• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater Dragon Paragons.

G

GFY

I haven't hunted dragons in Illish in a while and I was wondering if Greater Dragons can spawn as paragons? (nasty beast they would be!)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yes. I can't tell you what they'd be like to fight, if I see 'greater dragon (paragon)' on the edge of my screen I turn smartly in the opposite direction.

G

GFY

How powerful are these Greater Dragons?

Can you tell a Greater from a regular dragon?

Do all dragon species have the potential to spawn as GD's?

How powerful are they as tamed pets?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How powerful are these Greater Dragons?

Can you tell a Greater from a regular dragon?

Do all dragon species have the potential to spawn as GD's?

How powerful are they as tamed pets?
1. If you are well equipped and skilled and experienced, you may have the chance to kill one all by yourself. The fire breath of an unharmed Greater Dragon will take away 75% of your life energy, even if you have full fire resist.

2. Yes, they are named "a greater dragon". They look just like any regular dragon though.

3. To my knowledge, anywhere where Dragons spawn, there also spawn Greater Dragons. (I found them in Destard and at champion spawns.)

4. They are the most powerful pets you can have.

I

InspectorGadget

3. To my knowledge, anywhere where Dragons spawn, there also spawn Greater Dragons. (I found them in Destard and at champion spawns.)

4. They are the most powerful pets you can have.
Gotta argue this, sorry:

3. Semi-truth, the only way you will see a GD at a champ spawn is, Fel destard(where drags normally spawn), and ilsh Valor Jungle spawn(were they normally spawn). If you pop a cold blood spawn at any other location it will NOT contain Greaters(in ilsh they can spawn paragon drags, which are just easier than greaters)

4. Semi-truth again. They are a lazy/bad tamers most powerful pet. A decent tamer can take a bake and stomp a pre tamed GD, Beetle bake and the GD drops like flies!!!Hell even a Dreadmare can take a GD pre tamed!!! What happens is tamers dont want to heal there pets and actually play a tamer anymore, so they use a GD due to the 900hp sit back and have a smoke resists.

In Pure tankability...you wont find a better pet, in DPS you cannot, CANNOT EVER out damage a Beetle/bake combo. Those critters are sheer venom!!! And, the most powerful pets in the game!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Pure tankability...you wont find a better pet, in DPS you cannot, CANNOT EVER out damage a Beetle/bake combo. Those critters are sheer venom!!! And, the most powerful pets in the game!
I have to agree. I should have said: Greater Dragons are the pets that can take the most hits. Combos can deliver more damage, but in many situations it is difficult to keep them alive, especially when you cannot get near your pet to apply bandages cause your target does area damage (for example, at Lady Melisande or the Monstrous Interred Grizzle).

I

InspectorGadget

I have to agree. I should have said: Greater Dragons are the pets that can take the most hits. Combos can deliver more damage, but in many situations it is difficult to keep them alive, especially when you cannot get near your pet to apply bandages cause your target does area damage (for example, at Lady Melisande or the Monstrous Interred Grizzle).
True, but thats what makes tamers lazy...they take the easy way out for all situations(think cu's before GD's), i tend to adapt my pet situationally.

For example, Grizz i will use a Hiryu rather than a GD. The lower phys resist makes them drop fast and you can vet.

Mel if its solo or 2man it has to be a GD(the 2nd man is almost always a necro mage. If another tamer...always beetle bake)

DF/doom(simply cos you cant stable) Solo has to be a GD, if im with a group whom i know will stay...once again beetle bake :)

G

GFY

Gotta argue this, sorry:

3. Semi-truth, the only way you will see a GD at a champ spawn is, Fel destard(where drags normally spawn), and ilsh Valor Jungle spawn(were they normally spawn). If you pop a cold blood spawn at any other location it will NOT contain Greaters(in ilsh they can spawn paragon drags, which are just easier than greaters)
Ok now I'm confused... :gee:

Is there such a thing as a greater dragon (paragon) or do they take the place of a Dragon (paragon)??? I've fought Dragon (paragons) before, not too bad. Succubus (paragon) = evil witch with pms! I HATE EM. Balron (paragon) I've never soloed.

I like using my pets in pairs, my favorite is beetle, nightmare. Would a beetle, bake be stronger? Although I do hate walking.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
10% of Dragons at permanent spawn locations spawn as "Greater Dragons" (and are named such), on any facet where they spawn. Luckily, Dragons from a champ spawn don't have a chance to be bumped to a Greater, but since Fel Destard and Ilshenar Valor have natural dragon spawns in addition to the champs, you'll run into them there as well.

These "Greater Dragons" have up to 90 fire & physical resist, and up to 2000 HP, pre-tame. Their skills also can go into the 130s, if not 140s, pre-tame.

Now, because of this chance to spawn as a greater, it means that you can run into a Greater Dragon (paragon) in Ilshenar.

That means a paragon with potentially 10,000+ HP and wrestling, tactics, resist and magery skills in the 160s.

G

GFY

Now, because of this chance to spawn as a greater, it means that you can run into a Greater Dragon (paragon) in Ilshenar.

That means a paragon with potentially 10,000+ HP and wrestling, tactics, resist and magery skills in the 160s.
I would guess that not too many people do the dragon spawn in Illshenar any more.

Are there any reports of multiple Greater Dragon (paragons) at a dragon champ in Illshenar?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you don't get greater dragons from Champ spawns, BUT....

The Valor Ilshenar Champ Spawn has naturally occurring Dragon spawn (about 5-10 of them, scattered over the area) at the location, and those CAN be paragon. I've ran into 3 Greater Dragon (paragon) interlopers at one time at Valor, mixed in with a non-reptile spawn.

Let's just say that I wrote off the contents of my corpse, and went on...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok now I'm confused... :gee:

Is there such a thing as a greater dragon (paragon) or do they take the place of a Dragon (paragon)??? I've fought Dragon (paragons) before, not too bad. Succubus (paragon) = evil witch with pms! I HATE EM. Balron (paragon) I've never soloed.

I like using my pets in pairs, my favorite is beetle, nightmare. Would a beetle, bake be stronger? Although I do hate walking.
A Greater Dragon is a separate monster from, and with a separate label than, a Dragon. They spawn in the same places normal Dragons spawn. Both Dragons and Greater Dragons can spawn as Paragons in Ilshenar.

Greater Dragons cannot spawn as part of a Champion Spawn. However, Dragons and Greater Dragons spawn naturally in both the Dungeon Destard (which of course has a Champ Spawn in the back), and in the area around the Valor Champ Spawn in Ilsheanr.

It is thus entirely possible to be fighting a Cold Blood (Rikktor) Spawn in Valor, and have a Greater Dragon (Paragon) come wandering in. On LS we mostly seem to like to lure them away and get back to the spawn; in the time it takes to kill one of them you've lost ground on the spawn!

-Galen's player

M

Maximilliean

These "Greater Dragons" have up to 90 fire & physical resist, and up to 2000 HP, pre-tame. Their skills also can go into the 130s, if not 140s, pre-tame.

Well that explains why the Greater Dragon I found in Destard and decided it would be fun to try to solo (note*: first one I had seen of or heard of) kept yelling "Who's your Daddy?" as he smacked me around. I don't even want to think about paragon versions. ack.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, the plain greaters are bad enough, paragons must be a nightmare.

A few weeks ago someone at my house had one go wild on them. It ate them and tried to take a bite out of my mage while he was making scrolls. I switched over to my warrior and it took forever to kill the stupid thing. It killed me at least twice.

So paragons, no thanks. I'll just go the other way when I see one.

M

Maximilliean

Yes, the plain greaters are bad enough, paragons must be a nightmare.

A few weeks ago someone at my house had one go wild on them. It ate them and tried to take a bite out of my mage while he was making scrolls. I switched over to my warrior and it took forever to kill the stupid thing. It killed me at least twice.

So paragons, no thanks. I'll just go the other way when I see one.
HAHA sounds like the house I had on Fire Island, way back in the day. Is house literally right outside the enterance, on the left if your looking at the enterance?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, actually, I currently own both houses flanking the entrance to Destard in Tram on Catskills. I was planning on having them both be vendor houses, but instead I let my cousin use the newest one as a private home. He hasn't been playing much lately, so I may end up dropping it and finding myself something bigger. My bank boxes are too full.

M

Maximilliean

Cool!! I can't even try to add up the amount of stuff I have bought from that house over the years and you've probably have seen one of my ghosts run by there many times too. haha

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol, I see lots of ghosts running around up there. It's horrible to find a healer sometimes. If I'm home I try to catch any I can find to rez them, but some are just too quick.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Petra's added the GD to the parago Calculator on UO Stratics, but I figure I'll just post the info here...

HP: 5061 - 10061
Stamina: 136 - 159
Mana: 570 - 810
STR: 1076 - 1496
DEX: 97 - 177
INT: 570 - 810

Wrestling: 138.0 - 174.0
Tactics/Resist/Magery/Eval: 132.0-168.0 EACH

Physical: up to 85 (this might be in error - heard stories of up to 90)
Fire: up to 90
Cold: 55
Poison: 60
Energy: 75

K

Kazumi the Wild

Maximum Phys resist is 85. Trust someone who has probably spent over 30 hours hunting the bastages and loring each and every one.

Anything with higher than that is probably messing around with spell shinanigans.

T

thelust6

I've managed to take para GD down on my archer in under ten mins, takes gm mounted running, lot's of healing, full 70's suit : P fire breath hurts tons until low health

M

Melchiah

I've managed to take down a couple of Paragon Greaters now using my mage/tamer and a semi-trained Greater Dragon.

I had to make sure I had about 500 bandages, and that I set the dragon on it before calling it back to me. I also threw a few EV's into the mix to reduce it's mana and give my dragon a break. Probably took about 20 minutes, but can't say the loot was really worth it!

You have to be really hot on using bandages, and as soon as a little damage shows, heal it. It's the fire breath that causes the problem, and with a paragon GD will easily hit for 100+. Can't suggest meleeing one at all as a warrior!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've managed to take down a couple of Paragon Greaters now using my mage/tamer and a semi-trained Greater Dragon.

I had to make sure I had about 500 bandages, and that I set the dragon on it before calling it back to me. I also threw a few EV's into the mix to reduce it's mana and give my dragon a break.
How do you manage to cast an EV when you have a 5 slot pet out? Every time I cast 2 EV's and try for a 3rd I'm told I have too many followers.

R

RichDC

How do you manage to cast an EV when you have a 5 slot pet out? Every time I cast 2 EV's and try for a 3rd I'm told I have too many followers.
You cant, the falseness of that statement makes me doubt the rest of the post.

In my experience there is only 2pets that can stand a chance against a Paragon GD...1the obvious 80+fire resist Trained GD(still take alot of healing and alot slower than combo 2)

2) A Beetle/bake. My Bake i use has 59/87/57/55/58 resist, as long as hes the tank the Paragons go down fairly quickly. Set it up wrong and the beetle tanks??I recall out and leave the beetle :p

Either of these combos is hard work, alot of healing/sw/magery. Expecially if you pull a huge hp one.

Having said that...fairly easy ;)