• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Help for a New Smith

G

I have just started my smith char and I have been reading lots of FAQs and posts here but i still couldn't figure out some specific things.

What should i do to use colored ingots? Currently it says you don't know how to use that metal. Should i use a different item? If yes where can i find it?

Anoter question is on this runic staff. It is not clear for me that how these stuff are obtained. From monsters or from completing bods?

Thanks

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can make an item out of any ingot type you have in your backpack as long as you pick that ingot type in the smith crafting menu. You can only smelt items made out of ingots you can successfully mine. In other words, your mining skill must be 90 to be able to smelt items made out of Agapite.

As for obtaining Runic Hammers, read up on BOD rewards.

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

I think you need to have a certain smith skill to use certain metals. This is from the FAQ at the top of this page (metals and skills needed)

Dull Copper 65
Shadow Iron 70
Copper 75
Bronze 80
Gold 85
Agapite 90
Verite 95
Valorite 99

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry. I assumed GM smithing. heh. I never tried to craft anything before GM except for iron stuff because I was only training.

Update...
Actually I just checked on TC, and your Smithing level doesn't matter when you choose the material. I was able to make a Valorite Dagger at only 50 skill. I couldn't smelt it unless my mining was at 99.5, but I was at least able to make it.

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry. I assumed GM smithing. heh. I never tried to craft anything before GM except for iron stuff because I was only training.

Update...
Actually I just checked on TC, and your Smithing level doesn't matter when you choose the material. I was able to make a Valorite Dagger at only 50 skill. I couldn't smelt it unless my mining was at 99.5, but I was at least able to make it.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL if true then that needs to be updated in the FAQ. LOL you are such the expert, knew the answer but didn't know it LOL You are my hero, thanks for investigating.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On real shards, it's still as in the FAQ - Just tried to change tool to valorite, with a 70-skill bod runner, and it gave me a "You do not know how to use this metal" message, and it bounced back to Iron. So, you still have to have the skill.

Perhaps the tool was set on the metal when at GM, then the skill was lowered to 50?