• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ghost Houses

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I go back to the cardinal piece of Crap RuneScape that blows UO away in number of subscriptions and is a total piece of crap in terms of content and Graphics. Pretty much which ever P2p server you log onto has atleast 500 people on server and very often 1000. Whats the difference between the two? The Runescape team keeps things interesting, they send regular emails asking what we can do to make things better, I have not played since 2002 and get emails asking what it would take to get me to sub again and come back........... They have a presence in gamestores even if it is just with gametime cards, they advertise primarily in Europe being a Brit based game and they in general make people feel they are getting their moneys worth. RS has been around since 1998/1999 and has grown from those of us who were the first 500 to several hundred thousand F2P and P2p subscribers. However in comparison to UO the game RS is total trash What you are saying about UO should then apply to RuneScape but for some reason it does not. I make the comparison between these two because they are comparative in age and graphics as well as overall theme and game play. I still go to the RS page and boards to chat with old friends and at the top of the page it shows how many people are logged in and playing usually between 20,000 and 40,000. I doubt seriously UO is any where near those numbers and UO should be.
The difference is that its free to play. That is why Runescape had so many players. The rest is gravey, but not much of a factor in attracting players. Any game that is free will get a ton of players, which is why I am an advocate for UO going f2p.

If Runescape had only subs like UO does it would be dead, or a ghost town of slowly dwindling die hards like UO.

Also the gameplay is based in addiction from what I understand like all the other so called "amusement park" mmo games. I personally know people who play RS and they absolutely hate it... yet they keep playing for all the little build in endorphin kicks for completing your little tasks. WOW as well, though clearly its also much much better made than RS and probably more fun to play.
The devs try to make UO more like that with their "grind only" style content additions, but the foundation of the game is directionless, so the effect is limited.

Really I don't know that UO SHOULD have so many players. It's kind of a mess. A lovely mess to those of us who can see past the layers and layers of dense, undocumented, incongruous systems and content (and clients...) and the outdated world design, muddled graphics...the modern top shelf mmo level of monthly sub cost, to the shinning gem beneath, sure. But really... it's niche retro game, and the niche it fills is not a big one, and has competition not only from older single players/non massive multiplayer games (which personally I spend far more time playing than I do UO) as well as modern retro style fare. And really, they should have just taken what was good and made a sequel with an updated framework rather than trying to layer modern touches on the ancient code. I fully support doing that now even, but I doubt it would be any good, in my opinion anyway.

I DO think UO could have a pretty good sized player base, even into the 100k+, but never with the 13 bucks a month sub rate. It simply wont happen no matter what you do. Adding some free option is the only method that will have a substantial effect on the user rate at this point. The game is just too outdated on a lot of different and important levels.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you are saying about UO should then apply to RuneScape but for some reason it does not. I make the comparison between these two because they are comparative in age and graphics as well as overall theme and game play. I still go to the RS page and boards to chat with old friends and at the top of the page it shows how many people are logged in and playing usually between 20,000 and 40,000. I doubt seriously UO is any where near those numbers and UO should be.
Disregard, already asked and answered. :)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If UO hit Steam as a F2P game with an Option to subscribe, we'd be swimming in fresh new souls. However, if UO hits Steam with only a monthly subscription and 30 days free.. its going to sink to the bottom of the Steam featured games, never to be browsed again.

I'm stating this from experience as I used to write reviews of newly introduced games to Steam while I worked at other game portal communities. So, I've seen what works and doesn't work on Stream.

An upfront cost doesn't bother many Steam patrons as long as it includes all the content. So give them High Seas and Stygian Abyss and let them play for free. Mystical Character tokens will sell like bottled water in the middle of the desert. Beef up that online store to include all kinds of things that aren't game altering. Players can purchase store coins with gold or US Dollars that way people can still purchase items if they exchange their gold for store coins. It winds up creating quite the economy if you look at its success in games such as Neverwinter and GW2. Diablo 3 crashed and burned because it was trying to be an MMO instead of just the multiplayer/battlenet arena game that it was known for. It was the exception.

Anyways. I'm barking up the wrong tree here cause there really isn't anything that can be done with my ideas. If UO is scheduled to go live on Steam then contracts have already been signed and the deal is done. Just spouting out loud about what I would have done if I were in Broadsword's shoes. *shrugs*

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think UO, like other MMOs (including star wars MMORPG), should just reduce or cut out the monthly cost. I recommend $5 per month subscription for UO. And then, have UO start selling products, goods, even quests and questlines. Make the game monetarily interactive. Give players choices. Imagine spending that other $8 you save each month, on new choices.

New content. Give power back to the players. Plus, maybe a person wants to spend more. Maybe I'll pay $30 a month for UO and SP, if the devs actually introduce something new. I'll pay for changes. I want to contribute.

I like the $ value for soulshards on SP. That's a great thing to do.

We could have so many options, choices, and rennovation. It's just unfortunate that it's just a few players on this shard introducing new ideas, hope, plans, fun. Most people are doing NOTHING. And that's the biggest problem. You can't just expect others to do all the work. Even new ideas are a good start.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
For example, maybe we could have a $20 or $25 unlock of a special ability.

A 12x12 custom plot house. I would LOVE that. I would pay for that straight out. Because I love more customization. I'd make a much huger, better designed house.

Everybody profits.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
However, in exchange for profit for UO and SP, I want to see the game developers actually do things. They need to justify their jobs, and this game. Devs are lacking too.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I bet if UO advertised an "Ultima Online Reawakening" then it would gain a lot of re subscribers who are simply fascinated that UO, the original MMORPG, is still alive and healthy.

Just get the word out, maybe enough

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
For example, we could have a $5 subscription, and then you can choose a questline, if you want, which is challenging, and whoever pays the $ for this unlock, upon success and completion of it, gets new deco, new costumes, new gear, etc. And it would be unique, because other players wouldn't have it.

Plus the player could just sell the stuff to others for gold in game, if they don't necessarily like the rewards.

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
We should just fire the current game development staff of UO and hire ourselves from SP players. We know what's up.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We should just fire the current game development staff of UO and hire ourselves from SP players. We know what's up.
I actually spent a whole year doing nothing but helping design/doing art for a game that failed to happen so I don't know if I could be trusted. It's a very taxing process. :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RS F2P has a fraction of the content of P2P and Granted F2P is the Gateway drug into P2P Subs I believe are $7 or so per month and they sell spins onsome wheel of fortune thingy that apparantly people don't mind dropping $100 on a regular basis for. I wonder if UO turned something like Origin into a Free shard with basic UO with most features disabled subscribing would unlock the option to get a transfer token to a regular prodo shard of their choice, where the full set of game features would be available. Not saying UO should become RuneScape but nothing wrong with applying marketing tactics that work to generate long term paying subs.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there is actually a very large potential player base out there that simply does not know UO even exist. I know many people that could care less about shiny realistic graphics and have the same approach to it that I do... "I want to play a fantasy game, if I want to play a realistic game I will go outside into the real world and play the real game" For many of us older players the simplistic graphics will win everytime. What is not winning are the screwed up game mechanics that keep being introduced that really don't improve the game and just make it more complex. Mining and LJ before they made it a total random joke was pretty straight forward and people actually gathered resources and actually could spend and enjoy time searcing for the elusive Valorite deposit or frostwood tree now I can spend hours mining and finally find a Val spot only to return to find it changed to a bronze spot. Like the mueseum, Zoo and library and so many other activities the worthwhile things are fit only for scripters because the average player will complete those turn ins about one time and say screw that........ There are alot of things in the game mechanics that the devs could simply return to how they were and tweaks to systems that would make them less grind and less complicated so they are actually fun to do. That is the one thing I have never understood about any UO De team, they spend so much time fixing things that are not broken, seem to ignore what is broken and look for ways to make the most simple of things complex and not worthwhile to do. And have their perma small number of player cheerleaders that believes every time a dev farts that they are whispering wisdom.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RS F2P has a fraction of the content of P2P and Granted F2P is the Gateway drug into P2P Subs I believe are $7 or so per month and they sell spins onsome wheel of fortune thingy that apparantly people don't mind dropping $100 on a regular basis for. I wonder if UO turned something like Origin into a Free shard with basic UO with most features disabled subscribing would unlock the option to get a transfer token to a regular prodo shard of their choice, where the full set of game features would be available. Not saying UO should become RuneScape but nothing wrong with applying marketing tactics that work to generate long term paying subs.
Yeah free play IS used as a gateway into games pay content, that is its main function. UO could absolutly benifit but i doubt it will happen.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah free play IS used as a gateway into games pay content, that is its main function. UO could absolutly benifit but i doubt it will happen.
It would be easy enough to do and a few well placed adverts would get the ball rolling of course they would have to make creating an account a lot easier aswell :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be easy enough to do and a few well placed adverts would get the ball rolling of course they would have to make creating an account a lot easier aswell :)
I think probably a lot of stuff would need to happen, dedicated shop/account management would be a must before you could even start to work on a plan. Of course they said outright that it wont happen, so...

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there is actually a very large potential player base out there that simply does not know UO even exist.
I'm going to have to disagree. How many 40+ folks are brand new to gaming and as such are unaware that UO exists? 1000? 10000? A couple hundred?

The demographics just aren't there. I think you'll understand where I'm coming from when UO hits Steam. Its great to believe that thousands are going to login when UO is introduced to gamers on Steam. But the reality is that the only thing that is changing is that new players don't have to type uo.com to download the client.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
*idly rolls two pennies together in her hand*

This thread went from double housing to livening up Siege in general to saving Sosaria. I just wanna toss in my two cents while we're all standing around the wishing well, just in case Broadsword or EA take a peek.

UO needs to go Free to Play. UO will have no choice, eventually, or else close down. I honestly think some one out there is trying to very VERY slowly introduce the veteran player base to the concept. The F2P model is already begun with Return to Brit. "Adventure packs" like High Seas, and lil deco packs that gave us raised garden beds, etc, are akin to Sims.

I pray to whatever deities exist, however, that they get UO away from that horrible account management before they do. I cannot begin to count how many players have come through NEW2 and left UO as a whole due to frustration with account management being the final straw. Lack of customer service is a problem also, but just making account management user friendly would be a HUGE help imo. Need to give UO its own spot in EA's store... that place is a real source of potential income if it wasn't such a nightmare to navigate and use.

Fix all of that first please before signing UO up to Steam.

BROWSER games are beginning to outpace UO, in terms of graphics. They survive by being F2P, and so can UO.

*tosses the two copper coins into the well*

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to have to disagree. How many 40+ folks are brand new to gaming and as such are unaware that UO exists? 1000? 10000? A couple hundred?

The demographics just aren't there. I think you'll understand where I'm coming from when UO hits Steam. Its great to believe that thousands are going to login when UO is introduced to gamers on Steam. But the reality is that the only thing that is changing is that new players don't have to type uo.com to download the client.
I think you might be suprised at how many people my age have not had the time to play online games and have reached a point where they are not grinding away in real life. Marketing the game to kids is a total dry hump, marketing to the more mature crowd many of which are in fact in their 50s and 60s and discovering that there is more to the internet than email and the recipe club. Hell my mom started playing UO a couple of years ago at 63 and had never heard of it until she saw me playing one days and took over my computer when a took a bathroom break. Now she has recruited 3 of her friends and they do whatever it is they do on Great Lakes and probably have recruited more of their friends since that time. I think you are only looking at a narrow demographic of folks who are more computer literate and aware and have been exposed to gaming. I have built my business RL on catering to the demographics people overlook or think won't bite. In doing so I built a large and very loyal customer base. But I don't waste time competing for the elite buyers, I shoot for the Food Stamp customers, the blue collar families and as one of my competitors puts **** THE FORD PEOPLE**** The ones that everyone says can't afford, or have no interest in buying local food. Funny thing is they do have a interest and will buy if you produce the things they want at a price they can afford. Broadsword/EA can do the same thing . They might not make as much each indivudual sale but the increased number of sales would improve the bottom line and I am sure EA like myself is not opposed to putting more money in their coffers. But you are right if no one will market to those people nope they will never be a sub and will probably continue never hearing about UO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*idly rolls two pennies together in her hand*

This thread went from double housing to livening up Siege in general to saving Sosaria. I just wanna toss in my two cents while we're all standing around the wishing well, just in case Broadsword or EA take a peek.

UO needs to go Free to Play. UO will have no choice, eventually, or else close down. I honestly think some one out there is trying to very VERY slowly introduce the veteran player base to the concept. The F2P model is already begun with Return to Brit. "Adventure packs" like High Seas, and lil deco packs that gave us raised garden beds, etc, are akin to Sims.

I pray to whatever deities exist, however, that they get UO away from that horrible account management before they do. I cannot begin to count how many players have come through NEW2 and left UO as a whole due to frustration with account management being the final straw. Lack of customer service is a problem also, but just making account management user friendly would be a HUGE help imo. Need to give UO its own spot in EA's store... that place is a real source of potential income if it wasn't such a nightmare to navigate and use.

Fix all of that first please before signing UO up to Steam.

BROWSER games are beginning to outpace UO, in terms of graphics. They survive by being F2P, and so can UO.

*tosses the two copper coins into the well*
Totally agree, the account management is a disaster for me it is frustrating to have to have so many emails because the account managment page only allows so many linked accounts per master account. Also frustrating trying to update the credit card when a card expires...... Maybe it took it.......Maybe it didn't just let me put all of my accounts under one master account and make the whole thing a lot more simple to navigate ....... And UO has customer service? I thought it was customer hinderance :)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll take your word for it then, Tyrath. With a subscription, UO won't last a minute on Steam. But I'll keep the faith that there are 100,000 man-childs out there to save UO once they discover the hidden treasure we enjoy so much. :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Steam is pretty much the equal of these sites that are always trying to get me to list the T5R CSA with them. Does nothing to generate business but makes the farms that don't have a clue how to market their products feel like they are doing something innovative and modern and then sit around wondering how the T5R has avg annual sales increases of 250% on average every year for the last 13 years, while they stagnate and die in 2-4 years. Customer interaction daily, listening to the customers, delivering what the customer wants and making the customer feel like they they are the most important person you have spoken with that day (Because they are) Not like some prick that is annoying you and they should feel privileged that you take the time to bother to sell them something. Which seems to be EAs CS model :)

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
F2P is the way to go. Regardless of whether you like the idea of it or not. There are ton's of free shards out there that are very, very active. I think people would be surprised to find the largest free shard is competitive with the busiest of production shards. These shards are also making a killing from their donation shops. Limit the accounts and character totals per IP address. Charge for some of the extra "bling" items that don't effect gameplay or pvp. I think in general, people either end up paying more for donation coins than account charges else they just buy donaion coins from others. Regardless, it is a good source of revenue for the company. If even 1000 older vets of Siege decided to create a new character on a free account, train it up and log in periodically to play the shard would be hopping.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Steam is pretty much the equal of these sites that are always trying to get me to list the T5R CSA with them. Does nothing to generate business but makes the farms that don't have a clue how to market their products feel like they are doing something innovative and modern and then sit around wondering how the T5R has avg annual sales increases of 250% on average every year for the last 13 years, while they stagnate and die in 2-4 years. Customer interaction daily, listening to the customers, delivering what the customer wants and making the customer feel like they they are the most important person you have spoken with that day (Because they are) Not like some prick that is annoying you and they should feel privileged that you take the time to bother to sell them something. Which seems to be EAs CS model :)
I feel like I'm missing a key reference here. :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like I'm missing a key reference here. :p
There are many sites that have spring up that try to get direct marketing farms to join their networks and tend to focus on getting those of us who offer a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) to join their network for a feeand usually 15%-20% of any sales made through the site. http://www.localharvest.org/thunder-5-ranch-M60595 is one of the very few good and reputable sites, it also has a arsenal of resources and information for both farm and Farm to Fork customers. A few of these networks like Local Harvest generate a limited amount of new business and there is no harm in being listed on them, so long as they are not the ones that jack a signifigant portion of your revenues. But these site can't be your primary connection to the public, as good as local harvest is, it is still only one marketing tool with limited ability to generate business. In concert with local and regional adverts, and attending markets outside of the percieved comfort zones is where the real generation of business happens and of course maintaining the existing customer base. New gains in business are pointless if you can't keep the customers already loyal to you satisfied. Steam looks to me to be very much like local harvest only for games instead of farms :) A potentially good tool to add to a multi tool chest, not a tool to hang all of your hopes on.

F2P has it appeal and should be looked at as a lead loss product. Use it to build interest and get a players feet in the water but not as the primary model to operate under. I compare with what I know product wise, every year I make thousands of jars of Persimmon Jelly, it is a oddball jelly that 90% of the people have never heard of and $7.50 per half pint it is a very hard sell. Solution buy a couple hundred plastic spoons and devote 2 cases of it to free samples to the market visitors. The FREE sample even if only spoonfull gets people to try it, once sampled 87% buy a jar of that 87% ... 90% are retained as regular customers that buy at least one jar per week until the mountain of Persimmon jelly is gone and thpse same folks start buying other products and jellys. I offered the Persimmon Jelly for sale for the first time in 1999 and had 100 jars of it and the first month sold exactly one, I cracked one open and offered free samples and the remaining 98 jars sold out in 4 hours. Forward to 2014 we are finishing up persimmon processing right now and have 5,200 jars of it for markets that will be sold out by May 1st 2015, the 2013/2014 persimmon run was 2,900 jars that sold out before Christmas 2013. I still devote around 10 cases (120 jars) $900.00 worth of Persimmon jelly to samples and many see that as a loss, but that one spoonfull free sample seals many purchases of 2-3 jars right after the tasting. The recipe I use and process was first written down by my Great, Great Grandmother in 1873 in the ancient book of T5R recipes, Its old, Many would say its obsolete, the process is unique and very long but yet when marketed in a way that attract peoples interest has managed to grow from 100 jars selling in 1999 to 5000+ selling in 2014/2015.... or $400 in sales in '99 to $37,500 projected for this run with $5,000 in label, jars, sugar and pectin invested, that is a good return. Giving away Free samples is great for generating new sales and growing the product. Giving away the whole jar not so much :) If they gave away a F2P taste with the option of buying a whole jar........

I don't care what business you are in or what your product is, there are basic marketing principles that work across the board. In businesses like mine and UO that depends on loyal repeat sales, the customer has to feel like they are a part of the family, when a customer has a sense and feeling of ownership in the venture and being a part of something special and you as the CEO, Team leader,or owner work not only to maintain that sense in the customer base but to grow and expand it to new family members, You are going to build a juggernaught over time. Yeah I am just a small direct marketing farmer with only 40 owned acres and 160 leased acres for pasture........ But if I am pulling $37,500 in sales from wild persimmon trees that grow in the fence rows as side product and succesfullly marketing it ( It btw is top quality great tasting product) Then perhaps I might have some wisdom in th the world of sales and marketing. Most folks look at me and think "Yep ignorant farmer." They misss the MBA, 20 years of diverse experience in every aspect of the food industry from field to managing a 5 star food joint before buying my own farm and returning to what I spent the first 20 years of my life doing and applying what I learned in conventional business to integrate with our traditional family business model and still uphold the traditional values, principles and practices. UO is a great product, it is highly marketable, no not everyone is going to like the flavor of it. But getting a spoonfull of UO into the right demographics mouths will go a long way towards having active shards and no new content needed since as it is there is a massive amount of content already in UO that willl be for all practical purposes NEW content for new subscribers. In turn the Dev team could then focus on fixing broken things, tweaking in game systems and improving the game that many of us already love and are loyal to. Very simple numbers go up, low investment to increase numbers, some breathing room to get age old problems and bugs cleaned up, and then integrating new contentent that does not break or bug old content. As for myself and persimmon jelly....... At some point over the next 8-10 years it will be on store shelves nationally, I am a patient man who believes in consistent, slow, and controlled growth that creates loyal customer bases each step down the path with real and measurable results. UO might be a mature horse but she still has a lot of miles left in her, if she is taken care of and they lead her in the right directions.

mikni

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem isn't with UO it's with EA/Mythic/Broadsword or whatever. There are a ton of players (even a lot of new ones that never played UO before.) They are just not playing on the official servers. You can get more new content, more events and better support and it's all free if you want to. And I think those servers together might rake in in cash that even rivals what EA get, due donations/micro transactions. I once thought UO as a game was dying, now I know it's thriving. You just can't see it.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a bit surprised that none of the devs have had their attorney sent out cease and desist letters to the owners of those shards. Especially the ones that have learned how to sell in-game items.

Don't get me wrong, I've played many of them...seen many come and go and I'm sure the developers have kept an eye on some of them. I'm not sure their reasoning, but it would be easy to track down the owners of those servers and get them to shut them down with a simple letter. Guess they prefer that they exist than spend a few bucks to get them to stop making money on their product...la

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem isn't with UO it's with EA/Mythic/Broadsword or whatever. There are a ton of players (even a lot of new ones that never played UO before.) They are just not playing on the official servers. You can get more new content, more events and better support and it's all free if you want to. And I think those servers together might rake in in cash that even rivals what EA get, due donations/micro transactions. I once thought UO as a game was dying, now I know it's thriving. You just can't see it.
Dead on and what I have been trying to say! The problem is NOT the product, its in how the product is handled and delivered. There is a huge community of Free SHarders out there logging in and playing every day. All they really need is a reason and motivation to play OSI official shards. Just searched UO free shards and it seems there are well over 200 hundred of them....... Many of them adverting features that us OSI players have heard for years "Can't be done" LOL maybe Broadsword should bring some of the bigger ones into the fold and learn how it CAN be done.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am a bit surprised that none of the devs have had their attorney sent out cease and desist letters to the owners of those shards. Especially the ones that have learned how to sell in-game items.

Don't get me wrong, I've played many of them...seen many come and go and I'm sure the developers have kept an eye on some of them. I'm not sure their reasoning, but it would be easy to track down the owners of those servers and get them to shut them down with a simple letter. Guess they prefer that they exist than spend a few bucks to get them to stop making money on their product...la
http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/emulatorfaq.shtml It only is not allowed if they actually enforce their own license agreement.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think it would be a slam dunk case. Many of the PRS are making money from their players...la

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think so as well since the intellectual property belongs to EA and the free servers are using that material without license for "Donations" that any court in the world would find for EA and most likely with out a lot of litigation. I don't think individually these free shards have the capital to fight a financial powerhouse legally and even less motivation to devote resources to a battle that anyone can see is lost from the get go. Plus everyone pretty much dislikes to all out loathes EA anyway so not really going to hurt EA to be a bully from a PR perspective :) I still like the diplomatic approach because there is some real talent running many of those shards that probably know more about code than the official Dev teams do.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a ton of talent running some of these shards Tyrath. Would be interesting if they ever went the route of what the game Shards mentions. That is the ability for players to run their own "shard" of the game that players can log onto. The logistics wouldn't work im afraid but the concept would be pretty awesome. Again it would require a F2P model and some sort of donation store that offers kick backs to EA/Broadsword. Maybe it would force Broadsword to get those creative juices flowing to compete with some of these player run variations.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Small request here. How about we get back to a discussion on the Ghost Houses and move away from Emulation based servers. Sooner or later someone will slip up and name one then the thread will either get locked or we'll have to issue and infraction and remove the post. I'd rather we had to do neither.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Small request here. How about we get back to a discussion on the Ghost Houses and move away from Emulation based servers. Sooner or later someone will slip up and name one then the thread will either get locked or we'll have to issue and infraction and remove the post. I'd rather we had to do neither.
True enough just wish the ghost houses were not a symptom of curable disease that everyone seems to want to ignore :( But yep Make the Ghost house owner refresh every 30-90 days or their dirt plot or empty house falls. Whether its easy to get around siege now or not does not matter people even if a small number coming onto shard should have the opportunity to place a house in the locations that are just sitting empty and forgotten by the owner. I would rather see empty plots and a few new faces than full plots and people not sticking around because they can only place in the middle of Malas or plop down a 10x10 in a better location. If these ghost house owners were actually logging into Siege and playing this would not even have crossed my mind.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm an active prodo player who decided to give siege a chance, and spent several weeks of non stop play to build a character. I now own a classic tower that is largely undecorated. However, I log every day to build skill and hit some chests. I wouldn't play if I didn't have the house to store imbuing/lockpicking stuff, but I agree that houses should decay after a certain point if no one uses them. 30 days seems more than sufficient, and allows someone who has a two week life emergency plenty of time to log in for a refresh.

What I HAVE learned from this thread is I need to actually decorate my roof :)

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok... Just brainstroming.

If you don't own a house on the server (e.g. Siege), your bank storage would increase to that of a castle, a keep or some other substantial number. If you place a house on the server, your bank storage reverts to your normal limit and functions the same as an over-loaded bank box on the test center.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm an active prodo player who decided to give siege a chance, and spent several weeks of non stop play to build a character. I now own a classic tower that is largely undecorated. However, I log every day to build skill and hit some chests. I wouldn't play if I didn't have the house to store imbuing/lockpicking stuff, but I agree that houses should decay after a certain point if no one uses them. 30 days seems more than sufficient, and allows someone who has a two week life emergency plenty of time to log in for a refresh.

I was a fan of the second house being no larger than a small stone tower. The refresh every X number of days would not effect you or anyone else that is actually logging in. Just make one house a primary and one the secondary and the log in sufficient to reset the timer. All I am saying really and want is if people are going to have a house on a shard they should atleast be minimally active on that shard. Of course I also think the second house rules should apply to all shards.... IE if you want to have a main house on atlantic you should be able to plop your secondary down on Origin and so long as you minimally are active on Origin then your house will stand.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was a fan of the second house being no larger than a small stone tower
The only problem with that is that you know we'll have a bunch of small wooden houses sitting in the middle of a plots big enough for an 18x18. ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep ....... Starts thinking Malas is very big and largely vaccant :)

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always had a grandfathered house on Siege/Atl. This is why I thought the siege house should require refreshing.

If someone wants to pay a montly sub just for siege real estate - cool. Inactives cluttering - not so much.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want it to seem like I am against players who play other shards shouldn't have houses on Siege. That ship has passed and I doubt it will ever get reverted. Just make it so players need to refresh their house/plot every 30 days or so. If you are logging into Ultima you can take the time to come to Siege once a month to merely refresh your house...la

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I vary. Some weeks I'm on Siege every day and barely touch Atl. Others I may hit siege once in the week. Because I have 99.99999% of my resources on Atl, it is hard for me to ignore that shard, especially during events. On siege I killed 3 trophies and stopped because that took 50% of my gold leftover from house buying. On atl I've probably done 40 or 50, and plan on hunting much of Thanksgiving. But I did put a bar on the roof of my Siege house :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vary. Some weeks I'm on Siege every day and barely touch Atl. Others I may hit siege once in the week. Because I have 99.99999% of my resources on Atl, it is hard for me to ignore that shard, especially during events. On siege I killed 3 trophies and stopped because that took 50% of my gold leftover from house buying. On atl I've probably done 40 or 50, and plan on hunting much of Thanksgiving. But I did put a bar on the roof of my Siege house :)
How much do the licenses or trophies cost? Not sure how the system works, but I have seen a few licenses in packs I've snooped...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
special if you steal one that document a nice size just before they show it to the hunter

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I knew this Hunter Challenge would be a little different here than in Trammel :p

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least if they're stealable this will be a bit of a thief upgrade, then again, I don't know that there have been that many active thieves around. It seems like the packs I've snooped recently have not been thief-proofed...la