• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Get your pens and paper ready!

K

kikilon

Hail all!
OPS would like you all to know that it is holding its first ever UO Fan Fiction Contest!
For all of you budding authors, this is a great opportunity to showcase your talents, and perhaps get a little bit of exposure for your wonderful stories. With some of the great stories that people have written for pure enjoyment, we are hoping that with our 'incentives' people will come up with the greatest stories about UO that they have ever written!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions of entry :

Entries will be accepted no earlier than the 1st of June and no later than 11:59pm on the 14th of June.

All stories MUST be UO related, and must follow the TOS rules regarding profanity etc. Apart from that your story may be in any style or about any aspect of UO that you desire.

A limit of approximately 3000 words applies.

All entries are to be emailed to [email protected] by the due date. Please leave your name and ICQ# and/or email address with your post so that we can contact you and so that others may verify that you are NOT a member of OPS.

Multiple entries are not allowed.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Our prize pool for the first of our fiction competitions is this:

1st prize:
A tall candle(daily rare), a pillow with tassels, a wall trophy of the winners choice & 50k in gold.

2nd prize:
A small painting, 5 dried herbs, 6 dried onions, 5 dried flowers, a whip & 30k in gold.

3rd prize:
a pair of coloured sandals, 1 horseshoe, 1 silver wire, 1 forged metal, 2 reversed ingots, stacked arrows & 20k in gold.

We wish to have a more thoughtful prize than just gold, as we want to reward people for the thought that they put into thier stories.
In the future, we hope to have more valuable rares as prizes, but we need your support now to make it happen.....

After reviewing all of the stories, the OPS librarians will transcribe them into books for the OPS Keep Library. Where they will be stored for all to see and read at any time. The stories will also be posted to the OPS forums, with a link from the Oceania Stratics forum as well.

Judges for this contest will be 3 members of OPS. No member of OPS will be permitted to enter the competition.

For more details, refer to the OPS web site.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.astrogamer.com/ops>Oceania Player Seers</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by kikilon on 05/31/01 08:40 AM.</FONT></P>

K

kazazal

FINALLY! A competition I gave a chance in!!!

Dont forget, if your bow isnt working, you probably ran out of arrows!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by kazazal on 05/28/01 06:38 AM.</FONT></P>

O

OutRage

god why doesnt this thread go down to the bottom?

*sigh*

<font color=red> OutRage [Elite Warlord, -E-] </font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://elite.pvpers.com> The Elite </a>
<a target="_blank" href=http://town.uo.com/factions/> Faction Guild Points and Rank </a>

K

kazazal

it is probabaly locked here considering it is an ongoing idea and quest.

Dont forget, if your bow isnt working, you probably ran out of arrows!

C

CWSMalachai

So how come this gets locked to the top and not the BMG 3 on 3 comp? Both are competitions open to anyone playing Oceania, both offer prizes and both are judged within 5 days of one another.
Why the favoritism?

L

Lysanthia

Because some of us havent been able to get to the forums in a while because the flu took a hold of me. Its also now sticky. If it's a shard wide event that anyone can participate in then I will sticky it. I'm not about to show favourtism I was simply sick.

L

Lord Jackson

The due date keeps getting pushed back :p Not enough stories in yet?

<font color=red>Lord Jackson, towncrier and looter extraordinare!</font color=red>

Everyone knows town criers don't know what a cure is......

<font color=blue>Please, take a moment's silence to remember thing, my pure white wyrm</font color=blue>

Q

Questor

What format do you want them in?
In the Email as text? Word docs OK? etc

Orlando ~ Rose Knight of the Sword
Hemingway ~ a young lass and the sea
Durmast ~ by the pricking of my thumbs ...
Allegra ~ music soothes the savage beast

P

Polenth

I pity the poor soul that has to type up 3000 word stories into UO books. Still, you have a keep, so you'll have plenty of room for the pile of books each story will take up. :)

--
Polenth, player of...

*Europa* Polenth, Samara, Dara, Jarna, Tiasinte
*Oceania* Polenth, Branwen, Molly, Strawberry, Zinragi

É

élan

Well 1000 words wasn't really long enough for a crafted story. It does say UP TO 3000 so if one can manage to write a story under 1000 then that is good too.

And yes I do pity the person who has to type that into UO books. I'm willing to help in that regard.

V

Von Ravend

There is a program that will allow you to input on screen from a text file (so you just add the book in text form into the program and "bobs your uncle")
I'll see if I can find it (Its like UOWedding etc type program).

<center>

K

kazazal

Although I share your ideas Grandal, it is useless to whine about it Im afraid. I made several posts on the OPS board and here to get her back in to OPS, and the didnt listen.

Well, as you said, the best always go first.

Dont forget, if your bow isnt working, you probably ran out of arrows!

K

kikilon

Uhm.... who said I wanted to go back?

I am very happy of the work I did with OPS, but I'm not overly sad to go.

It doesn't mean all ties aresevered.
I'll still be at any event I can make it to, and help in any way I can.

It only means instead of doing organisational work for OPS, I can now work my cartographer seriously.

So I hope to see everybody at the next OPS events as well.

And as for the times, they weren't changed as far as I can see.
The times in this post still apply, and tehy were the ones originally agreed on.
the only thing that was changed was the word limit, which was upped.

Can't wait to read the winning tale!

It's due soon, so if you didn't send anything in, get back to your writing table!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.astrogamer.com/ops>Oceania Player Seers</a>

R

Red Wolf

Heh this thread has had more views than the ROC thread! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif
666 in fact when I clicked on it... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sgrin.gif
Time to get unstuck maybe?

-----------------------------------

V

Von Ravend

Thats because the ROC sounds (and is) boring... Its also a replacement one of some others that were stuck at the top for awhile.

Re the Book program.. There is a copy of it in the UOWedding program, that can be gained from Stratics main page.

Re this becoming unsticky... Sometime after the event closes...

<center>

R

Red Wolf

<blockquote><hr>

Entries will be accepted no earlier than the 1st of June and no later than 11:59pm on the 14th of June.

<hr></blockquote>

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/tongue.gif

-----------------------------------

K

kikilon

Well, entry has closed, but a winner hasn't been announcced yet.

I guess the heaps of books and notes will take a while to sift through, and then you have to pick a winner, which is always the toughest part....

Don't throw that tattered map away, someone may want it!