Harrower Tactics (my newb version)

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
C

CatLord

Harrower FYI
Stage 0
(check ingame book)

Stage 1
Summon the Harrower

Stage 2
Bushido warrior finds and honors the first form.
Bard discords it.
On foot characters heal the warrior and kill the extra spawn.
Mounted characters pull the spawn away from the killing area.

Stage 3
Tamers send their pets
Warrior moves in
Defenders start Fielding
Ranger starts revealing and tracking(all forms)

Stage 4
MOVE BACK
Bard discords the Tentacles and
a) warrior kills them one by one.
b) EVs kills them one by one.

Stage 5
Bard discords the True Form.
Warrior honors it.
Tamers send their pets.
Warrior moves in.
Defenders and Ranger keep doing their jobs.
Protector does his thing.

Stage 6
RIGHT BEFORE IT DIES
Tamers check if they are protected and say all kill a few times...
Ranger makes sure we have no hidden stealthers

Stage 7
(this is the Alliance version, on Community Harrowers you are free to do what you wish)

All scrolls, replicas and special items to the assigned player
Destroy anyone that is attacking us
Take the scrolls and all other items to safety
Collect the loot and the gold (unravel hum...)

Stage 8
Roll for the goodies.

Special Note:
If we're attacked please keep the fields up...
- para or energy (check context)
We will have 6-8 stealth necro mages set to defend, that and the 12-15 Greater Dragons and the tamers Essence of Wind or Meteor/EQ will kill anyone instantly... =)
Backup Tactic, we also have several experienced pvpers (do exclude me) that will take foes one on one...

Major Points:
- Field your tile and the ones next to you... poison, para or fire (this one lasts the longest... good for mana saving and long battles...)
- work with a healing partner
- Essence of wind and thunderstorm help alot... (so does having a zerg...)

We have five days to learn how to defend... so we will be spawning 24/7 till Thursday... please contact us to join the fun... :D

Any tips PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post them! (constructive ones)

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
2545 x 2031
Harrower master here!

Maybe one day if I feel like playing & still have my accounts we can drop my skull collections & i'll show how it's done! :)

Lure it to an open area that has one way in/out if possible. Entrances to that area should be narrow if possible. Before anything the sampire/wammy should honor it. Discord it, throw pet on it. Let pet stay on it for a minute or so & keep the harrower mindrotted. That will make the harrower use double mana in his mana dumps. Keep the pet bloodoated so the harrower can't blood oath it. I usually have a necro doing bloodoath-->pet, mindrot-->harrower, few gheals on pet, etc. Saves a ton of damage. Pet should be a tank, good resists high hp, who cares about the other stuff cause the dexer will out damage it by an unreal amount. Dexer should have the honor, enemy of one & goto town on it. Curse weapon should be ready for when it pulls aggro on you, if it does use faint or step back and let dragon pull aggro. Armor ignore, double strike are good specials to use & if you are in wraithform or have mana leech you can leech it's mana down to 0 quickly (It will bring it's casting to almost a halt). For tentacles don't honor them on the dexer who honored the harrower because in the past it's messed up my honor on the harrower (I've done hundreds of harrys). Get the aggro from the true form on an idle pet (all kill, all stop, all stay) so the harrower casts on that pet & NOONE else... just stay away from pet so poison strike don't change that). Just discord the tentacles & pick the one w/ as few tentacles in range to damage you. It's easiest to let only a dexer do it as it should only take ~4-6 hits. Easiest to take on two or more tentacles at once w/ momentum strike (damage bonus) or frenzy whirlwind/whirlwind. Mages should be out of leech range & ghealing dexer. When they're all dead just do this form just like the first. When it explodes tell your guild to all setup a choke and everyone else count scrolls while you bag & send all the gold & fill your pockets!!!!

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
2545 x 2031
Harrower FYI
We will have 6-8 stealth necro mages set to defend, that and the 12-15
No point in stealthing at a harrower imo. If you're doing the harrower & defending it everyone knows you're there so there's no point in hiding. Those 200+ skill points could be used in something a LOT more useful. For example...

Necro/Alchemist/Mage is by far the BEST template for harrower choke points. All you do is play the opponents team or hold your ground until you find that one opening for a wall. Best thing to do is learn the timing on fields. Watch a field behind em, start a timer (download a simple one, set it to stay on top). When timer is ~4 seconds from being done unload 3 purple pots & precast your wall. When the wall is ready the field should drop & you can almost instantly drop it behind them. By now they will be getting hit by at LEAST 3 purple pots which w/ GM alchemy & 50EP will do about 90 damage or so from ONE person. No reason they should live w/ a semi coordinated team of players.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
2545 x 2031
If you're getting meteorswarmed get as many people together in one area and absorb the damage. Meteorswarm & chainlightning does LESS damage if it's hitting more targets. Let them waste their ~30mana a pop while you use one mini heal to heal their damage (~3mana). Keep shadow wisps up, they absorb meteorswarm damage & make the damage LESS (They can get 100% energy resist so chain lightning never kills em... but noone should use that crappy spell anyways!). They can also take all the damage, while you take none.

Everyone should have a max level focus, wether it's skilled or not. When pushing do NOT push without gift of renewal on. Protection is your friend in chokes (It's better to cast slowly, than to fizzle and never cast at all). Sync dumping accomplishes a TON, especially if you're fightning an enemy faction. Caller should call 3 people & urge everyone to pull their bar. Caller should curse them while everyone else flamestrikes on his command. Instadeath. It's best to Sync their caller first if possible as it usually causes panic & maybe some rage yelling in the enemy ventrilo :p

If they get poison fields on the ground you're holding either fall back, or dispel & replace them. It's not a good thing to stand where you can't heal...

Also if you're fightning in a choke you're usually not fightning hand to hand. Drop the DCI mage weapons & equip your boomstick or gheal wand. You don't need DCI vs. spells!

C

CatLord

Thank you very much.

Permission to copy/paste this to our boards...

C

CatLord

Previous Public Harrowers:

2009 Alliance
http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/stories10/story0130.htm

2008 Nystul & Tamars Wedding
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=108671

2008 DB4 challenge to VIP (mature content)
http://db4.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=382&page=1

2007 DB4/GRI/PGoH
http://www.thehonorempire.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11464&mode=linearplus

1st Public Harrower (after alot of diplomatic efforts... even if one guild raided it)
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a3...er/?action=view&current=a675d20e.pbw&newest=1

2003 Cow's Public Harrower (mature content, check the interesting detail... rpers facing pkers...)
http://boards.powergamers.net/viewthread.php?tid=12911

This covers most of Catskills effort to have public harrowers and some pvp...

Thank you and enjoy.

C

CatLord

Skulls from last night:
Greed*4
Pain*1
Power*3

We will try to do, at least, three Oaks...

Stay tuned and my apologies for the mass messages by icq... I'm a bugger, i know.

Thank you all for the donations.
([irony]I promise not to turn them for Spring points this time... /[irony])

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 28, 2003
db4.proboards.com
The DB4 challenge vs VIP one was not a public harrower I think...just one that we fought VIP at.

I also noticed all the actual public ones we did host for the shard (at least 3, 4, or 5 over the years...usually on holidays) went unmentioned. rolleyes:

C

CatLord

nope that one was it...

1st Public Harrower (after alot of diplomatic efforts... even if one guild raided it)
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35...e.pbw&newest=1
(the above was a slide album made by one of our shard moderators)

... the other one I was fishing in Shame and wasn't public...

... and don't forget sometimes hate and desdain would blind people (or it was wise of them) and they would ignore the DB4 harrowers.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 28, 2003
db4.proboards.com
nope that one was it...

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35...e.pbw&newest=1
(the above was a slide album made by one of our shard moderators)

... the other one I was fishing in Shame and wasn't public...

... and don't forget sometimes hate and desdain would blind people (or it was wise of them) and they would ignore the DB4 harrowers.
No, we did it several times over the years where we would have full days of spawning where we raided nobody, and killed any would-be raiders. We did several harrowers that way too as I said...and frequently on holidays. You were not always involved...don't forget we are talking about a span of 5 years or so. As for your thinly veiled attempt at an insult, nice try...but that is also false. We usually had a large turnout at things like that. Even members of our main enemy guilds would come, and it was usually peaceful.

Also as I said that one in Destard was not exactly a public harrower. More of a we popped a harrower and challenged VIP (SX) to take it from us. That was when VIP came back for a brief time after they'd been on atlantic. This was perhaps 2 years ago or so I want to say, and I remember it quite well. We had put on many public/shard harrowers and free spawning events prior to that night.

C

CatLord

No veiled insult... what is the matter with you people... everything is a reason to start an argument?

You should consider rping...