• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Graveyard Balancing Issues?

W

Wraith One

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I seem to of found a few balancing issues with the newly added spawn in the graveyards. I for some reason find it odd that my well built archer and necro/mage hardly scratch a shadow fiend, while a single energy vortex destroys it in about 2 mins. My tamer does just fine against them, but as for anyone using melee, magery, or archery just does not hold up against the shadow fiend. I also noticed that it drains the life out of my pets at extreme rates while not peaced, yet the energy vortex is hardly affected by it. anyone else finding this to be a problem?

C

Connor_Graham

Invis pots and a bit of selective placement work wonders on them....

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for some reason find it odd that my well built archer and necro/mage hardly scratch a shadow fiend, while a single energy vortex destroys it in about 2 mins.
Ranged attacks have greatly reduced damage. If you stand right next to the Shadow Fiend you do full damage.

W

Wraith One

they sure do insta kill if your not careful. I put full 70's 100 lrc suit on my tamer due to recent events and my tamer takes 40's easy from the shadow fiends area damage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let me just impart to you all an observation I've discovered about those nasty things.

First off they are correct..... you need to be standing right next to them to do effective damage.

Secondly they don't really insta-kill you...... What your seeing is they do an huge area effect damage (I think that this is doubled when there is more than one near you) EVERY time someone walks or runs past them.....

So think of this..... your standing next to one and 5 people run by...... that's 20 damage at least for each and every person who just ran past you...... so.... 100 damage..... your dead..... Happens very fast.

Anyway that was my observation earlier.......

If I stand somewhere all alone and NO ONE rides by... they almost never do an area damage spell...... And I can solo them on my archer toe to toe just fine....... If I'm near a group of people running about like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off then I'm going to be killed in no time flat so best keep my distance from them.....

Hope that helps.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I live at the Yew crossroads nearest the cemetary, and am having to deal with graveyard spawn being nearly on my doorstep every time I come home, and that's when I HAVEN'T been fighting at that cemetary.

Why is it that stuff can wander 5 screens away, but if I'm fighting the skeletal liche INSIDE the Yew Cemetary fence, it will teleport back into the crypt?

The Liche is rebounding to start point too much, and the other stuff not at all.

WizzaX

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They dont last but 15 sec vs my dexxer.

I hit for 80 dmg without honor using an ornate axe.

hehe.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can kill off one of these in less than a minute on my warrior... it's just the ranged attacks

P

pavel.vesely

If you are tamer just stand a bit aside and use greater heals to heal your pet.

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I seem to of found a few balancing issues with the newly added spawn in the graveyards. I for some reason find it odd that my well built archer and necro/mage hardly scratch a shadow fiend, while a single energy vortex destroys it in about 2 mins. My tamer does just fine against them, but as for anyone using melee, magery, or archery just does not hold up against the shadow fiend. I also noticed that it drains the life out of my pets at extreme rates while not peaced, yet the energy vortex is hardly affected by it. anyone else finding this to be a problem?
For some reason... the ethereal monsters take very little damage from archery
attacks. It not just Shadow Fiends... Other new undead which are
non-corporeal have simular results.
I have not tried EV's yet, but Nature Furies take about a few dozen or so to
put just one SF down. My biggest problem is... once one dies the spawn brings in a new one... OMgoodness. The Skeletal Lich just stands behind them
an casts spells...

You really should not expect some sort of equity here... I believe that the
developers wanted the players to do mostly group attacking with different
skill sets.

That EV may not work well elsewhere at a different spawn site.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

T

Tycolby

Wraith they are right stand on top of them and plug away. Hittinh them up to 100 points at a time with honor. Most damage i take is like 8-12 points if they hit me at all.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, the joys of people dealing with khaldun spawn for the first time :p

You have to be right up close to the shadows to do real damage. They are incredibly weak unless people or creatures wander by, which is when they do that area spell. That's why archers can't do much damage unless they go toe-to-toe on these guys.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way ... if you see a whole bunch trapped in a corner/building, don't go running up beside them.

Then, after to res, recover your stuff and slink off in embarrassment, don't go to the next graveyard and do the exact same thing.

E

Eslake

I for some reason find it odd that my well built archer and necro/mage hardly scratch a shadow fiend, while a single energy vortex destroys it in about 2 mins. My tamer does just fine against them, but as for anyone using melee, magery, or archery just does not hold up against the shadow fiend. I also noticed that it drains the life out of my pets at extreme rates while not peaced, yet the energy vortex is hardly affected by it.
Except it isn't a "Problem" but a "Tactical Error."

The typical tactic when most come across something they think could be difficult is to throw numbers at it. Summon 2 EVs each, dexers charging in, Mare+Beetle, etc.

But these aren't "typical" creatures they're Khaldunians. :p

Every oponent in range of the Shadow Fiend's area damage only makes it More Dangerous and Harder to Kill.
Each player/hierling/pet/summon in range amplifies the amount of damage the effect does, and the total damage the effect does each time it triggers is instantly restored as health to the Shadow Fiend.

So -
1 V Fiend = Easy
2 V Fiend = More than 2x as hard
Swarm of Curious People V Fiend = Suicide

Melee/Archers just get it alone where others won't run in and cause it to amplify damage and regeneration.
Casters just keep 1 summon on it at a time and it dies pretty quickly.
Tamers just use 1 pet.

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

all mages use a "High circle" spell.. i believe.

if you use "Blade Spirit"... the fiends die very fast.

D

Dain

I have soloed all the mobs in the event (including the spider boss) with a bard samurai char.

The fiends are easy with peace, especially if you're close to them, alone and don't move around much.

People always ask me how I use peace against the mobs you can't peace.

Area peace people!

Get the hardest hitting wep with AI, hit it once, area peace, wait a second or two and repeat.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me just impart to you all an observation I've discovered about those nasty things.

First off they are correct..... you need to be standing right next to them to do effective damage.

Secondly they don't really insta-kill you...... What your seeing is they do an huge area effect damage (I think that this is doubled when there is more than one near you) EVERY time someone walks or runs past them.....

So think of this..... your standing next to one and 5 people run by...... that's 20 damage at least for each and every person who just ran past you...... so.... 100 damage..... your dead..... Happens very fast.

Anyway that was my observation earlier.......

If I stand somewhere all alone and NO ONE rides by... they almost never do an area damage spell...... And I can solo them on my archer toe to toe just fine....... If I'm near a group of people running about like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off then I'm going to be killed in no time flat so best keep my distance from them.....

Hope that helps.
Very well observed! I completely agree with this. If you are fighting a fiend alone with no other creature near you, they hardly do any damage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Very well observed! I completely agree with this. If you are fighting a fiend alone with no other creature near you, they hardly do any damage.
Thanks Hawkeye,

Yeah and just for the Record, I am an archer.... When I stand toe to toe with one I'm doing 80+ damage...... far away I hit for less than 10... so get up and personal with them.... don't be afraid.... (unless lots of folk are running about) but get them off by themselves and get up close and let them have a few from point blank range!