• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gaining Tailoring??

G

Guide says, 115->120 studded hiro sode?
I just blindy followed the guide and then i noticed, that

Studded Leggings is at 97% success, ( did not notice that
)
Studded Tunic is at 91.8%
Hiro sode is 100%!!

My cap is 120 and im at 114.9. I gained GGS today, but thats it..
I dont have any talisman active.

So, did they change that you can gain even at 100% success? if not, then guide needs update..

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can gain until Exceptional is at 100%. Are you looking at the Hiro Sode or the Studded Hiro Sode? I'm at work, so I can't check the gump.

G

Ah, thanks.
( i checked Studded, but its not 100%exeptional.. , its the success rate )

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

You can gain until Exceptional is at 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, wrong...

You can gain until your Success rate is equal to your scrolled skill cap (which for a 120 PS is 120% success). However, amounts over 100% aren't displayed.

From 0-95 skill, your chance to make exceptional (with out a talisman) is Success chance - 60%. So you can see your success chance over 100% by adding 60% to the exceptional chance to see your actual Success chance that isn't rounded down to 100%.

From 100 skill, up, your Exceptional chance is Success chance -45%. So, add 45% to the Exceptional chance to see your actual Success chance.

from 95.1 to 99.9, as an artifact of the pre-powerscroll system, the exceptional chance rate of advancement goes up 2.5 times the rate of the Success chance. Instead of both advancing 0.2% every 0.1 skill, Exceptional chance goes up 0.5% each 0.1 skill in this stretch, so figuring your actual success chance is a bit more difficult.

It is this bit of math on which the skill gain guides are based on for smith &amp; tailor.

Quick chart.

Provided one does not have a talisman equipped....

Up to 95 skill
One can gain on an item as long as its chance of exceptional quality is...
No PS / 105 / 110 / 115 / 120 PS
40% / 45% / 50% / 55% / 60%

Above 100 skill
One can gain on an item as long as its chance of exceptional quality is...
No PS / 105 / 110 / 115 / 120 PS
55% / 60% / 65% / 70% / 75%

This is a rough treatment for items that hit 100% success between 95 &amp; 100 (these items are few, if they exist at all). numbers assume no PS used (add 5% per 5 points over 100 for power scroll used)
95.0 skill: 40% Exceptional as above for 95.0 skill. add +0.3% for each 0.1 skill above the whole number (95.5 would be 41.5%, for example)
96.0 skill: No scroll gain visual check is 43% exceptional (add value of PS over 100 for scrolled amounts). Increment as needed, as described in the 95.0 skill line for values between whole numbers of skill.
97.0 skill: 46% Exceptional (see 95.0)
98.0 skill: 49% Exceptional (see 95.0)
99.0 skill: 52% Exceptional (see 95.0)
100.0 skill: 55% Exceptional, and Success and Exceptional gain rates fall back into synchronized advancement at 0.2% per 0.1 skill.

Studded Hiro Sode hit 100% chance of success (55% chance of exceptional) at 110 skill, and 120% (75% chance of exceptional) at 120 skill. So, they can be gained on all the way to 120 skill, but the gains will be VERY slow going as one approaches 120. Be sure to use a salvage bag for the 1 extra leather back from each bonus of the bag.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure you are right. It's always been easier for me just to look at my exceptional chance to determine if I can gain or not. Of course some items (i.e. oil cloths) can't be made exceptional, so I just used the charts for that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Feel free to steal the infro for a chart if you want- I'm in the middle of updating the Smith FAQ, and eventually I'll have a chart there that will show all the gain end points for all smith items that don't require other ingredients or skills.