• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

General armor question - mana regen

S

Seismic

I have an ABC archer and want to find out if it's better (cheaper) to buy NON-ACTIVE meddable armor (ie -> Ringmail, Studded, etc) with Mana Regeneration/Mana Leech rather than looking for straight-up leather armor with these modifiers?

I can see the benefit of looking for specific leather armor (or mage armor) for a MAGE with the Mediation and/or Focus skill. But what about an archer WITHOUT these 2 skills? Can I save myself some money and go with other, non-active med pieces?

I

InTooDeep

Yes, you could save some money. The attraction to meddable armor is partly, that if you are a human, even if you have invested no points into med or focus, you still get 3 mana regen and 2 stam regen (2 MR from 20 med and 1 MR and 2SR from 20 focus). You still get the 1 MR and 2 SR from Focus regardless of mage armor or not. If you are elf though, and do not have either skill, then the type of armor that you wear doesn't matter as much.

S

Seismic

Yes, you could save some money. The attraction to meddable armor is partly, that if you are a human, even if you have invested no points into med or focus, you still get 3 mana regen and 2 stam regen (2 MR from 20 med and 1 MR and 2SR from 20 focus). You still get the 1 MR and 2 SR from Focus regardless of mage armor or not. If you are elf though, and do not have either skill, then the type of armor that you wear doesn't matter as much.
I'm human and plan to stay that way since I am more fond of the JAOT properties :).

So to make sure I understand this - since I am human, I *should* look for meddable armor ONLY, correct?

My question with this is that I thought in order to have the game code check for your armor types, you had to directly invoke the Meditation or Focus skill? Since I'm not doing this, will it even check?

I

InTooDeep

Yes, you will want meddable armor only to benefit from the JoAT. Also, I don't believe you can directly invoke focus; med you can, but you still regenerate mana passively using both skills as long as you have them.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, you will want meddable armor only to benefit from the JoAT. Also, I don't believe you can directly invoke focus; med you can, but you still regenerate mana passively using both skills as long as you have them.
And someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought medable armor was needed for you to ACTIVELY meditate - ie invoke the skill.

Passive meditation is unaffected by medable armor.

So as an archer, if you never try to 'actively meditate' then it doesn't matter what armor you wear.

That was my understanding but then - its hard anymore to 'verify' these things without testing them out.

Someone go out with a mage and mana dump to 0 and passively regen back to full mana and time it.

Now do the same thing with a non-med piece of armor (metal with no mage property).

Do you get the same time to regen? If so then passive regen not affected by armor.

N

Nestorius

With non-medable armor all mana regen due to the meditation skill, active and passive, is nullified. Focus is not affected.

Medititation skill give 1 mana regen per 10 pts, right? So if you have 5 pieces of non-medable +2 mana regen armor, that's the same as having GM Meditation.

N

Nenime

I tested this incidentally the other day. I geared up my Archer which has 100 Meditation but I use this only passively. The only non-medi armor piece was the Jackal's Collar and the Mana-reg rate was poor. As soon as I changed the Collar for the 'Voice of the Fallen King' everything was fine again.

I just see Nestorius post. I fully agree.

S

Seismic

Great to know! I will now only search for medabble armor.. THANKS guys :)