• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Government System Feedback

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Definitely give the bulletin boards more usability! But...don't rely solely on this as a solution to the communication problem. Most people don't know about the boards, or think they don't work at all like the boards in inns. This also requires them to go somewhere and DO something. If its not shoved in their face or handed to them on a silver platter, 90% won't bother.

We need a combination of communication options.
  • Enhanced bulletin boards
  • Access to town criers (as pointed out, 9 people isn't much in the way of policing per shard. The benefits FAR outweigh the "risks.")
  • A built-in city chat channel like alliance or guild chat, or like what the faction commanders have. /t to talk to just people loyal to your city. Governors should also be specially identified in the chat with a 'Gov.' before their name in global, this is more important then the trailing title to display.
I am also increasingly motivated to see UO's ToS/RoC actually enforced and to have the poorly conceived harassment policies updated from their 1950's silliness. Expecting the victim to be the one to change the way they are playing to accommodate the harasser only puts more power in the harasser's hands. It is ethically wrong.
Access to global town criers is not something that is likely to be given. Loading up the town criers with the messages from our Event Moderators, whatever global events may be happening, and the added messages of up to 9 Governors is too cumbersome. The Town Criers are also severely limited in the length of text they can announce. Instead, what I think would work better is if the City Heralds perhaps would announce headlines from the bulletin boards. Perhaps even having a "newspaper" feature when a player logs in, that can be toggled on and off, that updates them with a host of global, EM, governor, and player events alike. Of course that is a major undertaking but I think would pay off in a big way.

As for changes to the global chat, that's something I'll have to kick around with engineering as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

http://stratics.com/community/posts/2367018/

Last edited by a moderator: