• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Government

• Thread starter Jack Whiterstein
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Jack Whiterstein

Anyone interested in forming a government in-game?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack. This comes up every few weeks.

My opinion: no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

(Unless you want me as supreme benign dictatoress.)

<center> <font color=red>ANARCHY RULES !

G

Oh, but there already is a government in game!

The leaders of our government were individually chosen by EA Interviewers.
Upon being chosen, our fearless leaders were given a title. This title was "Maxis".

Those who were chosen to bear the title of "Maxis" make the ultimate decisions for what is best. They manage our economy and have to approve our imports. They also serve as our primary law enforcement.

[Edit: Please note, Maxis is not to be confused with Marxist]

G

<blockquote><hr>

(Unless you want me as supreme benign dictatoress.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you're not??

G

If I still played TSO, I, and many other players, would acknowledge the "government" as idiots rather than individuals holding actual power.

You can't govern something you have no control over. I can play how I want. It doesn't matter if you're the George Bush, **** Cheney or Monica Lewenski in the TSO Government, you still have no control over other players...

L

Laverne

We already have a 'government'. It's called, "The Dev Team".
Read "1984" by George Orwell.

G

Ahhhh that explains why I feel like "Big Brother is Watching You" fits this new game they call EA Land.

G

<blockquote><hr>

We already have a 'government'. It's called, "The Dev Team".
Read "1984" by George Orwell.

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

Ahhhh that explains why I feel like "Big Brother is Watching You" fits this new game they call EA Land.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhh...we wouldn't want to end up in Room 101. Not that it exists. *shifty eyes*

I

imported_TheCookieFamily

Totally skipped over the rest of the posts, I already knew what everyone would say. So I'm gonna be the fun one, and say heck yeah! Although I can't be involved in-game. Maybe I could be like, the secretary.

G

GRINCH II

havent some cities tried to have a government in the past and everytime it has failed. All it showed was people were given titles voted by the players but they did nothing as for governing the game. I agree that the only government in the game is the developers and that is how it should stay. I dont want other players who know nothing about me try to tell me how to play or what to do.

G

<blockquote><hr>

havent some cities tried to have a government in the past and everytime it has failed. All it showed was people were given titles voted by the players but they did nothing as for governing the game. I agree that the only government in the game is the developers and that is how it should stay. I dont want other players who know nothing about me try to tell me how to play or what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Alphaville Government proved otherwise, the elections received national U.S. news, but unfortunately I was the one that rigged those elections during my term as F.B.I. director.

G

GRINCH II

yes, but did the government do anything to govern the game other than people getting titles? making national news wasnt anything to what i said in my post.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Current game mechanics allow a player to govern their own homes. As it has been stated before without real power to do anything any game governement is just role play.

Would I like to see game mechanis put in place so a group of people could control neighborhoods? Sure. I think it would be great if a group of players could control who moves in next door to them.

G

NOWHERE was it posted that I couldn't have more than 10 pink flamingos.

S

Sean Kendrick

Wow, some of you are taking this in-game government thing too seriously. I'm sure he means RPing a government, not trying to "control" other sims or their lots. I'm all for it! Do what you want(within TOS
), dont let others stop you.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Wow, some of you are taking this in-game government thing too seriously. I'm sure he means RPing a government, not trying to "control" other sims or their lots. I'm all for it! Do what you want(within TOS
), dont let others stop you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the game tradition has always been RPing anarchy, so the government thing is doomed. Sorry to be the messenger.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Wow, some of you are taking this in-game government thing too seriously. I'm sure he means RPing a government, not trying to "control" other sims or their lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Experience with just about every other "government" over the last 4 years says different...

G

It has always baffled me, but, yeah, a lot of sims feel very strongly about a 'government' and players, claiming titles of authority.

No player has the power to 'enforce' any of their government rules, so I have never understood why players don't let them pretend and just ignore it?

Now.....if they got the dev's to create an enforcable governmental structure in the game, this would seriously piss me off!

G

<blockquote><hr>

No player has the power to 'enforce' any of their government rules, so I have never understood why players don't let them pretend and just ignore it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, they think they do. They try the same techniques as 'mafia' groups to get you to "pay your taxes" or whatever they try and disguise extortion as, which can get very annoying, not only to you but also your guests.

Real roleplayers generally keep themselves to themselves in their little communities and wait for people to come to them, should they make themselves public and be wanting people to join them. In TSO, most people "roleplaying government" go out on active recruitment round houses and hope that people will "join in" in the same way that you might do when 10 zombies turn up on your lot and the only word they say is "brainssssssssssssss"...

S

Sean Kendrick

I dont know what governments you guys are talking about but all the governments I have seen have never asked for money/taxes. If you're going to create a government try to model it as close to AVG as possible.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I dont know what governments you guys are talking about but all the governments I have seen have never asked for money/taxes. If you're going to create a government try to model it as close to AVG as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, all the TSO government wannabes I've been subjected to in the past five years have been royal pains in the tush: overly energetic, with too much time to inflict their ideas on the rest of us, spam crazy, and not ones to take NO for an answer. What AJ said -- no prob if they stick to their own community of RP, but aggravating bores when they try to suck the rest of us into their fantasy.

IMO there is no dif between government RP and mafia RP. It isn't my RP so don't bug me to join.

BRAINSSSSSSSS...lol

J

Jack Whiterstein

Well, I've played TSO for maybe four years, plus or minus a few years. Since I started I have been involved with almost every single government every created that I was aware of at the time. This ranges from the Test Center Government all the way up to the Interhogan Government, which I created. In total I have been apart of seven seperate governments and I hosted a United Nations program for the said governments. I have also held ranks ranging from a lonesome private in the military to a (interim) president over the governments staff.

In that history, I saw nor heard of these governments oppressing anyone for not wishing to help out. Their mission was to help protect those who wished protection. The Jolly Pines Government for example had a website that would inform you on potential scammers and others that should be avoided. My time in other governments I saw the same thing, people not getting paid, or paid little,to do what they did for the benefit of others that did not either acknowledge them or want to help them. I would consider those people some of the most honorable people I knew while I was ingame.

As others have said, we would not try to oppress those who wish not to help us, but wish that everyone would atleast consider such a thing as helping us. I know such ideas can be achieved because I have seen them done by others in the past. To end my rant, I have a quote: "Order can only be achieved by those who want it."

G

<blockquote><hr>

In that history, I saw nor heard of these governments oppressing anyone for not wishing to help out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must of never played in AV when the SSG was formed. I believe it's groups like the SSG that left a bad taste in players mouths when it came to "RP" governments.

J

Jack Whiterstein

I remember hearing the name, but I was never apart of the government. My only active parts in AV were only briefly when I served under the AVG under a Navy SEAL/espionage banner before I was forced to leave due to me not having enough money to pay for the game. I have seen governments, true governments succeed in the game without having others pay taxes or other dues to their cause.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, all the TSO government wannabes I've been subjected to in the past five years have been royal pains in the tush: overly energetic, with too much time to inflict their ideas on the rest of us, spam crazy, and not ones to take NO for an answer. What AJ said -- no prob if they stick to their own community of RP, but aggravating bores when they try to suck the rest of us into their fantasy.

IMO there is no dif between government RP and mafia RP. It isn't my RP so don't bug me to join.

BRAINSSSSSSSS...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

This just proves to me, that even playing in some of the same cities, for the same amount of time, we all encounter different games!

I have never, in five years, and in spite of meeting hundreds of players, been troubled by government wannnabees....or mafias.....or scammers.

I am starting to wonder if I got the code, marked 'Nice People' and some of you, got the one marked 'Nasty People'.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Government aka Mafia?

We have those. Whoever has the most money to buy off the newbies wins.

I

imported_Shirl1211

That's exactly right! All it turned out to be was a big popularity contest. It was fun to watch them campaign but we all know that people are going to play the game the way they want and the way the Dev's set it up. As many times as this has been proposed, I still can't imagine 1 sim controlling 1 city but to take on EA Land....Not a chance.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

In that history, I saw nor heard of these governments oppressing anyone for not wishing to help out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must of never played in AV when the SSG was formed. I believe it's groups like the SSG that left a bad taste in players mouths when it came to "RP" governments.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....that's pretty much why I abandoned my sim in AV for so long. I got tired of all the BS in AV.

I've seen some of the best intended groups turn space-balls once a greedy idiot gets their talons into it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I believe it's groups like the SSG that left a bad taste in players mouths when it came to "RP" governments.

[/ QUOTE ]Groups like SSG? SSG did it singlehandedly. At the same time, they were probably the best thing for TSO at the time. The SSG gave TSO so much national exposure.

*sigh* those were the days...

G

<blockquote><hr>

The SSG gave TSO so much national exposure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah but was it "positive" exposure?

G

Depends on who you are, I guess. I'd say negative press is better than no press/advertising.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I am starting to wonder if I got the code, marked 'Nice People' and some of you, got the one marked 'Nasty People'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lucked out and got double code: "government prats" and "mafia dorks."

Luckily, the coding didn't exclude "nice people."

J

Jack Whiterstein

I can see how these government ventures have not worked, mostly because people weren't willing to help it. If a greater base of support could be found and upheld then a government may be able to successfully work.

A government and a mafia, in this games sense, are only some what alike. It is only alike in the sense that you have a leader(s), a GF/GM and a president, incharge of several other smaller factions, departments and squads. Their main purposes are where they seperate. A mafia, as in RL, is formed for prestige and overall greatness. A government is formed for some type of order. It's really a good vs. evil debate. Although in some cases, a government can be an evil as well and then you would choose the better of the two evils.

As to not being hassled by scammers, mafias, or governments, while in my experience I have had plenty of times when complaints came in on someone being scammed or a mafia disrupting a public event of some type. I have never heard anything bad about any of the governments I participated in or with.

Also, iwould be willing to spend time to help setup governments in every city in the game if their were enough interest in the cities. However, this may conflict with the merge I have heard that is coming. I am really out of the loop on that because I wasn't able to log on for awhile because of an update issue. But still, all interested cities I would help. Also, again, sorry for the long post.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can see how these government ventures have not worked, mostly because people weren't willing to help it. If a greater base of support could be found and upheld then a government may be able to successfully work.

A government and a mafia, in this games sense, are only some what alike. It is only alike in the sense that you have a leader(s), a GF/GM and a president, incharge of several other smaller factions, departments and squads. Their main purposes are where they seperate. A mafia, as in RL, is formed for prestige and overall greatness. A government is formed for some type of order. It's really a good vs. evil debate. Although in some cases, a government can be an evil as well and then you would choose the better of the two evils.

As to not being hassled by scammers, mafias, or governments, while in my experience I have had plenty of times when complaints came in on someone being scammed or a mafia disrupting a public event of some type. I have never heard anything bad about any of the governments I participated in or with.

Also, iwould be willing to spend time to help setup governments in every city in the game if their were enough interest in the cities. However, this may conflict with the merge I have heard that is coming. I am really out of the loop on that because I wasn't able to log on for awhile because of an update issue. But still, all interested cities I would help. Also, again, sorry for the long post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks
It's been a ruff day, I needed a laff.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm sorry,

I've seen how some idiots act when they take this game too seriously. I want nothing to do with it at all.

So if we don't wish to 'play along' what happens? We get blackballed because we don't want to 'go along' with it? Players playing 'government' will only visit establishments willing to take the mark of the TSO Beast?

If you want to play 'government', make yourself a courthouse and go to it. Otherwise leave me out of it.

I will in no way support mafias, governments or whatever the 'flava-name' of the day is.

G

The problem, it seems to me, with 'governments' &amp; mafias....and even sim marriages, that try to extend beyond a role-playing lot or within a role-playing group, is that, essentially, it is asking other players to give up the game *they* want engage in, to play your game.

This is never going to fly. People do not pay real money to have their own fun and fantasies, become secondary to a stranger's game play.

However, there is no reason like-minded people, can not form a neighborhood/society with their own Town Hall and elections and officials. Just don't expect those who are not interested (the majority), to give up their game play to support the illusion.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The problem, it seems to me, with 'governments' &amp; mafias....and even sim marriages, that try to extend beyond a role-playing lot or within a role-playing group, is that, essentially, it is asking other players to give up the game *they* want engage in, to play your game.

This is never going to fly. People do not pay real money to have their own fun and fantasies, become secondary to a stranger's game play.

However, there is no reason like-minded people, can not form a neighborhood/society with their own Town Hall and elections and officials. Just don't expect those who are not interested (the majority), to give up their game play to support the illusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

J

Jack Whiterstein

Well, I never said that you had to have a government position. You can be a supporter and continue on whatever fun you came here to have, as long as it is inside the TOS and government rules. You would be free to help out, vote, run for an office, etc. These are still in figurative terms as it hasn't actually happened yet.

We would not pressure you into joining, and there would be no consquences for not joining. We would still provide almost the same benefits to those who join and to those who don't, except for the voting and running for office. We would still warn of scammers and what not to everyone. People can join under their own accord. The only time you may be asked to join is if someone joins and they have a friend they may think is interested in joining as well.

C

Cruz Cavera

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Lmao, no.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Lmao, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

x.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I never said that you had to have a government position. You can be a supporter and continue on whatever fun you came here to have, as long as it is inside the TOS and<font color="red">government rules</font>. You would be free to help out, vote, run for an office, etc. These are still in figurative terms as it hasn't actually happened yet.

We would not pressure you into joining, and there would be no consquences for not joining. We would still provide almost the same benefits to those who join and to those who don't, except for the voting and running for office. We would still warn of scammers and what not to everyone. People can join under their own accord. The only time you may be asked to join is if someone joins and they have a friend they may think is interested in joining as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I made is in red.....government rules.

There are no government rules...that is role-playing....and asking others to abide by your role-playing rules, would be imposing your fantasy on their game. You don't have a right to do that anywhere except your own property.

Goverment has nothing to offer except the fun of role-playing, and that, only to those who view it as fun.

M

MonaLittlemore

When people in the game ask me if I want to be in their family .I tell them I play this game to get away from mine in RL..And I have the same answer for Goverment..I play the game to escape my RL...kids hubby And oh yes THE GOVERMENT ..Tho I am wondering if my sims are on welfare...Especially the ones in TC3..So If I want goverment Ill log off the game and head to my nearest state capital...

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I never said that you had to have a government position. You can be a supporter and continue on whatever fun you came here to have, as long as it is inside the TOS and government rules. You would be free to help out, vote, run for an office, etc. These are still in figurative terms as it hasn't actually happened yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope any government is careful, <u>very careful, </u>warning people about scammers. I believe that naming names is against the TOS. While I applaud the sentiment of wanting to "out" the bad guys, it is all too easy to make false accusations. There is one, and only one, "government" that is set up to deal with scammers, and that is the company who owns and runs this game.

J

Jack Whiterstein

Well, with scammers much more caution would need to be used. If someone were to come up and tell us that I was just scammed by so and so, we wouldn't act on it just then. We would keep that information and moniter the situation and see if we get anymore reports. It's not like if you could take a picture of you getting scammed, because it happens after the fact and there would be no hard evidence. But, if we saw a pattern then we would certainly act on it.

P

PepsiCEO05

Don't waste your time trying to start a government. Doing so requires much experience, money, patience, and cooperation of other residents. At this time, EALand is in no need of an authority beyond Maxis.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Don't waste your time trying to start a government. Doing so requires much experience, money, patience, and cooperation of other residents. At this time, EALand is in no need of an authority beyond Maxis.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO, it takes lots of simoleans to sway players to abide by the rules of the specific group.

My whole thing is, some of us actually left AV and BF specifically to get away from the 'interest groups'.

With having only 1 city to dwell in, a large 'mafia/regime' could be extremely detrimental to the health of TSO.

Now if players wanted to start up committees such as....."The Fun Committee" where they'd get together and plan out citywide fun things such as easter egg hunts and such, you'd probably get my full fledged backing. You know Valentine's day is fast approaching.....where is the dance going to be and OMG I need a date if I'm attending....(if only the chef didn't have boobs I could bring my own date.)

J

Jack Whiterstein

I have many years of prior knowledge of how the governments I've helped with in the past worked. Not all people would require some type of pay for them to help out. I can wait as long as it takes to try to get it to work. All I need is the support of a few residents and we can build from there.

We can make a commitee of people with their job being to help plan events for the sims of the cities. So I mean, the ideas with this are unlimited, but it will never work without some cooperation between those who wish to be in the government and those who just want to help out with it.

I

imported_MARCIN2006

I remember being in the AVG, it was fun lots of role play. But this type of RP will never work again...!

So nope....