• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Goza's and Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Subject
Dispute Termination of an Account
Discussion Thread
Response (Morrell C.)
05/19/2010 09:02 AM
Hello ,

Please make the adjustment to the house and the account will not have action taken taken against it.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate in contacting us. Your reference number for this phone call is ************
Sincerely,

Electronic Arts Customer Support
This is quite the policy they're enforcing...

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They told me on the phone that I was banned for not changing it. They sent me a warning E-mail while I was at work and the first time I logged in after that warning E-mail I was already suspended for 24 hours. I didn't even get the chance to comply, customer service said that this is my fault.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, right now CS will not be actioning anyone for house design.
I walked back and spoke to them directly, and they've been notified that players should not be actioned.
In regard to sweeping change: there IS NO sweeping change.
In regard to gozamats and decoration and house design they are a vibrant and essential part of UO. I can't see penalizing people for using them.

The Dev Team does not enforce CS policy. We create content. In this situation we are doing our best to recover from some incidents that involved a handful of players. Those players have been contacted directly, and we are awaiting responses from them.
We are not on anyone's side but UO's. As someone who personally appreciates all the great things I've seen in the game I will go to whatever lengths it takes to maintain user generated content like no other found in any community or MMO.

Presently, no one should be getting actioned on house design that does not impact gameplay for other players. If you find out otherwise please let me know ... I'm getting a bat at KMart after this post. Also, as players if you see someone erecting 17 story towers in Luna ... please smack them!

Apologies to using Raph's name in vain. I got my syntax and chronology messed in my head ... it sounded better there.
Make sure they didnt try to contact you and if they have not give them a hollar, so you can be taken care of.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I finally saw one of those houses in atlantic luna. Rubble sandstone. I could walk in it.

It was cool but an annoying eyesore if you werent in it.

Tuff call you cant ban eyesores, that would be half the borg cube crap houses people build. And the other challenged builders would cry foul.

The solution. Coding. Hard work.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just an observation (and I realize that there are some people that are justifiably upset, just think of this post as a Peanuts cartoon, without the pictures or the talent).

This thread is further proof, if we needed it, that you can occasionally get away with annoying the community of enhanced client users. You can even get the pvp community good and mad at you once in a while. But heaven help the dev that runs afoul of the deco community... :stretcher:

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They told me on the phone that I was banned for not changing it. They sent me a warning E-mail while I was at work and the first time I logged in after that warning E-mail I was already suspended for 24 hours. I didn't even get the chance to comply, customer service said that this is my fault.
typical EA.

the simple solution to all of this would be for them to log on your account, fix the house, and leave the stuff in a chest.

and like the screenshot above, that "town" is clearly not bothering anyone else, so it should stay right where it is.

but why would EA do anything that makes sense? it's like they are always biting into an orange, thinking it is an apple.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This could be taken as green light to trap monsters in your house and provo the night away!
I can't understand why that is actionable to begin with. people find creative ways to train skills, big deal. it's not the end of the the universe. is there some reason training provoke to 120 should take all summer besides the fact that a few masochistic UO players enjoy doing it that way? no.

if the Dev's have a real problem with it (which is what is important, I could not care less if the GM's have a problem with it) then they should fix it, when a creature is provoked in a house, design the game to not allow this. don't ban people.

S

soulstoner

Just an observation (and I realize that there are some people that are justifiably upset, just think of this post as a Peanuts cartoon, without the pictures or the talent).

This thread is further proof, if we needed it, that you can occasionally get away with annoying the community of enhanced client users. You can even get the pvp community good and mad at you once in a while. But heaven help the dev that runs afoul of the deco community... :stretcher:
That is great I luv your cartoon.

I do hope all works out well for Falling Waters (given that is the only parcel I am personally familiar with) as any potential 'impact' is self contained within ownership and is a fantastic gift of work and creativity and preservation of history older and newer for the community to enjoy. :)

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We may seem meek and mild hanging our baskets and making our tables just so. But isn't this what community is all about? We just didn't have a reason to rally before..
*waves deco tool*

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a friend showing me a design she was making with gazas for a Halloween contest (I think it was a big pumpkin face or something along those lines). A few hours later she messaged me and told me a GM had stopped by and told her she needed to take it all down. This happened in October 2006.
Tina...that sounds like the work of Sarsmi, the goza magician!

Pics:

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While reversing some of the decisions that have already been meted out is admirable, I don't think people realize how many hours some people have put into designing and implementing their house designs with the gozas, chopped add-ons and other "floaty" techniques with creative stacking. It is by no means an exact science, and is tedious beyond belief working with the deco tool, stacking, layering objects and not wrecking parts of your design in the process. I know myself and others have made one bad placement and spent hours fixing the result when everything sunk down below, etc.

We have a multitude of great screenie examples currently on the Homes & Castles thread, but frankly, if you didn't post here before the Stratics crash circa 2008, you ain't seen nothing. What some players are able to create by arranging bits of the game's objects is nothing short of amazing.

I can imagine some players who made their designs their focus for much of their playtime over long periods, might lose heart in playing after they have been partially or completely dismantled, regardless of having the "mark" removed. You can't give them back the time or the finished product that was wrecked. :(

-Skylark

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pics:

wow that is awesome, thatd make a great addon deed, they need to hire Sarsmi for the Deco team, heck she could outdo them all in a heartbeat.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow that is awesome, thatd make a great addon deed, they need to hire Sarsmi for the Deco team, heck she could outdo them all in a heartbeat.
I personally think it is ugly. but I fail to see how it is bothering anyone else.

B

Babble

I finally saw one of those houses in atlantic luna. Rubble sandstone. I could walk in it.

Tuff call you cant ban eyesores, that would be half the borg cube crap houses people build. And the other challenged builders would cry foul.

Actually UO has ballot boxes.
They could program a voting box for eyesores that if you get 100 votes from accounts everything is put in the moving crate with a note.. 'an angry Mob decided to demolish your house because it was ugly'

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We may seem meek and mild hanging our baskets and making our tables just so. But isn't this what community is all about? We just didn't have a reason to rally before..
*waves deco tool*
Careful with that thing, you could put an eye out!

Thanks Cal for setting CS straight. I hope the accounts that got suspended get the marks removed.

I am of course pretty relieved - and am going to move ahead with doing up the Luna house I recently placed (woo!) Well, maybe. I'm still not totally solid on what I want to do, teehee.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally think it is ugly. but I fail to see how it is bothering anyone else.
It's a little hideous nowadays, but it was the best I could do at the time. Lucky we have borderless goza mats now so if I wanted to repeat the experiment it would come out more smoothly. :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, it was someone else who played on Baja at the time. The unfinished portion of it that I saw was only one to maybe three gaza's deep but looked like it would be several stories tall. It was just a flat representation of a face, not "three-dimensional" like that pumpkin. Think of a big smiley face button plastered to the front of your house and you kind of get the idea, except that I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to be a big yellow and black smiley face!

B

BeefSupreme

Fantastic.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, it was someone else who played on Baja at the time. The unfinished portion of it that I saw was only one to maybe three gaza's deep but looked like it would be several stories tall. It was just a flat representation of a face, not "three-dimensional" like that pumpkin. Think of a big smiley face button plastered to the front of your house and you kind of get the idea, except that I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to be a big yellow and black smiley face!
Ah, so it was sort of like a pumpkin billboard in front of the house? Interesting!

E

Eyes of Origin

Wow ... this is sad... I log into icq and get told to check uhall cause of whats going on...

I've already closed 4 of 5 accounts. Currently the only one left open is the one that holds my castle, which has a rubble wall addon on the roof with a goza mat roof on top of it and a goza bridge between two towers with stairs leading to the center...
IF I were to get a suspension because of this or even a ban.. I will say my final goodbyes to UO.
The deco you can create with imagination and the gozas is one of the only reasons I've kept this account open and havent quit completely. =(

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tazar! its beautiful!!!!!!!!! your one talented person with a house tool!!!!!

CAL thank you for looking into this for us this great talent should not go to waste in its utter beauty. Many UO players are so very much talented and I for one would hate to see them punished for making the game so nice to see.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you very much Cal for communicating with us and helping solve this issue.

It may seem small stuffs compared to other game issues, but to some it is their reason for playing UO and part of what makes this game the one we choose to play.

Thank you again

*curtseys*

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Actually UO has ballot boxes.
They could program a voting box for eyesores that if you get 100 votes from accounts everything is put in the moving crate with a note.. 'an angry Mob decided to demolish your house because it was ugly'
That's actually pretty hilarious, but it would be a horrible idea... :)

M

Miss Ghost

Has this world gone mad? Has common sense departed from the GM's?
People, one of whom is a most wonderful friend and long time supporter of UO from beta stage, who have expended many hours, months and years building up the most wonderful and innovative homes, that are a pleasure to roam round, are now being suspended over decorating ... what evil people they are!
Yes the lag monster can be a bit bad round some, but as I am not battling to stay alive there it matters not.
The GM's should view any complaints individually relating to the use of goza designed homes and if it is found that a particular one is causing problems (i.e. unable to access house signpost etc), then that particular person should be asked politely to redesign, allowing said access, then given a decent amount of time to comply. We can all be away on holidays, ill etc so the individual needs to be given time.
A blanket suspension is ridiculous and will just result in losing many long time faithful players.
I agree with other posts in that petty scammers, dupers, people who use abusive behaviour and language towards others continue to play, whilst people who have been artistic and tried just to create something pleasing are being treated with gross unfairness.
How do the creaters of this unique game world expect to keep it's long time, faithful and decent players, if this is what we have to put up with *sighs sadly*.
Give your heads a shake EA Mythic and deal with this issue in a sensible manner and take a good long look at the players you are pushing to the brink of abandoning UO after many many years of playing and supporting the game in many other ways.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah - I can think of one improvement over that design to suggest, though - replace the bronze shield with a thorvald's medallion, as the medallion is a light source that will make up for the dimness of the candle on top the cactus-candle.

F

Fink

I have a few questions:

How does deco create a problem (obstruction, lag, etc) if you never step into the neighbour's house to load it?

If interior deco is being displayed/loaded without entering the house, isn't this EA's fault?

Account actions, aren't these a little severe for decoration? How about a friendly notification instead?

What happens to accounts in otherwise good standing that are fully paid up but the owners are away for months?

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I see. I missed this.

So the "violators" were warned before, or after, short term suspension?
I wasn't warned before. I tried to log in 1 day and couldn't. After multiple attempts and changing my billing from 1 card to the other, I checked my email to find I received a warning email. the warning had come at 1pm the day I tried to log in(while I was at work and 14 hour since I had last logged out). I didn't receive any email about the suspension itself.

The situation.

Someone reported me while i was at work. They sent me a warning email and suspended me at the same time (or at some point before I got to log in). They didn't bother to send me any mention of how long I was suspended or even that I was suspended, only that my account was flagged.

It was awful form for customer service and my appeal was responded to with the short message stating, to change my house immediately or be banned.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how they mention people were contacted. The only contact I've had with EA was harsh enforcement of a policy that apparently never existed, a suspension without any real warning and I was forced to dismantle a days worth of work involving gozas, rubble walls and a a large number of plants... thanks EA for making my day of game play consist of undoing what I considered to be the framework of a masterpiece only to post on the forums that nobody else will have action against them taken.

U

UOKaiser

I have a few questions:

How does deco create a problem (obstruction, lag, etc) if you never step into the neighbour's house to load it?

If interior deco is being displayed/loaded without entering the house, isn't this EA's fault?

Account actions, aren't these a little severe for decoration? How about a friendly notification instead?

What happens to accounts in otherwise good standing that are fully paid up but the owners are away for months?
Agreed. his questions are all valid. I know that many would like to the answers to these.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how they mention people were contacted. The only contact I've had with EA was harsh enforcement of a policy that apparently never existed, a suspension without any real warning and I was forced to dismantle a days worth of work involving gozas, rubble walls and a a large number of plants... thanks EA for making my day of game play consist of undoing what I considered to be the framework of a masterpiece only to post on the forums that nobody else will have action against them taken.
I am so sorry this happend to you :(
Make sure you contact Mesanna at [email protected] though so she can make sure there is no mark left on your account.

And if you need help redecorating your house, give me a shout, i will be happy to help

T

Tazar

The problem seems to not be the goza's - but the rubble. By design the rubble does not decay and with that type of item-tag, it means the rubble is pretty much always visible - whether you have stepped in the house or not. As a result, the rubble blocks the house/vendors behind.

I think Cal said this was still a problem area that GM's could/would act on.

Simon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is how I feel about it. As long as the gozas aren't loading up on anyone else's screen then they should be able to do what they want. If they are using floor tiles that make the house show the goza mats then it should only be an issue if someone's house sign or something that people need to be able to see are being blocked visually.
That's my opinion. I took care that no one gets annoyed or laggy by me by not using stairs.

The problem seems to not be the goza's - but the rubble.
Then why was my account suspended without rubble's in my private house?

And the rubble-issue is BS in my opinion. If you have rubbles without goza floor, they "can" still cause lag to other players. The only problem is, that they go visible without entering the house.

But fixing rubbles sounds for me easier than making many players mad.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

L M A O

L

Lord Urza

I can see this being an issue, if your causing your house to overlap your neighbor's, but i hate to see our ability to be creative hendered. I love some of the designed created with the goza's.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't Mess with our deco were the ones with to many accounts for one person you make us upset you lose lots of accounts its that simple =) Glad you guys got this sorted Cal but PLEASE FIX Character Statues.... *Sighs*

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see this being an issue, if your causing your house to overlap your neighbor's, but i hate to see our ability to be creative hendered. I love some of the designed created with the goza's.
the problem is, a few jerks can spoil it for everyone

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see why that would be bad, If you were walking along the Luna wall it isn't going to disappear when you walk under it because your not actually under it!

However it is very creative. :)

T

Tazar

I can see why that would be bad, If you were walking along the Luna wall it isn't going to disappear when you walk under it because your not actually under it!

However it is very creative. :)
But it will never even appear when you walk across the wall to block your view... unless you had already walked into the house to load the items... and if I am not mistaken... the house was private.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But it will never even appear when you walk across the wall to block your view... unless you had already walked into the house to load the items... and if I am not mistaken... the house was private.
Good point, Can't see anything wrong with it then. :)

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a weird twisted way, reading this thread is a kind of a relief, as it removes a lot of hesitation about wanting to unsubscribe. I'm not unsubscribing because of this in particular, but it will help assure my departure.

My problem isn't with the devs (although Cal DOES seem to have forgotten about his cause in this thread heh heh). EA stands in UO's way. EA does not get the MMO market. EA should sell UO to a studio with the drive and desire to take over CS and carry the game into the future, whether that's BioWare Mythic or otherwise. Simon and Schuster did this when they sold a risky fledgling MMO to its Icelandic studio several years ago. That game is Eve Online, and the studio, CCP, has never looked back, never had to worry about some lame publisher keeping them from innovating at every turn. Or worse, driving large swaths of the customer base off through sheer ineptitude. (Whoops, did I say that out loud?)

Status
Not open for further replies.