• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Golem FAQ

Moff Tarkin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to Mo Verdigast for writing the original version of this FAQ.

See also:
[*]Mo Verdigast's Golem FAQ (old)

Fun with your new Golem: the Golem FAQ

Here is my first attempt at answering frequently asked questions about Golems. Because Golems are created using tinkering skills, this FAQ belongs in the Tinkering Forum. Please PM me if you find an error and I'll correct it. Please make this post sticky!

1. What are Golems?
2. What materials do I need to make a Golem?
3. What tinker skills do I need to have to create a Golem?
4. What do I do with my new Golem?
5. What do I feed my Golem?
6. How do I heal my Golem?
7. Oops, my Golem's losing the battle and something's happening to me. What's going on?
8. Hey, my Golem's attacking me! Why did it do that?
9. What do I do with my Golem when I don't want to keep it by my side?
10. I get a message telling me that my Golem is annoyed. What do I do?
11. My Golem doesn't seem to be paying attention. What's wrong?
12. What can I hunt with Golems?
13. What skills are useful for Golem controllers?
14. What's the best way to kill a Golem?
15. What does a Golem weigh?
16. Why can't I control more than one Golem?

1. What are Golems?

A Golem is an artificial creature that can be created by a tinker. Golems are incredibly strong and resist poison and magical attacks. They are also immune to provoking and peacemaking, and can't be tamed by animal taming. Once created, a Golem will act like a pet and will do pretty much what you tell it to. Technically they are known as Iron Golems. Wild Golems are spawned by machines in Ilshenar known as Power Generators. You can also find Golems in Wrong.

2. What materials do I need to make a Golem?

You must gather the following materials:

<ul>[*]50 iron ingots.[*]50 bronze ingots[*]5 gears made by a tinker[*]1 power crystal[*]1 clockwork assembly[/list]

You probably know how to get ingots (if you don't, check out the Mining Forum) and if you're a tinker, you can make your own gears. Power Crystals are <font color=purple>purple</font color=purple> and can be found on the bodies of other Golems. Clockwork Assemblies are <font color=708090>gray</font color=708090> and also can be found on the bodies of Golems. Power Crystals and Clockwork Assemblies also may be found on Exodus Overseers, Juggernauts, and Betrayers. You can also buy Power Crystals and Clockwork Assemblies from other players and in player-run shops. Prices seem to range from 4000gp to 10000gp for Power Crystals and from 1000gp to 5000gp for Clockwork Assemblies Once you have all the materials in your backpack, double-click on the Clockwork Assembly and your Golem will appear.

3. What tinker skills do I need to have to create a Golem?

You need to have at least 60 tinkering skill to make a Golem. However, the higher your tinkering skill is, the stronger your Golem will be. If you don't have GM tinker skills yet, don't despair. As your Golem fights other creatures, it will train up. If you buy a Golem from someone else, you don't need any tinkering skill to control it. Only the tinkering skill of the creator affects the original strength of the Golem. You don't need animal taming, animal lore, or veterinary skills to control your Golem. Unlike other pets, you don't bond with your Golem; that is, the Golem doesn't become more loyal to you as you continue to use it. You can use Arms Lore on a Golem to see the skill level of the tinker that created it.

4. What do I do with my new Golem?

You can use most of the pet commands on your new Golem. Say "all follow me" to get it to follow you. After parading it around and showing off your new creation, you'll want to take it hunting. When you see something you want the Golem to fight, say "all kill" and target the creature you want to kill. If you get tired of leading it around on foot, you can use a Gate Spell and the Golem will follow you. If you use a Recall Spell, the Golem won't follow you. If you run too fast, the Golem can't keep up with you and will get lost.

5. What do I feed my Golem?

Nothing. They don't eat food.

6. How do I heal my Golem?

If your Golem is fighting with another creature, it will start to lose hit points. You can raise those hit point through tinkering. You must have iron ingots in your backpack and a tinkering tool. Double-click the tinkering tool and when the tinkering menu appears, click on the REPAIR button and select your Golem. If you are successful, your Golem will regain some hit points and ingots will be consumed. Once you've repaired your Golem, 12 seconds must elapse before you can attempt another repair. You must be standing right next to your Golem when you attempt to heal it.

7. Oops, my Golem's losing the battle and something's happening to me. What's going on?

If your Golem is losing hit points, you'll discover that you are also losing mana. So you might want to have good meditation skills and wear leather armor to regain mana quickly during battles. If your mana hits zero, you'll start losing hit points. So if it looks like you're going to lose a battle, run away! Once you are far enough away from your Golem, you will break the connection and save your own skin. If by some chance, the Golem survives, and you find it, the connection will be renewed and the Golem will once again be your willing pet.

8. Hey, my Golem's attacking me! Why did it do that?

If you're in war mode and you accidentally double-click your Golem, it will attack you, because it thinks you're attacking it. So be careful where you click. Once the Golem attacks you, you'll be surprised to see how fast Golems can move. You probably won't be able to outrun it and you may very likely die. If the Golem kills you, head for a shrine or a healer. When you're resurrected, the Golem has "forgotten" it was attacking you and is ready to do your bidding once again.

9. What do I do with my Golem when I don't want to keep it by my side?

Just like other pets, you can stable your Golem. Find a stable and say "stable" to the NPC. The stable will charge you 30gp per real week. When you're ready to pick up your Golem, say "claim" to the NPC at the stable. You can drop off your Golem at one stable and pick it up at another. Like other pets, you can transfer it to someone else, using a secure trading window. The price of Golems seems to range from 5000 gp to 10000 gp. Don't leave your Golem in your house when you log out. It probably won't be there when you log back in the next day.

10. I get a message telling me that my Golem is annoyed. What do I do?

Nothing. It's doing that because you told the Golem to guard you. The message is triggered when a hostile creature comes within range of you and your Golem. Just be aware that your Golem is getting ready to fight.

11. My Golem doesn't seem to be paying attention. What's wrong?

Like real-world pets, a Golem is easily distracted. You'll probably want to make a macro that says "all kill" and use it frequently. If the Golem doesn't seem to be attacking the right creature or helping you out, give it the "all kill" command. You will quickly learn that when you enter an area with your Golem, hostile creatures will attack you while your Golem stands by and idly watches. The minute you see a hostile creature, tell the Golem to attack it and hang back, ready to heal. Let your Golem do the fighting, but keep close watch to make sure your Golem didn't get distracted by another creature. When you're walking with your Golem, it may start going after a creature. If you don't want it to attack, quickly say "all follow me" and retreat. Make sure your Golem isn't outnumbered or in danger of fighting something too strong. Golems have short attention spans.

12. What can I hunt with Golems?

Your best bet is to attack creatures that rely on magic. For example, liches and gazers are pretty easy for your Golem to kill. Elementals are popular. But be careful against going up against some of the stronger creatures in Ilshenar. But last week, a Juka Lord wiped out my Golem in a few seconds and killed me too. You can use your Golem to kill Wild Golems, but you'll spend a lot of ingots healing your Golem.

13. What skills are useful for Golem controllers?

Useful skills for a Golem controllers include:

<ul>[*]Tinkering - if you're creating your own Golems
[*]Meditation - you'll want to regain mana quickly during battles
[*]Mining - if you want to make your own ingots
[*]Magery - you'll want enough to gate with scrolls[/list]

Other combat and healing skills are of course useful and will vary according to your fighting style.

14. What's the best way to kill a Golem?

Depending on the characters you play, your tactics will vary. The Golem has a special attack called the Colossal Blow. This attack will stun the opponent and take the opponent out of war mode. However, the Golem only uses this special attack if it is targeted. Because the Golem can't hurt you if it can't touch you, archery attacks often are very effective. Golems can't be paralized, but a paralyze field will stop them. And magic and poison are worthless against them. Using a Golem against a Golem will work since you can heal your Golem while it kills the wild Golem, but you'll use up a lot of ingots.

15. What does a Golem weigh?

You can use scales to weigh a Golem. It weighs 10 stones. They're magical creatures.

16. Why can't I control more than one Golem?

Publish 16 changed the number of pets a player can control. Since the publish, a character gets 5 slots for pets. A Golem takes up 4 slots. So you can't control more than one Golem at a time. You can see the current status of your slots by looking at your Character Status gump. It will list the number of followers. For example, if you are controlling only a Golem, your follower status will read 4/5, meaning you've used up 4 of your 5 slots. This still leaves you room for a horse or ostard, but no more, and definitely not more than one Golem. If you have more pets stabled than you can hold, the stablemaster will give you a list of pets and you can choose which ones to redeem. Be careful! Apparently you can have at most 14 slots for stabling animals, but you have to have high animal taming, veterinary, and animal lore. So if you've stabled one Golem, you might not be able to stable another. And if you've got a Golem and you can't stable it or sell it, it won't be there when you log in tomorrow.