• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Harbingers the easy & safe way.

• Thread starter Lord GOD(GOD)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
L

Lord GOD(GOD)

The Harbinger is Discorded the Greater Dragon is not.

T

taglol

lol, yeah. That was easy. Like 1½ min I think it took. The hard part was getting a GD Paragon to spawn, took me an hour or so. Did my first harbringer around rotting corpses, that didn't work well at all.
Ah well, got my garb at least, thanks for this great tip! :)

Did you try provoking two harbringers together btw? Thinking of trying that for luls.

kentuckyjoe

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a Yellow Crystal yesterday and I want to try this....what is the Barding Difficulty on the Harbringer and do you have to Provoke it onto the GD or do they just agro each other?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I tried Provoking two Harbingers together when it was on test center but I didn't have an exceptional instrument with me. It let me try but said I couldn't.

The Barding Difficulty on it is 160 I think and you have to Provoke the Harbinger on to the parragon because you can't Provoke a non Discorded Parragon with 160 Barding Difficulty and obviously it's better to have a non Discorded Parragon hitting the Discorded Harbinger.

I'm now using the Parragon Ancient Wyrm near Compassion which hits even harder 140-150.

kentuckyjoe

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WOW!!!!

That was soooo fast. I went to the Para AW and died once setting them up. I had the Harbringer Disco'd but failed on the Provo attempt and the AW ate me.....after a quick res, I went back and honered myself to get off the Disco attempts and kept invising until the provo went off....I think it took about a minute for the Harbringer to drop. If I get another Yellow Crystal, I think I will use my laptop to set up another account close by to res or use as a decoy.

I didn't get the robe but I did end up with a lot of nice weapons(8 dex, 15 hci, 15 dci braclet was a welcome suprise) to unravel(hunting with 1700+ luck helps)....thanks for the tips:)

L

Luke Carjacker

Provoking two harbingers does in fact work. By my estimation they are about as tough to provoke as two greater dragons. We got 10 yellow crystals together last night and plowed through them. Great loot, including 18 items that unraveled into relics and 3 robes.

Funniest thing is, if you summon a 3rd harbinger close to two that are already fighting, it will aggro them because of the area acid on the ground. Didn't go down as fast as you guys describe with the paragon GD or ancient wyrm, but we got through 10 in about 1/2 hour. Great fun.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After discoing the Harbinger you then Provoke that onto the Paragons ?

Checking tactics because i went to the ballie room in Spirit and when the Para Ballie Spawned it Continued to Eat me over and over. Just to damn fast to run away from and had to keep getting to far from Harbringer and losing Disco.

I am just wearing a Sorc Suit and nada for FCR/FC but damn I didnt have a chance?

Any suggestions would be nice.

I have taken out 3 Harbringers with plain balies but takes a bit of time.

:wall:

T

taglol

Re: After discoing the Harbinger you then Provoke that onto the Paragons ?

Checking tactics because i went to the ballie room in Spirit and when the Para Ballie Spawned it Continued to Eat me over and over. Just to damn fast to run away from and had to keep getting to far from Harbringer and losing Disco.

I am just wearing a Sorc Suit and nada for FCR/FC but damn I didnt have a chance?

Cast invis > disco > apply invis until it stick on harbringer.
Cast provoke > provoke monster on harbringer > apply invis.

Can be a bit tricky to get the hang of it first, make sure you have good binds for it. And don't forget to reinvis every now and then or you'll loose disco. Think the timer on provoke is as long as disco stays on so.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If you can't out run a Parragon I would suggest not doing it in Ilshenar. Terrathon Keep has Balrons/Greater Dragons and is out of the way of other players.

I also suggest you have a Mage Weapon & 2/6 casting. The Sorc Suit isn't very good tbh lacks LMC & MR & DCI.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Cast invis > disco > apply invis until it stick on harbringer.
Cast provoke > provoke monster on harbringer > apply invis.

Can be a bit tricky to get the hang of it first, make sure you have good binds for it. And don't forget to reinvis every now and then or you'll loose disco. Think the timer on provoke is as long as disco stays on so.

When did they stop line of sight to be a requirement for a Bard when using barding skills?

It was my understanding that invising oneself would end the effect of any barding skill.

It no longer is such now ? A bard can use a bardic skill, then inviso and the skill would still go on ?

T

taglol

When did they stop line of sight to be a requirement for a Bard when using barding skills?

It was my understanding that invising oneself would end the effect of any barding skill.

It no longer is such now ? A bard can use a bardic skill, then inviso and the skill would still go on ?
Never played a bard in the old days, but barding skills will stick for 12 seconds or something, so you can stay invised up to the duration of the skill. To have it refreshed, you will have to be visible and in line of sight though.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can invis yourself but not for long

That why it was stated to reinvis every so often as you revel for a short time the invis again.

I have used to Ballie in the fan dancer, I have a freind stay hidden in a corner for a quick easy res. Usually take about 6 - 8 ballies to take them down. I got my garb so dont knoe how many more ill doo, not in it for the money just wanted to succed and get a garb.

I found that the dread flute worked the best, and the only way o could get disco off since everything else said I didnt have the skill. I dont use exceptional items.

Maybe that was my problem :gee:

Any hints on a slayer instrament?

:stir:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if anyone has tried this tactic, but I wonder if turning into a troll (etc) with residues would be a good idea, then spawn the harbinger and bard away for the discord ... of course, failed provo would still be bad, haha ....

T

taglol

Not sure if anyone has tried this tactic, but I wonder if turning into a troll (etc) with residues would be a good idea, then spawn the harbinger and bard away for the discord ... of course, failed provo would still be bad, haha ....
Sure, but why bother? Precasting invis while barding is just as easy.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
eaisest way to kill a harrbringer.

disco it.
cast that Myst spell, collosal thingy.

its dead in a minute.

no wondering around to get a paragon anything.
just cast a spell and disco it.

can it get any easier?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
can you armageten that thing??

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What good is it to do it like this if you're not using a luck suit? I've done 2 so far and gotten over 10 relics from unravelling the loot...Not at all thinkin about the conjurer's garb, got 5 of em from the blue crystals...

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

This doesn't prevent you wearing a luck suit.
You can get relics unravelling loot regardless of luck.
Any other method, luck suit or not, will result in equipment damage, death or a public corpse.

L

Luke Carjacker

I've been a bard since the very old days of UO and this has actually never been true. I do know that there is some incorrect information on some of the guides floating around. Provo and Disco work in much the same way, once you are successful, you only need to be in sight once every 8-10 seconds or so (I really don't know the number, it's just a natural internal clock for me at this point). So for example, an excellent way to handle heavy spawns is to provoke, invis, and then when the provoke timer is up reappear just long enough to provoke and invis again. You can easily get 5-6 separate fights going when you're among tough monsters in heavy spawn. Another example is that sometimes you can get a discord on a champ spawn, but then get chased off my secondary spawn, lethal poison, or for whatever reason. If I get chased off the screen while trying to maintain a disco, I'll swing back into line of sight before the timer is up (again, don't know the exact time) and the discord will stay active, even if I'm only within site for 1 second out of 20.

Honestly, I learned these tricks of the trade about being a bard right here at Stratics many many years ago, but I think the excellent guide they used to have here has been deleted or something.

L

Luke Carjacker

This doesn't prevent you wearing a luck suit.
You can get relics unravelling loot regardless of luck.
Any other method, luck suit or not, will result in equipment damage, death or a public corpse.
I've fought 40-50 harbingers and I've found 2 methods that can be successful without undue dying or equipment damage. The first, as discussed, is to provoke two harbingers on each other, or to find a tough monster to provoke onto the harbinger.

The other technique is with a discord tamer. You definitely need to be a little more careful, but it can be done solo without death or equipment damage. First, get the discord if at all possible. If you don't get it first, you might end up getting discorded by the harbinger and all hell will break loose. Then, send in your dragon, and heal with GH spell. As soon as you see the yellow ooze on the ground, call your dragon back and reestablish a combat point for him that is not on ooze. Then, when you get teleported to the Harbinger, you won't land in a pool of ooze; and when that happens your first command must be to tell your dragon to follow or stop. If your dragon keeps attacking, you're liable to get pulled back to the Harbinger over and over; however if you have your dragon follow/stop, then you won't get pulled back in (incidentally, this is the same technique that can be used by tamers fighting Mephitis). At some point, your damage is going to probably get low on health, however the Harbinger is so slow that you can just call your dragon over, vet & heal, and then start the attack again. As mentioned before, the Harbinger will not teleport you to him if you and/or your pet are not doing damage to him.

Total combat time for this method is actually quicker than one Harbinger can kill another (I guess it depends on whether you have a good GD or not). The discord is critical; a tamer without discord probably cannot kill a Harbinger without suffering a lot of deaths to pets & self. I've done this method with about 10 Harbingers (did about 40 others provoking them on one another) and after the first run, which was a learning experience to figure out everything it did, and a second to test out the plan, I successfully killed all the others without deaths for myself or my pet or any unnecessary damage from the ooze.

B

Brucie Kibbutz

After hearing the harbringer brag of how many turkeys he had last Thanksgivings, the turkeys mount an offensive which sent the harbringer into quick peril.

F

Fink

Brucie Kibbutz, that's excellent.:bowdown:

*edit*

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing this out. I did all but one of my yellow essence (one for deco), and got a handful of those nice robes. Now I wish I'd farmed more crystals, but that quest was mind-numbing.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Acyually the Turkey's are strong enough that you only need one. I've killed seven Harbinger's now, four with just one Turkey, the other three I provoked Two Turkey's on.

One Turkey takes about a minute to drop the Harbinger if you discord him, about two minutes if you don't. The great thing is that the bard difficulty is so easy on Turkeys, you never fail to provoke them on the Harbinger.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah i was kinda dissapointed when i rejoined UO a month ago (after a long break)

Giant poultry managed to kill my dread steed in less then half a minute.