• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Heh, I made my own mining utility

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't interact with the client in any way, it's pretty much just an upgraded version of notepad (which I use for lots of UO things) so I can remember what nodes give what and what rune I need to click next.

I spent many hours mining out every cave in fel to find nodes that gave a good amount of ore, and also a good percentage of colored ore to iron. The numbers on the left represent the runes in the books, for example 1/23 is an average of 1 iron to 23 colored ore. I just did two run throughs (the first to find the nodes then the second to double check them, then I averaged the results), then I arranged the runes in order.

Anyways, the tracker is pretty much just a bunch of mutually exclusive radio buttons, you select what the node you are on is giving you and that way you can run back through the nodes for anything that you specifically need. The column of radio buttons on the right is to keep track of which rune you are currently on (1 L refers to the first page of the runebook, the left side).

I need to add a save feature, which I haven't figured out yet, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I made it with microsoft visual basic express edition, which I DL'd for free, if anyone else wants to make their own database/tracking type utilities. :)

T

Turdnugget

You must be a hardcore miner =)

Can you make something similar to see your death to kill ratio by chance? That'd be an interesting one to use...

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must be a hardcore miner =)

Can you make something similar to see your death to kill ratio by chance? That'd be an interesting one to use...
Actually I don't mine that much. And I do it for stone more so than for ingots, for my stoneware vendor. I probably mine once or twice a month for 4 hours at a time on average. I just like being efficient, since I run so many vendors I try to find the least time consuming method of doing things.

Hrm a death to kill ratio utility...that would be pretty simple I think, but you'd have to click in the numbers yourself, either enter them in or hit a button that would add the numbers up, and have an output box. I think that would be awkward though if you are fighting a lot, to have to click something out of game when you remember to do it...

Z

zorrah

I've been considering attempting this kind of mining method.. is your utility available for download anywhere?

Thanks!

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been considering attempting this kind of mining method.. is your utility available for download anywhere?

Thanks!
Oh, I didn't upload it. I haven't figured out how to add a save feature, and the numbers on the left side are my yield findings, there's no box to enter in your own findings. If I pretty it up some and make it versatile and figure out how to save settings then I'll probably upload it though. =)

BTW to find the high yield spots is not hard, just time consuming. I think I would only mark for spots if the ratio of iron to colored ore was at least 1:2, and I would also have to get at least 10 colored ore digs total. I don't think I kept any 5 iron/10 colored, but for example my worst spot is 7/15. Which isn't bad at all (thats 7 iron/15 colored). :) BTW I had to count out loud as I was digging, so if you're like me you might want to work on it while you are alone, hehe.

Z

zorrah

Ah, I see. I spend hours editing and reworking my notepad files for upkeeping my vendors, I guess I'll just use the same method for mining for now!

(I also have multiple crazy complex color-coded spreadsheets for my smith bods, tailoring bods, and gardening. OCD much?)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I see. I spend hours editing and reworking my notepad files for upkeeping my vendors, I guess I'll just use the same method for mining for now!

(I also have multiple crazy complex color-coded spreadsheets for my smith bods, tailoring bods, and gardening. OCD much?)
Haha, I do the same thing. I have a notepad of "vendors" which is basically a list of prices for things like resources and items I sell regularly, and when I check my vendors I write on there what I need to restock with so I can go make potions or go farm whatever monster for whatever item. I have an "idocs" notepad which I was using to record fall times and other information for idocs, but now its kind of become a UO miscellany catch all. I have a "furniture" vendor which lists all the furniture I sell (I have 12 furny vendors) and what prices/amount of items so I can restock without racking my brains.

I have some notepads for doing BODs, mostly for sorting them so I wouldn't lose my place when I'd log out. I sort tailor bods by the reward they give and smith bods by the color of the ore. I use tower of roses quite often. Oh, and I have a notepad for plant growing, tho I don't use that one anymore really. I'm pretty much just restocking a whole plant vendor house so I'm growing everything I have, hehe.

Z

zorrah

Haha, I do the same thing. I have a notepad of "vendors" which is basically a list of prices for things like resources and items I sell regularly, and when I check my vendors I write on there what I need to restock with so I can go make potions or go farm whatever monster for whatever item. I have an "idocs" notepad which I was using to record fall times and other information for idocs, but now its kind of become a UO miscellany catch all. I have a "furniture" vendor which lists all the furniture I sell (I have 12 furny vendors) and what prices/amount of items so I can restock without racking my brains.

I have some notepads for doing BODs, mostly for sorting them so I wouldn't lose my place when I'd log out. I sort tailor bods by the reward they give and smith bods by the color of the ore. I use tower of roses quite often. Oh, and I have a notepad for plant growing, tho I don't use that one anymore really. I'm pretty much just restocking a whole plant vendor house so I'm growing everything I have, hehe.
Ditto on all that, except:
minus idocs
and BoDs/gardening is spreadsheets
a notepad for old rarish stuff (practice weapons, etc) for all chars on all accounts
two notepads with running tabs for regular customers
a spreadsheet for my "plan" for all of my characters (current as well as ultimate goals for stats and skills)
a notepad with all the random items I'm looking for for people

Yes, I'm a bit nutty. :X and so are you!

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ditto on all that, except:
minus idocs
and BoDs/gardening is spreadsheets
a notepad for old rarish stuff (practice weapons, etc) for all chars on all accounts
two notepads with running tabs for regular customers
a spreadsheet for my "plan" for all of my characters (current as well as ultimate goals for stats and skills)
a notepad with all the random items I'm looking for for people

Yes, I'm a bit nutty. :X and so are you!
Haha, yeah it's true. I'm a bit lazier about characters, I train them and all but I'm pretty much set on Baja. So I'll log in another shard (say someone posts on U Hall fel idoc on drac!) and it will be a pleasant surprise if I have a semi-able character there. At one point or another I've started a character and trained them up a little on each shard practically.

If I really wanted to be efficient I would map out skill plans for all of them and then I would do a spreadsheet of GGS timers then log them all in when they were due and in a couple years have fully developed characters on every shard.

But then I'd never get my new character training fix! :D