• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gypsies

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Have they stopped spawning?
Two days in a row now I've tried to get my crack fix... erm I mean I've tried to raid some gypsy camps before server and only found brigands.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted last week to say I'd only found shepherds in the spots I usually look for gypsies :(

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I tried repeatedly killing the brigands to get the respawn but nothing.
I found shepherds also.
I am very sad.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe someone found the rare item and it turned out to be a Wand of Gypsy Removal...

So now all gypsies have been removed lol.

Well, the devs did say it would be something we hadn't seen :p Now its something we won't see lol.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems that sometime last week they started NOT spawning. The interesting thing is they did not all stop spawning on all shards at the same time. It was like someone was going shard by shard and turning off the spawn. I was experimenting with killing them and had the stats in a post on here then the next morning nada. Still no gypsies for like 6 days now. I have runes to maybe 10 spots that they always spawn and nothing.

My guess is it has something to do with the tents blocking people, especially around the moongates. I hope they turn them back on soon. While they are turning on spawns I wish they would turn back on the Evil Mage Tower spawns. I always loved seeing them and having a chance at some blood tiles.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why hunt gypsies? What did they ever do to you? Did one of them pee in your cheerios? :p

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a matter of fact, they did pee in my cereal! No, really I have just been trying to get this new uber rare item that supposedly spawns in chests or possibly on the bodies of gypsies.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What rare item might this be I've never heard of gypsies having anything worth while. How long have they been holding out?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Same on ls, no gypsies, If this was turned off on purpose it sure would be nice if they would tell us!

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems lately they don't tell us ANYTHING! They can't even patch the client so that the new items have names. 11 days with no patch or info. As for the gypsy items the best guess we have is the possibility of a flying carpet deco because that was the only text strings from the last patch when they announced that gypsies would now spawn with tents and checks and other rare deco items.

T

Trevelyan

Wouldn't it be funny if the "rare" item was implemented weirdly, so that actually it was a small invisible tile left behind that blocked a new tent spawning on the same spot, so slowly all the locations have been invalidated.. and now no camp can spawn :D

Incidentally, did anyone see the cauldron/campfire spawning? Because I didn't..

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess is it has something to do with the tents blocking people, especially around the moongates. I hope they turn them back on soon.
We did have to turn off the Gypsy Camp spawns. The reason was because they were causing issues with house security when they were spawning beneath the wings of towers.

We have a fix in testing for next publish that will re-enable the Gypsy Camps and keep them from causing problems with towers.

I was unaware that we had not announced the deactivation of the Gypsy Camp spawn. I apologize that no update was given.

While they are turning on spawns I wish they would turn back on the Evil Mage Tower spawns. I always loved seeing them and having a chance at some blood tiles.
I have done a little digging into this. The Evil Mage Towers were completely deactivated for reasons involving server lag, where the Gypsy Camps were not causing problems. There are larger risks and difficulties associated with restoring the Evil Mage Towers. Right now we aren't scheduling to bring them back. If we do find room in the schedule, it's likely they'd have to come back in a different form from before, probably using small towers instead of the large ones.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting! Especially the part about Evil Mage Towers because to my knowledge the towers themselves never actually spawned. At least if they did it was way, way, way back.

And just for the record there is a lot that has NOT been announced lately! In fact the this is the first communication we have had in 9 days on these boards or through the Herald!

Anyhow, thanks for posting I hope this is the beginning of more communication again!

T

Trevelyan

What did the towers look like?

I remember the evil mage camps with the blood tile. They still spawn no?

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is what we are talking about. I think they spawned with large towers like the first year of UO back when there were spots open that would hold them. Then at some point the towers spawned and disappeared like the gypsy tents. They are the ones with the blood tiles. They have not spawned in like 3 or 4 years if memory serves correct.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never seen a tower popping up for a sec like the tents did at gypsy camps.

But the evil mage tower wasn't the only spawn. I've seen a few healer tower spawns and a few soldier tower spawns. They are just like the evil mage tower spawn, just not with evil mages, but with healers and soldiers.

And I have seen pictures of another evil mage spawn.

I would love to see them back. Last time I saw an evil mage tower spawn was ~2 years ago.

D

DarkVoid

We did have to turn off the Gypsy Camp spawns. The reason was because they were causing issues with house security when they were spawning beneath the wings of towers.

We have a fix in testing for next publish that will re-enable the Gypsy Camps and keep them from causing problems with towers.

I was unaware that we had not announced the deactivation of the Gypsy Camp spawn. I apologize that no update was given.

I have done a little digging into this. The Evil Mage Towers were completely deactivated for reasons involving server lag, where the Gypsy Camps were not causing problems. There are larger risks and difficulties associated with restoring the Evil Mage Towers. Right now we aren't scheduling to bring them back. If we do find room in the schedule, it's likely they'd have to come back in a different form from before, probably using small towers instead of the large ones.
I think it's time Mythic Devs did some more digging and put a few tower spawns in a limited area on TC, and see if you can't figure out what the reason for the server lag was all about. An argument which might make sense to you here is that if these server-side spawning items are causing server lag, then perhaps there is a back-end system that we players don't see that needs looking into. Since some back-end systems are about as old as UO itself is, it would therefore be logical to check into whether the back-end system in question could be redesigned or completely rebuilt from the ground up by a newer method of programming.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hell, I searched for evil mage spawn and the newest posts I found are back from 2010 ......... are Gypsies, Evil Mage Towers and those still deactivated ????

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If ya can't fix it, just throw it away...thats life nowdays

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's really sad :(

At least the spawn in Lost Lands could be activated. There are no houses, so no problems with unlocked house addons and lockdowns.