• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gentlemen, your assistance please

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have been taken to task for providing erroneous information. I seek your assistance, as the true masters of your craft, to rectify the situation.
Without the name of the sender, here is the content of the email I have received.
Dear stratics

I'm upset I'm looking for information on stealing and all the info is wrong.
I'm lvl 70.7 and I'm using ring mail tunics to train with weight of 15. All the charts say is 10 stones you need to be more diligent in making information correct.

S

Shinobi

I'm assuming they are looking at this:

Stealing

You can direct him/her to my guide if needed, being that it goes into more detail:

Professions: The Thief

Regardless, both sections suggest a thief at 70 Stealing should be stealing 7 stone items, certainly not 15. At 15 stones (even at 120 Steal), the thief would be failing 100% of the time (unless Random Stealing).

I'm not sure where the confusion happened, but the site's info is correct.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something is wrong. Having gotten two more emails as politely and charmingly worded as the first I tried logging in to test.

On Europa my 120 thief failed to steal a ringmail tunic (targeted of course) 5 times, succeeding on the 6th attempt.

On test center setting a char to the 70.7 stealing this individual quoted my char successfully stole the tunic 10 times in a row, no failures.

S

Shinobi

Something is wrong. Having gotten two more emails as politely and charmingly worded as the first I tried logging in to test.

On Europa my 120 thief failed to steal a ringmail tunic (targeted of course) 5 times, succeeding on the 6th attempt.

On test center setting a char to the 70.7 stealing this individual quoted my char successfully stole the tunic 10 times in a row, no failures.
Without Random Stealing? That's strange...i wonder if they changed something. Or maybe it's just another bug (like the one where we couldn't steal from animals/monsters for a while), except this one works IN our favor? I'm not sure, but that is definitely strange.

Yet again though, unless something changed with the gaining system, 7 stones is the proper amount to be training with at 70.7. But to be Direct Stealing 15 stone tunics (especially that successfully at such a low skill level), that's another issue entirely, lol.

P.S. Just had another thought. I know there was a semi-popular thread in UHall talking about increasing the weight thieves can steal. I wonder if they saw this and made a change...but if they did i'm sure we would've heard something, considering that the one time they toss thieves a bone they'll want us to know about it.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
15 stones should be impossible under the current rules. 10 stones shouldn't even be possible randomly stealing at 70.7.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Really bad experience with RNG? Also, it depends on how many people/npcs are around. If no one is around then it's quite possible to get it without failure several times. If there are a lot of npcs around then there will difficulty.

We have been taken to task for providing erroneous information. I seek your assistance, as the true masters of your craft, to rectify the situation.
Without the name of the sender, here is the content of the email I have received.
Dear stratics

I'm upset I'm looking for information on stealing and all the info is wrong.
I'm lvl 70.7 and I'm using ring mail tunics to train with weight of 15. All the charts say is 10 stones you need to be more diligent in making information correct.
But as for this, Shinobi has a great guide, he posted the link here. Further questions they can definitely come by the forums of course.

But I have absolutely no idea where that person is getting their information from. Stealing anything above 12 stones is impossible. Even dated information at the very basic suggests 6 stones for 60, 7 for 70, 8 for 80, etc... Did they say specifically where they got the information?

S

Shinobi

15 stones should be impossible under the current rules. 10 stones shouldn't even be possible randomly stealing at 70.7.
Actually, probably 2 years ago we tested Random Stealing. We had 3 thieves at 120 Stealing, each trying to Directly Steal a 15 stone ringmail tunic, failing every attempt. Then, one thief with 53 Stealing tried with Random Stealing, and succeeded every time.

So, with Random Stealing, it is possible. Direct shouldn't be though. We were in a town near NPCs during the test, but I don't see how being away from NPCs could raise your success rate THAT drastically...but then again, maybe it does.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Further testing today yielded more expected results.
Direct stealing in Buccs' bank at 77 stealing the char failed to steal an item weighing 10 stone, failed an item weighing 15 stone and got a 'too heavy to steal' message for an item weighing 17 stone.
I conclude that the person so scathing about the information we have on Stratics is stealing in his own home with no 'witnesses'. How he managed to gain as he claimed doing that I've no idea.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For anyone that wants to gain in stealing, I have, and always will suggest using stackable items such as gold, scrolls and bottles to make sure the weight of the item is correct.

Steal in plain site of players and vendors to maximize gains. I haven't played an OSI server for years now, but I can't believe they have changed the stealing dynamics too much since I left. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the mechanics are exactly the same since the EA developers haven't given a **** about thieves for a very very very long time...la

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed, Rico. I've just recently been training stealing up and it's the same as always, aside from the gold weighing less these days. I think you might even gain better considering you get "partial" steals, meaning some gold but not the entire pile. I'm not sure if you'd fail entirely if the item was say a weapon or not but it seems like I have had more success with gold and thus more skill gain chances.

C

Caldwin_DDP

I'm not going to contradict anything Shinobi says on the subject but you might try training with a crystal ball of knowledge. I'd have thought from my experiments that about 8 stones would be good at your skill level. But, I'm not a very good thief!

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not going to contradict anything Shinobi says on the subject but you might try training with a crystal ball of knowledge. I'd have thought from my experiments that about 8 stones would be good at your skill level. But, I'm not a very good thief!
I've stolen a few of those crystal balls... they weigh 10 stones ;)