• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guild Wars 2 Beta: Dungeon Part 1 and Part 2

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Yogscast crew with Arenanet's Robert Djordevich, NCsoft's Aidan Taylor, and a "John Doe" named Derpasaurus Rex go through the Ascalon Catacombs. Great youtube videos as usual from the Yogscast crew and entertaining.

Great videos Yogscast and a huge thank you for having them up. Just got to show how much they do for the GW2 community and thank you again.

Guild Wars 2 Beta: Dungeon Part 1: Booby Traps
Uploaded by BlueXephos on Mar 2, 2012
The boys head into an early version of the level 30 story-mode dungeon "Ascalon Catacombs, accompanied by the not-very-talkative Arenanet's Robert Djordevich, NCsoft's Aidan Taylor, and someone called "Derpasaurus Rex." Strap yourselves in for a thrill ride.

Guild Wars 2 Beta: Dungeon Part 2: The Lovers
Uploaded by BlueXephoson Mar 3, 2012
The boys head into an early version of the level 30 story-mode dungeon "Ascalon Catacombs, accompanied by the not-very-talkative Arenanet's Robert Djordevich, NCsoft's Aidan Taylor, and someone called "Derpasaurus Rex." Strap yourselves in for a thrill ride

S

Scarsdale Punk

Yogscast comments on GW2 dungeons:
[–]LewisXephosYogscast! 41 points 3 days ago
Thought I'd chime in on this one as I didn't on the last one. My admittedly bad play is a blend of genuine skill-less-ness, plus playing in a 1280x720 window and not sleeping for 48 hours, plus boredom and disappointment.
The dungeon was an extreme contrast to the rest of our GW2 experience, which involved hugely enjoyable open-world public wanderings and pseudo-questing, having a fantastic time. Here, we were suddenly required to spend 30 minutes finding 3 other people to complete a 90 minute dark, claustrophobic and grindy dungeon.
I found the whole thing very unoriginal, with none of the creativity, "fun", or active tactics of even 10-year-old dungeons like Deadmines. I'm not saying I want cartoon parrots or a pirate ship with a rope swing at the end - and maybe there is one since we didn't get there(!) - but I expected something different in Guild Wars 2, where they've done everything else right.
My biggest fear is what this means for end-game - which noone seems to have mentioned at all. Is this what's in store for us in terms of end-game dungeons/raids? Because count me out.
I thought this was worth sharing. If he's going to call Deadmines a 10-year old dungeon I assume he's not comparing Ascalon Catacombs to the current heroic Deadmines. Either way his opinion is completely invalidated to me, as his reasoning is poor. Traps and dynamic events inside dungeons aren't creative or fun? Also, it seems no one has mentioned to him that there is no endgame.