• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold in EM event Items compared to Spawn Items

Is UO gold wrapped up in EM event items or Fel spawn items

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You are aware there are groups of people who attempt to participate in every EM event, right? At least one of these groups of people take the items they get, sell them at really high prices, and then turn that gold into cash. So you may be one of the majority of people who don't care as much, but there are people abusing EM events so that they can monopolize the economy in UO.
I love the rhetorical gymnastics you guys keep doing to try and make a guy selling a purple fishsteak to some crazy rares collector sound somehow sinister. I mean it's seriously impressive, in a bizarre sort of way. You should be in politics. I mean just look at the way you use scary words to make mundane things sound evil.

Some guy goes to lots and lots of EM events? That doesn't sound scary enough, so suddenly he's "abusing" them! By attending them!

At least one person or group among many is getting an item at each EM event that features one? That doesn't sound scary at all, so now they're "monopolizing" the economy! Even though multiple competing groups are like the exact opposite of a monopoly!

Some dude sold a recolored doohickey with no actual functional use to some crazy collector for some arbitrarily large amount of gold? Well that sounds like a zero-sum player-to-player transaction that nobody else should have any possible reason to care about, but hey let's throw "high prices" in there, as if the cost of purple fishsteaks really means squat to the world one way or another!

And while we're at it, let's randomly imply that they're then selling their gold for cash money! Scandalous!

If you had just taken that one extra step and implied that people were using their nefarious EM item cash to buy drugs or fund terrorism, this would have been a truly perfect post. Instead it's merely brilliant and awesome. I am seriously stopping in mid-post to go up and click like on yours. You earned it.

But seriously, I pretty much AM the guy who goes to every EM event and I've gotten like two items in a year for doing it. I have friends who do the same who've gotten less. This is nothing but the local PVP Guys mad that someone, somewhere, is making money without coming into their little Felucca playpen to do it.

Well your playpen smells like pee, sir.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, counter-argument: EM event items being sold for large amounts are good for the economy. They encourage ultra-zillionaires sitting on huge dusty piles of gold to spread that gold around the economy buying up rare items. This puts gold into the hands of random people who aren't all zillionaires. These people will then run out and spend their newfound fortune on gear, and powerscrolls, and houses, and all the other things that make the UO economy go around.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What exactly is this abuse you speak of? Participating in many EM events? Selling items? Or the turning into cash?

Take almost any activity in UO, and you can meet your definition of "abuse".

You are aware there are groups of people who attempt to control champ spawns, right? At least one of these groups of people take the items they get, sell them at really high prices, and then turn that gold into cash. So you may be one of the majority of people who don't care as much, but there are people abusing champ spawns so that they can monopolize the economy in UO.

You are aware there are groups of people who attempt to uannattend script mining, right? At least one of these groups of people take the items they get, sell them at really high prices, and then turn that gold into cash. So you may be one of the majority of people who don't care as much, but there are people abusing Mining so that they can monopolize the economy in UO

Please, if you can, what is your specific argument?!?
Perhaps you did not read the post immediately above yours... they are doing these events on every server. With the amount of gold and/or cash they are generating from this, they are able to easily monopolize the economy of the entire game (all servers, not just one).

As far as champ spawns go, in no way is controlling champ spawns on a single server monopolizing the entire game's economy. A guild may rise up and be able to conquer Felucca on their shard and have NEARLY complete control of all champ spawns, but champ spawns are in no way the end all be all of the economy. Even back when Black Company was the #1 Felucca guild on Great Lakes with eyes on all champ spawns for roughly 18-20 hours out of every day, Doom still existed as a major source in the economy, and then those 4-6 hours that Black Company was not able to control the champ spawns, you better believe the smaller guilds took advantage and did their own spawns... even after DC* began to dominate Great Lakes - being able to far out number any other guild on the server at any time, other guilds on the shard were still able to complete champ spawns.

When it comes to the whole unattended script mining thing... it shows you know nothing of me or my former guild; Black Company. We as a guild hunted down more script miners and pked them on sight than any other guild ever has or ever will. Naturally, every script miner I come across gets reported. Unfortunately right now the GMs seem to not be doing anything about script miners. I found one a couple months back recalling in & out at his castle while he was on another character @ Yew hugging the gate. The miner did not react to my presence whatsoever. I paged a gm and sat there for at least an hour waiting and watching, even after I got a response from a GM, the character continued. I brought other people to witness, still no reaction from the miner. The miner was eventually killed. The next day, he was back at it again.

O

Old Man of UO

Sorry, I failed to make myself clear, by every event, I meant every event on EVERY SHARD.
I fail to see any problem at all with people who support the EM's by attending their events. I agree with Lord Drago on this... how is this abusing the system?

I thought the whole point of EM events was to get people to attend. By your way of thinking, how many EM events should people be allowed to attend - only one? Only EM events on one shard?

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Support the EMs? Are you kidding me? You've completely lost me after making that absurd statement.
It is quite obvious that there are a few of you who are completely oblivious as to what is taking place and not interested in knowing the truth or fixing the problem. So I don't know why those of you who are not interested continue to post.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If some guy wants to log into a dozen different shards and do a bunch of crazy events in hopes of getting a fuschia bagball to sell to some crazy person for a million zillion gold, well, I just don't care! The only people who can even remotely claim to be affected are other event participants who have to put up with the added competition, but I'm not even particularly sympathetic to that point of view.

Certainly you and your "Argh this somehow affects the economy in some kind of bad way I won't elaborate upon!" routine haven't earned any points.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Support the EMs? Are you kidding me? You've completely lost me after making that absurd statement.
It is quite obvious that there are a few of you who are completely oblivious as to what is taking place and not interested in knowing the truth or fixing the problem. So I don't know why those of you who are not interested continue to post.
Pointing out how bizarrely inaccurate your posts are is not the same as "not interested." If you do not like the events, do not attend them. Plenty of other ways to make money. At the end of the day your thread is about the fact that you are unable to consistently get items, and are jealous of those who do.

-Galen's player

O

Old Man of UO

No, just trying to follow up on your assertions, and you avoided answering the questions. How many EM events should should someone be allowed to attend and on how many shards.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pointing out how bizarrely inaccurate your posts are is not the same as "not interested." If you do not like the events, do not attend them. Plenty of other ways to make money. At the end of the day your thread is about the fact that you are unable to consistently get items, and are jealous of those who do.

-Galen's player
For one, this is not my thread. And 2, lol @ your accusation of me not being able to get items. I stopped attending events months ago due to arguments I made in my actual thread that was moved. Arguments that other players agreed with.
The fact is, I don't care one bit about getting the items myself. It is the pure fact that there is a group of people out there attempting to monopolize the economy of the entire game - which they do in part by having these items handed to them.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps you did not read the post immediately above yours... they are doing these events on every server. With the amount of gold and/or cash they are generating from this, they are able to easily monopolize the economy of the entire game (all servers, not just one).
By definition, if someone pays for an EM event item, they have already acquired the gold by some other in-game means.

An excellent way to generate new cash into the game, indeed probably the most-efficient way assuming you are not raided, is to work Fel champ spawns.

Further, by definition, buying EM items is entirely voluntary. I have no interest in most of the items I get, so I sell them. However, if I'm not interested enough to keep it when I get, I am also not interested enough to buy one from someone else. Most people are likewise not interested. If everyone was, no one would sell an item, and hence by definition the "economy of the entire game" is not monopolized. If everyone was interested, they would still be buying and selling items with gold acquired through other in-game means, and hence by definition the "economy of the entire game" is not monopolized. You still had to get the gold to begin with, trading between players in any item (be it an EM event item, a power scroll, crafted items, or just plain old loot) just repositions gold that was originally in existence, and more can still bey generated. As it stands now, some people are interested in EM items and some are not, and hence by definition the "economy of the entire game" is not monopolized.

As far as champ spawns go, in no way is controlling champ spawns on a single server monopolizing the entire game's economy. A guild may rise up and be able to conquer Felucca on their shard and have NEARLY complete control of all champ spawns, but champ spawns are in no way the end all be all of the economy. Even back when Black Company was the #1 Felucca guild on Great Lakes with eyes on all champ spawns for roughly 18-20 hours out of every day, Doom still existed as a major source in the economy, and then those 4-6 hours that Black Company was not able to control the champ spawns, you better believe the smaller guilds took advantage and did their own spawns... even after DC* began to dominate Great Lakes - being able to far out number any other guild on the server at any time, other guilds on the shard were still able to complete champ spawns.
On the contrary. Every player in the game has a use for power scrolls. Some choose to not use them, and choose to not deal with Fel in any way, shape, manner, or form. Getting a power scrolls means dealing with Fel in some way, even if it's just supporting the Fellie guilds by giving them your money. But, every player has a use for them: More power, more success chance at doing pretty much everything you do in-game. The potential reach of power scroll selling is thus limited only by the number of players in the game

By contrast, only a small fraction of players are willing to buy or sell EM event items. Most who attend the events do so for other reasons, and I've seen no evidence that as many of the items are bought and sold as is often implied. If 20 of an item spawns, I might see maybe 10 floating around for sale later.

And oh, btw: CREW would beg to differ with the notion that DC ever dominated Fel at any rate. DC for that matter attends EM events and, if one believes their bragging, does quite well at getting the items. Granted they are mostly their to grief, but they are also there to obtain items.

Your thread depends not on facts or reality: it depends on stringing enough scary words together enough time in the hopes that Jeff and Mesanna are idiots, will believe you, and then further will somehow decide that your words add up to making more stuff spawn in Felucca, thus forcing more players to participate in the Fel lifestyle....A lifestyle most players left behind long, long ago.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For one, this is not my thread. And 2, lol @ your accusation of me not being able to get items. I stopped attending events months ago due to arguments I made in my actual thread that was moved. Arguments that other players agreed with.
The fact is, I don't care one bit about getting the items myself. It is the pure fact that there is a group of people out there attempting to monopolize the economy of the entire game - which they do in part by having these items handed to them.
There is no reasonable way to argue that these items monopolize the economy of the entire game. This has been explained to you repeatedly. As to it not being your thread, it's funny how you and gorilla agree on everything.

-Galen's player

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Man you're looking at this all wrong. EM items are like... like... a legal way to defraud rich crazy people!

Hey you, rich guy banksitting in Luna! Look what I got here, a lantern! What does it do? Not a bloody thing! It makes a little light on the ground, same as the lanterns the provisioners sells for 5 gold each. Oh but this lanter is BLACK! Yeah, it's different! You want it don't you? Well you're gonna have to give me... one hundred... million... gold!

Haha, enjoy your lantern, dipstick. No one's ever really gonna ask you about it or care that you have it, but I'll be commissioning a new uber suit with your money and buying a new house with the change!

Look at me, I'm a shadowy master of the economy! I'm more powerful than anyone... except for the guy so rich he can afford to crap away a hundred mil on a freakin' lantern!

Let's face it, if someone is ruling the economy with an iron fist, it's probably that guy.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man you're looking at this all wrong. EM items are like... like... a legal way to defraud rich crazy people!

Hey you, rich guy banksitting in Luna! Look what I got here, a lantern! What does it do? Not a bloody thing! It makes a little light on the ground, same as the lanterns the provisioners sells for 5 gold each. Oh but this lanter is BLACK! Yeah, it's different! You want it don't you? Well you're gonna have to give me... one hundred... million... gold!

Haha, enjoy your lantern, dipstick. No one's ever really gonna ask you about it or care that you have it, but I'll be commissioning a new uber suit with your money and buying a new house with the change!

Look at me, I'm a shadowy master of the economy! I'm more powerful than anyone... except for the guy so rich he can afford to crap away a hundred mil on a freakin' lantern! Let's face it, if someone is ruling the economy with an iron fist, it's probably that guy.
Sell him enough lanterns, then that'll be you!

-Galen's player

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And oh, btw: CREW would beg to differ with the notion that DC ever dominated Fel at any rate. DC for that matter attends EM events and, if one believes their bragging, does quite well at getting the items. Granted they are mostly their to grief, but they are also there to obtain items.
By the way, are you aware I am a member of CREW? Just thought I'd correct your flawed statement before I continued reading the rest of your post.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way, are you aware I am a member of CREW? Just thought I'd correct your flawed statement before I continued reading the rest of your post.
You are in CREW and yet you agree that DC dominates champ spawns?

Umm....Yeah.

-Galen's player

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are in CREW and yet you agree that DC dominates champ spawns?

Umm....Yeah.

-Galen's player
you either misread what I said, or you are purposely ignoring the fact that crew grew more powerful than them on Great Lakes... AFTER DC* had dominated champ spawns for quite some time.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oh, and how do you feel about the "rich crazy people" being the ones selling those items?
Who gives a crap dude, it's a freakin' lantern. They can sell that junk back and forth among themselves all they want, WTF do I care?

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You should stop doing it then.

"What do you think about X?"
"I don't care."
"Haha then why are you posting about it?!"

Really? What kind of infantile crap is this? You and your buddy/alt Garillo do nothing but post terrible threads that nobody else ever likes or agrees with. People selling rares aren't "monopolizing" the economy and it was a stupid thing to say. Sorry. I'm sure Petra will wander in here when she gets on and delete a bunch of posts and send me a PM about how we're supposed to act like every stupid terrible post is actually reasonable and worthwhile, but you should probably take something away from the fact that no one ever thinks you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.