• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hello Lake Austin (maybe returning player?)

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey everyone. How have you been? After selling my account about a year or so back, I decided to look up UO and see what's going on. Got back onto icq, downloaded the new client (looks a lot better) and made a trial account. Trying to figure out if I actually want to shell out some dough to pay for the account, I've been running into problems, and have some questions and concerns.

Lake Austin is home. It always has been.

Starting out again has been a headache for one. I made a pally, a mage, and a blacksmith like my other account had. So some of my first goals are: Train up some warrior skills on my paladin and go hunting/farming; Train up my mage in magery so i can mark my own runes, inscription for runebooks etc. and possibly alchemy; Train my Blacksmith for mining! Build a house so I can stick some vendors on the porch and sell some stuff.

One thing I noticed is lack of newbie shops and newbie items. I need basic stuff, like my old vendors used to sell (Mosiah's Madness E of Brit). The runebooks I found in Luna were about 15k for a city book, and 4k for just a normal 16? The city book I can see, but dang about the blank one. Frustrating, but that's why I need to go hunting n farming for gold on my pally. It said he/she upped his prices because people were buying them and reselling them for higher. That's just business man. (or woman).

I got frustrated today when something happened (glitch or something) at luna bank. I'm still getting used to the interface. All I was trying to do was pull 50 ingots out of my bank, kept saying I couldn't, I'm like ok, so I try to hop through the moongate to another city, says I can't because I'm dragging something. I assume it means my cursor, but my cursor didn't have anything on it. It might of been the two ingots out of the stack that came up missing in the whole process. I don't know. But I switched back to my old standard and debated on weather I would be playing UO again or not.

Yes, I play Wow and just discovered DDO (Dungoens and Dragons Online)... which is FREE now. Great game, but I probably wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't free. I also play TOO many Facebook games atm that takes away from ACTUAL gaming, lol. Some of them games are so addicting it's crazy.

When I sold my account, I didn't think I would ever look back, but I am. I miss the times I had in UO, the gameplay, the housing, and the friends I had made along the way on LA. I miss mining for hrs late at night just to relax (and creating problems for scriptors...lol), and miss running my vendors and making specialty runebooks, kegs, growing/breeding plants, collecting rares and displaying them in my house, BOD collecting, and grinding out my blacksmithing skill to legendary status...

I have noticed things have got a lot better. KR was such a big letdown for me and I was already playing WOW at the time with In Real friends. My house isn't there anymore, but on MyUO, one of my old characters has been logged on within the last 30 days so i think the person is still playing my old account. I was suprised to see the new expansion has been out and I didn't even notice. Not sure what that has to offer being a new player again, nothing really hits me atm. But if I do start playing hardcore again, I will absolutely pick it up, err download it. I didn't know what to expect when downloading and playing the new client but I was excited. Part of the excitement is still there. My trial is almost up, but I've liked what I have seen and will probably pay a month at least and stick around and see what I can make of myself.

Reading some of my old stratics posts was interesting. A lot has changed in my life and gaming habits.

In the meantime, take care and have fun and I will try to do the same!

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My understanding is that trial account are limited as to how much you can do. For example, you cannot place houses, mine or use ingots other than iron. As for the vending, with the new expansion and lands along with the recent evets people are not keeping up with restocking their vendors (Luna is really dead). This will change. I have a vendor mall in tram with alot of resources stocked, but you will not be able to use alot of them until you sign up for a regular account. I will be online this evening and will pm you. I can help you out with some of the items you require.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another facebook game addict here... Feel free to add me if your addictions include Mafia Wars and/or Mobsters 2. (Basara 549 on Facebook)

It's cut my playing time in UO from about 60-70 hours a week, to about 30.

Check out UO craftsman for the training guide for 100-120 smith using royal circlets (all accounts are ML enabled now) - you'll use a LOT less ingots that way. And, if you spend for the Stygian Abyss upgrade, there's some Gargoyle items to make it even cheaper, that I've not had time to test yet.

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I played most of the evening and night. I met up with some old friends and they helped me out quite a bit. I must say I'm pretty much sold. I have 1 more day till my trial is over so going to scrounge some cash to play some more (which isn't a problem). Ya, ran into some limitations but some of them make sense if you think about it (free-trial acct abusers)... Can't collect or fill Bods or use Bod books for one. But you can have them in your inventory. I have to realize the enhanced client is still in beta, so there are probably going to be glitchiness here and there (which there is - i had that thing happen with the item not being on the cursor again, just logged out and back in)... I think patience should be a virtue in UO. (heheh)

I think now is the perfect time to return to UO. The new expansion looks promising or at least sounds it. I'm still reading up on it, but it has to be a good thing.

My old acct had Mondain's Legacy, so ya did the circlet thingee here and there to grind out those few last skill pts in BS to legendary. And as much and hard as I tried, never got a Runic Saw, Runic Fletcher Tool etc... from the stupid little elf quests... i hated those so much.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out tonight, I really do appreciate it.