOB more damage than other identical pets..There must be something that is not obvious, or a secret "squishy" property, since ALL resists, Stats, HPS are the same..
I wonder that myself... I can have just about any other pet at the same levels and they are just fine I take that drake somewhere and it's toast in nothing flat.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Sadly thats why I stopped training mine, with uber stats, resists, wres, tact, parry. My Frost dragon non-trainable is tons more sturdy..

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was being facetious regarding nightmares. I'm annoyed they are becoming a status symbol of bad tamers...
My prepatch necrosmares are good for "two shoting" guildies and destroying their obnoxious rune beetle.... er I mean pvp~ For pve I would chose other specs as they outperform. I've probably trained more prepatch nightmares than anyone else in the game currently. Yeah... I like my nightmares.

As for unicorns, they are good, but can be light on points depending how you spec them.
What is your experience with Chiv nightmares?