• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Having a lot of trouble with new map locations

• Thread starter Babe Wink
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
B

Babe Wink

Been doing a few tmaps at the old locations and love the new items. Been trying to do one of the new locations and have not had any luck after trying about 4 different maps. I am wondering exactly what the word random location means. Does this mean that the pin on the map will be in a random location on the map which will match the actual location of the chest, or does it mean that the pin on the map will get you to the general area that the chest is in and then you have to find the chest which will be in a random location in that general area. I have tried 5 different maps, spent between 30 -45 minutes on each and have not been able to dig anything up. My mining is at 100. I have stoned my cartography after I decode the map. Do I need to have cartography to dig up the chest or not? - Anyway, I have always proceeded by trying to find the exact location of the pin on the map. Should I be digging all over in the general area. How far away from the pin might I have to go? Anyone help with this would be greatly appreciated

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What works best for me is just a general "poke and hope" of the area. I figure out the general location and square off an area with bandages. I'll flop a bandage down a bit higher up than the pin shows then a bandage lower down (about 10-15 tiles down). Then I'll proceed to dig the spot in front of me, move in that spot if nothing's there, rinse and repeat until I've went about 20 spaces (moving in an east to west motion then west to east once I need to turn around) followed by flopping down a scimitar to show how far I went (note, scimitar optional!). I'm sure it's more complicated than most people's technique and a heck more confusing but it works for me. :)

B

Babe Wink

I put Cartography back one and continued to search at one of my Malas maps. Finally found a chest - so I moved before it was dug all the way up and took cartography off. Checked the spot again. Cartography is not necessary to dig up a chest once the map has been decoded.

B

Babe Wink

dug up my second Malas map. As far as I can tell the pin on the map is just an approximation of where you will find the chest. - First chest I dug look fairly close to the pin - this one is quite far from where the pin was on the map. - Actually looking at the landmarks hurt my search- only found chest after I started looking in broad circles away from where the pin was.

G

GreekHero

Same here, I did like 30 chests (lvl 1 - lvl 5) since new publish hit. Around 15 of them where random locations. Max it took me like 20 minutes to find a hard spot. A couple of the spots I found literally right away. I am using UOCartographer and the windows Vista magnifying tool. Once you get away from the idea that the pin on the map lands right on the spot you'll find it pretty easy. Just start digging around that location and with 100 mining you won't have any problems.

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dug up my second Malas map. As far as I can tell the pin on the map is just an approximation of where you will find the chest. - First chest I dug look fairly close to the pin - this one is quite far from where the pin was on the map. - Actually looking at the landmarks hurt my search- only found chest after I started looking in broad circles away from where the pin was.
Hi ! I been having troubles with new maps too ! have tried on six different maps ! finally on a area of 9 tiles i get a digging sound, but a message saying not right spot! then cant dig it up cos im standing on top of it ! still no joy !

Zurhet Pebblethief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the past before the runebooks came out marking all the spots. I found chests by digging at the bases of trees in the general area. Have they change the maps in this regard also, so that they aren't tied to any object in the area?

G

GreekHero

In the past before the runebooks came out marking all the spots. I found chests by digging at the bases of trees in the general area. Have they change the maps in this regard also, so that they aren't tied to any object in the area?
Tied to no objects at all. The actual chest is in the general area of the pin (the whole pin not just the base of it). The area can range approximately up to 5 tiles east or west from the body of the pin.