• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Handling Live Event Disruptions

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is how UO proposes to handle disruptions at live events:

http://www.uoherald.com/news/
"Message from the Game Masters
The Game Masters 24 Mar 2009 16:02:02
In recent live events we have had some players who have been disruptive to the Event Moderators and other players. Going forward any player that disrupts an event will be asked to stop from the EM hosting the event. If the player continues to disrupt the event they will be removed from the area and a GM will be paged to handle the situation. Based on the GM’s investigation and findings, their account could be subject to punitive actions. If you would like to dispute such actions, you may click here and leave a detailed description."

What do you think?

I think EMs need to have the technical tools and people skills to handle these situations themselves. Most players don't want their events seriously disrupted by another player, a complaining EM, or a GM.

I'd like to (not) see an EM mute or remove from the area any really disruptive player. All the while keeping in mind, of course, that the planned event is not the most important thing going on: The important thing is are the players themselves having a good time at the event.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it would be risky to give the tools to the EMs.. people already whine about favoritism concerning them; just think of how bad it would get if they could pick and choose who got to stay at an event or not (and i'm not saying they would abuse it.. I trust them.. am just saying there are plenty of people that are petty enough not to.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The notice suggests that the EMs will be capable of removing players, and the GMs will be called after this is done.

It all comes down to the competence of the EMs as to how well this will work. Ultimately, they're the ones who get to decide what constitutes a "disruption". (Even if set rules get put in place, these rules will be interpreted and enforced by humans, not the game engine).

It seems to me that the GM's interest will be slight; I would be surprised if they disagreed with an EM on any given matter. On that basis, does it really matter who gets the tools?

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there needs to be a way of giving some "personal space" to the EM and the characters so we can at least tell what is going on.

At the Book of Love event, once they had an area that we could not get to....things went alot better and we could see what they said and did.