• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

GW1 Spoils the Community for GW2 With No Down Times

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over at GWOnline.Net, Lensor discusses the downtime in GW1 and how likely it will be similar in GW2.

For anybody that has never played GW1 and has no idea, us GW1 players are spoiled with maintenance time. Many times I have been playing myself and not realized the game was in maintance.

Downtimes I never experienced but GW1 just really never had them. Now if you are new to the Guild Wars 2 Player Nation and learning about GW2 this is a big deal.

How many times were you playing that flavor of the year MMO and try to log in one day and couldn't because of downtime/maintenance? I know by my experiences on some games my free time that I could of played I ended up not playing because of such issues.

ArenaNet spoiled me in a good way. Only time I lost a connection to GW1 was when my cable internets went out which was rare but it does happen.

Guild Wars 2 Stratics staff would like to thank Lensor and GWOnline.Net for putting up this article and information out for the players and fans.

Please check out the link below.

GWOnline.Net » GW1 Spoils the Community for GW2 With No Down Times

For the click link impaired:

GW1 Spoils the Community for GW2 With No Down Times

Posted 5 February 2012 by Lensor

The Guild Wars 1 team just announced that there will some maintenance of the live servers on February 6. This maintenance will last for up to 4 hours. This is nothing special in the MMO/Online gaming world. What is special though, is that the gamers can continue to play in the meantime! The announcement is just that there might be connection issues at some points during this window.

As a matter of fact, Guild Wars 1 has only had down times a mere handful of times since the game went live in 2005. Usually for server maintenance, and never for very long. The longest was probably when they physically moved the servers to another building.

The only downside with such a great record might be that ArenaNet really has spoiled the community rotten with such a superior up-time record. Now we are freaking out if a patch takes more than a minute to load before letting us on to the log-in screen. Words are that the Guild Wars 2 is using a very similar patching technology though, so it is looking good for down-time-free gaming also in Guild Wars 2.