• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hard cap for mana regen?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
just wondering if there was a hard cap for MR?

im wondering cause with the new shame items having the chance to cap out at 9 each, a person could in theory make a suit with 72 MR just from armor and weapon/shield.

then add on a tangle, lt sash and robe and you could have 75

then a ring and watch, thats 93 MR

the mana regen calculator i was using dosnt change the numbers past 30, so thats why im wondering.

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mana regen works on diminishing returns. There isn't a cap per se, but anything above 30 doesn't make a difference.

I incorporated the developer post into a spreadsheet, but you can still probably find it on the forums

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is the link. The post is in the ask the developer section of UHall from Jan 2010.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i also remember something about it being a sliding scale, so if you have meditation or focus you can get more mana regen rates.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT OVER 30

If you have 120 med and focus, you can stack as much as you want, and even with the "law of diminishing returns" there is reason to have it over 30 if you can fit it in...

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think armor and rings cap out a 4 from shame items. Weapons cap at 9. I am trying to see how far I can push mr items for my scribe. I'm not worried about cursed, brittle or can not be repaired. I just want to see how high I can get it.
So far I have:

+4 x 7 armor slots including the shield = 28
+4 x 2 jewels = 8
+9 x 1 weapon = 9

thats 45 mr from the above

+1 from tali
+1 from cloak
+2 from tangle
+2 from the robe

now we are at 51

+22 from the bard resilience bonus bumps mr to 73

+13 from lich form puts it at 86

I dont want to count any temp bonus items like fish pies or pendant buffs. What else am I missing here?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Let Intensity Bonus be the square root of the sum of your Mana Regen intensities, capped at 5.5 (30 total intensity).

seems its capped at 30 to me?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let Intensity Bonus be the square root of the sum of your Mana Regen intensities, capped at 5.5 (30 total intensity).

seems its capped at 30 to me?
I thought that too. But that formula hurts my wee brain. It also conflicts with pub 46 notes:

The hard cap on MR has been removed.
As the total MR from items increases, each successive point of MR will give less overall mana regeneration.
This means that adding more MR will always give more mana regeneration.
This also means that as you put more MR items on, you get less of a bonus from each additional MR item

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have been messing a lot with mana regen from items for my mastery and after about 16 or 18 you are better off putting mana increase and int increase on then more mana regen (more bang for your buck)
Unless of course you are not worried about anything else and have plenty of room on your suit then pile it all on just dont expect it to make much difference

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
. It also conflicts with pub 46 notes:

The linked dev comment is more recent than pub 46, also I don't think there have been any changes to mana regen since that comment was posted.