• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Good Times in the Abyss

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Bored... bored bored.. then I hear a call to arms against the baddest of baddies in Sosaria - the Stygian Dragon!

Meeting up with 4 others.. yes, you read right... 4... (with me make 5 people) we ventured into the palace home of this dreaded beast! At first, we thought he heard we were coming and hid for he was not to be found! But within a few minutes he appeared with a roar and the battle was on!

In all my excitement, I forgot to set up the remote cam to snap us as we valiantly fought the creature (more like die every 3 minutes!) He is one IMPRESSIVE beast - and yes, he really does fly over your head! damned hard to reach with only a sword....

But with just 5 of us - we did lay him down!

4 archers - one of which was a necro, and myself... I was cannon fodder.. and served as a great distraction to the monster, running willy nilly. I did get some hits in tho... if they mattered any! lol And we learned a few things about the beast, and some possible weaknesses... muwaahaahaaa!

We were:
Love
Slarew
pirella
Sarah
and myself

Here is the ONE pic I got of our experience... right after one of the few times I DID hit it!

Great way to start off 2010. ^.^

Oh, Sarah got the head of the beastie... damn nice looking too. I'm jealous.

Thanks to the others for the invite and letting me tag along. I'll probably never do it again, but at least I can say I was there at least once in my UO life!

O

OxAO

I never did figure out how to get in that one?

what keys you need and were?

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The keys are off the Fairy Dragons, The "orbs' you will need 4 of them, next go up the stairs into the huge building where the fairy's are, (going into the abyss through tomb of kings http://www.uoguide.com/Tomb_of_kings is easiest way to get here) You'll need to go over 2 bridges to get to the fairy dragons. They are just past the 1st mini spawn of Fire ants & Demon's.

Once you have the 4 orbs go up the steps & into the building all the way to the back, you will see the small alter with 4 braziers, the orbs go one on each brazier. A gate opens if I rem correctly & leads you into his lil domain of levels.

Good Luck :D

Kahlan Rahl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We had the honor of meeting this fellow.....yeah, I said Holy Crap Alot!,
"OooOoooo, Holy Crap"

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
lol! yep, that's about right!

O

OxAO

how does a sampire do against them? can a fighter leach enough mana from it to stay alive?

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
If you can hit it to leech... and then you better leech anything from about 70 to 100 worth to survive the claw/claw/bite attack followed closely by spells and its own brand of breath weapon.

The bugger flies, literally. Melee weapons have a hard time hitting and when you get close enough to hit, you will take major damage. Gotta use bows...

In our run, with me being the high hit point pally I am, I can take two hits from this beastie... so I could play distraction while the archers let loose. However... if I didn't time my heals right - or if I lagged - I died... and then the dragon would target someone else and would not be distracted again until that person died.

BUT

He can get confused... and delays his timed attacks if his current victim goes invis. I attribute this to his itty bitty eyes... they are so very tiny. If a target leaves his field of vision, he gets miffed and takes him a few to refocus on another target. At least is what we observed.

Now... I've heard of parties going in with 10+ people and all dying miserably and their keys would time out so they are kicked out of the room. But we did it with 5 with little issue.. actually pretty damned fast too if you ask me. I think we took him in about... 45 minutes maybe...